Roomie Remote - Page 51 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1501 of 1519 Old 10-02-2014, 04:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey I have switched from irule to roomie the past week. I love how simple roomie is to setup but I seem to have a few problems I would love to fix to get the app running perfect and AVS members have always seemed to have the answer in the past.

My gear is

Denon avr-1513 receiver....ir controlled
Samsung blu Ray player....ir controlled
Cox cable box...ir controlled
Roku....ip controlled
Htpc...ip controlled ( thought I only can use it for xbmc )
Sharp lcd TV.....ir controlled

Now my problem is the roku and HTPC work flawless. All functions work on my other gear but I am having a problem the gear turning on and off. The TV will not turn on when pressing a activity but if I go to test remote under the sharp TV, it will power on no issues. The denon receiver is also hit or miss for powering on and off. When I press system off I usually have to press it twice for stuff to go off. I'm guessing this might be a delay problem I have to adjust just not sure. I know most of your are more of experts than I am with his app

Also is there a way to put my htpç to sleep and wake it up when changing activities ? I can do this flawless with my logitech 650. It will power everything on and off perfect as well as put my htpç to sleep and also wake it up

Like I said I love this app. Love not having to point at gear to run it and just wanting to get it working 100%

Thanks for any and all help guys

Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 1519 Old 10-02-2014, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi! I think some times if the button for remembering the state of the device is turned on it might do this.Also the number of repeats on the signal may have to be tweaked for each device.If all fails ck the placement of the emitters.Hope this works,btw I am no expert but have experienced this type of thing in the past.
post #1503 of 1519 Old 10-02-2014, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
Do you see the Apple TV in the Auto Discovery list in Roomie when adding a device? If not, you have to restart your Apple TV - mine did not appear until I did that.

Once you select it, you need to go to the Apple TV Settings and access the Remotes option (In General I think). There you should see the Roomie Remote option to pair - select it, and you will be presented with a four digit code which you enter into Roomie on your device.
I don't have an option to add a device without creating a new Room and starting all over.
post #1504 of 1519 Old 10-03-2014, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithkeith View Post
The TV will not turn on when pressing a activity but if I go to test remote under the sharp TV, it will power on no issues. The denon receiver is also hit or miss for powering on and off. When I press system off I usually have to press it twice for stuff to go off.
Make sure that both devices have "Power for All Activites" and "Track Power State" are switched on.
For the most part these settings should resolve the issues. If you your receiver has or you can find the IR signal for OFF (not a toggle on/off, but what is called a discrete off), then you can add command to the System Off activity to turn off the denon receiver.

To find the IR signal you can search Remote Central (http://www.remotecentral.com/) and Denon forums. The Roomie Remote DDK (http://www.roomieremote.com/wp-conte...mieDDK-210.zip) and IrScrutinizer (http://www.harctoolbox.org/IrScrutinizer.html) have helped me create custom commands.

Hope this helps.
post #1505 of 1519 Old 10-03-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph S View Post
I don't have an option to add a device without creating a new Room and starting all over.
In RoomieRemote 3.x: After selecting a room, click on the 3 lines to the left of the room name. This will put you in edit mode of that room. Just below the activities you should see DEVICES. At the bottom of that list is Add Device.

Hope this helps.
post #1506 of 1519 Old 10-04-2014, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Apple iTunes Media Player Airplay button unresponsive since update to v. 3?

A favorite Activity over the last few months has been control of an iTunes library running on a Mac on my home network. I created Activities in various Rooms called "Listen to iTunes. Under Opens Remote for Device I choose Apple iTunes Media Player, and this controlled remote iTunes play reliably for months. When you run the Activity, there is an Airplay button to choose which destinations to direct music to.

I created a Roomie installation at a friend's home. They have four rooms and we had been controlling the iTunes installation on a network Mac reliably for months on Roomie v. 2.x, sending music to Apple TVs in various rooms, etc. I visited them yesterday and with apparently no other change other than the recent upgrade to Roomie v.3, Airplay control is broken. You see the Airplay button. The first time you click it, all the Airplay Destinations appear in a drop down and you may choose one. But thereafter the Airplay button is non responsive and the drop down list never appears again. You press Airplay icon and nothing happens.

I restarted the Mac running iTunes and the same scenario happened again, then unresponsive Airplay button.

So today I tried the Activity Play iTunes Music at my house and I'm experiencing the same situation.. the Airplay is mostly non responsive.

Similar experience anyone? Or do I have a wrong setting? Thanks!
post #1507 of 1519 Old 10-04-2014, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph S View Post
So how do I add the new Apple TV device? While I have "Unlimited Devices," I can find no way in 3.0 to add any new device.
I did notice this initially in one of the earlier beta builds for 3.0 but I didn't have any repeat of that issue in later on builds. My suggestion to you is backup your Roomie config in full and double check to make sure you have a backup.

Add a new room and see if you can now add devices. If that doesn't work then reset Roomie from scratch and see if that fixes it. If so then restore your settings and see if that works. If not then email Roomie support.

I want to make triple sure that you are saying that you don't see the plus button to add new devices and I am also assuming you are in the edit mode. The icons have changed in the 3.0 build.

Last edited by Thxtheater; 10-04-2014 at 06:08 PM.
post #1508 of 1519 Old 10-04-2014, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
It now works in the latest version of Roomie 3
post #1509 of 1519 Old 10-05-2014, 11:16 AM

One of my Roomie implementations uses Bose Cinemate GS II sound systems in several rooms. I searched at RC and it appears that this device only responds to Power Toggle (no discrete on/off). I'm concerned about it getting out of sync with Roomie. Other than "Track Power State" are there any other best practices to ensure reliable operation in power toggle situations? Is there a good way to integrate light sensors or current sensors with Roomie to positively manage the power state in toggled devices? Thanks.
post #1510 of 1519 Old 10-05-2014, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler View Post
One of my Roomie implementations uses Bose Cinemate GS II sound systems in several rooms. I searched at RC and it appears that this device only responds to Power Toggle (no discrete on/off). I'm concerned about it getting out of sync with Roomie. Other than "Track Power State" are there any other best practices to ensure reliable operation in power toggle situations? Is there a good way to integrate light sensors or current sensors with Roomie to positively manage the power state in toggled devices? Thanks.

If you are using only a single iOS device then it's a non issue. However if you are using more than one iOS device then you need Roomie Agent. It runs on a Mac, sits on your network and syncs all your iOS devices with Roomie so that they know the state of each device and what activity is the current activity. It works as advertised but you need the computer to be on all the time.
post #1511 of 1519 Old 10-09-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxtheater View Post
If you are using only a single iOS device then it's a non issue. However if you are using more than one iOS device then you need Roomie Agent. It runs on a Mac, sits on your network and syncs all your iOS devices with Roomie so that they know the state of each device and what activity is the current activity. It works as advertised but you need the computer to be on all the time.
Thanks for the recommendation, Thxtheater. I have just installed Roomie Agent in my home environment to become more familiar with it prior to taking it to my friends' home. In both my home and my friends', there are two people with multiple iOS devices running Roomie in multiple Rooms of the house simultaneously.

Once you have Roomie Agent running in the background (or any occurrence of the iOS Roomie app, I understand), if you make changes on your Roomie app in the Living Room for example, another person's open Roomie app actually changes, live, to that same control page, unless, it seems, the second person's Roomie is currently working in a different Room, say the Bedroom.

I seem to have been able to reliably reproduce this problem: in the above scenario, the Roomie device in the Bedroom walks out of the bedroom into the Living Room and that user changes Rooms to Living Room, none of those commands are responded to.

In a busy household, with two people running Roomie on multiple iOS devices in four different Roomie Rooms, still trying to determine if Roomie Agent is net positive. I've searched here and haven't found a lot of information... any one have any more experiences or tips regarding Roomie Agent environment?
post #1512 of 1519 Old 10-09-2014, 08:24 AM

Roomie on an iOS device does not sync it's state when it is not active. (State, as in the AV equipment is on or off.) Unless you have either an iOS Roomie or Roomie Agent running all the time it is easy for two iOS Roomie devices to get out of sync, i.e. not know what state a room is in.

Roomie Agent insures all four of our iOS Roomies are in sync with one another. Roomie Agent is used for version back up and restoration of the configuration files. I use the configuration files for customization. Roomie Agent allows iOS Roomies to issue commands to the Mac computer and return a Mac screen to iOS Roomie. Have read that a future version of Roomie Agent will run as a service, instead of as an application. This would mean that a Mac user would not be required to be logged in to the computer.
post #1513 of 1519 Old 10-10-2014, 02:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Roomie will also be releasing a hardware agent sometime next year. This will be great for us users who do not use Mac OS.
post #1514 of 1519 Old 10-16-2014, 02:37 PM

Does anyone have any experience using Roomie Agent on iPad to screen share/control a Mac OS X computer on the network? I would like an easy way in the Roomie environment to get to iTunes app on a networked Mac so I can "manually" change AirPlay destinations.

(As per my post above (#1506), AirPlay selection in the Roomie iTunes player is not working reliably for me in this version, though I understand from Roomie support this issue has been addressed in an upcoming release.)

Anyway I can screen share to the networked Mac, I can move the cursor on that remote Mac but I can't see the cursor in the Roomie app. I also can't seem to zoom the screen large enough to be effective.

My next step is to use a separate iPad app like Mocha VNC Lite to screen share back to the networked Mac for iTunes control, but I thought I'd ask about screen sharing within Roomie Agent is anyone can help. Thanks!
post #1515 of 1519 Old 10-18-2014, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Has anyone gotten the new Roomie Blaster? Comments?
post #1516 of 1519 Old 10-24-2014, 11:57 AM

A few months back I discussed Roomie's in-app screen sharing with their tech support. Their position was they know it's a fairly rudimentary feature at this time and that they intend for it to be just robust enough to allow the user to load the screen, click on a button, run an app, etc. - but not necessarily to do much more than that.

If you want a screen sharing experience that will allow you to effectively interface with the shared device and actually "do stuff", a separate VNC app is a must. I've used iTeleport for my Mac/iOS environment and have always been very satisfied with it.
post #1517 of 1519 Old 10-25-2014, 02:35 AM

What's the deal with the official Roomie forums? They are awful. The mods manually approve every single post so it's pretty hard to get a good discussion going amongst installers. I've tried to start threads or add to discussions and half the time my posts aren't posted for no apparent reason. I see here that AVS has a catch-all category Roomie fits into, but I think Roomie or smartphone remote control apps in general should have their own subforum. We need an unofficial Roomie forum because the "official" Roomie forums are far too heavily censored for constructive conversations to take place.
post #1518 of 1519 Old 10-25-2014, 07:40 AM

Liked: 0
Oh Man I totally agree. They really shoot themselves in the foot with their forums and the lack of documentation. They are, at least fairly responsive to direct emails.
post #1519 of 1519 Old 10-25-2014, 05:21 PM

iTunes and Airplay

Think I found a solution for using iTunes and Airplay with Roomie Remote. My setup has a 2010 MacMini running OS X 10.10 and iTunes 12.0.1. The user account is a standard user (not administrator). This user is always logged in and iTunes is always open.

In the Roomie Remote Activity, are the following iTunes commands:
Start Commands:
+WAKE ON LAN ( with MAC )
.AIRPLAY SET (Computer)
.AIRPLAY TOGGLE SET ( speakers to be used )
.PLAYLIST SET ( my playlist )

Stop Command:
STOP

The Wake On LAN gets iTunes attention and then the rest of the commands work. The first Airplay command will clear any other airplay setting and set Airplay to the computer speaker. The second Airplay command will turn your speakers on. The final start command, plays the selected play list. Some playlists are music from my collection and others are an Internet Radio station. The stop command is to make sure iTunes stops, knowing that iTunes will stay open.

Have found that the Airplay Toggle command seems to find remote speakers better than the Airplay Set command. But, the toggle can turn off your speakers if they where previously on. To insure that your speakers come on the Airplay Set command is used to call a the computer speaker. This turns off all other speakers. The Airplay Set works because the "Computer" is a known constant.

This has been a lot of trial and error, so your mileage may vary. I have attempted to post questions to the Roomie forums and they never made it. At least we have AVS Forums.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Yamaha Rx V2065 Receiver , Tivo , Pioneer Vsx 1021 K 7 1 Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V2065 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page