Roomie Remote - Page 58 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1711 of 1756 Old 06-22-2015, 09:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stef2 View Post
I understand that roomie used to allow this, since I was able to get that look in the past, but it doesn't seem possible anymore.
Yes, it did. Am sure that someone insisted that the rows be uniform in width, and this is the result of that request.
This is the beauty and curse of software. We as users, only have to setup our environment. Design ascetics are Roomie's domain. Be careful of what you ask for...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 1756 Old 06-23-2015, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 15
So I know posting this question here could be a loaded type of question...but here goes...

I take if those of you here chose Roomie over iRule and Harmony choices and a few others, I'm wondering what sold you on Roomie and why should I pick it?
I beta tested the Harmony Ultimate with Smart Hub and found it really nice and worked well with all the IR blasters etc...I liked using the iPad /iPhone as well, but also liked having a touch remote.

SO I guess besides the hardware remote, if I were to get over not having one of those, why would I pick Roomie over iRule and Harmony?
I do like the interface better than iRule, they need to update the entire interface from the look of the early iPhone 1 designs, that is one thing that is turning me off of iRule right now.
Complexity, ease of use, device compatibilities, etc how are these with Roomie vs. the competition?

How is Roomie regarded in the industry, is it the top of the line? Or brand new to the industry? How do average Joes vs Custom Installers think of it? etc...

Thanks!
post #1713 of 1756 Old 06-23-2015, 08:08 PM

After comparing the two sites (Roomie vs iRule), Roomie seems pretty clear cut ahead for me, well based on basic features and then looks anyway, those things are important to me.
post #1714 of 1756 Old 06-23-2015, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I saw an earlier post where someone seemed to be able to launch an app from a Roku. Is there a similar capability to launch an app on the Apple TV? For instance, we watch Netflix via the AppleTV. However, the default mode for the AppleTV is to go to their home screen and then I have to use the cursor/select to launch the app. Is there a way to launch the Netflix app directly?
Tks ...Ian

Ian

My finished "Media Room"
post #1715 of 1756 Old 06-24-2015, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMc73 View Post
After comparing the two sites (Roomie vs iRule), Roomie seems pretty clear cut ahead for me, well based on basic features and then looks anyway, those things are important to me.
For what it's worth, I purchased $400 of hardware and wasn't able to successfully get roomie to work. I could get some simple devices to work, but I even had trouble with my Sony projector (Sony VPL-HW55ES) to accept commands, and to integrate Lutron Caseta lighting (which is a great system) is extremely complex (my brother is a programmer and couldn't decipher the integration). Also, no one on this site could offer up solutions. So... to use the macro's and such are useless.

Additionally, ROOMIE CUSTOMER SERVICE IS HORRIBLE. There is no one to talk on the phone, and if you email their tech support, they will give you a cursory answer that hopefully solves 1/10 of the problem.

In my opinion, ROOMIE IS NOT READY FOR PRIME TIME. I even emailed the president with little luck. I read Sanus purchased a stake in Roomie, but it seems years until it will work for people who have more than 3 or 4 devices.
post #1716 of 1756 Old 06-24-2015, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmoore2 View Post
For what it's worth, I purchased $400 of hardware and wasn't able to successfully get roomie to work. I could get some simple devices to work, but I even had trouble with my Sony projector (Sony VPL-HW55ES) to accept commands, and to integrate Lutron Caseta lighting (which is a great system) is extremely complex (my brother is a programmer and couldn't decipher the integration). Also, no one on this site could offer up solutions. So... to use the macro's and such are useless.

Additionally, ROOMIE CUSTOMER SERVICE IS HORRIBLE. There is no one to talk on the phone, and if you email their tech support, they will give you a cursory answer that hopefully solves 1/10 of the problem.

In my opinion, ROOMIE IS NOT READY FOR PRIME TIME. I even emailed the president with little luck. I read Sanus purchased a stake in Roomie, but it seems years until it will work for people who have more than 3 or 4 devices.
Roomie Support is quite poor, and their documentation is not great

However, to say macro's are useless is just plain silly. I have three rooms set up with numbers devices, many with multi-step startup sequences and buttons that do more than one thing. It's not like cutting warm butter, but its very doable.

The investment by the former Sanus CEO might be the death knell for Roomie as a DIY tool, as they seem to be focusing on CI more...

http://www.cepro.com/article/sanus_f...roomie_remote/
post #1717 of 1756 Old 06-24-2015, 05:31 PM

Wow, ok, well maybe thats more than I want to deal with right now. The Harmony, when I beta tested it, seemed to work great except I had to keep my tinted glass doors open for the IR blasters to work. Was looking forward to maybe using roomie with ethernet IR stuff with hopes it would work better. But maybe I just need to purchase a Harmony?
post #1718 of 1756 Old 06-24-2015, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Roomie Support

I have perhaps been lucky, I always get prompt help and support from Roomie. In one case they even went well above and beyond. As an early adopter I had to learn Roomie without the aid of documentation. With all of the features that have been added It was fair comment to say that documentation was long overdue.

There is now fairly extensive documentation available.
http://www.roomieremote.com/wp-conte...-UserGuide.pdf
post #1719 of 1756 Old 06-24-2015, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Lightbulb Anyone know how to program rs232 codes?

I've got most of my HT working flawlessly with roomie but my McIntosh 121 receiver is not working properly on IR. I'd like to use rs232

I have the codes in a pdf from McIntosh.

Does anyone here know how to use the DDK to make rs232 codes for the 121 work in roomie?

I'm happy to pay for someone to assist me on this. If you're interested please PM me.

Thanks
Parker
post #1720 of 1756 Old 06-25-2015, 03:40 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmoore2 View Post

I had a similar experience, although I lost patience and didn't work as hard to resolve it. I bought the wifi blaster and the extended devices licence, plus I hunted down a Lutron SmartBridge Pro and dimmers (not easy to find In Canada) so I could control the lighting. I was able to control my receiver and Oppo, but was never able to get the lighting to work at all. My Epson 6030 would work on setup, but then never work again. Very frustrating.
post #1721 of 1756 Old 06-25-2015, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH55 View Post
I had a similar experience, although I lost patience and didn't work as hard to resolve it. I bought the wifi blaster and the extended devices licence, plus I hunted down a Lutron SmartBridge Pro and dimmers (not easy to find In Canada) so I could control the lighting. I was able to control my receiver and Oppo, but was never able to get the lighting to work at all. My Epson 6030 would work on setup, but then never work again. Very frustrating.
So, no apologies for the folks at Roomie, I've been moderated on the forums and without asking crisp questions of the team, you get a weak response. However, I've had them be responsive via email and that interaction prompted me to create some new screens/menus.

However, as a user, the user experience and documentation need serious work. "Experience" drives so much these days, and without their "chip in" and my early success, I'd likely have dropped it.

If Roomie were to -

- create a user forum that supports best practices / sharing of ideas, they'd be further ahead. Let the users share their creativity and benefit from others experience. Seriously, this is 2015, and if they don't create the forum, it'll spring up somewhere else.... I'll likely be redundant with this point.

- improve documentation, it'd help us all, but I think organic learning from above would be the be the leading item to drive documentation.

- get some thicker skin, it'd benefit I'm a fan despite what I read because it works for me. But for them to moderate the discussions there, at Roomie, only prompts other discussions with flames and those flames they cannot control. Sheesh, put it on your site, address it, and say "thank you, we screwed up" or "we're looking at it". That'd drive a lot more brand loyalty as you'd present the illusion of listening versus being tone deaf and foster organic growth.

Cheers all
post #1722 of 1756 Old 06-28-2015, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Wow, ok, well maybe thats more than I want to deal with right now. The Harmony, when I beta tested it, seemed to work great except I had to keep my tinted glass doors open for the IR blasters to work. Was looking forward to maybe using roomie with ethernet IR stuff with hopes it would work better. But maybe I just need to purchase a Harmony?
Well , I would say that documentation could be better and comprehensive, but if you are even a bit techie then you should not have much trouble with setting it up.
I run 12 devices in my HT setup with combination of IR blaster, IP and IPtoserial with help of iTach , so spent 280$ on Roomie licenses and hardware in total ( compared to 1200$ that my custom installer wanted to charge me for his system that I would need to call him every time system needed adjustment etc). Out of 12 devices only one that gives me grief is Oppo 103 with power on function, all else is working well including macro commands with dimming etc while pressing pause start button for DVD etc.
Spent 5-6 hours setting everything up and tweaking.
ChrisMc73 likes this.

Change is the only constant.

My HT: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...l#post32691273
post #1723 of 1756 Old 06-28-2015, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgmobile View Post
I have perhaps been lucky, I always get prompt help and support from Roomie. In one case they even went well above and beyond. As an early adopter I had to learn Roomie without the aid of documentation. With all of the features that have been added It was fair comment to say that documentation was long overdue.

There is now fairly extensive documentation available.
http://www.roomieremote.com/wp-conte...-UserGuide.pdf

Quick update: following some instructional tutoring via FaceTime from an exceptionally helpful member of this forum, I was able to configure my smart bridge pro and can now control the dimmers in my Theater. The setup wasn't the most straightforward out there, but it's now working. Onward to solving my projector control!
post #1724 of 1756 Old 06-29-2015, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
SO I guess besides the hardware remote, if I were to get over not having one of those, why would I pick Roomie over iRule and Harmony?
I do like the interface better than iRule, they need to update the entire interface from the look of the early iPhone 1 designs, that is one thing that is turning me off of iRule right now.
Complexity, ease of use, device compatibilities, etc how are these with Roomie vs. the competition?

How is Roomie regarded in the industry, is it the top of the line? Or brand new to the industry? How do average Joes vs Custom Installers think of it? etc...

Thanks!
I chose Roomie for these reasons:

- IP control of Dish Hopper and Joey receivers. This integration is one of the best I have seen in the CI business period. It evens allows you to view and play your recorded shows from the interface.
- IP control of Sonos. Again, a great interface.
- IP control of Russound C-Series multi-room receiver. I initially created a driver for this using the Roomie DDK and then was a beta tester for getting volume feedback to work. It works great.
- IP control of Apple TV
- IP control of Denon receivers.
- Serial control of Samsung TV's using global cache devices.
- DIY
- Don't have to create a custom interface. It looks good out of the box.

I have attached screenshots of my interface. I know people get frustrated with their forums but I have got pretty good support by emailing them. Like I mentioned above, they even added volume feedback for Russound C-Series for me as I was willing to be a beta tester.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ss2.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	801994   Click image for larger version

Name:	ss1.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	802002   Click image for larger version

Name:	ss3.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	802010  
post #1725 of 1756 Old 06-29-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therockhr View Post
I chose Roomie for these reasons:

- IP control of Dish Hopper and Joey receivers. This integration is one of the best I have seen in the CI business period. It evens allows you to view and play your recorded shows from the interface.
- IP control of Sonos. Again, a great interface.
- IP control of Russound C-Series multi-room receiver. I initially created a driver for this using the Roomie DDK and then was a beta tester for getting volume feedback to work. It works great.
- IP control of Apple TV
- IP control of Denon receivers.
- Serial control of Samsung TV's using global cache devices.
- DIY
- Don't have to create a custom interface. It looks good out of the box.

I have attached screenshots of my interface. I know people get frustrated with their forums but I have got pretty good support by emailing them. Like I mentioned above, they even added volume feedback for Russound C-Series for me as I was willing to be a beta tester.
Oh ok, so please let me pick your brain some more on this.
So all the IP control means if that device is on your network, you don't need an IR blaster or RF to control it? It just needs to be on your home network with an IP?
Could you do the same with the Samsung TV? I don't have or know what the serial control is? I have a Samsung TV thats on the network, that I'd want controlled.
So what is your Russound C-Series doing, is that your whole home audio? You have Sonos going through that?
post #1726 of 1756 Old 06-29-2015, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 86
^^
Yes. IP control is something many if not most manufacturers have been building into their products over the past several years. As nice as it might seem in practice it is still only OK. Both IR and serial (the connection looks like a VGA cable) are far more expansive with their command set and the reliability is great.

IP control usually has a limitation with either an immature command set or something like not being able to power on the unit via IP. it's great for the hobbyist willing to deal with quirks but not a bullet proof solution for the critical installation.

As long as you don't need expanded command sets, IP commands are a great way to save $$ on hardware as long as you are willing to deal with any quirks. Final advice is to always always always put your devices with a static IP
post #1727 of 1756 Old 06-29-2015, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbenda View Post
I've got most of my HT working flawlessly with roomie but my McIntosh 121 receiver is not working properly on IR. I'd like to use rs232

I have the codes in a pdf from McIntosh.

Does anyone here know how to use the DDK to make rs232 codes for the 121 work in roomie?

I'm happy to pay for someone to assist me on this. If you're interested please PM me.

Thanks
Parker
I used the DDK sample to create over 100 serial commands for my Krell 7.1 and a great remote for it. It took a little experimenting but once I got it I went nuts and now control every function with Roomie. Macros are great too, I can press 1 button and change volume and trim all speakers depending on our location and type of music.
post #1728 of 1756 Old 06-29-2015, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I use IP control for directv DVRs, Sony blue ray, and Apple TV from Roomie and it works 100 percent for all functions.
post #1729 of 1756 Old 06-30-2015, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxtheater View Post
^^
Yes. IP control is something many if not most manufacturers have been building into their products over the past several years. As nice as it might seem in practice it is still only OK. Both IR and serial (the connection looks like a VGA cable) are far more expansive with their command set and the reliability is great.

IP control usually has a limitation with either an immature command set or something like not being able to power on the unit via IP. it's great for the hobbyist willing to deal with quirks but not a bullet proof solution for the critical installation.

As long as you don't need expanded command sets, IP commands are a great way to save $$ on hardware as long as you are willing to deal with any quirks. Final advice is to always always always put your devices with a static IP
IP control is just as reliable as serial. Most industrial automation vendors moved over to IP control years ago.
post #1730 of 1756 Old 06-30-2015, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Oh ok, so please let me pick your brain some more on this.
So all the IP control means if that device is on your network, you don't need an IR blaster or RF to control it? It just needs to be on your home network with an IP?
Could you do the same with the Samsung TV? I don't have or know what the serial control is? I have a Samsung TV thats on the network, that I'd want controlled.
So what is your Russound C-Series doing, is that your whole home audio? You have Sonos going through that?
Yes, the IP control means that I do not need an IR blaster or RF to control it. The commands are sent using TCP/IP.

The Samsung TV is a problem. IP control is somewhat possible with it but for some reason Samsung does not keep power on the port when the TV set is turned off. So there is no way to power on the TV with TCP/IP. So for this case, it is better to use the ex-link port on the Samsung TV and do serial control using a global cache adapter.

The Russound MCA-C5 is doing whole home audio. I have a Sonos connect that is a source for the system along with Dish network hopper. We only need 1 Sonos because it is just my wife and I and we are fine with listening to the same thing throughout the house.

I have attached a diagram of the AV layout.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	avsetup.png
Views:	79
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	804194  
post #1731 of 1756 Old 06-30-2015, 03:57 PM

Nice! Thanks for that diagram, that visual gives me an idea, very cool.
Could I get an RF or IR blaster to control the TV with Roomie and IP for the rest?
post #1732 of 1756 Old 06-30-2015, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
You absolutely can use ir to control the power function on the TV. You can also add any ip controlled device a second time as being IR controlled at the same time. That way you can still execute all of the commands that appear to be unique to the ir code sets with no ip comparable command. Just do all the basic controls with the normal ip device remote and then create and map additional special buttons on that remote to the second ir based version of the device. Best of both worlds!
post #1733 of 1756 Old 07-07-2015, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi,Is anyone using Roomie Agent and SmartThings to control Activity's? Run in to some problems, UDP 1900 on my mini mac and Pairing (maybe the same thing)? .....
post #1734 of 1756 Old 07-10-2015, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hello All

I am suddenly having issues with controlling my lutron cassette wireless dimmers using roomie remote. Previously the remote worked fine and was able to get integration report and add to roomie.

Now when in Lutron App, unable to get integration report. I have been traveling for a month and now unable to achieve this simple thing. Did anyone else have this problem.

Sincerely

Rajesh
post #1735 of 1756 Old 07-27-2015, 02:22 PM

Hello Roomies!! So I finally got my Roomie Ethernet Blaster with the dual emitters and one blaster.
I got all my devices working except my Xbox One, not sure whats going on there, it just won't react to anything I do, any suggestions or tricks for anyone who's dealt with an Xbox one I'm open to suggestions.

Also, curious how do you all handle the commands when you are switching from say Watch TV with a STB to say going to AppleTV or Xbox One, or a BluRay, if I use the TV and AVR in all scenarios, do I just power off the device I'm leaving and power on the new one and switch inputs on the AVR?

Thanks!
post #1736 of 1756 Old 07-27-2015, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked: 527
Quote:
Hello Roomies!! So I finally got my Roomie Ethernet Blaster with the dual emitters and one blaster.
I got all my devices working except my Xbox One, not sure whats going on there, it just won't react to anything I do, any suggestions or tricks for anyone who's dealt with an Xbox one I'm open to suggestions.

Also, curious how do you all handle the commands when you are switching from say Watch TV with a STB to say going to AppleTV or Xbox One, or a BluRay, if I use the TV and AVR in all scenarios, do I just power off the device I'm leaving and power on the new one and switch inputs on the AVR?

Thanks!

Have you posted in the Xbox One forum? They are pretty helpful there.
Make sure the Kinect isn't actually blocking Xbox IR receiver.

I think it has some odd-ball IR setup, like the Kinect is supposed to receive the IR and then send it behind it.

PSN: Cravit8
XBL: oOo_Crav_oOo
post #1737 of 1756 Old 07-27-2015, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:

Yes
post #1738 of 1756 Old 07-28-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravit8 View Post
Have you posted in the Xbox One forum? They are pretty helpful there.
Make sure the Kinect isn't actually blocking Xbox IR receiver.

I think it has some odd-ball IR setup, like the Kinect is supposed to receive the IR and then send it behind it.
Thanks I figured it out, I had to set the retransmit setting to 3 and also initiate a "Home Menu" command, and that turns it on!
I'm all good to go now.
post #1739 of 1756 Old 07-28-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idoug View Post
Yes
That worked! My setup is complete. Thanks.
post #1740 of 1756 Old 07-28-2015, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Thanks!
Roomie tracks the power status of each device. Hence I set up every activity as if it were to begin from a cold start. Say I'm watching TV using the cable box and I want to select my Apple TV device: just initiate the Apple TV request, and the selections for the cable box will be 'overwritten'. Note that the cable box will remain powered on, but that doesn't bother me. When I am done with the system, I select System Off into which I have programmed all the power off commands for every device. I usually have every control sequence 'confirmed' before execution. Roomie has made itself invaluable, and I know I'm not beginning to use all its features.

Bill

Bill Bunker
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Yamaha Rx V2065 Receiver , Tivo , Pioneer Vsx 1021 K 7 1 Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V2065 by PriceGrabber.com