Forum Jump: 
post #1591 of 1609 Old 01-02-2015, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGrant View Post
Left image is from Roomie 3 and right image is Roomie 2.
Thanks - I wondered if that was what was going on. Any ideas how to lay hands on Roomie 2 skins and use them for v3? Seems like it would be very easy and reasonable for the folks at Roomie to offer a download for use in a custom library.

Cheers - TY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 1609 Old 01-03-2015, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Posted this over on the roomie site, but I figured I would post here as well.
Today my Dune Base 3 has stopped accepting IP commands from my roommie app. Nothing has changed on the network. Everything else works fine. So it's just the Dune. Anyone else having an issue with the Dune?
post #1593 of 1609 Old 01-04-2015, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 69
The majority of my electronics doesn't support IP so if I want to add roomie support the blasters are required.

Doe this mean each device that requires the IR blaster has to be taught?

Thanks in advance

Scott
post #1594 of 1609 Old 01-06-2015, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No. Each device has predefined IR codes that it responds to. RR includes these codes when you add that device to your layout.

d
post #1595 of 1609 Old 01-06-2015, 01:48 PM

Liked: 0
Hi all

Just got a Roomie Remote, I think it's a really cool app. But, as others have said, I think it would be great if there were a separate area on AVS to discuss all things Roomie. Their own forums aren't very helpful at all. Tech support is quite responsive over email I've found, but they avoid answering direct detailed questions. It'd be great to have a place for open discussion, and this thread is waaay too long to find anything easily. Does anyone know how we could request to have that set up?

I have a pretty complex setup I'm trying to create, involving a Sony KDL-55W800B, a Denon AVR X300, Xbox 360, Macbook Pro (used for streaming via browser, iTunes, etc.), Channel Master DVR+.

It's going pretty well, but I came across a few isasues I hope someone can help with:

1) Installed Roomie Agent on my Macbook Pro, and bought the 10 Device expansion pack, plus the Guide subscription. The iPad does not find the Mac Roomie Agent
when I try to add a device. Not sure why? Do I need to use the same Apple ID on my Macbook and my iPad? Anyone else come across this?

I'm trying to get Roomie to start a couple of apps on my Sony TV, namely Netflix and Amazon Instant Video. I have two issues here:

2) The command from Rooomie to the Sony TV does not launch Amazon. I've tried pulling up the test / virtual remote and that doesn't work either. Roomie support said Sony may not have implemented it on my TV, however the Sony app "TV SideView" allows me to launch Amazon no problem. Netflix works fine. Has anyone else come across this?

3) Once Netflix or Amazon are running on my TV, I can't easily switch to a different input such as the Mac. This is because the TV is running native apps, and you need to quit the apps before it will accept other commands. Does anyone know if there's a way to do this using a Roomie command? At the moment, the only way I've managed to implement this is by sending a command to turn the TV off as the stop command for my Amazon and Netflix activities. This isn't ideal as it takes a lot of time, and getting the TV back on again is proving to be an issue. I also tried sending key sequences to quit the apps, but the sequence needed is highly dependent on where you are in the app.

Thanks in advance for any help. Happy to share details of my setup if this helps anyone else.

Chris
post #1596 of 1609 Old 01-09-2015, 09:35 PM

Quick question...

I want to add a background picture to my Roomie page on the ole pad. Just a background image that I pulled from the web. Is that do-able? If so, how?
post #1597 of 1609 Old 01-12-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borninusa View Post
Quick question...

I want to add a background picture to my Roomie page on the ole pad. Just a background image that I pulled from the web. Is that do-able? If so, how?

Hi borninusa

You can do this by:
- Backing up your Roomie Remote setup to Dropbox (from the settings menu). You'll need to link it to a Dropbox account first
- Once you have the backup on Dropbox, go into the Roomie folder. Create a new folder called "images"
- Upload the images you want to use there. They need to be .png files,
- Restore the backup from Dropbox to your iPad - this will download your images
- On your iPad, edit the controller layout. There's an option to select an image. Choose that and then select "Custom" from the options at the bottom. You should see the image(s) you uploaded to Dropbox available for selection.

Hope this helps. There's also some info on the Roomie FAQ on their web site. Check out the section called "Adding custom images"

Chris
post #1598 of 1609 Old 01-12-2015, 02:12 PM

Much appreciated Chris

I wasnt sure if it could be done for having seen visual examples of a few remotes...I have not seen one with any custom pictures.

My setup has already been linked to a dropbox....so I shall go from there. Much thanx
post #1599 of 1609 Old 01-13-2015, 10:59 AM

I don't normally answer my own questions, but I figured a couple of things out and thought they might be helpful to others, so I'll share just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Carter View Post

1) Installed Roomie Agent on my Macbook Pro, and bought the 10 Device expansion pack, plus the Guide subscription. The iPad does not find the Mac Roomie Agent when I try to add a device. Not sure why? Do I need to use the same Apple ID on my Macbook and my iPad? Anyone else come across this?

You don't need the same Apple ID. You do need to ensure that Remote Management and Remote Apple Events are enabled in SystemPreferences->Sharing. You may also need to use "Reset Agent" on the Mac - according to Roomie support this ensures the unique identifier called the home ID is the same for all your network devices.
Quote:
2) The command from Rooomie to the Sony TV does not launch Amazon. I've tried pulling up the test / virtual remote and that doesn't work either. Roomie support said Sony may not have implemented it on my TV, however the Sony app "TV SideView" allows me to launch Amazon no problem. Netflix works fine. Has anyone else come across this?
The Amazon command may not have been implemented in my TV. I have no way to check this. According to support, "Only a full reverse engineering of the network commands to your model from that app would be able to answer that." I have no idea how to do that, but I built a workaround using key presses sent to the Sony TV to launch the menu system, and the Amazon app.

Quote:
3) Once Netflix or Amazon are running on my TV, I can't easily switch to a different input such as the Mac. This is because the TV is running native apps, and you need to quit the apps before it will accept other commands. Does anyone know if there's a way to do this using a Roomie command? At the moment, the only way I've managed to implement this is by sending a command to turn the TV off as the stop command for my Amazon and Netflix activities. This isn't ideal as it takes a lot of time, and getting the TV back on again is proving to be an issue. I also tried sending key sequences to quit the apps, but the sequence needed is highly dependent on where you are in the app.
I figured this out by sending a combination of "HOME" and "RETURN" commands to the Sony TV. Stops a video from playing, and exits whatever app is running.
post #1600 of 1609 Old 01-14-2015, 09:41 AM

Does anyone have experience running XBMC through Roomie? I'm running XBMC Gotham and I've been able to get Roomie to control the app. with the virtual remote, but I'm confused about a bunch of things and Roomie's forum is devoid of additional data. The attached picture is my XBMC virtual remote - with a few minor tweaks this is basically the default virtual remote Roomie provides. You can modify the buttons and such with the exception of the black area that displays title, album and program data. This element doesn't appear for modification when you try to edit the remote. When I first started using the XBMC virtual remote album art was displayed in this box then it stopped for some reason and never came back. But the bigger mystery is the media browser that pops up on the right. Although all my music and video files are tagged with art all that Roomie displays is this simple listing. If you select a title from the list a command is issued to add the title to the playlist, but it won't play the song you select. I can't see how to modify the behavior of the right side media listing either through Roomie or XBMC.

Another thing I don't understand is how you're supposed to control anything without the XBMC visible on a display device. I have a projector in my HT. I have two activities for XBMC - one to play music, one to play movies/videos. If I'm listening to music there's no need to fire up the projector, but since I can't see a representation of the XBMC interface on the virtual remote I have no idea how to control the app. For example, in the attached picture the song playing is not reflected in the file listing on the right. I can advance to the next song using the buttons on the virtual remote, but there is no visual feedback that shows XBMC executing the commands. If I want to select another folder/album I cannot see the changes. Since the file listing on the right provides little functionality the remote is pretty useless. Of course, if I select "XBMC Movie" as the activity I can see the XBMC app running on my projector screen and the commands issued by the virtual remote control it pretty well (but not perfectly). Is there any way to modify the media list on the right to display a full or partial XBMC interface? How do you display album/movie art? How can you make the file browser feature activate the selection instead of just adding the selection to the playlist? How do you actually see the playlist on the remote?

Another annoyance is the "Fullscreen" button. In XBMC a "\" from the keyboard toggles the app to fullscreen and hides everything so you can watch a movie. In the case the Fullscreen button simply changes the display in the 'windowed' XBMC without expanding it to full screen. If I select "Keyboard" in the upper left of the virtual remote and type "\" nothing happens.

I got frustrated with XBMC and tried remote control of VLC and PLEX - same story. I get the same file browser function on the right that is mostly inert. I've also tried different XBMC skins to no avail.

Since I have a large music and video archive that I use a lot Roomie is turning out to be a disappointment.

Anyone found a great way to control a large PC-based music/video archive using Roomie? I'd love to see images of some better solutions than I've been able to come up with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0015.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	478058  
post #1601 of 1609 Old 01-15-2015, 03:22 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by traderyodoa View Post
Does anyone have experience running XBMC through Roomie? I'm running XBMC Gotham and I've been able to get Roomie to control the app. with the virtual remote, but I'm confused about a bunch of things and Roomie's forum is devoid of additional data. The attached picture is my XBMC virtual remote - with a few minor tweaks this is basically the default virtual remote Roomie provides. You can modify the buttons and such with the exception of the black area that displays title, album and program data. This element doesn't appear for modification when you try to edit the remote. When I first started using the XBMC virtual remote album art was displayed in this box then it stopped for some reason and never came back. But the bigger mystery is the media browser that pops up on the right. Although all my music and video files are tagged with art all that Roomie displays is this simple listing. If you select a title from the list a command is issued to add the title to the playlist, but it won't play the song you select. I can't see how to modify the behavior of the right side media listing either through Roomie or XBMC.

Another thing I don't understand is how you're supposed to control anything without the XBMC visible on a display device. I have a projector in my HT. I have two activities for XBMC - one to play music, one to play movies/videos. If I'm listening to music there's no need to fire up the projector, but since I can't see a representation of the XBMC interface on the virtual remote I have no idea how to control the app. For example, in the attached picture the song playing is not reflected in the file listing on the right. I can advance to the next song using the buttons on the virtual remote, but there is no visual feedback that shows XBMC executing the commands. If I want to select another folder/album I cannot see the changes. Since the file listing on the right provides little functionality the remote is pretty useless. Of course, if I select "XBMC Movie" as the activity I can see the XBMC app running on my projector screen and the commands issued by the virtual remote control it pretty well (but not perfectly). Is there any way to modify the media list on the right to display a full or partial XBMC interface? How do you display album/movie art? How can you make the file browser feature activate the selection instead of just adding the selection to the playlist? How do you actually see the playlist on the remote?

Another annoyance is the "Fullscreen" button. In XBMC a "\" from the keyboard toggles the app to fullscreen and hides everything so you can watch a movie. In the case the Fullscreen button simply changes the display in the 'windowed' XBMC without expanding it to full screen. If I select "Keyboard" in the upper left of the virtual remote and type "\" nothing happens.

I got frustrated with XBMC and tried remote control of VLC and PLEX - same story. I get the same file browser function on the right that is mostly inert. I've also tried different XBMC skins to no avail.

Since I have a large music and video archive that I use a lot Roomie is turning out to be a disappointment.

Anyone found a great way to control a large PC-based music/video archive using Roomie? I'd love to see images of some better solutions than I've been able to come up with.
I don't have the roomie subscription service so I do not have the"guide". I have been using roomie with xbmc for a couple of years and this works very well. A few thoughts. I realize that you want to use roomie without a video screen. If you just hit the music button on the remote do you get a list of songs/albums on your ios device to choose from? Have you taken a look at the xbmc remote app which may do what you want.
Consider adding a 24" computer monitor, especially if your receiver has a second output to see xbmc. I have a mirrored display from my htpc.
At one point I added a media center remote which worked out of the box. I am not sure what software went with this, but I think it is free. You could program roomie to send commands to the pc with this. I also did this with my wife's dell all in one to adjust the volume from roomie if the kids had abc mouse too loud.

Epson 5010 with 110" Accuscreen. Yamaha rx-v773, HTPC with XBMC.
post #1602 of 1609 Old 01-15-2015, 04:41 PM

Thanks erichoya...

The guide is basically just a file browser - I can search through my media and click things, but instead of playing the movie or song it just issues a command saying the selection was added to the playlist. I haven't discovered how to change this behavior. I don't think "Media Service" is required... that additional purchase is for the Channel Guide and the cost of maintaining it - I don't mind the fee for this because it does require Roomie to keep up with Comcast, Verizon, etc.

I actually do have a 30" monitor running off my HTPC, but it's a big theater and if I'm sitting down it's out of sight buried in the electronic cabinet at the rear of the theater. Of course I could walk over and control XBMC from there, but that sort of defeats the purpose of having Roomie running on my iPhone and iPad while I'm on my backside sipping a brew.

I will explore some buttons on Roomie and try customizing commands to send to the PC. But it's hard for me to believe that Roomie laid out the XBMC and VLC virtual remotes this way... they did everything else pretty well - I keep thinking I'm missing something!
post #1603 of 1609 Old 01-15-2015, 05:40 PM

Well good luck. Give the windows mce remote/controller a try, to send the "/" command. I just leave xbmc running 24/7 in full screen (non-windowed I think). I do have iTunes running in the background to be able to stream movies to the ipad with home sharing. Not a fan of iTunes, but that is certainly an option for your music.

Epson 5010 with 110" Accuscreen. Yamaha rx-v773, HTPC with XBMC.
post #1604 of 1609 Old 01-22-2015, 08:28 AM

Thanks! Yep - I just leave XBMC running at full screen for now, but I'm still trying to understand how to make the media guide offered by Roomie useful. I suspect I'm just missing something fundamental. There are actually pictures of it running (see attached), but I'll be darned if I can make it work. I have tried MediaBrowser 3 which integrates very nicely with XBMC and has some pretty amazing features. I don't see MediaBrowser 3 integrated into Roomie yet, but I've heard it's coming... maybe that will offer media guide that works and I can jump over the XBMC interface.

While I think Roomie is a great product I'm not happy about the steep climb involved with doing more elegant things like controlling XBMC and sorting out how to make the media guide work. Instructions from Roomie would be nice; something a noob can follow without programming in json. I've tried the Roomie forum but it's not very active. There doesn't seem to be a lot of Roomie users on the XBMC/Kodi forum either.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screen1136x1136.jpeg
Views:	30
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	494418  
post #1605 of 1609 Unread 01-24-2015, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My roomie install just hit a speed bump and maybe someone here can help out. I need to program a new remote via IR into Roomie for my preamp because its not in the database (Mcintosh C50). It says that it learned the various IR commands from the Mcintosh remote but when I try to use them in Roomie, nothing happens. I have bumped up the retry to no avail. I know that the IR receiver is working because they do have some legacy Mcintosh preamps in their database that work. Unfortunately, I can't use the legacy entry because its missing capabilities and inputs that are on the newer preamp. Suggestions?
post #1606 of 1609 Unread 01-24-2015, 04:22 PM

erichoya...

I finally got XBMC working well and the Roomie Media Guide going its thing (see attached). I had to dump my XBMC and start clean. The fresh reload did the trick and the Roomie Media Guide works great.

I'm working with MCE Controller per your suggestion to solve the "fullscreen" issue. Thanks for the advice.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0016.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	500322  
post #1607 of 1609 Unread 01-24-2015, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter_29 View Post
My roomie install just hit a speed bump and maybe someone here can help out. I need to program a new remote via IR into Roomie for my preamp because its not in the database (Mcintosh C50). It says that it learned the various IR commands from the Mcintosh remote but when I try to use them in Roomie, nothing happens. I have bumped up the retry to no avail. I know that the IR receiver is working because they do have some legacy Mcintosh preamps in their database that work. Unfortunately, I can't use the legacy entry because its missing capabilities and inputs that are on the newer preamp. Suggestions?
Figured it out..l it seems that if you hold the button down too long when learning that it makes either roomie or the blaster unhappy.

Does anyone know how to switch roomie to another iPad? I decided to use my full size iPad instead of my mini but it wants me to buy another 10 pack.
post #1608 of 1609 Unread Yesterday, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter_29 View Post
Figured it out..l it seems that if you hold the button down too long when learning that it makes either roomie or the blaster unhappy.

Does anyone know how to switch roomie to another iPad? I decided to use my full size iPad instead of my mini but it wants me to buy another 10 pack.
As long as the two mobile devices are tied to the same iTunes account, you should be able to download the app to the second device for free. Then you should just need to sync your Roomie setup to the new device. I have Roomie setup on both my iPad and iPhone. I set it up on my phone first and then copied the settings over to the iPad.
post #1609 of 1609 Unread Today, 08:27 AM

Go into settings - Roomie Store and restore purchases. That should transfer everything.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Yamaha Rx V2065 Receiver , Tivo , Pioneer Vsx 1021 K 7 1 Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V2065 by PriceGrabber.com