Roomie Remote - Page 68 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 35Likes
post #2011 of 2029 Old 07-10-2016, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
I can control the lights with the phillips app and the iftt "do this" app.
I still can't get SC to update the manifest to more than zero items and generally opening the remote for the found phillips hue bridge causes roomie to crash out.

I feel it may be time to start subscribing to the service (since my last email to support was never acknowledged or replied to.)

I wish I could imagine that a "guide" for JRiver was planned... I use JRiver for everything and if it had a nice media guide like Kodi then I would be signing up for the Simple Control service. That would give me the single app control that SC is designed to be.

Since I have to juggle apps to use JRiver I may as well keep my phillips hue app also.

Basically, I'm at a crossroads... I'm willing to start investing in SC by picking up a subscription but it doesn't seem like it works for me the way it used to... it used to be the only remote I would ever need. and now it looks more like it just does some of what I need/want.

-Brian

Edit - I tried the contact support option from the app itself and my email was immediately acknowledged so I guess I may get some input from support on why the Hue system isn't working

Edit 2 - Roomie got back to me. If you push the button on the bridge then update the manifest it works. I just put that here for anyone else wondering how to setup Phillips Hue .

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 07-13-2016 at 03:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2012 of 2029 Old 07-18-2016, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
How do you delete remote designs? I have some unused designs that I want to delete but I can't find any option that will take care of this. Am I missing something?
post #2013 of 2029 Old 07-20-2016, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Haynes View Post
How do you delete remote designs? I have some unused designs that I want to delete but I can't find any option that will take care of this. Am I missing something?
I don't know.

What I do know is if you contact support from within the app the acknowledge it right away and reply fairly quickly.

-BRian
ChadA likes this.
post #2014 of 2029 Unread 08-02-2016, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question:

What is the best 4K TV that is FULLY IP-controllable? I know about the device capability thing on the SC website but I am looking for someone who no-sh!t uses IP-only control for their 4K TV and they recommend it/ it is bullet proof

Readdddyyyy go......

Streamcom Fanless FC5
Zotac Z68-ITX Wifi
Intel i3 2125
G Skill Sniper DDR3-2133 8 GB x2
Mushkin Chronos 60GB SSD
post #2015 of 2029 Unread 08-02-2016, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsketto View Post
Question:

What is the best 4K TV that is FULLY IP-controllable? I know about the device capability thing on the SC website but I am looking for someone who no-sh!t uses IP-only control for their 4K TV and they recommend it/ it is bullet proof

Readdddyyyy go......
I have a 2016 Samsung UN65KS8000 and I can control everything completely using only IP with SC. The only thing that does not work right away is Power On since all Samsung TVs turn off their network adapter when the power is turned off. To easily get around this inside of SC you can send a Wake On Lan command to the TV to wake it up and it works great. This apparently only works on 2016+ Samsung TVs. Using this I can send discrete commands for power off and power on. Everything else SC setups for you when you add the TV as a new device.
post #2016 of 2029 Unread 08-03-2016, 10:24 AM

That sounds promising! Thanks for the quick reply....I need something bigger than 65 though...any have any luck with Sony or LG TV IP-Control?

Streamcom Fanless FC5
Zotac Z68-ITX Wifi
Intel i3 2125
G Skill Sniper DDR3-2133 8 GB x2
Mushkin Chronos 60GB SSD
post #2017 of 2029 Unread 08-08-2016, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Thumbs down Simple Control 4.5 Update

Just opened the up to watch the Olympics and I got sent to an announcement that confuses me.
Simple Control Legacy is mentioned as the original Roomie Remote app released in 2011. It is compatible with the new Simple Hub

1. On one hand the announcement says:
Users of the Simple Control Legacy app continue to enjoy all functionality of that edition. No upgrades or new purchases are needed.
2. On the other hand, the announcement also says (about Simple Control Legacy):
Devices controlled: 3 (additional devices can be added with the purchase of a Simple Service subscription)
App Store Cost $9.99
Simple Multihome License, Simple Hub for iOS, and other new 2016 features are not supported in Simple Control Legacy

Now to my confusion about Simple Control Legacy:
is it free or does it cost $9.99?
does it support only 3 devices now or does it have the same functionality (unlimited number of devices)?
is it compatible with Simple Hub or not?
And in the meanwhile, the app isn't functional at all!
post #2018 of 2029 Unread 08-09-2016, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdigital1 View Post
Just opened the up to watch the Olympics and I got sent to an announcement that confuses me.
Simple Control Legacy is mentioned as the original Roomie Remote app released in 2011. It is compatible with the new Simple Hub

Users of the Simple Control Legacy app continue to enjoy all functionality of that edition. No upgrades or new purchases are needed.
Devices controlled: 3 (additional devices can be added with the purchase of a Simple Service subscription)
App Store Cost $9.99
Simple Multihome License, Simple Hub for iOS, and other new 2016 features are not supported in Simple Control Legacy

does it support only 3 devices now or does it have the same functionality (unlimited number of devices)?
If you go to the app store, you can upgrade your current version to the Legacy app. Seemed to work fine for me.

I went ahead and got the Simple Control Home app. too and it seems identical so far.
post #2019 of 2029 Unread 08-09-2016, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
HDMI Matrix Suggestions for SC

After reading most of the 68 pages of this thread (seriously), I am leaning toward using SC instead of the C4 system my dealer talked me into (deal breaker was 3K worth of switches). I am adding a patio TV/AV setup where the components will all be in the main room AV cabinet and very hopefully the SC set up will be my one controller to manage both the inside and out set ups. I would love two recommendations from this group of users:

1) Matrix - I am either going with a 5x2 or 4x1 HDMI Matrix, would prefer to do 5x2 (if cost efficient), otherwise will just buy a second Blu-ray and Apple TV and do a 4x1 Matrix. I would like to make sure whatever I get works well with SC. I see that the 5 bands listed on the SC website as IP controlled, but wanted to see if anyone had any positive experiences with a specific brand. I don't have any experience with them so am totally a blank canvas here.

2) Similar to a few posts above, I would love to hear TV recommendations that are fully IP functional now - Its pretty key that the outdoor TV power on and off without other remotes.

Thanks in advance for all the help
post #2020 of 2029 Unread 08-09-2016, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Upgrade to 4.5 Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdigital1 View Post

App Store Cost $9.99

Update - this was a tempest in a teacup!
To get the app working I only had to click Done on the browser. So silly of me!
And then, I just used Apple update and now I have 4.5 with all the features and capabilities I had before the update. No service selection and no subscription required.
I just overreacted to what seemed an intimidating announcement.
post #2021 of 2029 Unread 08-09-2016, 10:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have a reasonably complex remote remote config. I have a sony TV, samsung TV, apple 4 TV, HDMI switch, foxtel set top box and astone media player and 4 IPADS and 2 IPhones with roomie remote software. I've set up it with a number of rooms and activities and it works quite well, including powering off and on the sony TV.

My problem is that most days none of the controlling devices will work. I think (not sure, it kind of random) that turning off the wi-fi network (on the device, iphone or ipad) for a moment or two and then turned on again fixes the problem

I think the issues may be in the wi-fi network. Because we live in a 4 story house we have 2 Wi-Fi network adaptors with the same SSID. I suspect it may make a difference on which adaptor you are connected too. But I don't understand why it should - any Ideas why and how to confirm the issue and how to fix it ?
post #2022 of 2029 Unread 08-10-2016, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunarundell View Post
I have a reasonably complex remote remote config. I have a sony TV, samsung TV, apple 4 TV, HDMI switch, foxtel set top box and astone media player and 4 IPADS and 2 IPhones with roomie remote software. I've set up it with a number of rooms and activities and it works quite well, including powering off and on the sony TV.

My problem is that most days none of the controlling devices will work. I think (not sure, it kind of random) that turning off the wi-fi network (on the device, iphone or ipad) for a moment or two and then turned on again fixes the problem

I think the issues may be in the wi-fi network. Because we live in a 4 story house we have 2 Wi-Fi network adaptors with the same SSID. I suspect it may make a difference on which adaptor you are connected too. But I don't understand why it should - any Ideas why and how to confirm the issue and how to fix it ?
Ah, I know that it can be a pain to manage and troubleshoot this type of setup ... I have 3 wi-fi access points, all with the same SSID.

A few questions to establish whether you are having a more general network connectivity problem:
When you are having issues, are you able to access the internet on the IOS device (open a web browser, etc.)?
When you are having issues, are you able to connect to a device via it's native IOS app (most receivers, STBs and blu-ray players have remote control apps)?

For whatever reason, I've had more wifi issues with my iPhone 6 plus than any of my other wifi devices. And, usually, the only "solution" is to turn airplane mode on and back off.

If you are having general wifi connectivity issues, there are plenty of articles on how to optimize a multi-access point set up (including manually setting the wifi channels to avoid interference, etc.).

Good luck!
post #2023 of 2029 Unread 08-10-2016, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadA View Post
Ah, I know that it can be a pain to manage and troubleshoot this type of setup ... I have 3 wi-fi access points, all with the same SSID.

A few questions to establish whether you are having a more general network connectivity problem:
When you are having issues, are you able to access the internet on the IOS device (open a web browser, etc.)?
When you are having issues, are you able to connect to a device via it's native IOS app (most receivers, STBs and blu-ray players have remote control apps)?

For whatever reason, I've had more wifi issues with my iPhone 6 plus than any of my other wifi devices. And, usually, the only "solution" is to turn airplane mode on and back off.

If you are having general wifi connectivity issues, there are plenty of articles on how to optimize a multi-access point set up (including manually setting the wifi channels to avoid interference, etc.).

Good luck!
ChadA

Thanks for the reply. The issues seems only related to Roomie. I can access full ip services on the IOS device with the problem. But i do get the impression, it is more often seen on the Iphone than the Ipads.
post #2024 of 2029 Unread 08-10-2016, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunarundell View Post
ChadA

Thanks for the reply. The issues seems only related to Roomie. I can access full ip services on the IOS device with the problem. But i do get the impression, it is more often seen on the Iphone than the Ipads.
I am not familiar with your access point but what you need is something like zero hand off.That way you will not have to turn airplane mode on and off.While there are several AP which can do that it requires some significant knowledge.Fortunately the AP like eero make it easy but expensive.I have Ubiquity and it is fairly easy to do that.I have 5 AP and they work seamlessly for the most part.
post #2025 of 2029 Unread 08-11-2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shah993 View Post
I am not familiar with your access point but what you need is something like zero hand off.That way you will not have to turn airplane mode on and off.While there are several AP which can do that it requires some significant knowledge.Fortunately the AP like eero make it easy but expensive.I have Ubiquity and it is fairly easy to do that.I have 5 AP and they work seamlessly for the most part.
It's an Asus AC68U and doesn't seem to support seamless roaming. Which Ubiqity APs are you using?
post #2026 of 2029 Unread 08-11-2016, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadA View Post
It's an Asus AC68U and doesn't seem to support seamless roaming. Which Ubiqity APs are you using?
Hi!
I have the ubiquity lr ap ( g/n), do not have the model number,bought it 3 yrs ago.The have newer AC version around $100.I also have an outdoor one.Since I did not have to rest them in such a long time do not remember the model numbers!.The have a nice contrler which is free and you can program with out much computer knowledge ( me )!.
post #2027 of 2029 Unread 08-21-2016, 04:31 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Anyone currently running simple hub on the apple TV? I have Simple sync running on a mac mini with the simple service subscription. Everything works great but I want to use my apple tv now instead of the mac mini. Is simple hub license the same as the simple sync? I understand that I have to purchase the simple hub software for apple TV but very unclear what will transfer or not.

I do not condone what i do, but i will not deny myself the pleasure!
post #2028 of 2029 Unread 08-22-2016, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkicevic View Post
Anyone currently running simple hub on the apple TV? I have Simple sync running on a mac mini with the simple service subscription. Everything works great but I want to use my apple tv now instead of the mac mini. Is simple hub license the same as the simple sync? I understand that I have to purchase the simple hub software for apple TV but very unclear what will transfer or not.
I asked a similar question on the Simple Control forums and received this response:

Quote:
Simple Hub for Apple TV contains the full SimpleHub, no exceptions. The Simple Hub Software License can be purchased in the app (in which case it is tied to your Apple ID) or from our website (tied to your Simple Control account). Use the latter if you may later decide to use another platform for Simple Hub. If you already have a Simple Hub License, just pair with Simple Hub to activate it.

Simple Hub will keep running even if you leave the Apple TV / aren't watching it. If you plan to use it as Simple Hub, make sure to leave Simple Hub running as the foreground app. Apple TV does not support background operation (yet). That's why we recommend a dedicated Apple TV for Simple Hub. Simple Hub used just for camera viewing is really a different use case and none of this applies to that of course. However it does tie together well since the Apple TV is dedicated to Simple Hub anyway, it can also be used to review all your security cameras whenever switching to that input.

Thank you.
post #2029 of 2029 Unread Today, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsketto View Post
Question:

Readdddyyyy go......
Sony TVs are what we settled on. We have two homes now with SC implemented and the Sony's work great.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Yamaha Rx V2065 Receiver , Tivo , Pioneer Vsx 1021 K 7 1 Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver
Gear in this thread