post #1171 of 1580 Old 10-04-2013, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2cents View Post

As a Roomie owner who finds himself in the same upgrade/subscription predicament, I agree and sympathize with all those who feel cheated or screwed - it's a raw deal. Unfortunately, looking around me, I also realize this is the way things seem to be heading. A long time ago I purchased one of the most popular Windows firewall/antivirus programs around, and was quite happy with it. When they decided to start charging a subscription/renewal feel to keep up with new virus signatures, I was not real happy, but at least understood their efforts costed money to keep going. When they went further and went to the model where they wanted an annual renewal or the software stopped working completely, I went somewhere else for my solution. I've also had a couple high end home theater preamps that were sold touting upgradeability and being obsolete proof for years of enjoyment In both cases, after a year or less, both companies decided to just announce a new model and forget about their promise to support the folks that originally bought items under their original promise. In fact, one company even went to far as to offer discounted model exchanges/upgrades for only recent customers, ignoring those who had originally purchased and stuck by them. My point is that the commercial business world is ripe with this behavior, and although railing against it might make one feel better, I seriously doubt it will actually bring about a change back to a better time. Money talks and customer sat often subsequently takes a back seat. No one is more sorry than about this, but it does seem to be true. BTW, hurray to anyone who bucks this direction and actually seems to care about the customer.

You are correct about all of this. We talked earlier in this thread about how the software world is changing. Apple has done some amazing things with the iOS app landscape and some that are somewhat problematic to developers. Software developers have historically charged for major version upgrades. So for example If Roomie was being upgraded from version 1.X to 2.X there would be a upgrade fee for you to upgrade. Apple does not allow this in the App Store. So developers have to find some other way to provide revenue. A subscription is one such way. In App purchases is another. With 2.X Roomie now does it both ways. That is one side of the coin. The other side though is the way that this all was handled. The Developer has now stated that what happened was in effect a mistake. He has posed here to explain himself so I'll leave it to his explanation.

This leaves me with two thoughts, One is that as I said before ,the nature of how software is paid for is changing from a purchase model to a subscription model. There are those who are not comfortable with this. But it is what is going to happen. Second is that I do not think most of the pushback we have seen about the change in how Roomie is being sold, is due to the change, but as to how it was handled. I think that our message there was received. I hope so.

Roomie is a wonderful program. It is my hope that the human issues do not overshadow the good work that has been done there and the amazing value that this program provides. (Oh and that they will fix the Sony 2013 TV support!smile.gif )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1580 Old 10-04-2013, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Roomie is a wonderful program. It is my hope that the human issues do not overshadow the good work that has been done there and the amazing value that this program provides. (Oh and that they will fix the Sony 2013 TV support!smile.gif )[/quote]
I agree Roomie has already admitted its shortcoming in handling it so lets move on.biggrin.gif
post #1173 of 1580 Old 10-04-2013, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post

$17-Year.

OK. Since I will be repurposing my Iphone 4S, I plan on using the L5 in my setup as all of my IR devices are pretty much line of sight. Considering the price of the Roomie App, Subscription, and L5 attachment, It would take me about 5 years or so to pay the same amount as I would for a Logitech Smart control solution up front. Not bad I guess.

I'm looking for as simple a solution as possible.wink.gif
post #1174 of 1580 Old 10-07-2013, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I contacted oppo about being unable to correctly control my bdp103 through IP and here is their answer:

OPPO Service
Afficher les détails
The player will only support POWER commands when using IP Control. It will not support discrete ON and OFF. As long as the player is set to QUICK START and not ENERGY EFFICIENT the player will respond to POWER commands over IP.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com
Fax: 650-961-1119

Too bad...

Stef
post #1175 of 1580 Old 10-07-2013, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 212
That is horrible. For one of the best blu ray players and one of the most expensive too, you would think that you could control it over ip.

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #1176 of 1580 Old 10-07-2013, 11:12 AM

Liked: 10
I'm not having any issues controlling the BDP-103 over IP with Roomie. Chose Quick Start in the Oppo as noted above and select "Power Toggle" in Roomie for start and stop commands. Keys I use on the Oppo Blu-ray Player remote in Roomie appear to function properly.
post #1177 of 1580 Old 10-07-2013, 02:15 PM
LVS
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
I am trying to control an Anthem MRX-300 receiver via IR. I am having mixed results. Device Powers on and off but after that I can’t really get it to change inputs reliably. Any ideas? I have tried increasing the retry counts but that does not seem to change this behavior.

Another issue is after powering the receiver on you need to wait about 10-seconds before sending it any additional commands. Is there any way to delay only when the device is powering on from the Off state. For switching inputs when the device is already powered I only need a minimal delay.
post #1178 of 1580 Old 10-07-2013, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVS View Post

I am trying to control an Anthem MRX-300 receiver via IR. I am having mixed results. Device Powers on and off but after that I can’t really get it to change inputs reliably. Any ideas? I have tried increasing the retry counts but that does not seem to change this behavior.

Another issue is after powering the receiver on you need to wait about 10-seconds before sending it any additional commands. Is there any way to delay only when the device is powering on from the Off state. For switching inputs when the device is already powered I only need a minimal delay.

With the AVM50 and D2 series—even going back to the AVM20—you could send commands to the units at any time and they would execute. While those prepros are powering up, you can still send commands, but they don't seem to execute until the devices have properly powered up. If you're saying that the commands never get executed, then you need to email Anthem support and ask that question specifically. That seems like it's more of an Anthem issue than a Roomie issue.

I will say, however, that I'd be surprised if that's the case with the MRX receivers.

In my experience with the 50v, increasing the retry count to 250 seems to be perfect. I rarely need to do anything with the AVM50v. I've used it with both IR and Serial with Roomie with the same positive results.

Now to your question about changing inputs: have you triple-checked that the IR is right on top of the Anthem's sensor? Do you also have IR units with feedback enabled so that you can confirm that your commands are being properly sent and received via IR? I use Niles IR flashers with feedback and not the stock iTach ones. I find that the Niles IR flashers are much more reliable and work better in my experience. I've had the iTach ones fail or get funky and I've replaced them all with the Niles versions.

I think you're still going to be in that interesting debugging stage for a bit. I suggest being patient with it but certainly contact Anthem support. There just may be something anomalous happening with the Anthem's IR port.

post #1179 of 1580 Old 10-07-2013, 04:40 PM
LVS
Advanced Member

Thanks for the response THX.

The Anthem MRX has responded fine to other IR control devices, one being it's own branded remote and a Harmony Smart Control so I think that rules out the IR sensor. Also I do have the flasher positioned over the IR sensor as I can see it by shining a flashlight. I am not using flashers that provide feedback and don't have that enabled within Roomie. I will try a Niles if all else fails.

I will also try changing the commands to 250ms delay. Is there one global place to do this or are you talking about when the startup sequence runs for the activity?

Thanks again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxtheater View Post

With the AVM50 and D2 series—even going back to the AVM20—you could send commands to the units at any time and they would execute. While those prepros are powering up, you can still send commands, but they don't seem to execute until the devices have properly powered up. If you're saying that the commands never get executed, then you need to email Anthem support and ask that question specifically. That seems like it's more of an Anthem issue than a Roomie issue.

I will say, however, that I'd be surprised if that's the case with the MRX receivers.

In my experience with the 50v, increasing the retry count to 250 seems to be perfect. I rarely need to do anything with the AVM50v. I've used it with both IR and Serial with Roomie with the same positive results.

Now to your question about changing inputs: have you triple-checked that the IR is right on top of the Anthem's sensor? Do you also have IR units with feedback enabled so that you can confirm that your commands are being properly sent and received via IR? I use Niles IR flashers with feedback and not the stock iTach ones. I find that the Niles IR flashers are much more reliable and work better in my experience. I've had the iTach ones fail or get funky and I've replaced them all with the Niles versions.

I think you're still going to be in that interesting debugging stage for a bit. I suggest being patient with it but certainly contact Anthem support. There just may be something anomalous happening with the Anthem's IR port.
post #1180 of 1580 Old 10-07-2013, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVS View Post

Thanks for the response THX.

The Anthem MRX has responded fine to other IR control devices, one being it's own branded remote and a Harmony Smart Control so I think that rules out the IR sensor. Also I do have the flasher positioned over the IR sensor as I can see it by shining a flashlight. I am not using flashers that provide feedback and don't have that enabled within Roomie. I will try a Niles if all else fails.

I will also try changing the commands to 250ms delay. Is there one global place to do this or are you talking about when the startup sequence runs for the activity?

Thanks again.

In the actual Anthem device at the bottom you can set it to 250 as you see in the screenshot of my AVM50v.

post #1181 of 1580 Old 10-08-2013, 07:05 AM
LVS
Advanced Member

Thanks THX. Finally got everything working. Had to enable Track Power State so that the option to delay on power up was available from withing the Activities. I had to set the Power Up Delay to 15000ms for the MRX to respond reliably on Power Up. Once the unit is powered up and you are switching inputs the Roomie remote still sends it a Power On IR command because I have the option set to Powered On for all devices. I must have a delay of 1500ms between the Power On IR command being sent and any additional commands. These delays seem a bit long but at least it is working. Thanks for your help.
post #1182 of 1580 Old 10-08-2013, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripletlex View Post

I'm not having any issues controlling the BDP-103 over IP with Roomie. Chose Quick Start in the Oppo as noted above and select "Power Toggle" in Roomie for start and stop commands. Keys I use on the Oppo Blu-ray Player remote in Roomie appear to function properly.

Power toggle works alright, what doesnt work is discrete power on (or power off). Power toggle sometimes gets out of sync with oppo and then does the opposite of what it should do.

Anyway, now I control my oppo through its IR input and my itach. Strangely, discrete IR commands for power on and power off exist and work very well...

Stef
post #1183 of 1580 Old 10-09-2013, 03:07 PM

I've been using Roomie solely through IP control since I purchased about 4 months ago. I have an Denon AVR 1913 receiver. It was easy to set up and the controls are all functioning, but the volume has never matched up between the roomie app display and the actual receiver/screen display. For example, the level may be on 20 on the receiver and screen, but in the roomie app it displays as  -62. Is this something that I can correct?

post #1184 of 1580 Old 10-09-2013, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8danes View Post

I've been using Roomie solely through IP control since I purchased about 4 months ago. I have an Denon AVR 1913 receiver. It was easy to set up and the controls are all functioning, but the volume has never matched up between the roomie app display and the actual receiver/screen display. For example, the level may be on 20 on the receiver and screen, but in the roomie app it displays as  -62. Is this something that I can correct?
I've noticed a similar oddity via IP control of a Marantz receiver. Email roomie support and give them particulars. See if there is a direct correlation each time. In other words is -62 on roomie always -20 on the receiver.

post #1185 of 1580 Old 10-09-2013, 09:02 PM

I have an anthem Dv2 3d and I have it controlled via serial using a serial connection thru a gc 100. After reading this post I tried it and sure enough the vol on the remote seems to be stuck at -28 but the actual vol was -22.I think this is occurring after the recent update.
post #1186 of 1580 Old 10-09-2013, 09:49 PM

Using Roomie 2.02 on a Denon 4311 and a Pioneer 1021 and db numbers remain precise.
I recall seeing settings somewhere on the AVRS as to displaying Volume in absolute or relative levels. Could that be the issue?
stef2 likes this.
post #1187 of 1580 Old 10-10-2013, 04:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shah993 View Post

I have an anthem Dv2 3d and I have it controlled via serial using a serial connection thru a gc 100. After reading this post I tried it and sure enough the vol on the remote seems to be stuck at -28 but the actual vol was -22.I think this is occurring after the recent update.

I've noticed something similar on my 50v. Do me a favor? See if the volume getting stuck only happens when you click out of roomie to the home screen or another app.

I want to put in a ticket but I want to try and figure out a pattern. Once it gets stuck it doesn't get unstuck. It's as though it doesn't respond to the anthem feedback commands once I click out of the app.

post #1188 of 1580 Old 10-10-2013, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

I am a new roomie user. I have this application installed on the current generation IPad.
My previous remote was Crestron ML-600.
I like Roomie a lot. The only thing I have a problem with is using DirecTV DVR. When I had a remote with hard button it was easier to forward the shows I was watching because I could see the show as I am forwarding it and keep my finger on the button.
I don't have hard button any more so I am trying to get used to keeping the finger in the air just above the play button so I can press it as soon as I have skipped the commercials.
Is there an easier way to do this?
How long did it take you to get use to touch display after moving from the remote with hard buttons?
post #1189 of 1580 Old 10-10-2013, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hehateme View Post

I am a new roomie user. I have this application installed on the current generation IPad.
I like Roomie a lot. The only thing I have a problem with is using DirecTV DVR. When I had a remote with hard button it was easier to forward the shows I was watching because I could see the show as I am forwarding it and keep my finger on the button.
I don't have hard button any more so I am trying to get used to keeping the finger in the air just above the play button so I can press it as soon as I have skipped the commercials.
How long did it take you to get use to touch display after moving from the remote with hard buttons?

I use the 30 second advance button. Just click it 5 or 6 times and you're past them...if you overshoot just hit the 5 sec back a few times. Seems to work well for me.

post #1190 of 1580 Old 10-10-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 172
It will get easier, but it's not the same as having hard buttons.

I hope one day Roomie can support a Bluetooth remote, something like this:

http://www.smarthome.com/30003/Satechi-ST-BTRM1-Bluetooth-Multimedia-Remote-Control/p.aspx

Though there are many others - basic volume, mute, REW/FF, pause, arrows, menu. If they could be mapped to the active activity, it would be awesome...
post #1191 of 1580 Old 10-10-2013, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie b View Post

I use the 30 second advance button. Just click it 5 or 6 times and you're past them...if you overshoot just hit the 5 sec back a few times. Seems to work well for me.

+1. Exactly the same process I use. Works well and is actually much faster than FF. The added bonus is that I don't even have to see any of the commercials.

Links: My System Diagram / System Pix
Yamaha: RX-A2010, Samsung: UN55B8000, Oppo; BDP-93, AppleTV, Roku3, Yamaha: CDC-685
Klipsch: (2) RF-83, (1) RC-64, (2) RVX-54, (2) RSX-5
SVS: (1) SB13-Ultra, ACP: J15BLK 1.5 kVA Power Conditioner/UPS
See links above for additional system details.
post #1192 of 1580 Old 10-10-2013, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for pointing out the 30 seconds advance button and 5 seconds back. I did not even know they existed. It does work well.
Now I can easily justify picking up a new Ipad Mini as a dedicated remote later this month.

I felt so trapped with expensive programming of my Creston remotes that I did not change components for years. Every change required paying somebody to program my remote.
Being a roomie remote owner is rather liberating.
post #1193 of 1580 Old 10-10-2013, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks for pointing out the 30 seconds advance button and 5 seconds back. I did not even know they existed. It does work well.
Now I can easily justify picking up a new Ipad Mini as a dedicated remote later this month.

I felt so trapped with expensive programming of my Creston remotes that I did not change components for years. Every change required paying somebody to program my remote.

I agree. I love it. Just so happens there's about 30 seconds between plays in a football game too so you can skip through a game pretty efficiently....

post #1194 of 1580 Old 10-10-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:

Is there a 30 second advance on the Oppo blu ray?

post #1195 of 1580 Old 10-10-2013, 03:32 PM

Will do,currently travelling but will check it out over the weekend.
post #1196 of 1580 Old 10-10-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:

I make custom remotes for my devices. For TiVo I created a 3 minute skip button. It is 30 second skip 6 times. I also have a 4 minute skip. If I overshoot then I can use the 6 second rewind and if I didn't skip enough then I can hit the 30 second skip.
I have an activity for each custom remote which makes it a lot easier to just pull it up or to edit it. Once I get them perfected I'll probably delete those activities. I have a system off button on the blu ray remote and added insteon scene buttons to all of my remotes. Break button to pause a movie and bring the lights up, resume to play and redim.
E

Epson 5010 with 110" Accuscreen. Yamaha rx-v773, HTPC with XBMC.
post #1197 of 1580 Old 10-11-2013, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlpearman View Post

I'm using Roomie and I want to add some music zones with either an Apple TV or Airport Express. I have speakers already.

What fully IP-controllable, hopefully small, integrated amps/receivers are there for this? The unit will need to support off and on via the Roomie IP control. Suggestions?

Any ideas for a fully IP-controllable second zone?

Upgraditis Anonymous
post #1198 of 1580 Old 10-11-2013, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlpearman View Post

Any ideas for a fully IP-controllable second zone?

Though more money, Sonos network devices are probably more what you're looking for - 55 wpc, network controllable, speaker and sub out connections. I have Apple TVs in the house, but for music distribution, Sonos is hard to beat, and well integrated into Roomie...
post #1199 of 1580 Old 10-11-2013, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Of course. You're exactly right.... thanks!

Upgraditis Anonymous
post #1200 of 1580 Old 10-16-2013, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am looking for a bit of help

I have just installed a JVC X35 projector and roomie doesn't appear to see the projector. IF anyone has an idea or setting I need to do it would be much appreciated!
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Yamaha Rx V2065 Receiver , Tivo , Pioneer Vsx 1021 K 7 1 Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V2065 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page