Roomie Remote - Page 56 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1651 of 1671 Old 04-26-2015, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxtheater View Post
Raj if the issue is your TV powering down then try using the discreet power on and power off commands as opposed to power toggle. Most TVs have a separate command for situations just like yours.

In my very complex multi room setup I manage all my TVs with discrete power on then only have the TV power off with the final system power down. Never use TV toggle as it can mess up things.

This is how I understood your question but I'm not sure if this is exactly what you were asking about.
Hello

Thanks for your response. I did try the discreet on/off, but still have issues. I went in to TV and selected power for all activities. This solved the problem. My only worry is in my media room, this will not work. My projector cannot be on for activities like playing music. I will try again with discreet commands.

Using discreet commands, do you mention power off under Stop Commands for each activity?

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 1671 Old 04-27-2015, 05:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Hi Raj,

My suggested best practice from experience is to enter in discreet power off commands for each device in the "System Off" button. Therefore, by pressing that button, you know for a fact all your devices will be off and in an off state. The only exception here is don't use any devices that have only power toggle.

If I understand you correctly, yes I do indeed have the discreet power off for devices in the "Stop" commands. You simply enter in the discreet power off for any device you want to turn off when you switch activities. That's the best practice way of doing this.

For example, if I have an activity that is "watch Blu-ray" and this is your projector setup, then I'd use discreet power on for the projector and Blu-ray. I'd then have discreet power off for those devices in the "stop". I would not, however, have discreet power off for the receiver, etc. The assumption here is that if you are switching from one activity to another you want those devices turned on.

post #1653 of 1671 Old 04-27-2015, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Roomie Blaster Adapters

I've got Roomie running on an iPad, controlling all of my IP compatible equipment, works perfectly. I only have two components that are not IP compatible, namely a Samsung LCD TV and a Sony projector. Both of them are in the same room, but are probably 15-20 feet apart. I'm looking at the Roomie blaster adapter, wondering what the IR "spread" is for the included blaster. To use a single blaster, it would need to control the two devices, roughly 20 feet away and about 90 degrees apart from each other. If that doesn't work, is it possible to connect two blasters to the same adapter so that I could angle them directly to the two devices?
post #1654 of 1671 Old 04-27-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlambermont View Post
I've got Roomie running on an iPad, controlling all of my IP compatible equipment, works perfectly. I only have two components that are not IP compatible, namely a Samsung LCD TV and a Sony projector. Both of them are in the same room, but are probably 15-20 feet apart. I'm looking at the Roomie blaster adapter, wondering what the IR "spread" is for the included blaster. To use a single blaster, it would need to control the two devices, roughly 20 feet away and about 90 degrees apart from each other. If that doesn't work, is it possible to connect two blasters to the same adapter so that I could angle them directly to the two devices?
More or less to scale diagram attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IR Layout.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	688961  
post #1655 of 1671 Old 04-27-2015, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I think the blaster will only work on port 3. Is running emitter wiring to both devices out of the question?
Not sure what you need controlled on TV but if its only power - will HDMI/CEC work?
If you put the blaster near the TV and used a wired emitter to the TV and bounced the blaster off the screen to get to the projector you might have a chance.
post #1656 of 1671 Old 04-27-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgmobile View Post
I think the blaster will only work on port 3. Is running emitter wiring to both devices out of the question?
Not sure what you need controlled on TV but if its only power - will HDMI/CEC work?
If you put the blaster near the TV and used a wired emitter to the TV and bounced the blaster off the screen to get to the projector you might have a chance.
No way I could run emitter wiring, the TV and projector are almost 20 feet apart and separated by a partial wall. TV doesn't support CEC. Projector is supposed to handle Power ON, but not Power Off/Standby.

I think I'll try one roomie blaster, and if it doesn't work on both, I'll think about getting a second one.
post #1657 of 1671 Old 04-27-2015, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Only port 3 can run a blaster. You will need two IP transmitters if you want two boasters.
post #1658 of 1671 Old 04-27-2015, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

And as an addendum you need to log in and explicitly configure port 3 to function as a blaster. It's not set that way by default.
post #1659 of 1671 Old 04-27-2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxtheater View Post
Only port 3 can run a blaster. You will need two IP transmitters if you want two boasters.
I guess that's what I meant - if it doesn't work, buy a second transmitter. With two, I could mount one directly to the projector and the second in the cabinet behind the TV. Of course, I'd be spending close to $250 just to power those two devices on and off. I'll mull that over if plan A fails. Thanks for the info!
post #1660 of 1671 Old 04-27-2015, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 418
On a scale of 1-10 what do you guys think of the Roomie's capabilities in terms of browsing Apple itunes libraries or Sonos libraries. How responsive it? How quick is the search functionality? How often do you feel you have to pull out your laptop or other remote due to the roomie not being "enough".

Control4's music browsing capability blows... overpriced piece of junk in this regard. Some brands such as Meridian's Sooloos is ok but overpriced and still can't handle multi-genre and multi-artist tagging as far as I know.

I would take a blowtorch to all the media players and fix them once and for all if someone would program what I needed.

Blazar!
post #1661 of 1671 Old 04-27-2015, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post
On a scale of 1-10 what do you guys think of the Roomie's capabilities in terms of browsing Apple itunes libraries or Sonos libraries. How responsive it? How quick is the search functionality? How often do you feel you have to pull out your laptop or other remote due to the roomie not being "enough".

Control4's music browsing capability blows... overpriced piece of junk in this regard. Some brands such as Meridian's Sooloos is ok but overpriced and still can't handle multi-genre and multi-artist tagging as far as I know.

I would take a blowtorch to all the media players and fix them once and for all if someone would program what I needed.
I don't care for the Roomie interface for browsing content - I just switch to the Apple Remote app which is great. I'll also use the Sonos app instead.

Listening: Constantinople from "Modern Cool" by Patricia Barber (Rating 8/10) • Watching: "Captain America: The First Avenger" (Blu Ray ISO) (Rating 9/10)
Thrang's Theater: Sony VPLVW-1100 - Bowers & Willkins 800/802/803/HTM2D D2 Diamond - JL Audio Fathom 113 - Lumagen 2143 - McIntosh MX-151 - Parasound Halo JC1/A51 - Oppo 103 - Dune Smart B1/Synology 20TB NAS - DirecTV Genie - TiVo Roamio - Apple TV - PS4 • Audio: Sennheiser HD800 - Oppo HA1 - Kef LS50 - iTunes/Pure Music - iMac 5k
post #1662 of 1671 Old 04-27-2015, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
I don't care for the Roomie interface for browsing content - I just switch to the Apple Remote app which is great. I'll also use the Sonos app instead.
This seems to be the failure of just about every home control solution I have ever seen. Nothing seems to beat simply browsing your media library via itunes or jrivers on a laptop.

Blazar!
post #1663 of 1671 Old 04-28-2015, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
This seems to be the failure of just about every home control solution I have ever seen. Nothing seems to beat simply browsing your media library via itunes or jrivers on a laptop.
Well, this is partly understandable, as the control software interface is designed to do a lot of different things, so there is often limited screen real estate. They could likely code separate full screen windows for content, but its really so easy to switch to the native apps, I doubt it is high priority.

I'm hoping with Home Kit, there will be a way to integrate disparate app elements into a custom screen (so within the Remote App from Apple, volume and surround control would be "passed" to Roomie for control of your system volume.

Listening: Constantinople from "Modern Cool" by Patricia Barber (Rating 8/10) • Watching: "Captain America: The First Avenger" (Blu Ray ISO) (Rating 9/10)
Thrang's Theater: Sony VPLVW-1100 - Bowers & Willkins 800/802/803/HTM2D D2 Diamond - JL Audio Fathom 113 - Lumagen 2143 - McIntosh MX-151 - Parasound Halo JC1/A51 - Oppo 103 - Dune Smart B1/Synology 20TB NAS - DirecTV Genie - TiVo Roamio - Apple TV - PS4 • Audio: Sennheiser HD800 - Oppo HA1 - Kef LS50 - iTunes/Pure Music - iMac 5k
post #1664 of 1671 Old 04-28-2015, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
Quote:
Well, this is partly understandable, as the control software interface is designed to do a lot of different things, so there is often limited screen real estate. They could likely code separate full screen windows for content, but its really so easy to switch to the native apps, I doubt it is high priority.

I'm hoping with Home Kit, there will be a way to integrate disparate app elements into a custom screen (so within the Remote App from Apple, volume and surround control would be "passed" to Roomie for control of your system volume.
Yes and you would think "extensions" on ios could already allow interfaces from different apps to come into other apps.
post #1665 of 1671 Old 04-28-2015, 08:52 AM

Plex Media Guide

I had a lot of trouble getting the Plex media guide to display. Eventually figured out that (as far as I can tell) Roomie and Plex home are not compatible. With Plex Home enabled, a login to plex.tv is required in order to do anything. I disabled Plex Home, and now the media guide displays and works great. But, I lost Plex Home and my managed users.

Anyone else bump into this? If there is a way to attach a login to the PMS device, I'm not seeing it.
post #1666 of 1671 Old 05-02-2015, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I'm running Kodi 14.2 on a Windows box (8.1). I've been able to add the TV guide to roomie, however, I'm completely confused as to how make the channel changes actually happen. When I tap the channel number in the guide, I see CHANNEL SET 713, for example. But the channel does not change. Is there some sort of custom .CHANNEL SET action that needs to be added? Note that the Kodi integration works as I can navigate and interact with Kodi, e.g. play a tv show, just can't get live tv to work
post #1667 of 1671 Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I do not use kodi for live tv. I suggest you send in a request to roomie support thru settings in the app. I do not see a way to manually enter channel numbers so it appears that the channel set action is the only way to change channels.
post #1668 of 1671 Old Today, 02:49 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I had contacted support but they said they don't support it but users seem to be using it. So, am hoping to find users somewhere who might share how they configured it.
post #1669 of 1671 Old Today, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I had a lot of trouble getting the Plex media guide to display. Eventually figured out that (as far as I can tell) Roomie and Plex home are not compatible. With Plex Home enabled, a login to plex.tv is required in order to do anything. I disabled Plex Home, and now the media guide displays and works great. But, I lost Plex Home and my managed users.

Anyone else bump into this? If there is a way to attach a login to the PMS device, I'm not seeing it.
Please contact them about this, issues/problems should always be taken up with them. I am a plex user and beyond plex whenever i log an issue they always say "it must be something on your end because nobody else has complained about it."

I am planning on switching to plex home in the near future, so please contact them regarding your issue. Likely I will be contacting them to if it does not work for me and if people dont log issues they pay less attention and I would rather not get the typical "nobody else has reported this except you." I had to battle to get several plex issues fixed with them because other plex users simply didnt want to take the time to log issues with roomie support.
post #1670 of 1671 Old Today, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post
Please contact them about this, issues/problems should always be taken up with them. I am a plex user and beyond plex whenever i log an issue they always say "it must be something on your end because nobody else has complained about it."

I am planning on switching to plex home in the near future, so please contact them regarding your issue. Likely I will be contacting them to if it does not work for me and if people dont log issues they pay less attention and I would rather not get the typical "nobody else has reported this except you." I had to battle to get several plex issues fixed with them because other plex users simply didnt want to take the time to log issues with roomie support.
I contacted them. Their response:

"For the Plex this is something that would like to support, however at this time we do not support the use of the Family users. Please keep an eye for future releases that may allow control with the Family users."

I keep running into Catch-22's with the various Plex clients. I setup Plex Home to allow managed users (I have a 6-year old with access to a "Kids" library). That worked great with the Roku preview app, but not with his iPad, which doesn't support Plex home yet. So, I got him his own Plex ID and shared the Kids library with him. Now the iPad is OK, but the Roku app no longer works because he doesn't have a paid Plex Pass. Until I had the Roomie problem, I was maintaining my son as a managed user AND as a shared user, but that's no longer possible without breaking Roomie. I guess I could just forget about using the Plex media guide until it all gets sorted out.
post #1671 of 1671 Old Today, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I contacted them. Their response:

"For the Plex this is something that would like to support, however at this time we do not support the use of the Family users. Please keep an eye for future releases that may allow control with the Family users."

I keep running into Catch-22's with the various Plex clients. I setup Plex Home to allow managed users (I have a 6-year old with access to a "Kids" library). That worked great with the Roku preview app, but not with his iPad, which doesn't support Plex home yet. So, I got him his own Plex ID and shared the Kids library with him. Now the iPad is OK, but the Roku app no longer works because he doesn't have a paid Plex Pass. Until I had the Roomie problem, I was maintaining my son as a managed user AND as a shared user, but that's no longer possible without breaking Roomie. I guess I could just forget about using the Plex media guide until it all gets sorted out.
Great work contacting them. From what they told me this summer they are going to redo plex as it requires a longer look, hopefully over summer when they do the makeover they add this as well.

If you wish to create a request on roomies forum, it does help and several things get added based on that forum, myself and several others will support it and they usually fix/add features if enough people care. Its up to you though if you want to. I have several posts on that forum and things that got added. But i would like more users to interact with them especially with regards to bugs and features. Simply because if they dont think it effects many people or many users are interested, your in a loosing battle alone trying to convince them differently.

For people reading this thread with regards to roomie you need to be proactive telling them about bugs and/or features, either over email or on the forum. They will not magically fix bugs unless we report them, they seem to expect users to test it and then do nothing until a few users report issues... otherwise they will blame the user for incorrect setup and suggest your the only one with the problem because nobody else reported it.

And they will typically only add special features if you make a post on the forum and it has enough support. Plex only received a guide last year because of this and many of us plex users went on the forum and plex forum to gather support for it. We put together an overwhelming outcry it was added quickly.

Last edited by Murilo; Today at 08:22 PM.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Yamaha Rx V2065 Receiver , Tivo , Pioneer Vsx 1021 K 7 1 Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V2065 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page