AVS Forum banner
376K views 3K replies 419 participants last post by  mskreis 
#1 ·
Has anyone tried out Roomie Remote for iOS? It looks nice, but pretty new. I'm interested in a lot of what it seems to provide, but curious to get impressions from people that have already tried it. I'm especially curious about the two-way feedback with my receiver (Yamaha RX-V2065).

Dave

-----------

Yamaha RX-V2065 Receiver

Sony KDL-46XBR3 TV

TiVo Series 3

PS3

Mac Mini

WD TV Live

#1,227 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxtheater  /t/1356456/roomie-remote/1200#post_23873975

Just plugging in the serial doesn't guarantee success. You need to match the baud rate, flow control, etc between the iTach device and the projector. Did you get the FLEX unit or the previous gen? If you want to debug, then you run the serial cable to your PC and execute serial commands via hyper terminal or other serial utilities. My hunch here is that if you are communicating properly--you are seeing the blue commands--then it's a config issue on the iTach. Remember that the blue commands simply tell you success with the iTach.

Did you connect the itach to the projector with a null modem cable?

#1,228 ·
@hoops2

Is it only the power on that doesn't work? (If you power it on with the epson remote, do all other roomie commands work?)

I don't know the epson, but perhaps there is some setting that enables/disables network/serial control...

#1,229 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxtheater  /t/1356456/roomie-remote/1200#post_23873975

Just plugging in the serial doesn't guarantee success. You need to match the baud rate, flow control, etc between the iTach device and the projector. Did you get the FLEX unit or the previous gen? If you want to debug, then you run the serial cable to your PC and execute serial commands via hyper terminal or other serial utilities. My hunch here is that if you are communicating properly--you are seeing the blue commands--then it's a config issue on the iTach. Remember that the blue commands simply tell you success with the iTach.
i didn't know that you had to set the baud rates with the itach? I thought they were compatible with just about every speed there is on the market. I could be wrong though.

#1,235 ·
Hello all, I have used this thread for help with Roomie with my last theater and I love Roomie. We are building a new home and would love some suggestions about how to expand Roomie's use throughout the new house to create a "smart home". Lighting, thermostat, all the electronics etc. I've looked into lutron radiora and some other things. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

#1,236 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattr6  /t/1356456/roomie-remote/1200_100#post_23893628

Hello all, I have used this thread for help with Roomie with my last theater and I love Roomie. We are building a new home and would love some suggestions about how to expand Roomie's use throughout the new house to create a "smart home". Lighting, thermostat, all the electronics etc. I've looked into lutron radiora and some other things. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

you can take a look at smart home website. They have insteon devices for home automation. I have used that with roomie.

#1,237 ·
Finally took the plunge and installed/setup roomie on my iPhone 4s. Considering the price of admission to get up and running, I am quite happy so far. The only component I actually paid for was the L5 adapter from Amazon. I used some rewards points to get an iTunes card for free and used that to purchase the App, HT package and 1st year subscription. I may upgrade to an iTach device in the future but thus far the L5 has proven to be more than adequate.

Not a bad remote for only $32

#1,239 ·
Hey, everyone. I have successfully used the iTach Ethernet to IR and now the iTach Flex IP with Roomie to control several HT components. I've had good luck with everything except my Sony KDL-70R520A television. Using infrared emitters from both iTach Ethernet to IR and the Flex IP, I cannot get the Sony TV to respond via IR. I'm basically just needing to turn the TV on and off; the TV inputs, volume, and picture mode never change, etc. I'm not exactly sure where the IR eye on the TV is but I have pointed the emitter everywhere, no luck. Am I missing something with the settings?

The Roomie compatibility page http://www.roomieremote.com/ip-compatibility/ says 2013 Sony TV models support wake on LAN for full IP control. Should I be using Wake on LAN to control the TV power or IR? Thanks.

#1,240 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler  /t/1356456/roomie-remote/1200_100#post_23919215

Hey, everyone. I have successfully used the iTach Ethernet to IR and now the iTach Flex IP with Roomie to control several HT components. I've had good luck with everything except my Sony KDL-70R520A television. Using infrared emitters from both iTach Ethernet to IR and the Flex IP, I cannot get the Sony TV to respond via IR. I'm basically just needing to turn the TV on and off; the TV inputs, volume, and picture mode never change, etc. I'm not exactly sure where the IR eye on the TV is but I have pointed the emitter everywhere, no luck. Am I missing something with the settings?

The Roomie compatibility page http://www.roomieremote.com/ip-compatibility/ says 2013 Sony TV models support wake on LAN for full IP control. Should I be using Wake on LAN to control the TV power or IR? Thanks.

Get a flash light and look for the ir sensor on the TV. You can easily see it with the flashlight. That is the first step. After you have figured out where the sensor is, put the emitter there and then try to control the TV. If the commands are not working, set the command to repeat itself. Some components need a repeated signal to actually do the command.

#1,241 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction  /t/1356456/roomie-remote/1230#post_23919300

Get a flash light and look for the ir sensor on the TV. You can easily see it with the flashlight. That is the first step. After you have figured out where the sensor is, put the emitter there and then try to control the TV. If the commands are not working, set the command to repeat itself. Some components need a repeated signal to actually do the command.

Thank you very much for your help. Everything you said worked perfectly. Sony TV is responding fine by IR. Increasing the repeat was key. Thanks, PI!

#1,243 ·
I have an old Pioneer Plasma TV with an SR+ In/Out. I would like to control the power on/off via this connector. I have read a little bit about the Xantech 794 which is supposed to convert IR to the Pioneer SR+ Format.

Will the iTach to Xantech Distribution Block Cable connect directly to the 794 or do I need something else in between. Any simpler way to feed SR+ to the TV?

#1,244 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction  /t/1356456/roomie-remote/1200#post_23862166

If you are new to roomie you have no choice but to have a subscription. Also, if you are talking about service provider as you satalite or cable, then you just tell the app when it asks you. To record a show you will still have to do it like you do on your directv ui. Everything is easy and right I front of you.
So this subscription is recurring or one time fee? I don't plan to change my devices for a very long time....My guess is it is one time if you want you can subscribe it again right?

#1,246 ·
iPod guide question.

I have a denon 1912 avr and now have an iPod Classic. I made a activity called iPod and if I plug the iPod directly into the avr USB port I (automatically) have a small guide pop up. Its aa very clunky one though.

Is there a way to have a roomie guide?... I have the HD guide pack.

#1,247 ·
Thi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton  /t/1356456/roomie-remote/1230#post_23985752

iPod guide question.

I have a denon 1912 avr and now have an iPod Classic. I made a activity called iPod and if I plug the iPod directly into the avr USB port I (automatically) have a small guide pop up. Its aa very clunky one though.

Is there a way to have a roomie guide?... I have the HD guide pack.

This question is better served on the roomie support forums on their site. My guy tells me that you would use roomie as you do the current AVR remote. There is no protocol for roomie to connect to the iPod through so I think that is your limitation.

#1,248 ·
Thanks for the reply.... I'm fair at programming Roomie and I don't think there's a better way to do what I had in mind.

I did some re-configuring of the mac mini where I store the itunes stuff and now serve that to the home network... with that I can use airplay and get the wanted results through a different setup... so I guess I found another way.

Thanks again,

Brian

#1,249 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton  /t/1356456/roomie-remote/1230#post_23987394

Thanks for the reply.... I'm fair at programming Roomie and I don't think there's a better way to do what I had in mind.

I did some re-configuring of the mac mini where I store the itunes stuff and now serve that to the home network... with that I can use airplay and get the wanted results through a different setup... so I guess I found another way.

Thanks again,

Brian

That's the much better way to handle in on all levels.

#1,250 ·
I just went to the Roomie store to order a WiFi to IR unit and learned that I must now buy a subscription for this feature. That's a real bummer, pay $100 for the hardware and then pay to use it. I've been using Roomie for about a year with good sucess. However, I never would have purchased Roomie if it was based on a subscription model. It may not seem like much but all these subscription start adding up. I won't be buying any additional Roomie products.

Moving forward, what are the best non-Roomie options?

#1,251 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abit Distorted  /t/1356456/roomie-remote/1230#post_23995854

I just went to the Roomie store to order a WiFi to IR unit and learned that I must now buy a subscription for this feature. That's a real bummer, pay $100 for the hardware and then pay to use it. I've been using Roomie for about a year with good sucess. However, I never would have purchased Roomie if it was based on a subscription model. It may not seem like much but all these subscription start adding up. I won't be buying any additional Roomie products.

Moving forward, what are the best non-Roomie options?

Did you previously buy the IR add on? If so you are grandfathered in.