post #1531 of 1553 Old 11-05-2014, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by therockhr View Post
I use a Denon E400 and it seems to work really well.
Denon E300 works here, along with an X3000. Both controlled via IP (and local IR). Note, you can contact jdsmoothie, an AVS member, for pretty good deals on Denon gear. Got mine from him and will likely get an X5200 (or whatever the current part#) late this winter too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 1553 Old 11-06-2014, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Listening to audio from the tv's built-in tuner/apps

My current living room setup includes...

1) Sony STR DN1040 7.2 channel Network receiver (IP control)
2) Vizio E3D320VX 32" 3D 1080p LCD HDTV with Vizio Internet Apps (IR control)
3) various other devices.

I recently purchased and installed the Roomie Remote app on my iPad and iPhone and have been setting it up to control everything, but have run into a small issue that some of you may be able to help me with. I am not seeing a way to switch my AVR to either the HDMI ARC or optical audio input from the TV in order to get the audio from its built-in ATSC tuner or Internet apps to play thru the receiver using Roomie's virtual remote for the receiver.

With the physical remote that came with the receiver, their are two ways to switch the receiver to the "TV" input. One is to use the dedicated "TV" input button on the remote. The other is to press the "Home" button on the remote, which brings up the receiver's GUI menu, allowing me to select the "TV" input by using its "Watch TV" activity-based function. However, the virtual remote in Roomie has neither a "TV" input in its list of input options nor a "Home" button. Short of using a hybrid IP/IR method of control and learning those codes from the IR remote that came with the receiver, does anybody know how to get Roomie to switch this receiver to the audio coming from the HDMI ARC or the optical audio connection assigned to the "TV" input?
post #1533 of 1553 Old 11-07-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I am loving my Roomie and have a small issue.
I am using Kaliedescape Media Server and when I start that I get the following dialog box:

'Some commands could not be sent because the Kaliedescape device is not registered. Use the Register command to register the device' with a OK button - when I click OK everything works fine...
I would appreciate if someone can help me to find where and how I register so I don't get this message every time I start the remote.
post #1534 of 1553 Old 11-08-2014, 01:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does anyone else have slow response using commands with roomie on some devices?

I have two big ones,

Plex home theater with IP control, and itach with an IR sticky on my bell express vu pvr, at times it gets jumpy, and some commands take 3-5 seconds to register, it makes it tough to use at times.
post #1535 of 1553 Old 11-08-2014, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm having going through longs lists in XBMC. For example, in a list of Movies, to skip down to the first title that starts with "S" you can hold Shift + S on the keyboard. However when using the Roomie JSON Remote, there is no shift key, capital letters are sent as the same command is if Caps Lock was on. In essence, there is no Roomie command for Shift + {a letter}. Is there a good way to sort in XBMC using the upnp server remote used by Roomie?
post #1536 of 1553 Old 11-13-2014, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post
Does anyone else have slow response using commands with roomie on some devices?

I have two big ones,

Plex home theater with IP control, and itach with an IR sticky on my bell express vu pvr, at times it gets jumpy, and some commands take 3-5 seconds to register, it makes it tough to use at times.
Make sure all other apps are closed on your iphone which will slow Roomie down.
post #1537 of 1553 Old 11-14-2014, 02:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowknown View Post
Make sure all other apps are closed on your iphone which will slow Roomie down.
That did not seem to make a difference. Roomie is not slow running, but basically its some commands from some remotes seem to take awhile to register in roomie (looking at the logging at the top of an activity you can see when it registers after a press), its basically laggy for some devices.
post #1538 of 1553 Old 11-14-2014, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post
That did not seem to make a difference. Roomie is not slow running, but basically its some commands from some remotes seem to take awhile to register in roomie (looking at the logging at the top of an activity you can see when it registers after a press), its basically laggy for some devices.
Have you adjusted the delay setting for the commands that seem to take a while to register?
post #1539 of 1553 Old 11-18-2014, 11:38 AM

Question Jvc rs-56

I want to program a Roomie Remote for a few rooms and would appreciate some suggestions on set up. My family room is currently working but can be improved. I need to add two more rooms but for now I want to focus on the main theater.

For my Theater I have;
JVC RS56 Projector
Onkyo PR SC5508
Oppo BDP-93 –(iTach IP2SL)
Comcast Cable DVR (DCX 3400) (iTach IP 2IR)
Lumagen Mini 3D
Darbee darblet

The video tutorial suggests I
add Onkyo, add activity
add Comcast DVR, add activity (leave power on)
add Oppo Blu Ray, add activity
add JVC Projector, add activity ( power off requires two inputs, what delay between power off commands?)

Lumagen Mini 3D ?

I want to be sure and have the device power on/input sequence is correct since the EDID/HDMI hand shake doesn't recognize 3D unless it is done in the optimal order.

I’m not sure what to do with the Lumagen and Darbee and may be relocating them if I upgrade to the Lumagen 2020. I route the Cable video through the Onkyo and while I don’t watch much Blu-Ray 3D, when I do I route the video through the Lumagen and bypass the Onkyo so need to select a different input. I can play regular Blu-ray either way. The 2021 would simplify this since I would not run any video through the Onkyo. The Mini has been flakey ever since I got it.

Thank you.

Last edited by GeorgeHolland; 11-18-2014 at 02:40 PM.
post #1540 of 1553 Old 11-18-2014, 08:32 PM

First pass at programming the Basement Theater was successful. I left the Lumagen Mini out for now and haven't added separate activities for Blu-Ray 16x9 and 2.35:1 with zoom but at least every thing is communicating.

I also programmed a bonus Room and it works with a limitation of a Panasonic BD player with a power toggle vs. descrete on/off that is a pain.

Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHolland View Post
I want to program a Roomie Remote for a few rooms and would appreciate some suggestions on set up. My family room is currently working but can be improved. I need to add two more rooms but for now I want to focus on the main theater.

For my Theater I have;
JVC RS56 Projector
Onkyo PR SC5508
Oppo BDP-93 –(iTach IP2SL)
Comcast Cable DVR (DCX 3400) (iTach IP 2IR)
Lumagen Mini 3D
Darbee darblet

The video tutorial suggests I
add Onkyo, add activity
add Comcast DVR, add activity (leave power on)
add Oppo Blu Ray, add activity
add JVC Projector, add activity ( power off requires two inputs, what delay between power off commands?)

Lumagen Mini 3D ?

I want to be sure and have the device power on/input sequence is correct since the EDID/HDMI hand shake doesn't recognize 3D unless it is done in the optimal order.

I’m not sure what to do with the Lumagen and Darbee and may be relocating them if I upgrade to the Lumagen 2020. I route the Cable video through the Onkyo and while I don’t watch much Blu-Ray 3D, when I do I route the video through the Lumagen and bypass the Onkyo so need to select a different input. I can play regular Blu-ray either way. The 2021 would simplify this since I would not run any video through the Onkyo. The Mini has been flakey ever since I got it.

Thank you.
post #1541 of 1553 Old 11-22-2014, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Question

I have been using a Harmony 1100 for my HT. The device has been fairly buggy and I would like to upgrade to something else. I've been thinking about Roomie. What would I need to get other than the:

1. The iOS App for $10;
2. The 10 Device Pack for $20;
3. An IR Wi-Fi Blaster for $110?

What is the Roomie Service Subscription for? Is it necessary for the remote to function?

Also, programming and customizing the Harmony 1100 was pretty cumbersome. Is Roomie easier to customize than the 1100?

Thansk.
post #1542 of 1553 Old 11-22-2014, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael9009 View Post
I have been using a Harmony 1100 for my HT. The device has been fairly buggy and I would like to upgrade to something else. I've been thinking about Roomie. What would I need to get other than the:

1. The iOS App for $10;
2. The 10 Device Pack for $20;
3. An IR Wi-Fi Blaster for $110?

What is the Roomie Service Subscription for? Is it necessary for the remote to function?

Also, programming and customizing the Harmony 1100 was pretty cumbersome. Is Roomie easier to customize than the 1100?

Thansk.
That's what I came from, the Harmony 1100. Roomie is way easier, as long as all your equipment is wireless or you can put an IR receptacle on them....I don't think you need the subscription at all. I think I have it but the directv guide never pulls up.

post #1543 of 1553 Old 11-22-2014, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie b View Post
That's what I came from, the Harmony 1100. Roomie is way easier, as long as all your equipment is wireless or you can put an IR receptacle on them....I don't think you need the subscription at all. I think I have it but the directv guide never pulls up.
Thank you very much.

I really need to understand the need of the subscription because I would never be willing to pay fees on an ongoing basis for a universal remote. Logitech never demanded a subscription for the 1100.
post #1544 of 1553 Old 11-22-2014, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael9009 View Post
Thank you very much.

I really need to understand the need of the subscription because I would never be willing to pay fees on an ongoing basis for a universal remote. Logitech never demanded a subscription for the 1100.
Its my understanding that you get IR support for non-listed devices. I think you also get guides for various things, but I don't really use those so I don't know for sure. I'm sure its in this thread or someone can chime in. $1.41 a month is well worth it either way in my opinion. Logitech's remotes are nothing like this....you would have to plug them into a computer and go through this tedious process to make changes. With Roomie, its a ton easier, and you don't even really need to buy a remote....just put it on an iOS device and you're done. Get a new iPhone, it will be on there after your restore from your old phone backup. Updates update just like any app. Roomie is probably one of my best additions to my theater.

post #1545 of 1553 Old 11-22-2014, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Roomie Remote

The subscription pays for the guides. Television channels, Roku channels, iTunes lists, Plex lists, etc. Using these guides is what makes the Roomie easy to use. I too, came from the Harmony 1100. In order to change a channel on the Harmony, you have to use the guide that is displayed on the TV. That means you need to look and touch the remote to display the guide on the TV. Then look/touch back and forth between the TV and remote until you find the channel you want watch. With Roomie guides you only look at the remote. You touch the channel you want to watch. This makes a world of difference in ease of use. Get the subscription too.

Last edited by idoug; 11-22-2014 at 11:52 AM.
post #1546 of 1553 Old 11-22-2014, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Assistance appreciative.

All I am looking for is an ipad app that allows me to turn on/off my Sony Bravia HX820 HDTV.

I have found several free apps that controls the volume, changes channels, etc, but none of them have a dedicated power button. Looking to retire my Sony remote if possible. Currently all I use the Sony remote for is to turn my HDTV on/off. Everything else is controlled with my Logitech k400 keyboard / htpc setup.

The Sony HX820 is connected to the internet with an ethernet cable.

Will the $9.99 roomie ipad app allow me to simply turn my Sony HX820 off/on? Are there additional hardware devices needed to be purchased.

If not, are there an ipad app (free preferably or paid) that allows me to turn it on/off.

Note: Simply looking for a way to power the Sony HX820 on/off with an ipad.

Last edited by strawberryyogurt; 11-22-2014 at 06:28 PM.
post #1547 of 1553 Old 11-22-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryyogurt View Post
Note: Simply looking for a way to power the Sony HX820 on/off with an ipad.
Looks like your Sony TV is one of the few devices out there that does not have Internet Protocol (IP) control for power. With Roomie this means you also need the Roomie Blaster $100. Any remote control application that works on an iOS device (iPad/iTouch/iPhone) will also need some means to transfer the IP power signal from the iOS device to Infrared (IR).
post #1548 of 1553 Old 11-23-2014, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idoug View Post
Looks like your Sony TV is one of the few devices out there that does not have Internet Protocol (IP) control for power. With Roomie this means you also need the Roomie Blaster $100. Any remote control application that works on an iOS device (iPad/iTouch/iPhone) will also need some means to transfer the IP power signal from the iOS device to Infrared (IR).
Appreciate the response.

Even their newer Sony TVs? What about the following two units:

Sony KDL60R510A
Samsung UN58H5202AFXZA
post #1549 of 1553 Old 11-23-2014, 11:08 AM

The RoomieRemote website is pretty comprehensive in what it works with: http://www.roomieremote.com/device-compatibility/
If what you are looking for is listed in IP Compatible then you should not need to buy any hardware. Some items like your Sony and it's power control are exceptions.
post #1550 of 1553 Old 11-23-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idoug View Post
The RoomieRemote website is pretty comprehensive in what it works with: http://www.roomieremote.com/device-compatibility/
If what you are looking for is listed in IP Compatible then you should not need to buy any hardware. Some items like your Sony and it's power control are exceptions.
Appreciate all your help provided here and via PM.

For those interested lurkers, I have also been in communications with Will Price of Roomie Remote. Looks like I will be on the look out for a new Sony TV and will be getting the new Roomie Remote $9.99 ipad app when I decide on the Sony model. Considered a Samsung, but will stick with the trusty Sony, and soon the trusty Roomie Remote app.

Yes, it might be over the top to buy a new Sony TV and a Roomie Remote app just so I can power on/off the tv unit when my trusty HX820 Sony included remote works just fine. I know.

My email correspondence from Will is as follows:

================================================
EMAIL#1

strawberrysundayshortcake *avsforum wouldn't allow the use of strawberrysundayshortcake as a username; too long; had to choose something else, thus strawberryyogurt.
Nov 22 16:09
I'm simply looking for any ipad app that will allow me to turn on/off my Sony Bravia HX820 tv. I found the roomie remote app for $9.99. Is it possible to simply download the roomie remote app and turn on/off my Sony Bravia HX820 without additional hardware to purchase.

Side Note: I found other Sony ipad app that controls the volume, changes the channel, home option, etc. etc, but I haven't been able to find an app that allows me to turn off/on my Sony Bravia. If the roomie remote works, I'll be glad to pay the $9.99. I just need to know if it's going to work. I have my Sony Bravia connected via an ethernet cable to the internet.

EMAIL#1
Will Price (Roomie Remote)
Nov 22 17:19
The HX820 is one of Sony's older models that does not support the ability to turn on via IP. It will be well controlled with Roomie including for power control using infrared with one of our Roomie Blaster adapters from http://store.roomieremote.com.

Thank You,
Roomie Remote Support

EMAIL#2

strawberrysundayshortcake
Nov 22 21:55
Definitely appreciate the quick response.

Will the following Sony KDL60R510A have IP control using the Roomie $9.99 app without further need to buy any additional hardware? Specifically referring to turning the TV on/off.

Will the Samsung UN58H5202AFXZA have IP control using the Roomie $9.99 app without further need to buy any additional hardware? Specifically referring to turning the TV on/off.

Note: I'm basically trying to retire my tv remote and simply use my ipad to turn on/off the unit.

Thanks.

EMAIL#2
Nov 22 22:28
The Sony R models did not support IP control of power. The W and X models do from 2013 forward.

No Samsung TV ever produced supports power via IP control.

All of those units are well controlled with a Roomie Blaster.

Thank You,
Roomie Remote Support

EMAIL#3

strawberrysundayshortcake
Nov 23 10:10
Very appreciative. Clarification purposes:

1. So ALL W and X models will work with IP to turn the HDTV ON/OFF?

2. Is the $9.99 Roomie Remote control app a one time fee or is Roomie Remote (the way I want to use it (power HDTV ON/OFF, and eventually other standard basic remote control features included in this one time $9.99 fee OR is Roomie Remote a subscription monthly based service)?

EMAIL #3
Nov 23 10:17
1. Yes, as long as they are 2013+. In theory they [Sony] could have produced a model we're not aware of that is an exception to this, but we have never encountered a W or X that didn't support full IP.

2. The basic features of Roomie do not require the Roomie Service Subscription. Simple IP control of a TV does not require the Roomie Service.

This page shows the features specific to the Roomie Service:

http://www.roomieremote.com/service/

Thank You,
Roomie Remote Support

Last edited by strawberryyogurt; 11-23-2014 at 02:04 PM.
post #1551 of 1553 Old Yesterday, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

If you decide to upgrade your television to one that supports Power On via. IP then no addition hardware or Roomie services are required.

If you do not want to buy a new TV with this feature then you have two options...

1) spend $99 on the Roomie Blaster, which will allow you to use the Roomie Remote app to control IR and serial devices. You can still use IP control for every other command your TV supports. You would just use the IR blaster to turn the TV on. No additional services are required if you use the Roomie Blaster as your IR adaptor. If you already have an older IR adaptor then you would need to pay the subscription service.

2) you could enable HDMI CEC (Sony calls it Bravia Sync) in which case you could use a compatible source device (such as a blu-Ray player or Chromcast) that supports Power On via. IP to turn your TV on. However, HDMI CEC can cause your equipment to do things you would rather it didn't. So, you may want to experiment with it to see if you like it before settling on this option.
post #1552 of 1553 Old Yesterday, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
If you decide to upgrade your television to one that supports Power On via. IP then no addition hardware or Roomie services are required.

If you do not want to buy a new TV with this feature then you have two options...

1) spend $99 on the Roomie Blaster, which will allow you to use the Roomie Remote app to control IR and serial devices. You can still use IP control for every other command your TV supports. You would just use the IR blaster to turn the TV on. No additional services are required if you use the Roomie Blaster as your IR adaptor. If you already have an older IR adaptor then you would need to pay the subscription service.

2) you could enable HDMI CEC (Sony calls it Bravia Sync) in which case you could use a compatible source device (such as a blu-Ray player or Chromcast) that supports Power On via. IP to turn your TV on. However, HDMI CEC can cause your equipment to do things you would rather it didn't. So, you may want to experiment with it to see if you like it before settling on this option.
Good stuff. Good stuff.

I kind of still want to stick with an hdtv with a full on built in IP on/off function. Thanks for bringing up the HDMI CEC -- thought I had a Sony blu ray player, but turned out to be a Samsung. The $99 Roomie Blaster one time fee no subscription fee will probably be my last resort, but could also be earlier as well.

I thought about it some more yesterday, and decided maybe it's best to hold off on getting a new HDTV when the Sony HX820 works perfectly fine.

More importantly, I will probably wait until the dust settles on the 4K phenomenon, something about 8bit vs. 10bit and only 4K sets with 10bits will truly support Netflix 4k streaming and other true 4K content. As it stands, research says 10bit 4K sets are rare. Most 4K sets don't even clearly specify if their set is 8bit or 10bit. Today's 4K TVs may not be so future proof after all; they may be "obsolete" in the near future.

Yesterday was considering the following (in no specific order):
1. Sony KDL60W630B
2. Sony KDL60w850b
3. Sony 4K XBR55X850B

A few days earlier even, considered the following (these are now crossed off my list of potentials because they don't support full on/off IP control):
1. Sony KDL60R510A
2. Samsung UN58H5202AFXZA

EDIT: Or unless someone can tell me which Sony (preferably) HDTV or any other branded 4k hdtv is in fact a 10bit. Somewhere in the realm of a 55 - 60 inch set.

Last edited by strawberryyogurt; Yesterday at 09:52 PM.
post #1553 of 1553 Old Today, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Roomie with Lutron Caseta

I love the Roomie interface, but very difficult to set up some devices. (My Marantz receiver and Oppo blu ray were easy). Trying to set up a Sony HW55, got the baud rate correct (who knew I'd be learning baud rates!). but still not working. So onto:

Trying to integrage Lutron Caseta. Does anyone understand "Triggers?" From the Roomie website. Argh!

Version 3.0 introduces the ability to configure Triggers for Lutron Radio RA 2 and SmartBridge Pro. Triggers watch the status of the device and take an action when the status changes to something you’ve specified. For instance, if a keypad button press should initiate the Watch TV activity, you can set that up with a Trigger. Triggers require the Roomie Service.

Triggers are always active as long as Roomie is running. You may also specify that the Trigger Agent should be Roomie Agent for OS X instead of Roomie itself. Using Roomie Agent to watch Triggers allow you to close all of your Roomie devices and have any Roomie command initiated directly from Roomie Agent on OS X.

Currently supported Trigger devices include Lutron Radio RA 2 and SmartBridge Pro. We will be enlarging this initial set of devices in the future. Target actions can involve any device to run any Activity that can be configured in Roomie. Only the Trigger itself is specific to certain devices at this time.

First, make sure your Lutron hub is configured with a username and password. The default password of lutron/integration will not work. You will need the Integration ID of the device you want to watch. Roomie provides these integration IDs whenever you use the Add Command feature. Examples of usage:

To watch the brightness level of a light, enter the Integration ID of the light and the brightness level that should invoke the trigger action. (See screenshot)
To watch for a keypad button press, enter the Integration ID of the keypad and the button number to watch.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Yamaha Rx V2065 Receiver , Tivo , Pioneer Vsx 1021 K 7 1 Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V2065 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page