Forum Jump: 

post #1561 of 1581 Old 11-30-2014, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post
Does anyone know if Roomie is able to switch from app to app on a Roku 3? Meaning my Watch Netflix activity launches the Netflix app and my Listen to Pandora activity launches the Pandora app.
What you are looking for is called "URL scheme" which means that you can launch apps by entering an URL. For Netflix that's "ntflx://".

You can enter those URLs in Roomie to have it start a different app.

Check out this list: http://wiki.akosma.com/IPhone_URL_Schemes

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Markus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 1581 Old 12-01-2014, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Markus View Post
What you are looking for is called "URL scheme" which means that you can launch apps by entering an URL. For Netflix that's "ntflx://".

You can enter those URLs in Roomie to have it start a different app.

Check out this list: http://wiki.akosma.com/IPhone_URL_Schemes

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Markus
I know I can launch an app on my ipad, but can I launch an an app on the roku, fire tv, or some other streaming device?
post #1563 of 1581 Old 12-01-2014, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
I know I can launch an app on my ipad, but can I launch an an app on the roku, fire tv, or some other streaming device?

Yes, on Roku you add a command that sets a channel number. Each app on the Roku is assigned a channel number by the Roku.
post #1564 of 1581 Old 12-02-2014, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idoug View Post
Yes, on Roku you add a command that sets a channel number. Each app on the Roku is assigned a channel number by the Roku.
Awesome, think I'm gonna buy one tomorrow

Only thing missing for me is XBMC. Hopefully one day a streaming box will come out that's IP controllable via Roomie and has XBMC.

Last edited by bdizzle; 12-02-2014 at 05:31 PM.
post #1565 of 1581 Old 12-02-2014, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post
What exactly are you having issues with? Setting up roomie is the easiest remote setup and fastest that I have ever done or seen. I too am using a niles ir repeater along with the global cache' IP to IR module. If you are setting up baud rates, sounds like you are using IP to RS232. Please explain what you have having issues with in more depth so we can get a better understanding of what you are trying to do.
I don't know that I would quite call Roomie the easiest remote control to program. I have set up a half dozen learning remotes and like all programming, sometimes you get lucky!

I am trying to get a Sony VPL- HW55es to work through a serial controller. After 3 days of emails and learning that Roomie no longer supports Global Cache products bought through another suppplier, I am returning them to the honorable companies on Amazon and ordering through Roomie at a higher price. Global Cache send me the set up, which it appears that I properly set-up (baud rate, etc). They suggested that the firmware may have been outdated.

I am also trying to set up my Lutron Caseta dimmers through a Smart Bridge Pro. (This is a fantastic set-up BTW) I showed my brother, who is a computer programmer, the integration report from Lutron, which he understood, but still had no idea of how to apply the numbers to the Roomie app to control the lights.

I am looking for the distinct steps in programming Roomie for Lutron integration? Questions:

1. Can you control multiple dimmers with a command?
2. Can you turn off (or on) all dimmers with a command/s?
3. Can you duplicate the "scene settings" in Roomie?

Last edited by trmoore2; 12-02-2014 at 09:06 PM.
post #1566 of 1581 Old 12-02-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayworth View Post
You seriously think that "I was told unless I purchased the Global Cache Itach's directly from Roomie, they would not support them" is unreasonable? Where does that line stop? Under that logic, every single device in the world would have to be directly supported by Roomie which is comical. Obviously, if you purchase something from someone else, you're not going to get tech support for it from Roomie and you included in your post the information on how you DO get support for it, so it's not clear what the issue is.

Why would your logic not apply to a TV, a BD player, or literally anything. The adapters you buy from Roomie are not identical to the iTach so the line is very clear. If it's got a Roomie logo on it, they provide support for it. Your post even implies Roomie should do tech support for your iPad because you're including that in your "$700". Man, I feel for them when I see posts like yours. What I see is "I bought ~$650 of stuff from someone else and then the company I paid <$50 to for control isn't doing hardware support for everything I didn't buy from them!" LOL.

Your better way to proceed is to raise the details for your "more complicated activities" here IMO. Essentially, it sounds like you need professional/custom work, so either someone here would be able to help or would at least be able to conclude you need to hire somebody to help you.
Actually, I was simply trying to get a Sony projector to turn on/off with a serial connection. (I wouldn't call that "custom work!") After 3 days of cursory emails it was apparent that Roomie is either quite under-staffed or doesn't care. I didn't come up with Global Cache name on my own, Roomie recommended them in their previous advertising. It appears they have changed their policy to cut down on tech support?

The difference in their customer service and say Marantz, Harmon Kardon, or Lutron (companies I'm dealing with in building my home theater) is night and day. Granted they are a start up app company, but if they wish to grow and compete, it would seem important to respond to the serious home theater aficionados. Obviously, this group is technically savvy; what is the average customer to do at this point in Roomie's financial cycle? I also want to make it clear to potential adopters that this company needs to up their game to be ready for prime time.

Last edited by trmoore2; 12-02-2014 at 09:05 PM.
post #1567 of 1581 Old 12-03-2014, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmoore2 View Post
I don't know that I would quite call Roomie the easiest remote control to program. I have set up a half dozen learning remotes and like all programming, sometimes you get lucky!

I am trying to get a Sony VPL- HW55es to work through a serial controller. After 3 days of emails and learning that Roomie no longer supports Global Cache products bought through another suppplier, I am returning them to the honorable companies on Amazon and ordering through Roomie at a higher price. Global Cache send me the set up, which it appears that I properly set-up (baud rate, etc). They suggested that the firmware may have been outdated.

I am also trying to set up my Lutron Caseta dimmers through a Smart Bridge Pro. (This is a fantastic set-up BTW) I showed my brother, who is a computer programmer, the integration report from Lutron, which he understood, but still had no idea of how to apply the numbers to the Roomie app to control the lights.

I am looking for the distinct steps in programming Roomie for Lutron integration? Questions:

1. Can you control multiple dimmers with a command?
2. Can you turn off (or on) all dimmers with a command/s?
3. Can you duplicate the "scene settings" in Roomie?
1. yes
2. yes
3. yes

You can customize buttons to give more than one command. Some of my devices need two commands such as turning the popcorn hour off. It needs a "power" command and then the "delete" command. You just have to set up what you want. For example: if you want to turn off the kitchen lights and living room lights, you can either make a single button with multiple commands or you can have a button for both, etc. If you want all lights off, make a button that turns all light off and the same for lights on.

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #1568 of 1581 Old 12-03-2014, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone gotten Roomier to work with Vera? I added my vera lite controller and can control the light from Vera, but I can't control it in Roomie.

Also since Roomie's documentation is pretty much non-existent, is anyone interested in helping to populate a Roomie wiki? I don't think Roomie is going to do it any time soon so having it be community led might be the next best thing.
trmoore2 likes this.
post #1569 of 1581 Old 12-03-2014, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just a note though that we have added a great tech writer to the team recently and we're churning out documentation one piece at a time. A few of the early pieces are now finished and posted here:

http://www.roomieremote.com/faq/#quickstart-blaster

We also have a broader setup guide in beta that we're putting through some testing now. In the meantime, the Video Tutorial is the best starting point. We also added real live support that isn't me recently. These things will take time to reach escape velocity, but are going well.

Vera is a very common device in the user base. Support can figure out what's going on there with a diagnostic.

As an aside, as we previewed on Twitter last week, we're about to release Roomie Agent 2.1 with SmartThings support in the next week or so. It's easier to be sure about timing on that because it doesn't need to go through App Store approval. That will allow events like everyone leaving the home or motion detection, etc. to trigger Roomie activities in a SmartThings environment when Roomie Agent is running. This is an automatic update for current Roomie Agent customers.

- Will
post #1570 of 1581 Old 12-03-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post
1. yes
2. yes
3. yes

You can customize buttons to give more than one command. Some of my devices need two commands such as turning the popcorn hour off. It needs a "power" command and then the "delete" command. You just have to set up what you want. For example: if you want to turn off the kitchen lights and living room lights, you can either make a single button with multiple commands or you can have a button for both, etc. If you want all lights off, make a button that turns all light off and the same for lights on.
Thanks PI, I assumed thats the case, but the user is going through the Smart Bridge Pro, it's not a direct IR path. This is the information I've been able to gleen so far:

Open the Lutron application (on your phone) and click the check box to show Advanced settings. Inside the Lutron Advanced settings choose Integration and then you have two things to finish the initial setup:

1. Enable telnet support

2. Send integration report

The integration report will be sent to your email address that you have registered via the application. The report will look like this:

{
"LIPIdList" : {
"Devices" : [
{
"ID" : 1,
"Name" : "Smart Bridge Pro",
"Buttons" : [
{
"Name" : "Post Movie",
"Number" : 1
},
{
"Name" : "All Off",
"Number" : 2
},
{
"Name" : "Pre Movie",
"Number" : 3
},
{
"Name" : "All Lights On",
"Number" : 4
},

"Zones" : [
{
"ID" : 2,
"Name" : "4 Main"
},
{
"ID" : 3,
"Name" : "2 Main Front"
},
{
"ID" : 4,
"Name" : "7 Perimeter"
},
{
"ID" : 5,
"Name" : "2 Front Little"
},
{
"ID" : 7,
"Name" : "Sconces"
}

The top 4 are "Scene Settings," The bottom 5 are the names of individual dimmers. (I have left off 50 other buttons for brevity.)

Using this information you can (supposedly!) setup the Lutron Smartbridge within the Roomie parameters. The integration id's are the ID's listed in the "integration report." The zone ID's will be switches and dimmers and will say the same. The buttons are scenes, more specifically phantom buttons.

That's all somewhat clear/murky, but it seems that the number for individual dimmers and scene settings are the same. Anyone try this?

Last edited by trmoore2; 12-03-2014 at 02:57 PM. Reason: clarity
post #1571 of 1581 Old 12-03-2014, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Newbie here, and need some help!

Hello,
I am new to the Roomie remote scene, and would love to start using it. But before I start, I have some questions that would like for you guys to help me with.

This is what i am working with
Components:
-Panasonic DMP-BDT320 Integrated Wi-Fi 3D Blu-ray DVD Player (Ethernet or WIFI)
-Pioneer VSX-824-K 700W 5.2-Ch. Home Theater Receiver (Ethernet)
-Epson – PowerLite Home Cinema 3020 3D 3LCD Projector (IR)
-G-Box Midnight MX2 Android 4.2 XBMC Streaming Mini HTPC TV Box Player (ir)
-Lutron Maestro Dimmer & Switch (IR "I think"
-IOGEAR – Wireless 3D A/V Transmitter and Receiver
-Seagate FreeAgent Goflex tv (IR)
- Iapd mini, running roomie remote v3

Now based on this, can anyone please guide me as to what exactly I need to buy to get roomie going.
not sue if I should get the IR Blaster or the Itach or both that is where i am lost. I would really appreciate any help from this forum, thank you so much in advanced!
post #1572 of 1581 Old 12-04-2014, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yamaha commands missing

Been using Roomie for about a year now. Very happy with it. I additionally have the IR solution because of my COMCAST cable box (comes with the house) that doesn't have IP and my TV (2011 era) which will turn off with IP but not on. The point being I'm very familiar with IR control on Roomie.
Just got a new AVR - Yamaha RX-A1040.
Even though Roomie provides over 300 commands, there are some that aren't provided.
On the Yamaha remote is the On Screen button, which brings up a handy menu. That is obviously an IR command.
The command is also available on the Yamaha IP control app.
I'd like to use that control in Roomie.
So, I built an IR controlled device and thought I would learn those commands.
Everything seemed to go OK with the learning, except the commands when sent don't execute.
Hmmmm. Anybody have any ideas?
Thanks.
post #1573 of 1581 Old 12-04-2014, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
All fixed!
The IR emitter slipped out of position on the Yamaha.
Back in position and everything is working as I had hoped.
It's always the little things - sigh.
post #1574 of 1581 Old 12-04-2014, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmoore2 View Post
Thanks PI, I assumed thats the case, but the user is going through the Smart Bridge Pro, it's not a direct IR path. This is the information I've been able to gleen so far:

Open the Lutron application (on your phone) and click the check box to show Advanced settings. Inside the Lutron Advanced settings choose Integration and then you have two things to finish the initial setup:

1. Enable telnet support

2. Send integration report

The integration report will be sent to your email address that you have registered via the application. The report will look like this:

{
"LIPIdList" : {
"Devices" : [
{
"ID" : 1,
"Name" : "Smart Bridge Pro",
"Buttons" : [
{
"Name" : "Post Movie",
"Number" : 1
},
{
"Name" : "All Off",
"Number" : 2
},
{
"Name" : "Pre Movie",
"Number" : 3
},
{
"Name" : "All Lights On",
"Number" : 4
},

"Zones" : [
{
"ID" : 2,
"Name" : "4 Main"
},
{
"ID" : 3,
"Name" : "2 Main Front"
},
{
"ID" : 4,
"Name" : "7 Perimeter"
},
{
"ID" : 5,
"Name" : "2 Front Little"
},
{
"ID" : 7,
"Name" : "Sconces"
}

The top 4 are "Scene Settings," The bottom 5 are the names of individual dimmers. (I have left off 50 other buttons for brevity.)

Using this information you can (supposedly!) setup the Lutron Smartbridge within the Roomie parameters. The integration id's are the ID's listed in the "integration report." The zone ID's will be switches and dimmers and will say the same. The buttons are scenes, more specifically phantom buttons.

That's all somewhat clear/murky, but it seems that the number for individual dimmers and scene settings are the same. Anyone try this?
Sorry man, I am not good with the conversation part. Your computer friend would probably be way more help than me on that.

- Leon Phelps
post #1575 of 1581 Old 12-04-2014, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNick View Post
All fixed!
The IR emitter slipped out of position on the Yamaha.
Back in position and everything is working as I had hoped.
It's always the little things - sigh.

Haha nice!

- Leon Phelps
post #1576 of 1581 Old 12-08-2014, 07:58 PM

Recent experience with Roomie

I just spent some time setting up Roomie to control a couple of home theater systems and wanted to share some interesting things from the experience. I also have URC MX-900’s programmed to control these systems.

First off, the IP control of our Onkyo/Integra pre-pro worked great. Same with our 2012 Sharp Aquos TV, and DirecTV HR44 Genie. Highlights are the ease and speed of setup with autodiscovery, highly-functional device feedback (e.g.: Roomie app shows the name of a recorded show and how many minutes remaining), Roomie’s ability to automatically synch remote configs across multiple iOS devices, and an impressive range of supported devices. Also, hats off to Roomie for technical support that responded quickly and competently.

Now for some issues I ran into (not necessarily Roomie issues, but things that come up in the course of using Roomie):

(1) Roomie’s new IP control support for AppleTV is truly great. But, there is presently an anomaly where Roomie cannot awaken an Apple TV from sleep by IP when the device is connected by Ethernet. An AppleTV awakens fine if it is connected by WiFi. This is apparently an issue in the current version of the Apple TV software. Bottom line: for now you’ll have to turn on your AppleTV by infrared if you’re connected by Ethernet, or set it up so that it never sleeps.

(2) IP control of the DirecTV Genie (HR34 and HR44) works great, including turning that unit on and off. IP control of Genie Clients (both wired and wireless versions) also works well with a couple of issues to keep in mind:
a. the Genie clients cannot be turned on or off by IP. They consume relatively low lower so it may be acceptable to just leave them on all the time, however if they get turned off (e.g. power interruption) you’ll have to turn them on by IR or wireless DirecTV remote. Interestingly, there are IR and wireless remote commands to turn the units off and on, but apparently no IP commands to do so (even though the HR34/44 have such commands).
b. We experienced the response to the IP commands feeling a little “laggy” compared to IR commands on the Genie clients. The Genie itself was however very snappy in response to IP commands.

(3) We have a 2014 Samsung 8550 series UHD 4k TV. As far as I can tell, IP control is not going to work with this TV – not supported by Samsung. But, serial is supported, was easy to get working, and worked consistently with a GlobalCache IP2Serial device. Unfortunately, this was not an acceptable solution for us due to the limited scope of the command set supported over serial.

Here’s why serial didn't cut it: this is a “smart TV” (Samsung says so) and has built in apps for various things including Netflix and Amazon video, and also a DirecTV Genie Client (RVU Client). These are useful since you can play actual 4k content from NetFlix and DirecTV using these built in apps. The catch is that these apps respond to media control commands (play/pause, FF, REW, etc.) which are present on the Samsung IR remote. These commands are not provided in the Roomie Samsung TV serial support (although they are in the Roomie IR support), so serial is not a viable option for this TV if you are going to use TV apps that respond to the media control commands.

(4) Some notes/workarounds on the iTach WiFi Flex device:
a. I could not get the initial setup to work properly on Mac OSX (Safari or Firefox), but it worked fine using Windows/Internet explorer (even under Parallels). I tried two different iTach Flex WiFi’s, both with the latest firmware, both with the same result.
b. I experienced connection issues requiring router reboot and/or iTach Flex device reset. These issues went away when router was reconfigured to use only 54mb wireless speed (disallowed NetGear’s 150 and 300mb enhanced speed options). Interestingly, the iTach Flex WiFi is the only device where I've experienced this issue.
c. Thus far I have been unable to get the iTach Flex WiFi with serial connection to a Panasonic projector to work with acceptable reliability. It does work, but my experience is that often commands need to be repeated several times. Fortunately, the same iTach Flex Wifi works fine using IR to control this device.
d. It appears that iTach Flex IR blaster is weaker in terms of IR light output than the URC MX-900 hard button remote, which may add constraints to device location.

Overall, I found Roomie highly functional and impressive. I'm looking forward to exploring the iBeacon functionality, and perhaps the Lutron integration.
post #1577 of 1581 Old 12-08-2014, 08:03 PM

It would be really nice if they could get the XBMC JSON keyboard to actually be useful (it currently cannot send "Shift" commands so you cannot use it to jump to a title in your library.

For example, in a list of Movies, to skip down to the first title that starts with “S” you can hold Shift + S on the keyboard. However when using the keyboard Roomie JSON Remote, there is no shift key — capital letters are sent as if Caps Lock was on. In essence, there is no command for Shift + {a letter}. Is there a good way to sort in XBMC using the upnp server remote used by Roomie?

I emailed Roomie support and they told me to use the MCE Controller. The MCE Controller also does not send Shift + Letter commands. Both the MCE Controller keyboard and the XBMC controller keyboard are incapable of sending the Shift key to the OS. Both keyboards will send capital letters as if Caps Lock was on, which does not initiate the "jump to title" sort function in XBMC.

Last edited by nellie7799; 12-09-2014 at 05:09 PM.
post #1578 of 1581 Old 12-09-2014, 08:03 PM

Comcast X1 Arris Model MX011ANM

I just had Comcast install X1 service.

The main Control/DVR unit is an Arris, Model: MX011ANM

None of the remote selections are working as I edit the device. Which Arris series should I be selecting?

The other slave units are Model No: PR150BNM, I didn’t see a Manufacturer but will look again. I think that model is manufactured by PACE.
Same question but I haven't tried those yet so they may work fine.

I am using iTach IR control. Everything worked fine before with the previous Motorola DCX series remotes.

Thank you,

George Holland
post #1579 of 1581 Old 12-09-2014, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHolland View Post
I just had Comcast install X1 service.

The main Control/DVR unit is an Arris, Model: MX011ANM

None of the remote selections are working as I edit the device. Which Arris series should I be selecting?

The other slave units are Model No: PR150BNM, I didn’t see a Manufacturer but will look again. I think that model is manufactured by PACE.
Same question but I haven't tried those yet so they may work fine.

I am using iTach IR control. Everything worked fine before with the previous Motorola DCX series remotes.

Thank you,

George Holland

After Comcast support assured me the X1 system can only be configured as either RF or IR, not both, hung up on me twice, was refused when asking to speak with a supervisor, was told I needed to go through sales to have my Comcast remote exchanged for an IR version, I got nowhere. They don't even know what IR and RF is and this is a special call center group dedicated to X1 support.

While Roomie support was responsive, I am disappointed I needed to either replace the 6 iTach devices I purchased from the Roomie Store with the new blaster version or subscribe to Roomie Service in order to control the Xfinity box, I subscribed to Roomie Service and the IR control worked. This after already purchasing the Home Theater Pack, Infrared Control Pack, HD GuidePack, Agent Management Pack, and Roomie Agent for OS X.
post #1580 of 1581 Old 12-13-2014, 08:29 PM

Liked: 11
roomie and Lutron Caseta

Does anyone actually have Lutron Caseta dimmers working in Roomie?
If so I could really use a hand in getting it set up. Have Telnet enabled as well a copy of the integration report. Have tried entering all the different numbers ( even names) and I cannot get anything - even from the test remote command. Commands issue in blue but nothing happens.

update: Got fairly quick support from Roomie.
you need to accept luton and integration as the login and password when setting up the lutron smart bridge - not the email and password that you use for lutron app. Secondly the id numbers appear to be the numbers listed under zones at the end of your integration report.
To turn a light on you also need to specify a brightness level from 1-100 as well as the device id number. It appears that the only way you get the integration number field to come up is by requesting feedback on the command. Thats the simple version - there appear to be a number of other command possibilities. Did notice that if you enter a button slider as the type you can slide the brightness and when inactive the slider button shows you a bar value for brightness.

Last edited by hgmobile; 12-14-2014 at 01:16 AM.
post #1581 of 1581 Old Today, 08:30 PM

Same Problem

Same problem. Roomie shows all the devices by name on my very, but will not control the. Other network, wifi based apps work fine.

Same problem with Roomie on the Tivo Roamio Plus. Roamie shows the channel and content being played on Tivo, but will not control at all.

Just getting started with Roomie. Not impressed. It does work well with a yamaha 2010 receiver and a Nest.

Quote:
Has anyone gotten Roomier to work with Vera? I added my vera lite controller and can control the light from Vera, but I can't control it in Roomie.

Curtis
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Yamaha Rx V2065 Receiver , Tivo , Pioneer Vsx 1021 K 7 1 Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V2065 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page