Roomie Remote - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 1472 Old 01-07-2012, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Would someone be able to point me to the proper RS-232 cable to purchase, to go between a Global Cache IP2SL and a JVC DLA-RS2 projector? I've been all over Monoprice and am not entirely sure which cable fits the bill. A link sure would be appreciated. Would this cable, along with any necessary gender switchers since I need a female-to-female cable, do the trick? Link to Null Modem Cable.

For reference, here is what the RS2 manual says about its RS232 connection:

Control of this unit via a computer is possible by connecting the computer to this unit with a RS-232C cross cable (D-Sub 9-pin)

The IP2SL specs are equally unclear to me, in terms of understanding which cable to buy:

Male DB9 Connector
1200 baud to 115 Kbaud Data Rates Supported
Odd, Even, and None Parity Settings
Bi-directional hardware RTS/CTS Flow Control

I'd prefer to buy a pre-made cable, but if that's not possible, would someone be able to tell me the exact adapters from Monoprice that are necessary to build one?

With Roomie, what kind of feedback is possible from the RS-2?

For purposes of full disclosure, I also posed this question in the iRule thread.

Thanks,

Scott

Thanks,

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 1472 Old 01-09-2012, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aahndee View Post

I use "Open URL in Safari" with "remote://" as the URL and it works fine (apart from doing it too early, while roomie is still supposed to set up the devices).

yeah, I'm doing it that way as well at the moment but find it clunky as you need to go back into the app for volume control changes, etc. has anyone been able to get this to work "from within roomie" or is this a bug?

post #153 of 1472 Old 01-09-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony A. View Post

yeah, I'm doing it that way as well at the moment but find it clunky as you need to go back into the app for volume control changes, etc. has anyone been able to get this to work "from within roomie" or is this a bug?

Same here and we use Apple's Remote more than anything else so I am very keen to have it work in Roomie.

Best way to make it happen is direct your questions and requests to Roomie support so they know you're serious about them. They probably follow this thread but they dont participate and chatting on a forum about it is not the same as a direct request. And the more requests they get the more likely a solution will be forthcoming.
post #154 of 1472 Old 01-10-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgmobile View Post

They are usually pretty quick to respond to email. Did you try posting question to Facebook page for Roomie?

UGH, facebook for support, no thanks. then need a proper forum
post #155 of 1472 Old 01-10-2012, 09:21 PM

Liked: 11
prophetizer

You don't need to use facebook, it is just one of their support avenues.
Go to their website and then click on the "contact" tab. They usually get back to you pretty quick. I've had some replies in minutes before.

Their support is second to none. Just make sure you put the right email address in, check it just don't type it.
post #156 of 1472 Old 01-11-2012, 02:45 AM

I agree, their tech support is top notch ! They do sometimes respond within minutes.
post #157 of 1472 Old 01-11-2012, 03:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmanbt View Post

I agree, their tech support is top notch ! They do sometimes respond within minutes.

+++1

Rew
post #158 of 1472 Old 01-11-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucket23 View Post

prophetizer

You don't need to use facebook, it is just one of their support avenues.
Go to their website and then click on the "contact" tab. They usually get back to you pretty quick. I've had some replies in minutes before.

Their support is second to none. Just make sure you put the right email address in, check it just don't type it.

most of the time, yes, but i've sent 2 other requests that i never heard back from. and an official forum would be good for them to keep pinned posts and have community help, free them up to develop more
post #159 of 1472 Old 01-11-2012, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Need some help guys on what device I need to get. I have a projector mounted to the ceiling and an amp, roku, and bluray in the front of the room. Also, have Lurton ir light switch in the back of the room. Any help would be appreciated.
post #160 of 1472 Old 01-11-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordie View Post

Same here and we use Apple's Remote more than anything else so I am very keen to have it work in Roomie.

Best way to make it happen is direct your questions and requests to Roomie support so they know you're serious about them. They probably follow this thread but they dont participate and chatting on a forum about it is not the same as a direct request. And the more requests they get the more likely a solution will be forthcoming.

Why not take advantage of the apple TVs advanced built in feature to learn any 3rd party remote. While it would be great to use the stock Apple remote commands it is very simple to use any remote to control Apple TV.

More here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3296
post #161 of 1472 Old 01-11-2012, 10:24 PM

Anyone successfully running serial 9pin control over CAT5 or CAT6 ethernet cable?
post #162 of 1472 Old 01-11-2012, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 282
I've run 9-pin serial over cat5 for years in industrial applications (serial over ethernet actually, like BlackBox). Works great. Never tried it on my home theater. If your talking about simply using twisted pairs for RS232C, that's called RS232D and should work fine if you follow the standard.
post #163 of 1472 Old 01-11-2012, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizman! View Post

Anyone successfully running serial 9pin control over CAT5 or CAT6 ethernet cable?

Yes that's how I'm controlling my projector right now. Have the IP2SL unit located down here where it's convenient. Ran a CAT5 to the projector so all I need up there is the RJ45<->DB9 widget. Mine only needed 3 wires hooked up and it was easy as pie. Not sure why you'd use CAT6 unless you just have a spool of it handy.
post #164 of 1472 Old 01-11-2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuudogg View Post

Why not take advantage of the apple TVs advanced built in feature to learn any 3rd party remote. While it would be great to use the stock Apple remote commands it is very simple to use any remote to control Apple TV.

More here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3296

Actually I was talking about the iTunes remote.
post #165 of 1472 Old 01-12-2012, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentfox View Post

Yes that's how I'm controlling my projector right now. Have the IP2SL unit located down here where it's convenient. Ran a CAT5 to the projector so all I need up there is the RJ45<->DB9 widget. Mine only needed 3 wires hooked up and it was easy as pie. Not sure why you'd use CAT6 unless you just have a spool of it handy.

Indeed CAT6 was handy at the time and was part of a whole house wiring project, so I ran 2 CAT6 lines as well as HDMI from my central control closet to my ceiling mounted projector location.

My setup (IP2SL->widget->CAT6->widget->Epson3010) is very similar to yours. I'm even using the imported 3010 codes that you posted in this thread, but my 3010 has yet to respond to any serial control.

Which 3 wires/pins did you hook up to successfully control your Epson 3010?
post #166 of 1472 Old 01-12-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:

Which 3 wires/pins did you hook up to successfully control your Epson 3010?

Eh? Just the standard receive, transmit, and ground. I didn't record what I was doing but I think it was just a simple serial cable, i.e. pin 2 on one end goes to pin 3 on the other (RX<->TX,TX<->RX,GND<->GND). Since there's no flow control implemented no need to hook up anything else.

I hooked it up first to my PC serial port so I could manually type commands and make sure cable was good. 9600 baud, 8-n-1, none. I also changed TeraTerm defaults as follows:
Under Setup->Terminal:
Receive: CR+LF
[X] Local Echo
These last 2 settings are not essential but made it easier to read the output since the stupid device doesn't echo characters or send back a LF.

Thus I could sit there typing out commands to see what worked. It's neat to request LAMP? and have it report how many hours on the bulb. For me the first priorities were getting PWR ON, PWR OFF, VOL INC, and VOL DEC control. This is because I'm actually using this PJ in a playroom and it's nice that my kid can watch Dinosaur Train on the PJ+Blu-Ray using inboard speakers without a lot of complexity. I am probably one of the few people actually using the builtin speakers. After that just move the cable over to the IP2SL and make sure it's setup correctly.

You should remove my RoomieCodes file by now, as the Roomie people have folded it into their device library. I sent them a dump of what I discovered. Mainly that a lot of stuff in ESC/VP21 document works fine, plus I ran through KEY 00 to KEY FF to establish this table mapping out most of the remote functions. Their setup is kinda bare, but at this point has the most important controls working fine I think. There was some confusion about the Enter button on my part in the previous release, which if not sorted out already will be in their next device library update. I'd like to perfect the virtual remote file maybe add a volume slider and keystone controls, and push that back to Roomie devs just have to find the time ;-)

KEY description
01 standby/off button
03 Menu button
05 ESC button in 3010 menu
16 Enter button in 3010 menu
20 Aspect menu
35 V Keystone + (except in menu, where it's cursor up)
36 V Keystone - (except in menu, where it's cursor down)
37 Volume -
38 Volume +
3b No ERR, but no effect noted
3c MENU button
3d ESC button in 3010 menu, outside that maps to HDMI Link Return
3e AV mute
3f Color mode menu
40 HDMI2
43 component input
44 RGB input
46 video input
48 source menu
4b Test pattern
4d HDMI1
56 Volume +
57 Volume -
58 HDMI Link cursor up
59 HDMI Link cursor down
5A HDMI Link cursor left
5B HDMI Link cursor right
61 Memory button
6c PWR off
84 USER button
85 USB input
88 No ERR, but no effect noted
89 RGBCMY button
8b No ERR, but no effect noted
8e HDMI Link button
9d 2D/3D button
9e 2D button
9f 3D button
a0 PinP
a2 Projector pops up onscreen error "this button cannot be used."
a5 Auto Iris button
post #167 of 1472 Old 01-12-2012, 10:19 AM

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/11/s...-for-crestron/

How great would it be if this could be integrated to work with ROOMIE?
post #168 of 1472 Old 01-12-2012, 10:19 AM

Thanks vincentfox.
I'll give that a go when I get home.
post #169 of 1472 Old 01-12-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/11/s...-for-crestron/

How great would it be if this could be integrated to work with ROOMIE?

Yawn, as someone that has a Kinect, voice commands are not very useful.

Now Roomie on Android is something that should happen, and made a priority.
post #170 of 1472 Old 01-12-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBusiness View Post

Yawn, as someone that has a Kinect, voice commands are not very useful.

Now Roomie on Android is something that should happen, and made a priority.

+1 Android Makes some very nice 7 inch tablets that would would be much better to use! used Redeye just for that reason, but came back to roomie due to easier setup and IP control.
post #171 of 1472 Old 01-12-2012, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Has anyone else experienced problems with Roomie when there is a auto device update?

I did a Roomie set up for someone and with the last update it has upset the whole Roomie system. Receivers not responding other devices not responding etc.
A couple of weeks ago one ipod touch went flat while using it and then the Onkyo NR509 Receiver stopped working. Fixed it by unplugging the receiver from the power and then leaving it for a minute then switching it back on. Fixed it that way. But not this time.
Very frustrating.

Set up.

Room 1. All IP controlled
Onkyo NR-509
Panasonic BDT110
TiVo

Room 2. IP & IR (itach IP2IR)
Onkyo NR1007 (IP) 3 Zones
Panasonic BDT110 (IP)
WD TV live (IR)
Panasonic HDD recorder (IR)
Epson TW5010 (IR)

We have 2 ipod touches and one iphone with all the same settings.
Maybe he updated one and tried to use that one without updating the others.
That may have upset things.
Maybe I should just turn OFF the auto updates.
post #172 of 1472 Old 01-14-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashenden View Post

I would like to control my A/V equipment using an app and an iTach WiFi-2-IR unit, but rather than using an Apple device (iPod/iPad/iPhone) as the user interface (aka the "remote"), I want to control things using my wireless (802.11) laptop PC.

Is that an option with Roomie? In other words, does Roomie support designing a custom button layout with macros that can be used on a PC?

Thanks to input from mdavej and XARiUS, I found what I was looking for in terms of the technical details needed to control a Panasonic DMP-BDT110/210/310 unit using IP over a 802.11 network. Then I successfully controlled my device using a laptop or iPxx device thanks to Fulltopuk as well as TouchControl after some tweaks on HTTP POST made by its developer.

The technical details on the command format (again thanks to mdavej and XARiUS) can be found in the following post: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post21491715

My TouchControl device layout has been designed and is available at that site, if needed: http://www.touch-ir.com/. I have no affiliation to TouchControl other than I am a very impressed user (more on that in this post http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post21491535).

Also I am not posting this here to bash Roomie, but instead to encourage the development of a side app that can be used on a laptop PC as well as give direction to people searching for this as a firm requirement. If this is or becomes available in Roomie I would like to know.

NOTE: Please note that STOP does not work on my DMP-BDT110 and I am looking for a command for the Display button. Also, if anyone knows of any Status commands for the Panny DMP-BDTx10s, that would be nice to know as well.
post #173 of 1472 Old 01-14-2012, 12:01 PM

I see you posted this both on iRule and Roomie. While I'm happy you found a solution I totally disagree about both Roomie and iRule wasting development time for a PC. Plus who wants to open up a laptop to control their av equipment...not me.
post #174 of 1472 Old 01-14-2012, 04:00 PM

What does it mean when a roomie code being sent is shown red in the status bar, rather than the standard blue? Having this problem on only one device, my iPhone 3G. It is painfully slow, but just a backup/bedroom remote for when my iPad is charging. The friend that gave me this (with a broken screen that I remedied with a $16 glass digitizer combo from amazon, the $8 glass only had a bum bottom row digitizer).

Can't wait for him to upgrade (or break) his 3GS, to get a speedier backup for free.

Other than that no real problems from me. I would like a longer delay option, 5000ms is occasionally too short to power on my receivers and change the input, but I remedied with a false code and additional delay in-between.

PC companion sounds like a waste for most users, an Android app would be really nice though. Would love cheaper tablet dedicated remote.
post #175 of 1472 Old 01-15-2012, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclinch View Post

I see you posted this both on iRule and Roomie. While I'm happy you found a solution I totally disagree about both Roomie and iRule wasting development time for a PC. Plus who wants to open up a laptop to control their av equipment...not me.

Good feedback. Clearly you use your laptop differently from me, which is why there is a difference in perspective.

More often than not, I am either on my laptop or it is within arms reach when I am "mediaing". And when I am not on my Laptop, it is alive and open, except when inactive for 3 hours (when I am at work or in bed). I only wake it up twice a day - once in AM and once when I come home from work. Only once a day on weekends. Same goes for my Wife's laptop.

Any others with feedback on laptop use would be interesting. I have often wondered if we are unique in how we use our laptops.
post #176 of 1472 Old 01-15-2012, 05:10 AM
Advanced Member

Downloaded the app last night. I was able to play around for a few hours and got 4 of my components working. Some of the buttons are reversed like on sends the off command. Is there any way to change the name for the buttons on the virtual remotes? I could reach everything but my IR light switch in back. I'd hate to purchase another ITACH at $100 for one device. Any cheaper options? Thanks
post #177 of 1472 Old 01-15-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeper View Post

Downloaded the app last night. I was able to play around for a few hours and got 4 of my components working. Some of the buttons are reversed like on sends the off command. Is there any way to change the name for the buttons on the virtual remotes? I could reach everything but my IR light switch in back. I'd hate to purchase another ITACH at $100 for one device. Any cheaper options? Thanks

You can either run a really long emitter, get another itach, or upgrade the light to an rf/x10 variety, like insteon, and get the smartlinc. I am going to go for the insteon in my applications, when I find them on sale.
post #178 of 1472 Old 01-17-2012, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aahndee View Post

I use "Open URL in Safari" with "remote://" as the URL and it works fine (apart from doing it too early, while roomie is still supposed to set up the devices).

By this do you mean that Roomie is bypassing earlier steps in the activity and going directly to the "Open Remote" step? I am having this problem as well.

Thanks,

Scott
post #179 of 1472 Old 01-17-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott-C View Post

By this do you mean that Roomie is bypassing earlier steps in the activity and going directly to the "Open Remote" step? I am having this problem as well.

Yes - this what I'm experiencing...
post #180 of 1472 Old 01-18-2012, 03:08 AM

Hi all

On returning from holiday my roomie is no longer detecting my Denon AVR 3311 through IP.

Any suggestions as to what I can do?

Thanks
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Yamaha Rx V2065 Receiver , Tivo , Pioneer Vsx 1021 K 7 1 Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page