post #1081 of 1487 Old 09-28-2013, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post

I'm glad this is changed for the better. I will remove some of my angry comments. I felt like having something I owned and used remote-ly taken away was a very bad feeling.

Ultimately it's down to semantics though in some sense. A new version could have new pricing but it shouldn't affect the use of existing versions ... just those versions wouldn't qualify for support.

I guess it's the evolving culture of software.

-Brian

I understand why you felt this way. It is a mater of semantics as you said, but let's admit that the developer handled this change in the wrong way. Such a change must be handled very carefully, and my experience with him, is that he lacks attention to perception. That's how he gets into trouble with his "attitude" . You always see that word in comments about this program. I'm glad he fixed this problem as fast as he did, but it should have never occurred in the first place.

Now you are also right about the evolving culture of software. More and more we are going to see software for rent as opposed to for sale. This is going to be a hard transition for some I am sure.

Now if only this version did not crash as it tries to load your 1.x config, and if my Sony 2013 TV would work, I think I'd see this as a big step forward.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1487 Old 09-28-2013, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Do we have to wait for 2.01 to get IR back if we already paid for it? Restore purchases doesn't seem to work.

'Best comment on one of my AVS reviews ever, "What did I just try to read!" Latest:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1083 of 1487 Old 09-28-2013, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Hi everyone!
I have been playing around with Roomie for a while and yesterday, I ran into a few glitches whilt trying to fine tune it...I have searched this thread and also the roomie's website but could not find clear answers to my questions...please, anyone can help.?

1. I have an Oppo BDP-103. Roomie sees it but is having a hard time controlling it: the discrete on off commands seem to work randomly. I have read somewhere about that problem, it seems like those discrete on and off commands were working like a power toggle cmmand instead? If someone got the discrete on and off commands to work, please, how did you do it? As an example, if I exit my Oppo acivity, i have programmed Roomie to send a power off command to the Oppo. Sometimes, that doesnt turn the Oppo off, but also, it fhe Oppo is already off, it turns it on...

2. I am using an ISY-99 to control lights in my HT. I cannot get Roomie to control any of my Insteon lights. On that one I am at lost...Roomie sees my ISY and lists it in the available devices. But none of my individual lights show up in Roomie? I have entered my ISY's user name and password in the Roomie's Insteon lighting device Authentification section. Below that section, it says: manifest devices: it says 0, no device is showing. From what i understand, this is where i should see all my individual Insteon switches, right? when i try "update manifest" Roomie seems to be searching, but nothing comes up...aargh...

3. This one I am afraid to try...I dont understand very well Roomie's backup procedure and I am afraid to erase my hard work...I use Roomie with my ipad but I would also like to use my ipod to control just one of the activities I created. I got the ipod to duplicate my ipad setup. How can get the ipod to show just one activity and my ipad to show every activity? I am afraid to make changes on the ipod and delete some devices or activities on it since those changes seem to be automatically sent to the ipad too...What should I turn off to do that? I still would like the Ipod to remain in sync with my ipad for the activity it will control...

Thanks for your help! don't hesitate to ask me more questions on point me to the right post it necessary!

Stef
post #1084 of 1487 Old 09-28-2013, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowknown View Post

Do we have to wait for 2.01 to get IR back if we already paid for it? Restore purchases doesn't seem to work.

Website says it will be fixed in a day or two. Hopefully you have something to fall back upon in the mean time.

edit- Or you could subscribe. You may even be able to get a refund later. I would just wait though...
post #1085 of 1487 Old 09-28-2013, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 197
I just updated mine and it said something about ir subscription. I just tapped off to the side ad the same message came back up. I tapped to the side again and then the message went away and I was able to use the remote without issue. Try that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #1086 of 1487 Old 09-28-2013, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

I just updated mine and it said something about ir subscription. I just tapped off to the side ad the same message came back up. I tapped to the side again and then the message went away and I was able to use the remote without issue. Try that.
No work-y.

'Best comment on one of my AVS reviews ever, "What did I just try to read!" Latest:
post #1087 of 1487 Old 09-28-2013, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by stef2 View Post

Hi everyone!
I have been playing around with Roomie for a while and yesterday, I ran into a few glitches whilt trying to fine tune it...I have searched this thread and also the roomie's website but could not find clear answers to my questions...please, anyone can help.?

1. I have an Oppo BDP-103. Roomie sees it but is having a hard time controlling it: the discrete on off commands seem to work randomly. I have read somewhere about that problem, it seems like those discrete on and off commands were working like a power toggle cmmand instead? If someone got the discrete on and off commands to work, please, how did you do it? As an example, if I exit my Oppo acivity, i have programmed Roomie to send a power off command to the Oppo. Sometimes, that doesnt turn the Oppo off, but also, it fhe Oppo is already off, it turns it on...

2. I am using an ISY-99 to control lights in my HT. I cannot get Roomie to control any of my Insteon lights. On that one I am at lost...Roomie sees my ISY and lists it in the available devices. But none of my individual lights show up in Roomie? I have entered my ISY's user name and password in the Roomie's Insteon lighting device Authentification section. Below that section, it says: manifest devices: it says 0, no device is showing. From what i understand, this is where i should see all my individual Insteon switches, right? when i try "update manifest" Roomie seems to be searching, but nothing comes up...aargh...

3. This one I am afraid to try...I dont understand very well Roomie's backup procedure and I am afraid to erase my hard work...I use Roomie with my ipad but I would also like to use my ipod to control just one of the activities I created. I got the ipod to duplicate my ipad setup. How can get the ipod to show just one activity and my ipad to show every activity? I am afraid to make changes on the ipod and delete some devices or activities on it since those changes seem to be automatically sent to the ipad too...What should I turn off to do that? I still would like the Ipod to remain in sync with my ipad for the activity it will control...

Thanks for your help! don't hesitate to ask me more questions on point me to the right post it necessary!

I was having buggy issues using IR with my 103, so I tried out the Serial connection.....works flawlessly, and shows real time timer which is nice....

post #1088 of 1487 Old 09-28-2013, 01:52 PM

Liked: 11
I expected roomie to change to a subscription service. The number of potential users is limited. Without new customers continuously buying the app and add-ons, they would not be able to maintain revenue to maintain, support, and upgrade roomie. I do not have the hd guide, but will consider pulling the trigger on it so ill have it for future use if needed.
What is the cost for subscription and is it required for basic roomie in addition to the add-ons.

Epson 5010 with 110" Accuscreen. Yamaha rx-v773, HTPC with XBMC.
post #1089 of 1487 Old 09-28-2013, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I think the potential for roomie to grow to a vast number of users is there.

They have a booth at Cedia and I bet it's one of the most interesting.

Sure --- 4K is amazing... But who can afford it? Not the average guy.

On the other hand... most people have ios devices already and some people have the phone on them always.

Why use a remote when Roomie is much better and very easy.

I don't see the number of new users as limited at all really.

I don't know why more people don't use it.
post #1090 of 1487 Old 09-28-2013, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by erichoya View Post

I expected roomie to change to a subscription service. The number of potential users is limited. Without new customers continuously buying the app and add-ons, they would not be able to maintain revenue to maintain, support, and upgrade roomie. I do not have the hd guide, but will consider pulling the trigger on it so ill have it for future use if needed.
What is the cost for subscription and is it required for basic roomie in addition to the add-ons.

Innovate.
Scott-C likes this.

post #1091 of 1487 Old 09-28-2013, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I'm also not thrilled about this subscription service and do feel somewhat deceived by the change. And considering I had previously purchased the IR Control Pack and HD Guide Pack, and yet even today am unable to use Roomie to control my equipment, I'm kind of frustrated. I hope they fix that glitch soon so that I can use what I've already purchased for at least awhile longer without, having to subscribe.

Roomie is, in general, a really good product and I've been pretty happy with it. But it's clear that the developer, for all the talent he has in building this app, seems unwilling to acknowledge the perceptions of customers. I've personally felt this by virtue of the fact that there was no warning, to my knowledge, of an imminent change to a subscription model. I've also felt it in the terse responses I've continued to receive to my customer service inquiries.

Hopefully, the developer can turn this thing around without minimal damage incurred.

Thanks,

Scott
post #1092 of 1487 Old 09-28-2013, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Innovate.
Bingo. This is one of the best ways to stay on a successful path, and in my opinion, it's what got Roomie its popularity in the first place.

Thanks,

Scott
post #1093 of 1487 Old 09-28-2013, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 218
You guys need to learn to backup your iOS apps on the PC/Mac that you use to sync. If your setup is perfect and you never need a Roomie update, you can just keep using the older version.

I do this with apps that introduce ads but no enhancements on newer versions.

Desinty:
post #1094 of 1487 Old 09-28-2013, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravit8 View Post

You guys need to learn to backup your iOS apps on the PC/Mac that you use to sync. If your setup is perfect and you never need a Roomie update, you can just keep using the older version.

I haven't upgraded, and now they are in full backpedal mode, so 2.01 should protect all of us who purchasd the HD Guide and IR Packs before 2.0 was released. I find their update explanation BS - that they were "too busy" focused on iOS 7 support to notice this issue..I think 1.5 star rating they have in the App Store and all the negative posts made team realize that their attempt at a money grab wasn't going over well...

post #1095 of 1487 Old 09-29-2013, 01:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Where's RefTheater when you need him? smile.gif

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
post #1096 of 1487 Old 09-29-2013, 04:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Where's RefTheater when you need him? smile.gif

He's in his workshed building a paragraph. Glue should be dry by Wednesday, rough sanding by Friday.

post #1097 of 1487 Old 09-29-2013, 04:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravit8 View Post

I only upgraded on my newer ipad and only because there was a new feature I feel I "need". There is a guide for XBMC which I currently use another app for.

So,.. a new feature that means I use only a single app instead of two at a time is a significant enhancement.

Not to mention 2.0 is a significant enhancement with all sorts of new features.

I have a first gen ipad that won't ever qualify for any more updates.
post #1098 of 1487 Old 09-29-2013, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

How much are we talking for a subscription here anyways? It can't be that much a year considering we got it for 10 bucks. I guess most people are upset because of the principle of the matter and not the cost, but if roomie is doing it you can probably expect other software remotes to do the same in the near future. I don't care about harmony because they have bailed out on everybody before so I don't know what they will do differently this time around to be loyal to their customers. I have the 900 and the one remotes and the only positive about them is not having to look at the remote when you watch something.

- Leon Phelps
post #1099 of 1487 Old 09-29-2013, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How much are we talking for a subscription here anyways? It can't be that much a year considering we got it for 10 bucks. I guess most people are upset because of the principle of the matter and not the cost, but if roomie is doing it you can probably expect other software remotes to do the same in the near future. I don't care about harmony because they have bailed out on everybody before so I don't know what they will do differently this time around to be loyal to their customers. I have the 900 and the one remotes and the only positive about them is not having to look at the remote when you watch something.

Well when you purchase something outright, and they are told you have to pay an ongoing annual fee for the same things at a later date, that's dishonest.

They are unwinding the mess and properly drawing a line between past purchasers, who maintain their HD Guide and IR packs use going forward ith no further costs, and new customers, who are now properly informed of the subscription model and can make their purchasing decision accordingly. but they way it originally played out, Roomie looked bad, especially since it was affecting their early adopters who took a chance and were mostly strong advocates.

What was especially dopey was making the IR device pack a subscription. That's device support that frankly should simply be included in the core app like other forms of control. Looking ahead, will serial and IP control be migrated toward subscription in the future? It's important to know from a total cost of ownership, including ITach devices and programming time.

They have every right to grow and become profitable, but that looked like a cheap money grab, thus the backpedal after all the ill will it generated.

I'd rather they charge $5 bucks for them to develop a custom device - that generates additional revenue, and grows their database making the solution more appealing

They also need to be responsive to fix things - though I've since sold it, they had several errors in the Marantz 8801 code set, and frankly ignored requests to fix it.

Personally, I really like the solution and was a strong proponent from the start and encourage at least three purchases from fellow hobbyists. I still like he solution very much, but their support, responsiveness, and overall customer care concept needs to grow up and lose the impatience and arrogance I see from time to time...

post #1100 of 1487 Old 09-29-2013, 07:07 AM

In an effort to clear out the huge "other" taking up space in the iPad, I wiped it this morning then restored it. Roomie did not come thru on the restore so I downloaded the updated version. My configuration was still there. I'll have to play with the new features but my initial reaction is that I am not surr i like the tiles for activities. In my theater I have a lot of activities, watch xbmc, bluray, TiVo, system on, system off, a couple of lighting scenes, an activity for my custom remotes to open each one directly, and more. With the list in the prior version I had to scroll to see all activities but they were all very clear. I will hold off updating roomie on my phone.
E

post #1101 of 1487 Old 09-29-2013, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Well when you purchase something outright, and they are told you have to pay an ongoing annual fee for the same things at a later date, that's dishonest.

They are unwinding the mess and properly drawing a line between past purchasers, who maintain their HD Guide and IR packs use going forward ith no further costs, and new customers, who are now properly informed of the subscription model and can make their purchasing decision accordingly. but they way it originally played out, Roomie looked bad, especially since it was affecting their early adopters who took a chance and were mostly strong advocates.

What was especially dopey was making the IR device pack a subscription. That's device support that frankly should simply be included in the core app like other forms of control. Looking ahead, will serial and IP control be migrated toward subscription in the future? It's important to know from a total cost of ownership, including ITach devices and programming time.

They have every right to grow and become profitable, but that looked like a cheap money grab, thus the backpedal after all the ill will it generated.

I'd rather they charge $5 bucks for them to develop a custom device - that generates additional revenue, and grows their database making the solution more appealing

They also need to be responsive to fix things - though I've since sold it, they had several errors in the Marantz 8801 code set, and frankly ignored requests to fix it.

Personally, I really like the solution and was a strong proponent from the start and encourage at least three purchases from fellow hobbyists. I still like he solution very much, but their support, responsiveness, and overall customer care concept needs to grow up and lose the impatience and arrogance I see from time to time...

I can see your point. I did email Roomie once and the response was not that professional even though I did get my answer. The "attitude" comments I have read in this thread did not surprise me at all because I felt the same when I received the response from Roomie. However, I am satisfied with the remote.

- Leon Phelps
post #1102 of 1487 Old 09-29-2013, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

At times, they think that users should know more, almost as though you are a programmer, to roll your own fixes. But they forget they are selling a nice shiny package on a very consumer-oriented App Store, the vast majority of users of which do not fit that definition. You can't have it both ways - soliciting money from non-professionals, but then having a short fuse because "you don't understand or know enough" (my qoute for implication, not actual).

If they can fix that attitude, it would be worlds better for their growth and good will in the community, and they'd earn a lot of equity and slack when things don't go right.
Cravit8 likes this.

post #1103 of 1487 Old 09-29-2013, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Roomie tweet said 2.01 would be submitted last night.

Here's my $.02 on Roomie. This is my dream controller for HT and my most used app behind Safari and email. I will put up with the issues and learning curve and developer interaction. When I find a new Roomie update sitting in the App Store it's like Xmas morning and 2.0 is like a Radio Flyer/train set/GI Joe.

Not to cheer lead or discount legitimate gripes, but, if Roomie went away today it would be a frown.giffrown.gif day. (I hope y'all are happy - you made me bust out the emoticons smile.gif.)

post #1104 of 1487 Old 09-29-2013, 09:26 AM

Agree - it's primarily in the way the business model change was handled - and perhaps the specific selections used to generate recurring revenue.

I don't think it unreasonable to change the model to create recurring revenue for a business that requires so much ongoing support, model changes, enhancements, etc. they just communicated poorly and made some poor choices on the model itself. They should look at models that charge for major upgrades, include support for a year after a release is issued, subscription fee for things like the guide, etc - not unreasonable if handled / communicated better.

They built a great product and they deserve to benefit from that - and we do want continued innovation / features which require ongoing investments. Customer communication is crucial when changing your business model.

My $.02
post #1105 of 1487 Old 09-29-2013, 10:25 AM

I agree that roomie is a great app and that if it went away I would be very bummed. I drilled a hole thru the wall between our play room and great room (cabinet to cabinet)to run an ir emitter to control one more Samsung tv and a Visio sound bar.
I control 12 devices in three rooms including smartlinc for my insteon system. That does not include the 2 iTach devices. So basically i am all in with roomie. Although support is not always warm and fuzzy they were able to enable control of my previously unsupported bluray player.
I use a site called cellar tracker to keep track of my wine collection. I think it is still a free site but I gladly pay a recommended yearly fee (based upon the size of your collection) for the service. I think if you are an early roomie adopter then you should be grandfathered in and exempt from the fee. But, I have no problem paying for continued support and improvements.

post #1106 of 1487 Old 09-29-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Do other remote software remote programs use the itach as well? If so, all you would have to do is change apps and still use the itach's

- Leon Phelps
post #1107 of 1487 Old 09-29-2013, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do other remote software remote programs use the itach as well? If so, all you would have to do is change apps and still use the itach's

I'm sure its possible. RTI's solution uses them if you buy the iTach driver ($45 I've been told)

But Roomie is very good, so I don't have a desire to start over - hopefully they can improve their customer support experience to match the quality of the app,

And to be clear, I have no quarrel if they want to move to some subscription model for new customers - you know what you are signing up for. It was not grandfathering-in existing customers who already purchased outright that was an issue for me (and almost everyone else it seems) At least they are acknowledging and rectifying shortly.

post #1108 of 1487 Old 09-29-2013, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Roomie posted this:

September 28, 2013 at 6:36 am
The original post has been updated to reflect that original purchases of the Infrared Control Pack and HD Guide Pack do not expire.

Thank you.
http://www.roomieremote.com/forums/topic/upgrade-pricing-for-roomie-2-0/

post #1109 of 1487 Old 09-29-2013, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

That sounds great!

- Leon Phelps
post #1110 of 1487 Old 09-29-2013, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I updated mine and the infrared pack shows as expired but the HD is not.Have submitted a support ticket.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Yamaha Rx V2065 Receiver , Tivo , Pioneer Vsx 1021 K 7 1 Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V2065 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page