Forum Jump: 

post #1441 of 1453 Old 06-12-2014, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SicEm View Post
Hi all. I just moved and got my new home theater room set up. I've been looking at the Roomie Remote as a potential remote/automation solution for the room, but I'm having trouble pulling the trigger. For starters, I can't seem to find documentation on whether all that I want to be able to do is possible with the remote. For example, I know that it can control lighting through various lighting automation manufacturers (RadioRA 2, Insteon ISY, etc.), but I'm curious how integrated you can make those functions. I'd like to be able to create a macro so that when I hit the pause button when watching a movie, it brings the lights up 50%, or something like that. Touch the play button, lights go back off. How customizable is it through macros?

Along the same lines, how customizable are the screens? Is it possible to create your own custom images to be used for the remote, or is that not customizable? That's not incredibly important to me, but something about which I was curious.

Thanks...
To be completely honest, from a macro standpoint, you can do anything your system is capable of receiving. Connection is key, once that's done, you can do anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 1453 Old 06-13-2014, 05:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Hi all. I just moved and got my new home theater room set up. I've been looking at the Roomie Remote as a potential remote/automation solution for the room, but I'm having trouble pulling the trigger. For starters, I can't seem to find documentation on whether all that I want to be able to do is possible with the remote. For example, I know that it can control lighting through various lighting automation manufacturers (RadioRA 2, Insteon ISY, etc.), but I'm curious how integrated you can make those functions. I'd like to be able to create a macro so that when I hit the pause button when watching a movie, it brings the lights up 50%, or something like that. Touch the play button, lights go back off. How customizable is it through macros?

Along the same lines, how customizable are the screens? Is it possible to create your own custom images to be used for the remote, or is that not customizable? That's not incredibly important to me, but something about which I was curious.

Thanks...
You can do exactly what your are asking with Roomie. You simply add all your devices first. Then create your activities. Within an activity, you can customize the remote with any additional commands you want. So, in order to have lights come on when you hit pause, you customize the pause button and add the command for your lights. I have my lights turn off when I hit play, come up to a preset when I hit pause and turn fully on when I hit stop.

As for the screen images, Roomie can use it's default layout or you can tell it to use an on screen version of the actual device remote. If you dig through the Roomie site and forums, you can find some more info on this. I use the default stuff, so I can't provide much more info.
post #1443 of 1453 Old 06-13-2014, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is exactly what I was trying to do yesterday with my theater.
I have the radio ra lights working with roomie..but wanted to create the macro to change lighting scenes. I can get away with just keypad button presses since I already have these programed in the Radio ra keypads. and I guess you can create virtual keypad presses in the radio ra and just have roomie execute those button pushes.. but the question is, how do we have roomie execute radio ra keypad buttons when we press an activity-- "watch movies"

For $9.99 you can get it all set up so its not a huge investment for 2 sources and 1 room, then just add the $19.99 upgrade and control everything. best $30 I've ever spent on a control system. It sure beats constantly switching from app to app to control everything.

Quote:

Thanks...

JOE
post #1444 of 1453 Old 06-13-2014, 06:18 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Thanks...
You can add commands to any button.
So on your pause button you could add a command for a certain scene that has your lights come on at 50%.
Roomie is very customizable now.
I think its great.
post #1445 of 1453 Old 06-13-2014, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks everyone for the information. That's supremely helpful, and is most likely enough to put me over the top on getting the Roomie. It looks like I'll be able to control most of my components through IP, though I'm going to have to buy one of the iTach flex adapters to control my projector via IR.
post #1446 of 1453 Old 06-13-2014, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Upgraded to 2.4.1, and having issues changing channels to my Tivo Mini from the guide. I am getting the Invalid Channel/Force dialog, though forcing does not work. I deleted the old Mini and added to the new device as the guidelines instruct.

It seems the new device from roomie is sending the channel set as a single number (i.e., 761). I recall the mini required the numbers to be sent sequentially, ie 7 then 6 then 1, which is what the previous device did to get around a limitation in the mini.

The device's switching style seems to reflect what is required, # # enter, but when you select any channel from the guide, it appears to send the entire three digit number at once. I've tried the other options - no change.

This is happening with all channels in the guide, and I made sure the Mini is showing all channels in the channel setup.

I can of course enter numbers using the roomie numerical keypad and that does work

The Roamio does not have this issue at all with the guide, but it never needed the workaround is my recollection.

Anyone out there with a Mini and 2.4.1 seeing this?

Last edited by thrang; 06-13-2014 at 08:39 AM.
post #1447 of 1453 Old 06-16-2014, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
After the latest roomie update, my rs232 command on the oppo remote is missing....so I can't get feedback sending the verbose 3 command....any ideas?

post #1448 of 1453 Old 06-21-2014, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have abandoned Roomie. It seemed with every update I lost something. At the end my Samsung LN46A750 was not receiving an "off" command. Ever. No matter what. Other times things would be working well then everything would quit. That's the part I can't get past. I changed nothing, added nothing, did nothing different and all the sudden Roomie would be useless. I reset the Flex many times and tried starting from scratch three times without result. My network appears to be stable and works with every other wireless device in the house. By viewing through a digital camera screen I could see that the IR Blaster was sending something, but apparently not what it was supposed to. I pulled apart my old Harmony 880 and got it working until I can find a replacement. Until a couple buttons failed it was flawless. It did everything right the first time and was easy to program.

I also don't enjoy not having physical buttons to push for certain things. Between that minor irritation and the constant troubleshooting I've had enough. I have a flex and blaster for sale if anyone is interested.
post #1449 of 1453 Old 06-22-2014, 05:02 AM

Roomie not working right

I am not sure but it seems Roomie has developed problems after the last update.I am trying to set it up in a room with a very basic setup.Sharp TV,pioneer receiver and a TWC cable box.It is sending erratic commands.In the past it worked flawlessly ( had to dissemble it for a remodel).I changed the ITAC to a flex but the same thing.I tried a different IPAD.No avail.Very frustrating. If anybody has any ideas please help.I have been using Roomie ever since it first came out.
post #1450 of 1453 Old 06-22-2014, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by shah993 View Post
I am not sure but it seems Roomie has developed problems after the last update.I am trying to set it up in a room with a very basic setup.Sharp TV,pioneer receiver and a TWC cable box.It is sending erratic commands.In the past it worked flawlessly ( had to dissemble it for a remodel).I changed the ITAC to a flex but the same thing.I tried a different IPAD.No avail.Very frustrating. If anybody has any ideas please help.I have been using Roomie ever since it first came out.
I'm assuming you reset your iTach devices? I had to do that once when roomie was acting funky and re-associated the iTach and it fixed the anomaly in my case
post #1451 of 1453 Old 06-22-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxtheater View Post
I'm assuming you reset your iTach devices? I had to do that once when roomie was acting funky and re-associated the iTach and it fixed the anomaly in my case
Yes!Also had 2 brand new units same thing.
post #1452 of 1453 Old Yesterday, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i am thinking about purchasing roomie remote for my ipad and itach ethernet to IR adapter from their website. how hard is it to program everything? i am coming from a harmony ultimate remote.

Samsung HP-T5064 50" Plasma
Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-ray player
Onkyo TX-NR828 receiver
Paradigm Monitor 7 v5 floor speakers & CC-190 center
Paradigm Atom v6
SVS PB1-ISD subwoofer/Logitech Harmony Ultimate
post #1453 of 1453 Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM
DGF

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumulee View Post
i am thinking about purchasing roomie remote for my ipad and itach ethernet to IR adapter from their website. how hard is it to program everything? i am coming from a harmony ultimate remote.

Roomie is probably the easiest of the mainstream iOS control apps to get up and running. You should be able to configure everything in well under an hour - you can definitely defer delving into some of the more complex capabilities without compromising functionality.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Yamaha Rx V2065 Receiver , Tivo , Pioneer Vsx 1021 K 7 1 Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page