AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aahndee View Post

Yes - this what I'm experiencing...

I contacted Roomie about this, and they told me that this is fixed in version 1.3 of the software, which is coming out soon.

In the meantime, they told me to open up Apple TV in a separate activity to avoid this problem.

Thanks,

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1475 Old 01-19-2012, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm having some issues with or not being sent to my components. I'm using an itach wf2ir next to an apple airport express that is in bridge mode and audio. Not sure if its roomie app, the itach or simply interference. But basically, it will work fine for hours then I come back and choose an activity and nothing. No lights flash on any emitter even if I close the app completely and reopen it. The itach seems to be working fine when this happens as the green light is flashing as it should be. Any thoughts/experiences?

post #183 of 1475 Old 01-19-2012, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicks7 View Post

Hi all

On returning from holiday my roomie is no longer detecting my Denon AVR 3311 through IP.

Any suggestions as to what I can do?

Thanks

Try switching the Denon OFF and unplugging the power from the wall.
Wait a minute and plug back in and switch it on.
post #184 of 1475 Old 01-21-2012, 05:58 PM

How many here have successfully integrated Insteon dimmers & devices along with Roomie?

I'm trying to figure out the best way to get lighting control into my theater setup.
post #185 of 1475 Old 01-21-2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizman! View Post

How many here have successfully integrated Insteon dimmers & devices along with Roomie?

If you happen to have a Universal Devices controller (isy99, etc.), it's super easy. But if you want buttons to control your lights, you'll have to wait for the next version, which is supposed to have the ability to have buttons perform artibrary actions. That is, in the current version, buttons can perform actions only on the primary remote for any given activity. Hopefully, the new version will also allow buttons to send commands to REST interfaces.

With the current version, you can set lighting on entry or exit from an activity, though. It just seems an oversight that you currently can't perform the same actions with a button that you can on entry/exit.

I've tested this, though not to turn lights on/off. I have a cable box that has a power toggle code. I used the isy99 to remember the state. Instead of toggling the cable box, I send a command to the isy99 to run a "cable box on" or "cable box off" program. The programs, in turn, use the isy99 network module to send a command to my iTach, but only if the state has changed. They use a null program to keep track of the state.

You just just as well set room lights to a desired level on entry to an activity by either running a program or setting a scene via the isy99 REST interface. In fact, I plan on doing just that, since I just set-up a "TV viewing" scene on my living room lights.

With the next verison, you should be able to assign buttons to control light levels, etc.
post #186 of 1475 Old 01-22-2012, 03:50 AM
Advanced Member

Yes I experienced that some last night. Works fine at first then after not using it for awhile it doesn't respond.
post #187 of 1475 Old 01-23-2012, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm experiencing a weird issue. I have an Activity to turn on my Blu-Ray player (Oppo BDP-83), along with the other appropriate commands such as turning on the projector and receiver, and changing the receiver input.

I have a separate activity for turning on lights - Roomie's current version requires a separate activity, in order to be able to see all buttons for my lighting zones.

What i just noticed is that if I first use the Blu-Ray activity, and then switch to the Lighting activity, the Lighting activity turns off my Blu-Ray player.

I've double-checked my lighting activity and there is nothing in it that would tell the Blu-Ray player to turn off.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Thanks,

Scott
post #188 of 1475 Old 01-24-2012, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

I think when you add a device there is an option like power on/off for activities. Try turning that off under the your blu-ray device page. Roomie creates its own activities based on your settings. This was messing up my commands until I turned everything off when adding a device.
post #189 of 1475 Old 01-24-2012, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeper View Post

I think when you add a device there is an option like power on/off for activities. Try turning that off under the your blu-ray device page. Roomie creates its own activities based on your settings. This was messing up my commands until I turned everything off when adding a device.

Thanks; you are right that this option exists. Unfortunately, I checked that and "Power for all Activities" is turned off.

Tonight I discovered that this problem affects my Sony DVD changer, too. Very strange, and I just sent a support request to Roomie. For the life of me, I can't find anything in my lighting adjustment activity that would cause my source components to be powered off.

Thanks,

Scott
post #190 of 1475 Old 01-24-2012, 10:53 PM

Scott-c
the power comand is in the "activity" and not in the actual remote.
Just scroll to the bottom of the activity and delete the power off comand.
post #191 of 1475 Old 01-25-2012, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucket23 View Post

Scott-c
the power comand is in the "activity" and not in the actual remote.
Just scroll to the bottom of the activity and delete the power off comand.

I've done all this; in talks with the developer, it doesn't matter. You can't have an activity like "Adjust Lights" that brings up a panel of lighting buttons, because that Activity will stop the Activity before it (which in turn powers off devices) before starting the new Activity. The only thing you can do is have an activity that activates one scene of lighting - for example - the scene you designate for watching movies - and as long as the "Opens Remote" option is set to "None" and "Automatic Commands" is set to "Off," Roomie will activate that lighting scene without disturbing the current activity.

Over the past week or so, I've been in pretty consistent communication with Roomie Support over this and a few other issues. I asked about three ways to do what I wanted to do. First (ideal solution), create an Activity for "Watch Blu-Ray" (for example), where the remote that comes up has options for lighting scenes integrated with the Blu-Ray player remote. This is not possible in the current version of the software because the remote panel must contain buttons from only one remote (in this case, the Blu-Ray player). Roomie Support has indicated that "virtual remotes" with multiple button types from different devices is a feature coming in version 1.3, though I do not know when that version will be released.

Option 2 was to create an Activity that brings up a "Remote" of lighting options - in my case, a Grafik Eye remote panel with buttons to activate each scene, turn lighting off, etc. This option does not work, as discussed in the first paragraph, because as soon as this Activity is engaged, portions of the previous activity are terminated first, as confirmed by Roomie Support.

Option 3, the only workable one right now, is to have one Activity for each lighting scene. For example, one for "Walk-In" and another for "Watch Movie." I happen to have four lighting scenes, so I had to add four Activities to my Activity list.

For the time being, I'm finding Option 3 to be acceptable for lighting options, but not at all acceptable for my electric screen masking system. I can go into detail later if anyone is interested, but suffice to say, the current version of Roomie leaves me with no option for adjusting my screen masking to the proper aspect ratio.

I really like Roomie very much and obviously look forward to version 1.3 with the hope that it is able to more smoothly manage my theater's remote control needs.

If you are considering Roomie, I'd recommend it wholeheartedly if you have a standard/basic system that is not unusual in any way. If you have things like masking and multi-zone lighting systems, you may want to wait for version 1.3 and try it out before buying. YMMV, but for me, initial setup of my more standard / basic devices was a snap; I had working remotes and Activities in an hour or so. But, I've been trying to get lighting and masking integrated into my system every night (with lots of communication with Roomie Support) for the last 4 or 5 days and I still do not have what I would consider to be a fully functional Roomie setup. As it currently stands, as of a few minutes ago, I can use it to control everything in my HT except the masking. Until version 1.3 arrives, and assuming it will solve my remaining issues, I have to continue to use my old remote (Universal Remote MX-810) for screen masking.

Before I close, I must point out that Roomie Support is among the most punctual I've ever seen. I've always gotten email responses from them within couple of hours, regardless of the day or time of my transmission. For me, that was wonderful and served to temper my frustration.

I hope this is helpful; please let me know if anyone wants more details.

Thanks,

Scott
post #192 of 1475 Old 01-25-2012, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

One other note: Roomie's surround sound buttons for my Denon AVR-4810CI do not all work. For example, I am unable to use Roomie to change from Dolby PL Iix Music to Dolby PL IIX Cinema, as the button does nothing. I am controlling the Denon via IP using the receiver as the gateway, and from what Roomie Support has told me, Denon's IP protocol is not fully functional. Evidently some of the DSP buttons will work flawlessly - the "Jazz" and "Stadium" types, but the movie surround sound formats do not work at all.

Not Roomie's fault, but frustrating nonetheless.

Thanks,

Scott
post #193 of 1475 Old 02-03-2012, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Version 1.3 is now out. I really like that they continue to update this app. I would like to see OTA channels added to the guide along with a provider. Many people can get OTA channels from other cities so I think this would be a good addition. I'm overall very happy with this app.
post #194 of 1475 Old 02-03-2012, 06:44 AM

Me too. It just keeps getting better. I like the fact that they are always working on bug fixes.
post #195 of 1475 Old 02-03-2012, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

It looks like you can now download your own images/graphics to incorporate into Roomie. I am going to explore tonight when I get home. It states that PNG images can be saved in Dropbox and opened in Roomie. Not sure what PNG is? I wonder if you can save buttons/graphics from a place like remote central and use them in Roomie. I would like to transfer over some of my Pronto graphics.
post #196 of 1475 Old 02-03-2012, 12:21 PM

One thing that stumped me with the custom images is you need to backup your config to dropbox first, and then restore from dropbox in order to get the images into roomie.
Create a folder in dropbox roomie/images and dump pngs in there. Pngs are a very common image format that support transparency. Any png icon from the web should work.
post #197 of 1475 Old 02-03-2012, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Hey, thanks for the info. Do the pngs have to be a certain size?
post #198 of 1475 Old 02-03-2012, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Hey, thanks for the info. Do the pngs have to be a certain size?

I don't think so. I just did a few of various sizes no problems.
post #199 of 1475 Old 02-03-2012, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Version 1.3 is now out. I really like that they continue to update this app. I would like to see OTA channels added to the guide along with a provider. Many people can get OTA channels from other cities so I think this would be a good addition. I'm overall very happy with this app.

I agree. This is a really great app that keeps getting better. Version 1.3 satisfies some of my key requirements for remote control of my HT.

Thanks,

Scott
post #200 of 1475 Old 02-03-2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott-C View Post

One other note: Roomie's surround sound buttons for my Denon AVR-4810CI do not all work. For example, I am unable to use Roomie to change from Dolby PL Iix Music to Dolby PL IIX Cinema, as the button does nothing. I am controlling the Denon via IP using the receiver as the gateway, and from what Roomie Support has told me, Denon's IP protocol is not fully functional. Evidently some of the DSP buttons will work flawlessly - the "Jazz" and "Stadium" types, but the movie surround sound formats do not work at all.

Not Roomie's fault, but frustrating nonetheless.

I am using the AVR 1912 and noticed that subwoofer commands and rear level commands also don't work. Have you tried using the Manual IP setup for Denon? (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx on port 80) I enabled that as a device and that command set has commands called Mode Music and Mode Movie which throw the available choices for the current input up onto the GUI. You then cycle thru them as a pure toggle. All the formats that display seem to work in this method.

I also added those functions into the remote I use for apple TV so I could adjust modes without having to leave the apple remote. The new dynamic remote creation is slick although not intuitive at first.
post #201 of 1475 Old 02-04-2012, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Does anyone know how to set the volume preset? If I'm reading the new update correctly apparently you can set the volume through an activity:

"For instance, entering -32.5″ as a parameter to VOLUME SET will be converted automatically among the plethora of different volume formats Roomie supports into the appropriate encoding for your receiver."

My goal is to have the volume set to different levels depending on which device I'm playing, is this possible?

-I have a WF2SL with 2-way feedback for my marantz sr7001 receiver

Thanks

Headless Petie
post #202 of 1475 Old 02-04-2012, 02:48 PM

Assuming that the Marantz sr7001 command set is the same as Denon AVR set - you will find at the bottom of the command list under # heading a list of the parameter commands. The last of these is .volume. When you select that there is a place to input your volume setting.
You would just add this as an additional command in the sequence of your activity startup.

Hope that helps
post #203 of 1475 Old 02-04-2012, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgmobile View Post

Assuming that the Marantz sr7001 command set is the same as Denon AVR set - you will find at the bottom of the command list under # heading a list of the parameter commands. The last of these is .volume. When you select that there is a place to input your volume setting.
You would just add this as an additional command in the sequence of your activity startup.

Hope that helps

I'm going to have to experiment with this more. I just tried it, and it didn't work (Denon AVR-4810CI Receiver, set volume to -25.0).

Thanks,

Scott
post #204 of 1475 Old 02-04-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott-C View Post

I'm going to have to experiment with this more. I just tried it, and it didn't work (Denon AVR-4810CI Receiver, set volume to -25.0).

It works on a 1912 - perhaps being a newer release impacts implementation? Did you try with and without brackets around the db? e.g.: -25.0 or (-25.0)

I also have used the manual ip Denon code set. It has a different and more restricted set of codes than the auto detected Denon AVR set. The .volume command has a second screen where you input the setting. When I tried using that set of commands it seemed to subtract the dbs from what was already set.
Perhaps that manual ip on port 80 setup may work better for you on the 4810?

The same device can be controlled by setting the same AVR as two devices. The first one set up will take feedback precedence but using the new dynamic commands you can add buttons/commands from the second AVR setup anywhere. Its not intuitive (IMO) but once you do it the first time it is easy.

Harvey
post #205 of 1475 Old 02-04-2012, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgmobile View Post

I am using the AVR 1912 and noticed that subwoofer commands and rear level commands also don't work. Have you tried using the Manual IP setup for Denon? (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx on port 80) I enabled that as a device and that command set has commands called Mode Music and Mode Movie which throw the available choices for the current input up onto the GUI. You then cycle thru them as a pure toggle. All the formats that display seem to work in this method.

I also added those functions into the remote I use for apple TV so I could adjust modes without having to leave the apple remote. The new dynamic remote creation is slick although not intuitive at first.

That is a really good idea - thanks. But for some reason, this doesn't work, either. The buttons for these modes do not issue any commands. I am pretty sure I have the IP and port addresses correct.

As for the direct volume command, that actually just worked, having re-initiated the activity.

Thanks,

Scott
post #206 of 1475 Old 02-04-2012, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That sounds correct. The new Denon protocol option in Roomie it says is based on the iPhone protocol which if you look at Denon's iPhone app description is really just for the 2011 models. Anything else (like your 4810) needs the normal old school Denon commands that Roomie auto-detects.

It sounds like Denon is having a hard time figuring out whether to go left or right with their protocols, but at least with Roomie all options are on the table.
post #207 of 1475 Old 02-05-2012, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Thanks for all the feedback. I tried it and it didn't work for me, but I think it's do to the fact that my receiver is an older model. I spoke to Roomie and they told me that the feature (feedback/ volume control) should be included in the 1.32 update which should drive this month. I have to say that I'm very impressed with their support on this app. The easy thing to do for them would have been to blow me off and tell me to get a new receiver, but they have bent over backwards to get me up and running. I will definitely recommend this app to everyone I know.

Headless Petie
post #208 of 1475 Old 02-06-2012, 08:59 AM

Just letting you know that I just got Roomie this weekend after seeing the update and am loving it so far. Got feedback working with my ISY-99i insteon lighting controller and macros going with it as well (press the "play" button and it activates a scene that dims the lights). Works very nicely and pretty easy to set up. The only con so far is that currently you can only display the feedback (brightness level) for one device address so if you have multiple switches on a scene that all get set to different levels it can only display one of them (but you can control all of them). I hear there should be an update possibly this month that allows arbitrary feedback meaning that feedback for all device addresses (switches) can be displayed. Haven't tested the Oppo scrubbing yet through RS-232 but am looking forward to that as well. Loving this app so far and the constant updates. Also, the support is the fastest I have ever seen (I emailed them at 9:30pm on sunday night and they responded in less than five minutes).
post #209 of 1475 Old 02-06-2012, 08:23 PM

Just downloaded roomie and am liking it but when I set up my cable box the channels from my subscriber are wrong. So it shows Espn as 425 but espn is actually 428 so when I hit espn it takes me to fox(425). It is actually using what the guide was like 8 months ago. Can I fix this or what can I do

Thanks
post #210 of 1475 Old 02-07-2012, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

The best thing to do is to post questions on Roomie's Facebook page. They seem very responsive. Speaking of the guide- I would like to be able to add different OTA cities. Many people can recieve OTA channels from different cities.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Yamaha Rx V2065 Receiver , Tivo , Pioneer Vsx 1021 K 7 1 Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V2065 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page