Roomie Remote - Page 59 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1741 of 1756 Old 07-28-2015, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodbuster View Post
Roomie tracks the power status of each device. Hence I set up every activity as if it were to begin from a cold start. Say I'm watching TV using the cable box and I want to select my Apple TV device: just initiate the Apple TV request, and the selections for the cable box will be 'overwritten'. Note that the cable box will remain powered on, but that doesn't bother me. When I am done with the system, I select System Off into which I have programmed all the power off commands for every device. I usually have every control sequence 'confirmed' before execution. Roomie has made itself invaluable, and I know I'm not beginning to use all its features.

Bill
Thats how I'm starting to feel as I understand it more and more. So you leave all your components on as you use the system so when you switch from STB (TV) to AppleTV the STB stays up, thats not a bad idea, I guess I'm more anal and like having them or at least watching them go off, as I move away from one. So does the red power button automatically turn off all devices or can you edit it and program it to shut all off? The only one I couldn't get to turn off was the AppleTV, there is no command to send it to sleep or at least not one I'm aware of, know how I can do that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1742 of 1756 Old 07-28-2015, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When I looked at the commands issued by the System Off button, it looks like I programmed it to turn off every device one after the other. It's been a long time, and I don't remember what the default settings there looked like. I agree that what happens with the Apple TV is a mystery since there is no discrete on/off function. My assumption is that it wakes up when addressed and hibernates when ignored, but that's just a guess. It is the newest device in my system...been there for about a year. I also have a Roku player. These are the only items which are controlled directly via my wifi network...everything else needs an IR signal as provided by an iTach device. Most of my gear is much too old to have an IP address!

Bill Bunker
post #1743 of 1756 Old 07-29-2015, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodbuster View Post
When I looked at the commands issued by the System Off button, it looks like I programmed it to turn off every device one after the other. It's been a long time, and I don't remember what the default settings there looked like. I agree that what happens with the Apple TV is a mystery since there is no discrete on/off function. My assumption is that it wakes up when addressed and hibernates when ignored, but that's just a guess. It is the newest device in my system...been there for about a year. I also have a Roku player. These are the only items which are controlled directly via my wifi network...everything else needs an IR signal as provided by an iTach device. Most of my gear is much too old to have an IP address!
So you can program the System Off button, guess I just haven't clicked it and looked at what its doing. Good to know.

Last edited by ChrisMc73; 07-29-2015 at 08:05 AM.
post #1744 of 1756 Old 07-29-2015, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Sorry, my experience goes back years and Roomie has evolved in the meantime. I just don't know how you should add more emitters, but it is surely possible. The iTach wifi2ir gizmo I use also has three ports. Before I ever started with Roomie, I needed multiple IR emitters, so I bought a device that takes an IR input, amplifies it, then outputs multiple copies on multiple ports (xantech gizmo). I don't lack for emitters!

Bill Bunker
post #1745 of 1756 Old 08-21-2015, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Help with VPN

I have set up a VPN connection in accordance with the roomieremote FAQ. I have no issue logging in etc but I am having issues getting roomie to fully function via VPN.

I can execute commands that go thru itach units that are relayed thru ir ports. e.g.: turn on TV sets or control cable boxes.
I cannot control ( or even power up) ip controlled devices like receivers from Denon or Pioneer, nor can I control Lutron Caseta.
I have forwarded the default ports that are mentioned in the Roomie ip compatibility charts as well as the required Ivpn ports for pptp connection.

Any help greatly appreciated.

UPDATE:
I blew it when entering the starting ip address for the VPN clients. Once that was fixed everything worked as expected.

Last edited by hgmobile; 08-27-2015 at 12:41 PM.
post #1746 of 1756 Old 08-27-2015, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hello All

I have been using Roomie Remote for a while and extremely happy with its performance. I am trying to add more complexity and also utilize my Marantz AV8802 streaming feature.

I have an activity set up to play music from my WDCloud Storage Device, but unable to navigate files from inside Roomie Remote. I have to leave Roomie Remote App and go to Marantz Remote App and select media files to play. Is there any way to do this natively like for example able to do with Kaleidescape Alto.

Cheers

Raj
post #1747 of 1756 Old 08-27-2015, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by rramacha View Post
I have to leave Roomie Remote App and go to Marantz Remote App and select media files to play. Is there any way to do this natively like for example able to do with Kaleidescape Alto.
I'd imagine it would require the device expose a programming interface for doing that. Then it would require the controlling program (roomie, in this case) have specific support for that. I don't know that the Marantz gear supports doing this kind of thing. Obviously a device can, if their own app has the ability. But it would then depend on a 3rd party app putting forth the effort to do the same thing.
post #1748 of 1756 Old 08-27-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
I'd imagine it would require the device expose a programming interface for doing that. Then it would require the controlling program (roomie, in this case) have specific support for that. I don't know that the Marantz gear supports doing this kind of thing. Obviously a device can, if their own app has the ability. But it would then depend on a 3rd party app putting forth the effort to do the same thing.
Thank You. I want to see if Roomie supports this functionality or is there a place to ask them to explore supporting this.

Cheers

Raj
post #1749 of 1756 Old 08-28-2015, 01:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Thank You. I want to see if Roomie supports this functionality or is there a place to ask them to explore supporting this.

Cheers

Raj
You can give them a shout in the Roomie Feature Requests forum.

Can't post the direct link but is under SUPPORT -> GO TO USER FORUMS -> Feature Requests on the Roomie Homepage
post #1750 of 1756 Old 08-30-2015, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Please help with Oppo BD-103-105 and Roomie

I just got the Roomie Ethernet blaster and serial cable in the mail and I have been trying to get it to work with my Oppo BD-105 for the past 2 days with no success. Hopefully you guys can shed some light on this for me! I have contacted Roomie support and it hasn't been of much help.
I plugged in the serial cable to the Oppo and connected the Ethernet cable, power and serial to the blaster. Then setup the remote as the instructions say by choosing the blaster and Oppo RS232 protocols as follows:
Choose Flex Cable
Choose Serial
Baud 9600
Data bits 8
Parity none
Stop bit 1
Flow control none
False for straight through

When I save and test the remote I get nothing. Roomie said to send a RS232 Verbose 3 command first, which I tried and still no results. I'm extremely frustrated as to why this isn't working. I sent diagnostics and they said the blaster looked fine and it must be the settings in the Oppo or blaster. I even cycled the power on everything and checked the firmware of the blaster.....still nothing.
Roomie support says they have an Oppo there that is working with RS232 but after repeated attempts of me asking how exactly did they get it working, I have heard no response.

Please let me know if anyone has gotten this up and running and exactly how you did it.
Thanks in advance!
post #1751 of 1756 Old 08-30-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1205 View Post
I just got the Roomie Ethernet blaster and serial cable in the mail and I have been trying to get it to work with my Oppo BD-105 for the past 2 days with no success. Hopefully you guys can shed some light on this for me! I have contacted Roomie support and it hasn't been of much help.
I plugged in the serial cable to the Oppo and connected the Ethernet cable, power and serial to the blaster. Then setup the remote as the instructions say by choosing the blaster and Oppo RS232 protocols as follows:
Choose Flex Cable
Choose Serial
Baud 9600
Data bits 8
Parity none
Stop bit 1
Flow control none
False for straight through

When I save and test the remote I get nothing. Roomie said to send a RS232 Verbose 3 command first, which I tried and still no results. I'm extremely frustrated as to why this isn't working. I sent diagnostics and they said the blaster looked fine and it must be the settings in the Oppo or blaster. I even cycled the power on everything and checked the firmware of the blaster.....still nothing.
Roomie support says they have an Oppo there that is working with RS232 but after repeated attempts of me asking how exactly did they get it working, I have heard no response.

Please let me know if anyone has gotten this up and running and exactly how you did it.
Thanks in advance!
Sorry you are experiencing issues.

I am using the same setting. Mine is working perfectly. Can you please let me know if you were able to save changes and then try testing via remote test section?
post #1752 of 1756 Old 08-30-2015, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Sorry you are experiencing issues.

I am using the same setting. Mine is working perfectly. Can you please let me know if you were able to save changes and then try testing via remote test section?
rramacha

When I click "save" in the blaster settings it appears that it clicks so I take that to mean that it is saving. And yes I have tried countless times trying to test it via the remote test and nothing. Would you be willing to let me know step by step what you did to get yours working?

One thing that I did notice, I got a time out message for the IP address of the blaster. I did not notice how many times this has appeared these past 2 days that I have been trying to get this to work.

Again, thanks for the willingness to help and if you can send me your step by step that would be great!
post #1753 of 1756 Old 08-30-2015, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1205 View Post
rramacha

When I click "save" in the blaster settings it appears that it clicks so I take that to mean that it is saving. And yes I have tried countless times trying to test it via the remote test and nothing. Would you be willing to let me know step by step what you did to get yours working?

One thing that I did notice, I got a time out message for the IP address of the blaster. I did not notice how many times this has appeared these past 2 days that I have been trying to get this to work.

Again, thanks for the willingness to help and if you can send me your step by step that would be great!
I sent a PM. Not sure if it helps.

Cheers

Raj
post #1754 of 1756 Old 08-30-2015, 07:06 PM

Quote:

Cheers

Raj
Got and thanks! Well let you know if it works tomorrow!
post #1755 of 1756 Old 08-31-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:

Cheers

Raj
I with your info and tried again with no luck. I did screen shots (attached) of the blaster settings. Since Roomie support kept telling me to use the command Verbose 3 before testing any buttons, I did that as well with no luck. Have no idea what the Verbose 3 is for.

If your still game for deleting your Oppo and re-adding it to give me step by step what you did that would be great. I did hear back from Rommie support again today and this is what they said regarding my trouble and my comment that their support stinks:

"Thank you for that information. Please do let us know if you were able to resolve the issue. It is not likely to be that the Roomie Blaster is set for DHCP as that only has to do with how the adapter receive's it's IP address from the network. It can either request an IP address or be given one dynamically by the router. DHCP is set by default on the adapters.

Assuming your Roomie Blaster's IP address hasn't changed and can still be found at the IP address, which we assume to be the case being that you are able to login to it's configuration settings for the Serial cable, there does not seem to be an issue with the IP address of the adapter.

I do understand the step by step issue and back and forth via email can be frustrating. We are simply trying to follow a process of elimination by giving you each step, as each situation is unique, we do not want to give you steps that we know would not be necessary and can then tailor our response based on the information given.

Being that you were unable to control the Denon and the Oppo it sounds to me like the issue is that the Roomie Serial cable is faulty. Global Caché, will be able to verify this and provide you with a replacement cable if necessary.

Again, please feel free to follow the steps provided via the user in Forum and let us know if the issue does become resolved. If not then Global Caché will be able to assist you further."

Really at a loss here so any more ideas or help will great be appreciated

Jon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	settings 1.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	917418   Click image for larger version

Name:	settings 2.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	917426  
post #1756 of 1756 Old 08-31-2015, 02:33 PM

Jon

I will be home late today. Can try tomorrow and let you know.

Cheers

Raj
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Yamaha Rx V2065 Receiver , Tivo , Pioneer Vsx 1021 K 7 1 Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V2065 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page