AVS Forum banner
376K views 3K replies 419 participants last post by  mskreis 
#1 ·
Has anyone tried out Roomie Remote for iOS? It looks nice, but pretty new. I'm interested in a lot of what it seems to provide, but curious to get impressions from people that have already tried it. I'm especially curious about the two-way feedback with my receiver (Yamaha RX-V2065).

Dave

-----------

Yamaha RX-V2065 Receiver

Sony KDL-46XBR3 TV

TiVo Series 3

PS3

Mac Mini

WD TV Live

#1,177 ·
I am trying to control an Anthem MRX-300 receiver via IR. I am having mixed results. Device Powers on and off but after that I can’t really get it to change inputs reliably. Any ideas? I have tried increasing the retry counts but that does not seem to change this behavior.

Another issue is after powering the receiver on you need to wait about 10-seconds before sending it any additional commands. Is there any way to delay only when the device is powering on from the Off state. For switching inputs when the device is already powered I only need a minimal delay.

#1,178 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVS  /t/1356456/roomie-remote/1170#post_23811876

I am trying to control an Anthem MRX-300 receiver via IR. I am having mixed results. Device Powers on and off but after that I can’t really get it to change inputs reliably. Any ideas? I have tried increasing the retry counts but that does not seem to change this behavior.

Another issue is after powering the receiver on you need to wait about 10-seconds before sending it any additional commands. Is there any way to delay only when the device is powering on from the Off state. For switching inputs when the device is already powered I only need a minimal delay.

With the AVM50 and D2 series—even going back to the AVM20—you could send commands to the units at any time and they would execute. While those prepros are powering up, you can still send commands, but they don't seem to execute until the devices have properly powered up. If you're saying that the commands never get executed, then you need to email Anthem support and ask that question specifically. That seems like it's more of an Anthem issue than a Roomie issue.

I will say, however, that I'd be surprised if that's the case with the MRX receivers.

In my experience with the 50v, increasing the retry count to 250 seems to be perfect. I rarely need to do anything with the AVM50v. I've used it with both IR and Serial with Roomie with the same positive results.

Now to your question about changing inputs: have you triple-checked that the IR is right on top of the Anthem's sensor? Do you also have IR units with feedback enabled so that you can confirm that your commands are being properly sent and received via IR? I use Niles IR flashers with feedback and not the stock iTach ones. I find that the Niles IR flashers are much more reliable and work better in my experience. I've had the iTach ones fail or get funky and I've replaced them all with the Niles versions.

I think you're still going to be in that interesting debugging stage for a bit. I suggest being patient with it but certainly contact Anthem support. There just may be something anomalous happening with the Anthem's IR port.

#1,179 ·
Thanks for the response THX.

The Anthem MRX has responded fine to other IR control devices, one being it's own branded remote and a Harmony Smart Control so I think that rules out the IR sensor. Also I do have the flasher positioned over the IR sensor as I can see it by shining a flashlight. I am not using flashers that provide feedback and don't have that enabled within Roomie. I will try a Niles if all else fails.

I will also try changing the commands to 250ms delay. Is there one global place to do this or are you talking about when the startup sequence runs for the activity?

Thanks again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxtheater  /t/1356456/roomie-remote/1170#post_23812288

With the AVM50 and D2 series—even going back to the AVM20—you could send commands to the units at any time and they would execute. While those prepros are powering up, you can still send commands, but they don't seem to execute until the devices have properly powered up. If you're saying that the commands never get executed, then you need to email Anthem support and ask that question specifically. That seems like it's more of an Anthem issue than a Roomie issue.

I will say, however, that I'd be surprised if that's the case with the MRX receivers.

In my experience with the 50v, increasing the retry count to 250 seems to be perfect. I rarely need to do anything with the AVM50v. I've used it with both IR and Serial with Roomie with the same positive results.

Now to your question about changing inputs: have you triple-checked that the IR is right on top of the Anthem's sensor? Do you also have IR units with feedback enabled so that you can confirm that your commands are being properly sent and received via IR? I use Niles IR flashers with feedback and not the stock iTach ones. I find that the Niles IR flashers are much more reliable and work better in my experience. I've had the iTach ones fail or get funky and I've replaced them all with the Niles versions.

I think you're still going to be in that interesting debugging stage for a bit. I suggest being patient with it but certainly contact Anthem support. There just may be something anomalous happening with the Anthem's IR port.

#1,180 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVS  /t/1356456/roomie-remote/1170#post_23812415

Thanks for the response THX.

The Anthem MRX has responded fine to other IR control devices, one being it's own branded remote and a Harmony Smart Control so I think that rules out the IR sensor. Also I do have the flasher positioned over the IR sensor as I can see it by shining a flashlight. I am not using flashers that provide feedback and don't have that enabled within Roomie. I will try a Niles if all else fails.

I will also try changing the commands to 250ms delay. Is there one global place to do this or are you talking about when the startup sequence runs for the activity?

Thanks again.

In the actual Anthem device at the bottom you can set it to 250 as you see in the screenshot of my AVM50v.

#1,181 ·
Thanks THX. Finally got everything working. Had to enable Track Power State so that the option to delay on power up was available from withing the Activities. I had to set the Power Up Delay to 15000ms for the MRX to respond reliably on Power Up. Once the unit is powered up and you are switching inputs the Roomie remote still sends it a Power On IR command because I have the option set to Powered On for all devices. I must have a delay of 1500ms between the Power On IR command being sent and any additional commands. These delays seem a bit long but at least it is working. Thanks for your help.

#1,182 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripletlex  /t/1356456/roomie-remote/1170#post_23811029

I'm not having any issues controlling the BDP-103 over IP with Roomie. Chose Quick Start in the Oppo as noted above and select "Power Toggle" in Roomie for start and stop commands. Keys I use on the Oppo Blu-ray Player remote in Roomie appear to function properly.

Power toggle works alright, what doesnt work is discrete power on (or power off). Power toggle sometimes gets out of sync with oppo and then does the opposite of what it should do.

Anyway, now I control my oppo through its IR input and my itach. Strangely, discrete IR commands for power on and power off exist and work very well...

#1,183 ·

I've been using Roomie solely through IP control since I purchased about 4 months ago. I have an Denon AVR 1913 receiver. It was easy to set up and the controls are all functioning, but the volume has never matched up between the roomie app display and the actual receiver/screen display. For example, the level may be on 20 on the receiver and screen, but in the roomie app it displays as  -62. Is this something that I can correct?

#1,184 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8danes  /t/1356456/roomie-remote/1170#post_23819877

I've been using Roomie solely through IP control since I purchased about 4 months ago. I have an Denon AVR 1913 receiver. It was easy to set up and the controls are all functioning, but the volume has never matched up between the roomie app display and the actual receiver/screen display. For example, the level may be on 20 on the receiver and screen, but in the roomie app it displays as  -62. Is this something that I can correct?
I've noticed a similar oddity via IP control of a Marantz receiver. Email roomie support and give them particulars. See if there is a direct correlation each time. In other words is -62 on roomie always -20 on the receiver.

#1,185 ·
I have an anthem Dv2 3d and I have it controlled via serial using a serial connection thru a gc 100. After reading this post I tried it and sure enough the vol on the remote seems to be stuck at -28 but the actual vol was -22.I think this is occurring after the recent update.

#1,187 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shah993  /t/1356456/roomie-remote/1170#post_23820956

I have an anthem Dv2 3d and I have it controlled via serial using a serial connection thru a gc 100. After reading this post I tried it and sure enough the vol on the remote seems to be stuck at -28 but the actual vol was -22.I think this is occurring after the recent update.

I've noticed something similar on my 50v. Do me a favor? See if the volume getting stuck only happens when you click out of roomie to the home screen or another app.

I want to put in a ticket but I want to try and figure out a pattern. Once it gets stuck it doesn't get unstuck. It's as though it doesn't respond to the anthem feedback commands once I click out of the app.

#1,188 ·
I am a new roomie user. I have this application installed on the current generation IPad.

My previous remote was Crestron ML-600.

I like Roomie a lot. The only thing I have a problem with is using DirecTV DVR. When I had a remote with hard button it was easier to forward the shows I was watching because I could see the show as I am forwarding it and keep my finger on the button.

I don't have hard button any more so I am trying to get used to keeping the finger in the air just above the play button so I can press it as soon as I have skipped the commercials.

Is there an easier way to do this?

How long did it take you to get use to touch display after moving from the remote with hard buttons?

#1,189 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hehateme  /t/1356456/roomie-remote/1170#post_23822264

I am a new roomie user. I have this application installed on the current generation IPad.

I like Roomie a lot. The only thing I have a problem with is using DirecTV DVR. When I had a remote with hard button it was easier to forward the shows I was watching because I could see the show as I am forwarding it and keep my finger on the button.

I don't have hard button any more so I am trying to get used to keeping the finger in the air just above the play button so I can press it as soon as I have skipped the commercials.

How long did it take you to get use to touch display after moving from the remote with hard buttons?

I use the 30 second advance button. Just click it 5 or 6 times and you're past them...if you overshoot just hit the 5 sec back a few times. Seems to work well for me.

#1,190 ·
#1,191 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie b  /t/1356456/roomie-remote/1170#post_23822289

I use the 30 second advance button. Just click it 5 or 6 times and you're past them...if you overshoot just hit the 5 sec back a few times. Seems to work well for me.

+1. Exactly the same process I use. Works well and is actually much faster than FF. The added bonus is that I don't even have to see any of the commercials.

#1,192 ·
Thanks for pointing out the 30 seconds advance button and 5 seconds back. I did not even know they existed. It does work well.

Now I can easily justify picking up a new Ipad Mini as a dedicated remote later this month.

I felt so trapped with expensive programming of my Creston remotes that I did not change components for years. Every change required paying somebody to program my remote.

Being a roomie remote owner is rather liberating.

#1,193 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hehateme  /t/1356456/roomie-remote/1170#post_23823297

Thanks for pointing out the 30 seconds advance button and 5 seconds back. I did not even know they existed. It does work well.

Now I can easily justify picking up a new Ipad Mini as a dedicated remote later this month.

I felt so trapped with expensive programming of my Creston remotes that I did not change components for years. Every change required paying somebody to program my remote.

I agree. I love it. Just so happens there's about 30 seconds between plays in a football game too so you can skip through a game pretty efficiently....

#1,194 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hehateme  /t/1356456/roomie-remote/1170#post_23823297

Is there a 30 second advance on the Oppo blu ray?

#1,195 ·
Will do,currently travelling but will check it out over the weekend.

#1,196 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hehateme  /t/1356456/roomie-remote/1170#post_23822264

I make custom remotes for my devices. For TiVo I created a 3 minute skip button. It is 30 second skip 6 times. I also have a 4 minute skip. If I overshoot then I can use the 6 second rewind and if I didn't skip enough then I can hit the 30 second skip.

I have an activity for each custom remote which makes it a lot easier to just pull it up or to edit it. Once I get them perfected I'll probably delete those activities. I have a system off button on the blu ray remote and added insteon scene buttons to all of my remotes. Break button to pause a movie and bring the lights up, resume to play and redim.

E

#1,197 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlpearman  /t/1356456/roomie-remote/1140#post_23802176

I'm using Roomie and I want to add some music zones with either an Apple TV or Airport Express. I have speakers already.

What fully IP-controllable, hopefully small, integrated amps/receivers are there for this? The unit will need to support off and on via the Roomie IP control. Suggestions?

Any ideas for a fully IP-controllable second zone?

#1,198 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlpearman  /t/1356456/roomie-remote/1170#post_23825780

Any ideas for a fully IP-controllable second zone?

Though more money, Sonos network devices are probably more what you're looking for - 55 wpc, network controllable, speaker and sub out connections. I have Apple TVs in the house, but for music distribution, Sonos is hard to beat, and well integrated into Roomie...

#1,201 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexMan  /t/1356456/roomie-remote/1170#post_23842906

I am looking for a bit of help

I have just installed a JVC X35 projector and roomie doesn't appear to see the projector. IF anyone has an idea or setting I need to do it would be much appreciated!

Is it connected up?
A bit more info about how you've got things configured would be helpful.

The X35 is supported for IP by Roomie - the web site says: "Manual IP Port 20554, Full IP Control, Use ‘PJREQ’ as Username" - so it looks like you'll have full control once you get it dialed in....