post #2071 of 2097 Old 02-27-2017, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleycol View Post
Quick question:
Do I need the Hub appliance or does the software running on a ipad replace it for use with Alexa?
You need the Simple Hub Licence. Running the simple control app on an ipad / iphone is enough. Actually, for me, running it on the ios device is the best way. You have to leave the ios device in guided access mode and not let it go to sleep though.

I used to run the simple hub service on a mac. The problem is that some ip device (receiver, projector) will accept one connection. So, if the ios device is off / in sleep mode, and you initiate an alexa command, the command comes from the hub. Now, you wake the ios device and initiate a command... nothing happens. The connection to the receiver/projector from the mac is still active. There is no provision to globally route all commands to go through the hub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 2097 Old 03-22-2017, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm thinking about getting an nvidia shield and also am considering getting simplecontrol. My question is will simplecontrol work with kodi on the nvidia shield the same way it works with kodi on a pc? Getting media guides and other such control.

Thanks.

-- TechTVMan

JVC X770R / 120" Silver Ticket | Marantz 7011 | Nvidia Shield | OPPO BDP 203 UHD | Tivo Roamio OTA | Simple Control Remote | 7ch B&W 600 series | Rythmik FV15 | Insteon Automation
post #2073 of 2097 Old 04-18-2017, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

anyone?

-- TechTVMan

JVC X770R / 120" Silver Ticket | Marantz 7011 | Nvidia Shield | OPPO BDP 203 UHD | Tivo Roamio OTA | Simple Control Remote | 7ch B&W 600 series | Rythmik FV15 | Insteon Automation

post #2074 of 2097 Old 04-21-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techtvman View Post
I'm thinking about getting an nvidia shield and also am considering getting simplecontrol. My question is will simplecontrol work with kodi on the nvidia shield the same way it works with kodi on a pc? Getting media guides and other such control.

Thanks.

I use simple control and Kodi for the shield. You get the media guides in simple control. However, I prefer to use a hard key remote. So I use the Xbox one remote, flirc, and map the keys in kodi to control kodi and simple control . Looking at an iPad/ iPad mini/ iPad Pro / iPhone 5 (tried them all) to control my theater seemed cool in the beginning. But looking down at the simple control device and looking up at the screen gets old.
I use an Amazon dot, simple control, and the Xbox one remote for a one screen (theater screen) experience. Very high waf.
post #2075 of 2097 Old 04-21-2017, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thai pham View Post
I use simple control and Kodi for the shield. You get the media guides in simple control. However, I prefer to use a hard key remote. So I use the Xbox one remote, flirc, and map the keys in kodi to control kodi and simple control . Looking at an iPad/ iPad mini/ iPad Pro / iPhone 5 (tried them all) to control my theater seemed cool in the beginning. But looking down at the simple control device and looking up at the screen gets old.
I use an Amazon dot, simple control, and the Xbox one remote for a one screen (theater screen) experience. Very high waf.
Well I currently have a harmony one and was thinking about going the tablet based remote route as it looked cool, but perhaps like you i might find it annoying after a while. I wonder if i should just get the harmony elite, i do like the idea of controlling lights and creating scenes and I think i can get that down with the harmony. I also have an echo dot although the only useful thing at the moment is launching or shutting off activities.

-- TechTVMan

post #2076 of 2097 Old 04-21-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Well I currently have a harmony one and was thinking about going the tablet based remote route as it looked cool, but perhaps like you i might find it annoying after a while. I wonder if i should just get the harmony elite, i do like the idea of controlling lights and creating scenes and I think i can get that down with the harmony. I also have an echo dot although the only useful thing at the moment is launching or shutting off activities.

I still use simple control. The app (with simple hub mode on) runs on an iPhone 5s in guided access mode. But it's hidden away so no one directly use simple control.The both Alexa and the xbox one remote activates the simple control activity. i.e Alexa turn on movies, Alexa, tell simple control to go to Tennis channel. Kodi will also trigger simple control activities on playback/pause/stop to control lighting and projector zooming.

I use to have one of those urc. Too many buttons wife commanded.
post #2077 of 2097 Old 07-10-2017, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I now have an nvidia shield 2017 non pro so it doesn't have IR, i bought a flirc and am trying to get simple control to control the shield, how did you get this to work?

-- TechTVMan

post #2078 of 2097 Old 07-10-2017, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
I now have an nvidia shield 2017 non pro so it doesn't have IR, i bought a flirc and am trying to get simple control to control the shield, how did you get this to work?
+1

Equipment list:Anthem Statement dv2 3D,Anthem avm 60,JVC RS 520,Martin Logan SL speakers,Bryston amps for lcr and surrounds,Anthem four channel amp for in ceilings,IS 110" screen,Lutron for lights,Oppo 203 DVD,SimpleControl remote.
post #2079 of 2097 Old 07-10-2017, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 2255 Post(s)
Liked: 985
I've seen procedures posted in the shield and flirc forums. It involves loading the appropriate profile on a PC first, then plugging into the shield.
post #2080 of 2097 Old 07-11-2017, 05:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
I've seen procedures posted in the shield and flirc forums. It involves loading the appropriate profile on a PC first, then plugging into the shield.
well I think i did that, i pluged in the flirc to my laptop, selected the nvidia shield profile. On my simple control i used a simple blaster and added game - nvidia shield and then used test remote and then aimed the blaster at the flirc cause it wants you to learn the keys when you select the profile. I did all the keys and didnt see any save button or what have you so i thought it was done. I then pulled the flirc and put it in the shield and thought i would run the test remote from my simple control through the blaster to see if it would work and it did not so i dont know what i am missing.

-- TechTVMan

post #2081 of 2097 Old 07-11-2017, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 2255 Post(s)
Liked: 985
I have to defer to what's been posted in those other threads since I have no shield, no flirc and no roomie. I only wanted to point you to the posted procedures.
post #2082 of 2097 Old 07-15-2017, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Do you need both simple control skills to use an echo? I cant seem to get it to work worth a crap. It doesn't do activities correctly and half the time it says offline under devices in the alexa app. I do have a simple hub, maybe its crap and i need to just run the hub off my ipad? anyone else experienced issues with the simple hub?

-- TechTVMan

post #2083 of 2097 Old 07-17-2017, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Does any one know how often the app updates the DirecTV DVR lists? I have deleted programs off the DVR a few days ago and they still show up on the DVR list in the app.
post #2084 of 2097 Old 07-18-2017, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg7321 View Post
Does any one know how often the app updates the DirecTV DVR lists? I have deleted programs off the DVR a few days ago and they still show up on the DVR list in the app.
Weird, I've never noticed that lag -- are you using the Genie DVR? What happens when you try to play a deleted show?
post #2085 of 2097 Old 07-18-2017, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadA View Post
Weird, I've never noticed that lag -- are you using the Genie DVR? What happens when you try to play a deleted show?
Yes I am using the Genie. When I click on it with in the app it just does nothing.

Also another question, I came home tonight and had a message on my iPad saying that I was long on Memory. When I went into settings it showed the simple control app was using upwards of 900MB, however when I uninstalled the app, it cleared up 30GB from the iPad. Reinstalled the app and now its at 66.3MB. Is there a known bug with the app?
post #2086 of 2097 Old 07-21-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Hi, sorry I haven't been checking the forums. Kodi running on the shield can be controlled via IP. You can
add a kodi "device" in simple control.

The other option is using FLIRC. But you would need to get a Global Cache IP2IR iTach Wired TCP/IP to IR
or use Simple Control's Simple Blaster. FLIRC will map any IR signal to a HID key press. So in Simple Control,
you would add a device like MCE Remote. Teach FLIRC the codes using the FLIRC program.

Good Luck.
post #2087 of 2097 Old 07-21-2017, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hi, sorry I haven't been checking the forums. Kodi running on the shield can be controlled via IP. You can
add a kodi "device" in simple control.

The other option is using FLIRC. But you would need to get a Global Cache IP2IR iTach Wired TCP/IP to IR
or use Simple Control's Simple Blaster. FLIRC will map any IR signal to a HID key press. So in Simple Control,
you would add a device like MCE Remote. Teach FLIRC the codes using the FLIRC program.

Good Luck.
I can control kodi via ip but i wanted to control the shield for power on off and regular shield navigation so i can go to other apps.

I was able to use an old mce remote and program the keys to the flirc and then use the old mce remote to control the shield via IR, i dunno about power, i couldnt figure that one out.

So heres what i did, in simple control i added the nvidia shield via the simple blaster and used the test remote to learn the ir from the simple blaster into the flirc to control the shield but when i plugged it into the sheild when i was done it didnt respond to any of the simple control commands for the shield remote.

Should i have added MCE remote instead of the shield in simple control?

Something tells me this wont work for power/sleep (on/off) since the shield remote doesn't have a power button, but my hope was that someone had the commands from the shield with IR i could just load into the flirc, but perhaps it cant work this way.

-- TechTVMan

post #2088 of 2097 Old 08-02-2017, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 28
unboxed this stuff a year or so later

I bought two roomie flex devices awhile ago. I never got around to setting it up. I just tried tonight for the first time and have run into some issues.
When i add "roomie blaster ethernet" it asks me to update the firmware. This always starts with formatting...and ends with update error.

If i skip and go to the next screen i get this list:
serial
IR Port 1
IR Port 2
IR Port 3
I plugged in the ir blaster with two emitters into ir port 1 (triport adapter), added xbox s, tested remote, got nothing. Tried IR port 3, again nothing. I also tried using some logitech ir blasters i had lying around to make sure it wasn't the cable. So no control over the xbox s. I tried the same process but tried adding my comcast x1 box and got no further.
If i click on Roomie Blaster Settings i get 404 file not found.

I'm at a failure to launch. Any ideas on how to update the firmware on these devices? What am i doing wrong?

My Theater build
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post21268949
xboxone gamertag: MASTERpTWINKIE
PS3: zaczimer
post #2089 of 2097 Old 08-07-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp360 View Post
I bought two roomie flex devices awhile ago. I never got around to setting it up. I just tried tonight for the first time and have run into some issues.
When i add "roomie blaster ethernet" it asks me to update the firmware. This always starts with formatting...and ends with update error.

If i skip and go to the next screen i get this list:
serial
IR Port 1
IR Port 2
IR Port 3
I plugged in the ir blaster with two emitters into ir port 1 (triport adapter), added xbox s, tested remote, got nothing. Tried IR port 3, again nothing. I also tried using some logitech ir blasters i had lying around to make sure it wasn't the cable. So no control over the xbox s. I tried the same process but tried adding my comcast x1 box and got no further.
If i click on Roomie Blaster Settings i get 404 file not found.

I'm at a failure to launch. Any ideas on how to update the firmware on these devices? What am i doing wrong?
Have you tried connecting to the flex devices with a browser to update the firmware that way?
post #2090 of 2097 Old 08-08-2017, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadA View Post
Have you tried connecting to the flex devices with a browser to update the firmware that way?
Thanks, that worked to get the firmware updated but i still have no control over comcast x1 or xbox one s. I'm adding the device and using the "test remote" to see if it works. Nothing happens. I'm using the blaster with the two ir heads on it. Any ideas?

My Theater build
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post21268949
xboxone gamertag: MASTERpTWINKIE
PS3: zaczimer
post #2091 of 2097 Old 08-08-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp360 View Post
Thanks, that worked to get the firmware updated but i still have no control over comcast x1 or xbox one s. I'm adding the device and using the "test remote" to see if it works. Nothing happens. I'm using the blaster with the two ir heads on it. Any ideas?
It's been a while since I set up my Flex, and I used it for RS/232, not IR. But, just confirming that you set it up properly (https://www.globalcache.com/files/do...nkIR_print.pdf) -- e.g., Current Active Cable = Infrared, and that you selected the corrected infrared cable configuration?
post #2092 of 2097 Old 08-23-2017, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Russound CA4

Just purchased a new home that came with a Russound CA4. This appears to be an entry level system that is keypad control based. The amp has a rs232 connection and I am wondering if anyone has used the serial connection to control this unit. Simple has ir codes that work and have serial commands that are known to work on the bigger/better Russound units. Was wondering if anyone has used that particular model of Russound with serial Control. My aim is to get away from the keypads (they really aren't in the best places) and to enhance ease of use with macros.
post #2093 of 2097 Old 09-10-2017, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just upgraded from a hr44 Genie to the new Genie2 HS17. Now I am having an issue connecting to my directv c61k clients with an HS17 Genie Server2. All devices are registered and I set them up the same way that I setup the old genie clients. Does anyone know if Directv changed the ports for remote access?
post #2094 of 2097 Old 09-16-2017, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I heard this was the best (open and most active) Simple-Control forum thread on the Internet Is that true?

It was either this or a new Harmony and Hub. I guess I'm all-in with Simple-Control now.

Simple Control Home, Ethernet Simple-Blaster, Simple Service (24 Devices Total)
Liking the Apple Eco-System
Mac-Mini (Late 2012), AppleTV-4,
iPhone-5s, iPhone-6, iPad-2, iPad-Pro 9.7 & Pencil
And yeah ... I have Windows machines too.

Not sure that I expected from the tiny port#3 blaster on the Simple-Blaster, but i found-out the hard-way that it's not as powerful as the one in the front of my old Harmony 670. The Simple-Blaster would not reach the projector 16-ft in the back of the room.

I had an old (but never-opened) set of these, and they seem to work OK I guess. Although, the blaster-part in the Receiver was pretty weak (positioned in back of room, but wouldn't reach a few feet up), so I had to use the wired emitter (all the way up to the projector itself).

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-...KW/ref=sr_1_10

Somehow, this is really my first experience and IR blasters and emitters. For future reference, is this how you guys would setup a room? Seems like there should be an affordable one of these:
1. Single-part device or box (no radio) that sits on shelf. Takes in IR and blasts it out into room strongly.
2. A set like this, but the radio-receiver/ir-blaster part emitts a strong IR light in most directions (can reach all other IR controlled devices in a room).

Living Room Home-Theater (Multi-Use Room):
Epson 8350 Projector (1080p @ 96") / Panasonic 850u 46" 1080p Plasma TV
Onkyo TX-sr607 AVR (7.2ch ~ HDMI) ~ Cisco 8742hdc DVR (Spectrum/TWC)
AppleTV-4 (iTunes,Plex,DMA,Vudu) ~ Simple Control HA ~ Panasonic BD60 Blu-Ray Player
Harmony 670 Remote / HTPC (Kodi/Win10-64) Media-Server / Synology DS412+ 16tb Raid-5 NAS
Polk Audio Monitor Series-II CS-2 Center & 60,40 Pairs / PSW-505 12-Inch Sub

Last edited by Tesla1856; 09-16-2017 at 12:46 PM.
post #2095 of 2097 Old 09-17-2017, 03:34 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2393 Post(s)
Liked: 1488
How long before version 5 comes out ?

Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
post #2096 of 2097 Old 09-17-2017, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
How long before version 5 comes out ?
Officially "4th Quarter 2017".

But I heard a rumor from a reliable source that said to look for a release in October 2017.

Living Room Home-Theater (Multi-Use Room):
Epson 8350 Projector (1080p @ 96") / Panasonic 850u 46" 1080p Plasma TV
Onkyo TX-sr607 AVR (7.2ch ~ HDMI) ~ Cisco 8742hdc DVR (Spectrum/TWC)
AppleTV-4 (iTunes,Plex,DMA,Vudu) ~ Simple Control HA ~ Panasonic BD60 Blu-Ray Player
Harmony 670 Remote / HTPC (Kodi/Win10-64) Media-Server / Synology DS412+ 16tb Raid-5 NAS
Polk Audio Monitor Series-II CS-2 Center & 60,40 Pairs / PSW-505 12-Inch Sub
post #2097 of 2097 Old 09-17-2017, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I do not see the DataSat RS20i listed on the Compatibility page of SimpleControls... Does anyone have a file that I can import to get this working?

Thanks.

Sony VW5000 | Stewart 156" Ultramat 150
Datasat RS20i | 3 x MC601 | 1 x MC205 | Oppo 105 | Lumagen Radiance Pro
B&W 800 / HTM 2 Diamonds | 4 x Paradigm ADP3 | 2 x Fathom F212 | 4 x ML Vanquish
D-Box HEMC & 2 x SRP 330 platforms | Synology DS3615xs 12x6TB drives
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Yamaha Rx V2065 Receiver , Tivo , Pioneer Vsx 1021 K 7 1 Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page