Roomie Remote - Page 69 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 43Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2041 of 2065 Old 12-29-2016, 06:44 AM
Member
 
bcdavis75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwturner1951 View Post
He's probably INTP on the Meyer's Briggs personality type scale and doesn't know he comes across being rude. That still doesn't excuse his attitude if he's been told so.
Well, if it's any consolation, Will does tend to read this forum so at least he'll be aware of your public dissatisfaction.

I've found him to be extremely helpful at times and then at other times--very similar to your experience. For that and several other subjective drawbacks of the product I eventually had to pull the plug after several years. I was really bummed becasue it has so much promise. I sincerely hope Will keep pushing it forward though. Hopefully you can get it to work consistently for you.
bcdavis75 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2042 of 2065 Old 12-30-2016, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Brian Hampton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 7,990
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Recently I wanted to make my system easier for my kids.

They just didn't do well with my iphone based setup ... even though it was all working well for me.

So, I decided to get an Echo and have everything be voice controlled. I noticed Echo supported Roomie and JRiver and figured I would be all set.

I should have read a little more tho. To use Echo with Roomie I would need a Hub ($200) a license for the hub ($50) and a subscription to the service ($50/year).

This was a surprize. So I bailed. Bought the Harmony Smart control kit with hub and dedicated RF remote for $69. Comes with the hub and a nice remote with hard buttons.

I'm almost completely happy with this new setup... I don't even really need the voice controls as the kids have no trouble with the simple included RF remote.

If there's a wrinkle in the story it's that the included remote can't do the Hue Lights that I have. The hub knows about them and the ios app can control them but letting a remote control them means buying the ELITE version. that sux and they need to rethink that part... but otherwise. I think I made a good move.

-Brian
Brian Hampton is offline  
post #2043 of 2065 Old 01-04-2017, 10:31 AM
Member
 
cyphers72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: California
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
One of the differences with Harmony is that their supported device list for IP control is almost non-existent, whereas IP control of thousands of devices is our forte. Whether it is Hue lights missing in your case, or just about anything else on the first tab here, you're limited to their infrared database with few exceptions:

https://www.simplecontrol.com/check-compatibility/

For the Hub pricing, I more or less agree on that. I don't want to sell physical Hubs. We offer one because users request it. In August, we introduced the ability for the iOS app to become your Hub, integrated right into the main app. For many users that already have dedicated iPad Minis in some rooms as their control panels, designating one of those as a Simple Hub and just putting the device into Guided Access mode to ensure it never goes down is a no brainer, effectively free (the device was already there already running Simple Control), and reliable. It's quickly become my suggested system setup. As you noticed, the price of the physical Hub appliance and the license for the Hub is separate, and that allows users to choose whether they'll just run a dedicated app on an existing device for free, or use a Hub appliance that increases the price closer to Harmony with a dedicated Hub concept like they use. We also offer macOS and tvOS editions of the Hub. So the idea of getting a dedicated appliance for it is just one of many options.

The Harmony app has seen essentially no changes in 18+ months, look through its release history. It's not clear to me that product is still moving forward. We've had many major releases in that time, there is a full comparison on our website. Harmony is the king of hard buttons. I totally cede that. Hardbutton remotes are straightforward for basic AV control, and very good at that. When you start to go beyond that and think about media guides, playing a specific movie from your Plex/Kodi library, watch your home video cameras live with your controls and guide, use a TV program guide to look for a show, turn on lights, change your thermostat, or any of the many non-core-AV functions that are prominent these days, the concept of a hardbutton remote is totally unworkable. We should do more to integrate with hardbuttons, I'd love to integrate Harmony hardbuttons actually – we have several great solutions today, my favorites are the iPort LaunchPort and SurfaceMount. There's no comparison when one departs in any way from basic AV control. That's where we shine. In the end, Home Control and AV control are not separate topics. They only appear separate with some systems because they don't want to venture into the complex arena of AV control. The reality is that from a real user's perspective, any Home Control system without AV control or vice versa is missing a leg in today's world.

Regarding the other support topic, I do recall helping with license issues over the holidays. I do step in and respond to urgent tickets on major holidays when the real support folks are on vacation. I have debated whether it's better to let the tickets wait for our normal staff, but I prefer to get resolutions ASAP in some cases. It's response time vs. maintaining the proper support routine. I optimize for the former. Many users appreciate that. Some users would be better off waiting for the more patient real support folks.

Thank you.
cyphers72 is offline  
 
post #2044 of 2065 Old 01-07-2017, 01:26 PM
Member
 
swoodall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Denham Springs, LA
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Lightbulb IP TV List

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsketto View Post
Question:


What is the best 4K TV that is FULLY IP-controllable? I know about the device capability thing on the SC website but I am looking for someone who no-***** uses IP-only control for their 4K TV and they recommend it/ it is bullet proof


Readdddyyyy go......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Haynes View Post
I have a 2016 Samsung UN65KS8000 and I can control everything completely using only IP with SC. The only thing that does not work right away is Power On since all Samsung TVs turn off their network adapter when the power is turned off. To easily get around this inside of SC you can send a Wake On Lan command to the TV to wake it up and it works great. This apparently only works on 2016+ Samsung TVs. Using this I can send discrete commands for power off and power on. Everything else SC setups for you when you add the TV as a new device.
Oh, how I am hoping the AVS/Roomie Remote/Simple Control folks on here can help me. I am looking for a list of (hate to shout) 100% FULLY CONTROLLED IP TV's I could have sworn I had found a list on one of the forums (here, simple control or irule forum), but I can't for the life of me find it anymore. If we don't have one, I would really like to start one.

A little background. After trying a few times over the years to fully automate house without breaking the bank, I gave up. I feel like now the technology has matured enough and there are enough companies out there to give everyone various options depending on your budget. In my scenario I will have a total of four TV's. My wife will be using the system 99% of the time, which means it has to be dang near flawless and bulletproof as far as working properly. No one likes a po'd wife or spouse . BTW, wife already bought living room TV back during Black Friday as a surprise (Samsung UN55KU6300). I'm 99% sure I will use Simple Control (formerly Roomie). Mainly for ease of use for wife. The Samsung UN55KU6300 will be living room TV and we have not yet purchased any of the other TV's for bedrooms. Budget is a big concern as it is for most of us. Wife holds purse strings and would like to keep TV's around $400-600 range. No way she will spend $1500-2500 per TV for every room in the house.

I would like to have a 100% complete IP controlled system. There isn't a whole lot of other items in our system. Sonos speakers, NEST thermostat and smoke detectors, couple of security cameras, wireless locks and a pool automation system. Everything will work 100% IP, except for TV's. You would think it would be the opposite and TV's would be the first to have this feature . Most TV's will work via IP, except for the one all important feature of turning the thing on! I have researched this till I am cross-eyed and still haven't found 100% IP controlled TV in my price range. Maybe it doesn't exist. Simple Control has a list of compatible devices, but every TV I lookup isn't on there list. Including the one my wife has already purchased (UN55KU6300). And I understand that Simple Control can't test every TV on the market to find out. I contacted a few manufacturers and that was about useless. Some had no idea what I was talking about and some just said no, no matter what model number I gave them and one of those is a 100% working IP controllable TV). Simple Control support was semi-helpful and there bottom line was get a Sony TV (heard that from several people). OK, I start looking at Sony's. Every TV I look up in my price range lacks full IP control, lol . My wife will give me the death stare if I tell her we need to spend big money just to get a IP controllable TV.

So, with all that being said (sorry for the bellyaching) is there a list or can we start one with TV's that are 100% IP controllable? Manufacturer, model number and price paid would be a good start. I know I'm looking for a budget TV that is IP controllable, but I'm sure there are others that are looking for higher end TV's with the same feature. Therefore, no matter the price paid add it to the list and maybe we can get something started here. For those of you who recommended Sony TV's, what models do you have?
swoodall is offline  
post #2045 of 2065 Old 01-07-2017, 01:42 PM
Member
 
swoodall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Denham Springs, LA
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I know it has been beat like a dead horse, but I would like to chime in on the Simple Control forums. I understand that they would like everyone to submit problems via email. It lets them keep track of it and make sure there is a solution or answer for said email. Then they can update there KB/FAQ and such and everyone can benefit. But like most people I skip the KB and FAQ's and go straight to the forums. I did this while researching whether to use iRule or Simple Control. Simple Control's forums look almost dead and that worried me. Very few new posts. Then after finding this thread on AVS I found out why. Any post has to be approved by Simple Control and most just don't make it. Again, I can understand Will's reasoning to a certain extent, but forums are what people LOVE to post, research, gripe, bellyache, moan and praise the product. When it seems like you are messing with users free speech it is just a put off. I know it can get out of control sometimes, but for the love of Pete, loosen up the forum rules/restrictions about posting. By restricting the posts, then you force us to start posts on your products on a different forum (AVS). Just my two cents.
swoodall is offline  
post #2046 of 2065 Old 01-07-2017, 11:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
mikela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 667
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
I would need a Hub ($200) a license for the hub ($50) and a subscription to the service ($50/year).

This was a surprize. So I bailed. Bought the Harmony Smart control kit with hub and dedicated RF remote for $69. Comes with the hub and a nice remote with hard buttons
I am looking into this too. The last thing I want is another subscription fee.
mikela is offline  
post #2047 of 2065 Old 01-09-2017, 09:48 AM
Senior Member
 
ChadA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 360
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by swoodall View Post
Oh, how I am hoping the AVS/Roomie Remote/Simple Control folks on here can help me. I am looking for a list of (hate to shout) 100% FULLY CONTROLLED IP TV's I could have sworn I had found a list on one of the forums (here, simple control or irule forum), but I can't for the life of me find it anymore. If we don't have one, I would really like to start one.

A little background. After trying a few times over the years to fully automate house without breaking the bank, I gave up. I feel like now the technology has matured enough and there are enough companies out there to give everyone various options depending on your budget. In my scenario I will have a total of four TV's. My wife will be using the system 99% of the time, which means it has to be dang near flawless and bulletproof as far as working properly. No one likes a po'd wife or spouse . BTW, wife already bought living room TV back during Black Friday as a surprise (Samsung UN55KU6300). I'm 99% sure I will use Simple Control (formerly Roomie). Mainly for ease of use for wife. The Samsung UN55KU6300 will be living room TV and we have not yet purchased any of the other TV's for bedrooms. Budget is a big concern as it is for most of us. Wife holds purse strings and would like to keep TV's around $400-600 range. No way she will spend $1500-2500 per TV for every room in the house.

I would like to have a 100% complete IP controlled system. There isn't a whole lot of other items in our system. Sonos speakers, NEST thermostat and smoke detectors, couple of security cameras, wireless locks and a pool automation system. Everything will work 100% IP, except for TV's. You would think it would be the opposite and TV's would be the first to have this feature . Most TV's will work via IP, except for the one all important feature of turning the thing on! I have researched this till I am cross-eyed and still haven't found 100% IP controlled TV in my price range. Maybe it doesn't exist. Simple Control has a list of compatible devices, but every TV I lookup isn't on there list. Including the one my wife has already purchased (UN55KU6300). And I understand that Simple Control can't test every TV on the market to find out. I contacted a few manufacturers and that was about useless. Some had no idea what I was talking about and some just said no, no matter what model number I gave them and one of those is a 100% working IP controllable TV). Simple Control support was semi-helpful and there bottom line was get a Sony TV (heard that from several people). OK, I start looking at Sony's. Every TV I look up in my price range lacks full IP control, lol . My wife will give me the death stare if I tell her we need to spend big money just to get a IP controllable TV.

So, with all that being said (sorry for the bellyaching) is there a list or can we start one with TV's that are 100% IP controllable? Manufacturer, model number and price paid would be a good start. I know I'm looking for a budget TV that is IP controllable, but I'm sure there are others that are looking for higher end TV's with the same feature. Therefore, no matter the price paid add it to the list and maybe we can get something started here. For those of you who recommended Sony TV's, what models do you have?
I'm in your same boat -- I need the control to be bullet proof for my wife and kids. I've found the Global Cache IP2IR to fit the bill for powering on those Samsung TVs. A bit pricey but a small price to pay for marital harmony. Also, FWIW, I use the Global Cache Flex IP to control my Sony projector via RS232. Works like a champ.
ChadA is offline  
post #2048 of 2065 Old 01-11-2017, 05:54 PM
Member
 
swoodall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Denham Springs, LA
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadA View Post
I'm in your same boat -- I need the control to be bullet proof for my wife and kids. I've found the Global Cache IP2IR to fit the bill for powering on those Samsung TVs. A bit pricey but a small price to pay for marital harmony. Also, FWIW, I use the Global Cache Flex IP to control my Sony projector via RS232. Works like a champ.
Thanks man, it looks like I'm going to go your route. May need to pick your brain on a couple of things later on. Marital harmony is always at the tip top of list .
swoodall is offline  
post #2049 of 2065 Old 01-16-2017, 09:30 AM
Member
 
Keith Crusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
When you say Sony's don't have full IP control - what are you missing, exactly? More specifically, what more do you need than power on, power off, volume and input switching?

Currently Sony's are my 'go to' brand for installs with Simple Control and they work great via IP, but none of my clients need anything more than what I listed above. This page lists model numbers of Sony's and I believe I've stuck to it, though I can't be absolutely sure as, honestly, every Sony model I've purchased has worked via IP. If you stick to a model beginning with XBR, I'm certain you'll be in good shape:

https://www.simplecontrol.com/check-compatibility/

In some cases I've been using Samsung's via EX-Link (be SURE to verify that the TV has an EX-Link port and that it's functional - some have it but it's disabled. Why? Because TV manufacturers are....less than bright, from what I can tell). Grab a Simple Control WiFi or Ethernet and an EX-Link adapter and you're generally good to go. The Simple Control IP to IR modules also work well (I used to use Global Cache, which are great, but a little more expensive). If having an IR bug on the TV isn't your bag, you can sometimes find TV's with the IR receiver or even a straight wire cable on the back.

Believe me, it's INSANELY frustrating that TV manufacturers can't seem to get this right. It seems like a simple thing, but noooo - they find a way to **** it up. It has probably been my biggest frustration point when doing installs - and this is compared to designing the entire system from soup to nuts, including in-wall wiring, networking, control, etc.

This Sony is equivalent to your current Samsung and it definitely has IP control - but, again, do you need something more than what I listed above?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FWIEMSU
Keith Crusher is offline  
post #2050 of 2065 Old 01-22-2017, 07:25 PM
Member
 
swoodall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Denham Springs, LA
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Crusher View Post
When you say Sony's don't have full IP control - what are you missing, exactly? More specifically, what more do you need than power on, power off, volume and input switching?

Currently Sony's are my 'go to' brand for installs with Simple Control and they work great via IP, but none of my clients need anything more than what I listed above. This page lists model numbers of Sony's and I believe I've stuck to it, though I can't be absolutely sure as, honestly, every Sony model I've purchased has worked via IP. If you stick to a model beginning with XBR, I'm certain you'll be in good shape:

https://www.simplecontrol.com/check-compatibility/

In some cases I've been using Samsung's via EX-Link (be SURE to verify that the TV has an EX-Link port and that it's functional - some have it but it's disabled. Why? Because TV manufacturers are....less than bright, from what I can tell). Grab a Simple Control WiFi or Ethernet and an EX-Link adapter and you're generally good to go. The Simple Control IP to IR modules also work well (I used to use Global Cache, which are great, but a little more expensive). If having an IR bug on the TV isn't your bag, you can sometimes find TV's with the IR receiver or even a straight wire cable on the back.

Believe me, it's INSANELY frustrating that TV manufacturers can't seem to get this right. It seems like a simple thing, but noooo - they find a way to **** it up. It has probably been my biggest frustration point when doing installs - and this is compared to designing the entire system from soup to nuts, including in-wall wiring, networking, control, etc.

This Sony is equivalent to your current Samsung and it definitely has IP control - but, again, do you need something more than what I listed above?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FWIEMSU
Main problem is price. For main living room TV, I could go with a TV that I know has full IP control. Only problem is wife already bought 55" Samsung on black friday last year, lol as a surprise. Although Samsung TV's are starting to get more full IP control, the one she got doesn't (of course). And it doesn't even have Ex-Link either. And for all the bedrooms - we are talking three to four more TV's. No way wife will spend that much per TV. Trust me, I have gone through every list from just about every manf, but none of them have full IP control TV's on the low end. My budget for all the bedroom TV's is around $500 each. I need to step up to the $650-750 range to get the lowest end, full IP control TV no matter which manf. We just need like 42" TV's in bedrooms. I don't even care if they are dog gone 720p lol, just wanted full IP control. But it looks like I will be using IR regardless.
swoodall is offline  
post #2051 of 2065 Old 01-23-2017, 12:40 PM
Member
 
Keith Crusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by swoodall View Post
Main problem is price. For main living room TV, I could go with a TV that I know has full IP control. Only problem is wife already bought 55" Samsung on black friday last year, lol as a surprise. Although Samsung TV's are starting to get more full IP control, the one she got doesn't (of course). And it doesn't even have Ex-Link either. And for all the bedrooms - we are talking three to four more TV's. No way wife will spend that much per TV. Trust me, I have gone through every list from just about every manf, but none of them have full IP control TV's on the low end. My budget for all the bedroom TV's is around $500 each. I need to step up to the $650-750 range to get the lowest end, full IP control TV no matter which manf. We just need like 42" TV's in bedrooms. I don't even care if they are dog gone 720p lol, just wanted full IP control. But it looks like I will be using IR regardless.
Have you considered looking for used or refurbished models? I quick eBay/Google search turned up a few for around $550-$600.

If you do decide to go the IR route, I've found these slim IR emitters are the least obtrusive:

http://www.smarthome.com/command-fus...r-emitter.html
Keith Crusher is offline  
post #2052 of 2065 Old 01-23-2017, 06:52 PM
Member
 
swoodall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Denham Springs, LA
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Crusher View Post
Have you considered looking for used or refurbished models? I quick eBay/Google search turned up a few for around $550-$600.

If you do decide to go the IR route, I've found these slim IR emitters are the least obtrusive:

http://www.smarthome.com/command-fus...r-emitter.html
Thanks for the link, will check those out. Wife is scared to death to by anything used or refurb. I've done it in the past on a variety of items and sometimes it works out sometimes it doesn't. She only remembers the times it doesn't lol.
andrewpolk likes this.
swoodall is offline  
post #2053 of 2065 Old 02-14-2017, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Murilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 4,906
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Has anyone used the new smarthome skill, they sent me a link and it worked fine then due to a conflict with vera's skill vera had me forget all devices before i reinstalled their app, and now alexa will not discover a simple control device at all, before that she discovered like 30. The old skill still works fine communicating with the hub, support as usual wastes more of their time going through the motions hoping to avoid the issue before truly trying to diagnose this.

I have no idea on this one, works fine one minute not the next. I expect a week before support actually looks into what the issue maybe and will probably take 2 minutes a day to throw out a random suggestion i already said i tried.
Murilo is online now  
post #2054 of 2065 Old 02-15-2017, 03:35 PM
Member
 
hgmobile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winnipeg, Mb, Canada
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I only had marginal success with the original skill and stopped even trying to use it.
The new skill seems to work like a charm to start activities defined in Simple Control. To be honest haven't pushed much beyond that as I am more than satisfied having the activities start up or turn off via voice.
I did notice I could not set volume levels on sonos using the new skill using this new method and even using the example Simple Control lists.
Have never run into your precise situation but I have had to reset an echo before when it acted up with Lutron Caseta and not finding devices.
hgmobile is offline  
post #2055 of 2065 Old 02-15-2017, 03:51 PM
Member
 
hgmobile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winnipeg, Mb, Canada
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Denon Receiver ip control

I have had no issues with other denon receivers but I have an avr 3000 that seems to lock up on a very regular basis and refuse to respond to ip commands. Everything else works but the receiver will not respond to any commands and will not even respond to the denon app - won't even show up in the denon app. Usual method is to unplug for a few seconds and then all seems to work for anywhere from a few hours to a few days. I have also tried using the default or multiple connection command methods for setting up the AVR. Same result - lockup happens randomly. I have even done the network reset on the denon as described in the denon threads. Anyone else suffer from this? Cure?
I have resorted to using IR commands but really miss the slide function to control volume that the ip command sets provide.
hgmobile is offline  
post #2056 of 2065 Old 02-15-2017, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Murilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 4,906
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgmobile View Post
I only had marginal success with the original skill and stopped even trying to use it.
The new skill seems to work like a charm to start activities defined in Simple Control. To be honest haven't pushed much beyond that as I am more than satisfied having the activities start up or turn off via voice.
I did notice I could not set volume levels on sonos using the new skill using this new method and even using the example Simple Control lists.
Have never run into your precise situation but I have had to reset an echo before when it acted up with Lutron Caseta and not finding devices.
Hmm I tried a full reset but no luck, maybe i will do it again.

Its so weird it finds devices for everything except for simple controls skill now. Vera and nest it finds devices for fine, and even more odd is it worked when they first sent me the link, but then vera support had me uninstall their skill and forget all devices to fix an issue so i think i uninstalled simples skill to just to be safe and reinstalled it as well and rediscovered devices for everything and now it wont find any simple control device.

Of course support will send their one line response and then I wait a day for another one line response thats typically useless, since they dont have phones we get nowhere and it just takes up more of there time to. Today for instance they asked for diagnostics but whenever they ask for diagnostics from the hub they never get them, nor is their any prompt for the hub diagnostics that says done, so I asked hours later did you get them? I am sure tomorrow will be a productive msg again saying we did not get them...then i wait another day or go down the rabbit hole i have been with them months ago that uploading simple hub diagnostics dont seem to work. Frustrating and a waste of there time to, if they would take a bit of time to try to solve the issue instead of giving one line responses every day for a week they might be a bit more productive. There have also been times where the support guy keeps giving canned responses assuming its an issue on my end even when i report bugs until i finally say, hey this would take you 5 minutes to try it and see if im at fault or you, and then he finally tries himself and notices its a bug, he could have saved weeks of correspondence.

The old skill still works for me as well and has worked well for me oddly. I just have no idea why their new skill will no longer discover devices for me.

Last edited by Murilo; 02-15-2017 at 04:30 PM.
Murilo is online now  
post #2057 of 2065 Old 02-15-2017, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
erkq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,729
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post
Has anyone used the new smarthome skill ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgmobile View Post
I only had marginal success with the original skill and stopped even trying to use it.
...
The only "smarthome skill" I've heard of is the Amazon Alexa skill. I currently use it to control my 35 Insteon devices. It works so well my wife loves it! But I have no interface to Simple Control with it. Is there one?

Can you enlighten me what you're talking about?

Thanks.
erkq is online now  
post #2058 of 2065 Old 02-15-2017, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Murilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 4,906
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgmobile View Post
I have had no issues with other denon receivers but I have an avr 3000 that seems to lock up on a very regular basis and refuse to respond to ip commands. Everything else works but the receiver will not respond to any commands and will not even respond to the denon app - won't even show up in the denon app. Usual method is to unplug for a few seconds and then all seems to work for anywhere from a few hours to a few days. I have also tried using the default or multiple connection command methods for setting up the AVR. Same result - lockup happens randomly. I have even done the network reset on the denon as described in the denon threads. Anyone else suffer from this? Cure?
I have resorted to using IR commands but really miss the slide function to control volume that the ip command sets provide.
I had issues with my denon not sure if they are related but i created a dhcp reservation for the denon. Spotify connect would often not see it as a device, when i created the dhcp reservation for it i also had less issues with it randomly not responding at times, but it did not happen often to begin with.
Murilo is online now  
post #2059 of 2065 Old 02-15-2017, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Murilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 4,906
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
The only "smarthome skill" I've heard of is the Amazon Alexa skill. I currently use it to control my 35 Insteon devices. It works so well my wife loves it! But I have no interface to Simple Control with it. Is there one?

Can you enlighten me what you're talking about?

Thanks.
They have two now their original more powerful custom skill and a beta smart home control skill with less features but you dont have to use the phrase simple control when asking alexa.

Its in the announcements on their forum or twitter page.
erkq likes this.
Murilo is online now  
post #2060 of 2065 Old 02-15-2017, 09:33 PM
Member
 
hgmobile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winnipeg, Mb, Canada
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post
I had issues with my denon not sure if they are related but i created a dhcp reservation for the denon. Spotify connect would often not see it as a device, when i created the dhcp reservation for it i also had less issues with it randomly not responding at times, but it did not happen often to begin with.
All my devices have dhcp reservation, latest firmware, etc. have even restarted network component by component. Are you running legacy version or latest version?
hgmobile is offline  
post #2061 of 2065 Old 02-16-2017, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
jbn008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 550
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Receiver IP feedback question:

My question is regarding live feedback from the Denon AVR-X4200 (or any IP controlled receiver). More specifically, the volume level + surround sound format that appears on the top bar of all the activities.

I recently switched from a Marantz SR7005 and now that I'm resetting all my activities to include the new Denon, the volume level/ surround format doesn't appear at the top of my activities the way it did for the Marantz. When I open the actual virtual remote (not activity), the volume + surround is there just as it used to be within my activities.

I'm sure I'm just overlooking a simple step, but I can't for the life of me figure out what it is.

Hope this makes sense and I appreciate the help if anyone has any suggestions.

thank you

Headless Petie
jbn008 is offline  
post #2062 of 2065 Old 02-18-2017, 06:57 PM
Senior Member
 
rramacha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Santa Clara CA
Posts: 320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Hello All

Today when i tried to restart simple hub I got this message. Do you know what I should be doing here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-02-18 at 5.50.24 PM.png
Views:	22
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	1978865  
rramacha is online now  
post #2063 of 2065 Old Today, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Murilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 4,906
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgmobile View Post
All my devices have dhcp reservation, latest firmware, etc. have even restarted network component by component. Are you running legacy version or latest version?
I am running the latest version.

If you are using a dhcp reservation I am not sure what helped me, i just have not had an issue recently with it.
Murilo is online now  
post #2064 of 2065 Old Today, 03:38 PM
Member
 
trmoore2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post

Of course support will send their one line response and then I wait a day for another one line response thats typically useless, since they dont have phones we get nowhere and it just takes up more of there time to.
I put $500 into making "Roomie" (now Simple Control?) a few years back. The customer service was super arrogant and unhelpful. I could make 90% of the functions work, but there was ALWAYS a glitch.

Be very careful before you get into bed with this company. It always seemed like two dudes in a garage in San Jose with no receptionist. Something stinks about it?

Main Speakers: Revel F208's. Center: C208
SUB#1: Rhythmik F15HP. SUB#2: Stereo Integrity HST18 w/ Crown XLS2502
Marantz SR7009, Emotiva XPA-5
Projector: Sony HW55-ES, Carada 134" screen
trmoore2 is online now  
post #2065 of 2065 Old Today, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
erkq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,729
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmoore2 View Post
I put $500 into making "Roomie" (now Simple Control?) a few years back. The customer service was super arrogant and unhelpful. I could make 90% of the functions work, but there was ALWAYS a glitch.

Be very careful before you get into bed with this company. Something stinks about it?
Fortunately I've not needed support. I run a lot with it... receiver, projector, video processor, lots of amps (just on/off), lights, HD-DVD player, BD player... well, I guess it's not that much in today's world. But, anyway... it all just works, including their tiny Ethernet IR blaster.
erkq is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Yamaha Rx V2065 Receiver , Tivo , Pioneer Vsx 1021 K 7 1 Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver
Gear in this thread



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off