Roomie Remote - Page 67 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 44Likes

post #1981 of 2076 Old 06-08-2016, 06:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I have not experienced that issue. At this point i have have had solid access off network. It is slow to respond, about 20 seconds, but as long as i have the blue bar at the top I can connect off site. I did notice notice though that I have to rely on that blue bar because when I am off network the licensed to and Os version in the simple hub devices paired with shows offline. i can still connect though. I am using a Mac Mini for my hub.

I do not condone what i do, but i will not deny myself the pleasure!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 2076 Old 06-08-2016, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkicevic View Post
I have not experienced that issue. At this point i have have had solid access off network. It is slow to respond, about 20 seconds, but as long as i have the blue bar at the top I can connect off site. I did notice notice though that I have to rely on that blue bar because when I am off network the licensed to and Os version in the simple hub devices paired with shows offline. i can still connect though. I am using a Mac Mini for my hub.
Yeah so far the hub just arrived and its working better, maybe simple wasnt lying when they said recently mac and the hub are the way to go if you want simple sync, just seemed like i found to many issues with it on other second hand android devices like the galaxy tab 4.
post #1983 of 2076 Old 06-14-2016, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowknown View Post
Is there a solve for a device only having a power toggle - not a discreet on/off commands to
plug into SC. This is rather annoying.
What I usually do is either create a custom pop-up for the device with a power button. The power state tracking works reasonably well, but can't know if the device was powered off independently of SC, such as in a power failure.
nowknown likes this.

post #1984 of 2076 Old 06-16-2016, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I have SimpleControl and I really do like it.....BUT.....does anyone else have issues with their forum? WhoTF has a product forum that screens your post first before posting it?...ive put a couple questions up in the last week, still waiting to see them come up/and be answered

......(steps off soapbox)

Streamcom Fanless FC5
Zotac Z68-ITX Wifi
Intel i3 2125
G Skill Sniper DDR3-2133 8 GB x2
Mushkin Chronos 60GB SSD
post #1985 of 2076 Old 06-16-2016, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsketto View Post
So I have SimpleControl and I really do like it.....BUT.....does anyone else have issues with their forum? WhoTF has a product forum that screens your post first before posting it?...ive put a couple questions up in the last week, still waiting to see them come up/and be answered

......(steps off soapbox)
Ha. YES. Their forum polices are terrible and completely stifling to the community of users. I emailed support on this topic and got a reply direct from Will Price. It comes from the top. He just doesn't like unmoderated forums. I think he much prefers people go directly to support with questions so it can be managed. And while I don't think his point of view is invalid, I think he's blind to the angst it causes among his users.

And so I come here.
andrewpolk likes this.
post #1986 of 2076 Old 06-17-2016, 04:01 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yes, I've had many posts moderated into oblivion there. You can't talk about competing products. You can't offer constructive criticism of their product. You can't offer a different viewpoint once "Simple Control" has meted out a reply. All such posts vanish into the memory hole. Simple Control Prevails.

IMHO there's as much to learn about SC if not more here rather than there. If I run into an operation problem, I open a support case using the in-app support function, stick to the facts, and hope for a terse reply.
post #1987 of 2076 Old 06-17-2016, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The App formerly known as Roomie Remote

I purchased Roomie Remote a long time ago. I also purchased the Global Cache products to make it work with the devices I have. I used it with an old Ipod Touch 4.0 I had.

But I am not a fan of iOS, so I stopped and used two remotes and a keyboard for the HTPC.

Now my remote for my Rotel pre-pro has died, and I need something that will work. (Funny how Rotel doesn't sell old remotes, like they wanted you to buy a new pre-pro rather than replace the remote.)

Anyway, I thought about reactivating my old roomie remote product, but I would have to program things again, and all the emails I see on here have convinced me the new owner of this product is an anal retentive control freak.

I know I don't want a harmony device (been there done that) and I don't think I want simple control. Is there anything else that might work with my Global Cache emitters short of breaking down and spending a gazillion dollars for a Crestron setup?
post #1988 of 2076 Old 06-17-2016, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I've commented on this in the past, so just reiterating highlights:

* We created our forum because of the moderation on this website (avsforum.com) back in 2012. It has probably changed since then to some degree, I don't know and don't follow it. What we needed is a knowledge base area with a search capability for relevant information to users. My goal was not to setup a "community", it is and was to extend the knowledge base and have as near to 0% cruft/bloviation as possible. Nothing is more annoying to me as a user than paging through 800 pages of text to find the one line I needed. If someone wants a Bazaar like that, there are countless forums like this one to post on (which all have their own moderation rules).

* Over the years, since I do from time to time hear from users on the topic, I have reviewed third-party websites for best practices. I don't see any really good examples out there of something better. I'm open to suggestion if someone shows me something that consistently works great as a corporate forum. Remember the whole point is to help users quickly find necessary information – anything else is comparatively irrelevant. Since our forum has always been moderated, the ability to search it to find relevant information is high and fast. Anything remotely support-related is redirected to support. It's pointless to try to conduct support in a forum environment without the diagnostics and other tools necessary to do it properly. That represents almost entirely what gets moderated down.

* What I see in less moderated forums are flame wars, personal attacks, threads that get shut down and then deleted, etc. You may see such things here, but never on our forum. I think that's a plus for everyone. Some companies hope they don't have to moderate and it turns out to be a complete disaster and then they moderate like crazy and think they "fixed" it until the next time – just the last few months have produced numerous forum disasters for well-known companies in this area. Our focus is and should be 100% on the product and helping users with said product. One can either have explicit pre-process moderation like we do, post-process moderation like avsforum, or silent moderation like Facebook where things just get silently "hidden" if not appropriate. The Facebook path doesn't provide good search capability or topics right now, so despite having to reiterate that we moderate things every so often, the traditional forum with pre-process moderation works well for us. Users that want a Bazaar instead certainly also have many options.

- Will
post #1989 of 2076 Old 06-18-2016, 03:39 AM

Will,

First, thanks for creating such a great product in Roomie/Simple Control. I don't want to sidetrack the purpose of this board so please see my PM.
post #1990 of 2076 Old 06-20-2016, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphers72 View Post
I've commented on this in the past, so just reiterating highlights:

* We created our forum because of the moderation on this website (avsforum.com) back in 2012. It has probably changed since then to some degree, I don't know and don't follow it. What we needed is a knowledge base area with a search capability for relevant information to users. My goal was not to setup a "community", it is and was to extend the knowledge base and have as near to 0% cruft/bloviation as possible. Nothing is more annoying to me as a user than paging through 800 pages of text to find the one line I needed. If someone wants a Bazaar like that, there are countless forums like this one to post on (which all have their own moderation rules).

- Will

I didn't mean to hijack the thread guys...like I said before I love SimpleControl and the concept behind it...I think most would agree that we chose SC for it's beautiful interface and how much user customization you can achieve unlike other products who's software very closed to the end user *cough Control4 etc*

The internet is a breeding ground for trolls.. but I guess my criticism was that the particular community that is interested in SimpleControl is most likely very involved and very invested in it as well, which could make for a great online user community; furthering the product as a whole

I also see merit in having answers readily available without having to search through hundreds of pages in a thread...I personally don't have any answers here....just wanted to start the conversation

Streamcom Fanless FC5
Zotac Z68-ITX Wifi
Intel i3 2125
G Skill Sniper DDR3-2133 8 GB x2
Mushkin Chronos 60GB SSD
post #1991 of 2076 Old 06-20-2016, 09:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just curious for those who have amazon echo working with simple, do you always have to set the room? Even if you only have one room? Or if my activites are room specific

And if you have to can you set the room once and keep alexa in that room? For instance tell her to set the room to living room, and then from now on can you just say the activity?

The knowledge guide i wish gave a few more examples.
post #1992 of 2076 Old 06-20-2016, 10:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post
Just curious for those who have amazon echo working with simple, do you always have to set the room? Even if you only have one room? Or if my activites are room specific

And if you have to can you set the room once and keep alexa in that room? For instance tell her to set the room to living room, and then from now on can you just say the activity?

The knowledge guide i wish gave a few more examples.
My snarky comment... you should just search the SC forum as suggested by Will since it has all of the information you will ever need

I only have one room configured and was able to set the room just once. The annoying part is having to say: Alexa, tell simple control to xxxxx. They should reimplement using the Smarthome API so I can just say: Alexa, close shades. Instead, I have to say: Alexa, tell simple control to toggle shades (there isn't a close shade command for some reason).

Last edited by scooter_29; 06-20-2016 at 10:11 PM.
post #1993 of 2076 Old 06-21-2016, 09:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter_29 View Post
My snarky comment... you should just search the SC forum as suggested by Will since it has all of the information you will ever need

I only have one room configured and was able to set the room just once. The annoying part is having to say: Alexa, tell simple control to xxxxx. They should reimplement using the Smarthome API so I can just say: Alexa, close shades. Instead, I have to say: Alexa, tell simple control to toggle shades (there isn't a close shade command for some reason).
I think unless someone wants to correct me will mentioned that the simple control requirement is used because it allows you to do alot more commands rather then just smarthome commands like lights, and such. I think if you just want to do smarthome stuff you wouldnt need to say simple, but to do more it is required?
post #1994 of 2076 Old 06-21-2016, 10:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think unless someone wants to correct me will mentioned that the simple control requirement is used because it allows you to do alot more commands rather then just smarthome commands like lights, and such. I think if you just want to do smarthome stuff you wouldnt need to say simple, but to do more it is required?
Not sure but their Alexa integration is missing a bunch for both home automation and AV stuff. They should also actually try to document their full command set instead of making you guess at everything.
post #1995 of 2076 Old 06-22-2016, 04:25 AM

Speaking of shades... a few post up. Simple control discovered my Lutron Smart Bridge Pro but when I test remote nothing shows up. I don't see any of my Caseta Serena shades listed. Telnet support is enabled in the Lutron app. Any suggestions?

post #1996 of 2076 Old 06-22-2016, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter_29 View Post
Not sure but their Alexa integration is missing a bunch for both home automation and AV stuff. They should also actually try to document their full command set instead of making you guess at everything.
Just curious what is missing?
post #1997 of 2076 Old 06-22-2016, 09:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just curious what is missing?
The two I have found with my setup: I want an activity to listen to my turntable. I have tried calling the activity a whole bunch of things that would make sense: turntable, record, and vinyl... No dice. Turntable keeps getting converted to TiVo

I want to be able to have separate commands to open shades, close shades, and open to my favorite shade position. You can only control shades with a binary toggle switch. This is very limiting and also falls into the same problem as having discreet on/off.
post #1998 of 2076 Old 06-22-2016, 09:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Speaking of shades... a few post up. Simple control discovered my Lutron Smart Bridge Pro but when I test remote nothing shows up. I don't see any of my Caseta Serena shades listed. Telnet support is enabled in the Lutron app. Any suggestions?
You need to build a custom remote and add buttons to it or add a button to another remote. You then need to set the appropriate ID from the integration report from the Lutron App. SC does not autodiscover all of your preconfigured lights and shades in the SmartBridge.
post #1999 of 2076 Old 06-26-2016, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Is anyone using roomie/simple remote with their JVC x550r projector. If so how did you get it working? I've entered my IP address, port 20554(I've read 20554 is the port to use) selected serial and used PJREQ under authentication. I get no response with this but I keep reading people have been successful. What am I missing? I'm using an airport express as an extender since I can't get a direct Ethernet from my router to the JVC. Not sure if that matters.
post #2000 of 2076 Old 06-26-2016, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbquart View Post
Is anyone using roomie/simple remote with their JVC x550r projector. If so how did you get it working? I've entered my IP address, port 20554(I've read 20554 is the port to use) selected serial and used PJREQ under authentication. I get no response with this but I keep reading people have been successful. What am I missing? I'm using an airport express as an extender since I can't get a direct Ethernet from my router to the JVC. Not sure if that matters.
I found some possibly relevant discussion in one of the iRule forums:
"To set the projector to LAN Control Mode, go to the “Function” menu on the projector, then scroll down to “Communication Terminal” and change this from “RS-232C” (the default) to “LAN”. This will set the projector to LAN Control Mode. It will also enable the “Network” option further down in the same menu.

In the builder, browse for Type=Projector+Vendor=JVC. Device is called "JVC Projector RS Series All Models RS232/TCP"
Because JVC disconnects a network connection every 5 seconds if there is no activity, you will have to create an Entrance that is repeating every 3 seconds and put in command called PJREQ that is in the device you import. Tutorial for repeating commands can be found here: http://support.iruleathome.com/custo...rticles/471858

In the App, set it up as a NETWORK GATEWAY with Port 20554."
I would seem that you wouldn't be selecting 'serial' as that seems like it would be for RS232? You're right it does seem like people are having luck with the combo (JVC projector, IP control and Simple Control)-

https://forum.simplecontrol.com/feat...-ip-t9880.html
post #2001 of 2076 Old 06-26-2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadA View Post
I found some possibly relevant discussion in one of the iRule forums:
"To set the projector to LAN Control Mode, go to the “Function” menu on the projector, then scroll down to “Communication Terminal” and change this from “RS-232C” (the default) to “LAN”. This will set the projector to LAN Control Mode. It will also enable the “Network” option further down in the same menu.

In the builder, browse for Type=Projector+Vendor=JVC. Device is called "JVC Projector RS Series All Models RS232/TCP"
Because JVC disconnects a network connection every 5 seconds if there is no activity, you will have to create an Entrance that is repeating every 3 seconds and put in command called PJREQ that is in the device you import. Tutorial for repeating commands can be found here: http://support.iruleathome.com/custo...rticles/471858

In the App, set it up as a NETWORK GATEWAY with Port 20554."
I would seem that you wouldn't be selecting 'serial' as that seems like it would be for RS232? You're right it does seem like people are having luck with the combo (JVC projector, IP control and Simple Control)-

https://forum.simplecontrol.com/feat...-ip-t9880.html
No luck. I have no option in the projector that says Communication Terminal. Also within the app I have to choose serial otherwise choosing IP doesn't give the option for authentication. This is the last device I need setup and I can ditch my harmony.
post #2002 of 2076 Old 06-27-2016, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbquart View Post
No luck. I have no option in the projector that says Communication Terminal. Also within the app I have to choose serial otherwise choosing IP doesn't give the option for authentication. This is the last device I need setup and I can ditch my harmony.
Can you control your project via its smartphone app? If so, that would rule out a connectivity issue brought about by the airport express.

Also, does your projector have an ECO Mode? You may have to turn that off to allow the projector to receive network commands while it is in Standby mode.

If you can't get the LAN control working, you could always go with a Global Cache device to control via RS232 or IR. I've only used the IP2IR wired and iTach Flex (with RS232 cable) to successfully control various devices around the house.
post #2003 of 2076 Old 06-27-2016, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadA View Post
Can you control your project via its smartphone app? If so, that would rule out a connectivity issue brought about by the airport express.

Also, does your projector have an ECO Mode? You may have to turn that off to allow the projector to receive network commands while it is in Standby mode.

If you can't get the LAN control working, you could always go with a Global Cache device to control via RS232 or IR. I've only used the IP2IR wired and iTach Flex (with RS232 cable) to successfully control various devices around the house.
Only app I see is the JVC DLA app and I closes Everytime I open it. Many people saying it broke after an update. Other then that I know of no other app for iOS or Android.
post #2004 of 2076 Old 07-01-2016, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I plan on buying a Odroid C2 that will run LibreELEC (Kodi), and the HDHomeRun add-on for a cheap solution for live tv. Now will Simple Control be able to control my Odroid? I see Kodi is listed on their device compatibility chart but I just wanted to make sure this will work before I buy.
post #2005 of 2076 Old 07-03-2016, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Anyone have this controlling the Samsung k8500 4K bluray player over ip? I can see it and it identifies properly but can't control it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #2006 of 2076 Old 07-06-2016, 02:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Yesterday I got a Phillips Hue starter kit. Really nice lighting automation.

Phillips app works but in Roomie there is something called Manifest that I think tracks your connected bulbs and that stays at 0 even if I update it.

I sent SimpleControl an email and haven't heard back and I don't see others having this problem.

I would bet the problem is I've never had SimpleService because I used Roomie from the start when the subscription concept wasn't in use. Way back you could simply buy all the add ons and own them.

I'd be (sort of) happy to sign up for SimpleService if the offered the one media guide that I would use which is JRiver ... but then don't .

-Brian

After a week I have not heard back from support at SimpleControl.... this is strange. They used to reply to emails.

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 07-09-2016 at 02:15 AM.
post #2007 of 2076 Old 07-07-2016, 03:55 AM

I have had Roomie/Simple Control forever and am "grandfathered" in for all those features as well. I do not have Simple Service but I do have 7 Hue lights in my manifest that are working.

Are you sure SC can communicate with your hub correctly? Try deleting it and re-discovering/adding it again. I don't recall having to do anything special to get the manifest to update properly.

Can you control the Hue lights correctly using the Philips app? Is it possible that the lights aren't registered with the hub correctly?
Brian Hampton likes this.
post #2008 of 2076 Old 07-07-2016, 07:05 AM

Anyone having issues with simple control connecting to echo? It was working great for months and now Alexa tells me that SC skill is enabled however it is not available right now. 2 days going. I have rebooted everything but its still down.

post #2009 of 2076 Old 07-09-2016, 02:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by atebit View Post
I have had Roomie/Simple Control forever and am "grandfathered" in for all those features as well. I do not have Simple Service but I do have 7 Hue lights in my manifest that are working.

Are you sure SC can communicate with your hub correctly? Try deleting it and re-discovering/adding it again. I don't recall having to do anything special to get the manifest to update properly.

Can you control the Hue lights correctly using the Philips app? Is it possible that the lights aren't registered with the hub correctly?
I can control the lights with the phillips app and the iftt "do this" app.
post #2010 of 2076 Old 07-09-2016, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Anyone having issues with simple control connecting to echo? It was working great for months and now Alexa tells me that SC skill is enabled however it is not available right now. 2 days going. I have rebooted everything but its still down.

Never have gotten mine to work the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boom Boom, out go the lights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Yamaha Rx V2065 Receiver , Tivo , Pioneer Vsx 1021 K 7 1 Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page