post #2101 of 2103 Old 09-22-2017, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by tspotorno View Post
I do not see the DataSat RS20i listed on the Compatibility page of SimpleControls... Does anyone have a file that I can import to get this working?

Thanks.
They seem to be pretty good about keeping that list updated.

I guess I would ask Simple-Control just to be sure. Pretty sure I saw something in the docs about creating custom-IR files.

Living Room Home-Theater (Multi-Use Room):
Epson 8350 Projector (1080p @ 96") / Panasonic 850u 46" 1080p Plasma TV
Onkyo TX-sr607 AVR (7.2ch ~ HDMI) ~ Cisco 8742hdc DVR (Spectrum/TWC)
AppleTV-4 (iTunes,Plex,DMA,Vudu) ~ Simple Control HA ~ Panasonic BD60 Blu-Ray Player
Harmony 670 Remote / HTPC (Kodi/Win10-64) Media-Server / Synology DS412+ 16tb Raid-5 NAS
Polk Audio Monitor Series-II CS-2 Center & 60,40 Pairs / PSW-505 12-Inch Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2102 of 2103 Old 09-22-2017, 09:22 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I was able to create the custom file and now have the Datasat RS20i working with feedbacks.

Sony VW5000 | Stewart 156" Ultramat 150
Datasat RS20i | 3 x MC601 | 1 x MC205 | Oppo 105 | Lumagen Radiance Pro
B&W 800 / HTM 2 Diamonds | 4 x Paradigm ADP3 | 2 x Fathom F212 | 4 x ML Vanquish
D-Box HEMC & 2 x SRP 330 platforms | Synology DS3615xs 12x6TB drives
post #2103 of 2103 Old Yesterday, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Send a message via Yahoo to darfnader Send a message via Skype™ to darfnader
Roomie Remote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post
I heard this was the best (open and most active) Simple-Control forum thread on the Internet Is that true?

It was either this or a new Harmony and Hub. I guess I'm all-in with Simple-Control now.

Simple Control Home, Ethernet Simple-Blaster, Simple Service (24 Devices Total)

Liking the Apple Eco-System

Mac-Mini (Late 2012), AppleTV-4,

iPhone-5s, iPhone-6, iPad-2, iPad-Pro 9.7 & Pencil

And yeah ... I have Windows machines too.

Not sure that I expected from the tiny port#3 blaster on the Simple-Blaster, but i found-out the hard-way that it's not as powerful as the one in the front of my old Harmony 670. The Simple-Blaster would not reach the projector 16-ft in the back of the room.

I had an old (but never-opened) set of these, and they seem to work OK I guess. Although, the blaster-part in the Receiver was pretty weak (positioned in back of room, but wouldn't reach a few feet up), so I had to use the wired emitter (all the way up to the projector itself).

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-...KW/ref=sr_1_10

Somehow, this is really my first experience and IR blasters and emitters. For future reference, is this how you guys would setup a room? Seems like there should be an affordable one of these:

1. Single-part device or box (no radio) that sits on shelf. Takes in IR and blasts it out into room strongly.

2. A set like this, but the radio-receiver/ir-blaster part emitts a strong IR light in most directions (can reach all other IR controlled devices in a room).

I built an entire setup with Roomie (now Simple Control) but the software is super buggy and their support is literally one guy. I had crazy issues where the system kept randomly turning on my TV on its own, not to mention a slew of other bugs and design flaws that support literally denies are a problem. Since I got less and Less help from support, I predictably got so frustrated with the support guy that he stopped talking to me and then basically some faceless employee of the company told me they weren't going to support me anymore because I was "too hostile". It was a bizarre experience and an extraordinary waste of time, not just to spend building a system on a faulty platform, but having to chase around to actually get my money back for the $400 I ended up spending, and that is AFTER I apologized profusely to that one support engineer, after I took down negative reviews, and after having me literally beg them to continue providing me with support in exchange for buying their $220 product bundle. They got me to pull the feedback just so they could release a point release in the App Store to offset all of the other negative feedback they get. (They have 21 point releases for this minor release alone, all of which seem to do nothing more than clear all of their negative feedback from their listing.) Apple is hip to their shenanigans so I don't think they will be on the App Store much longer.

What was worse, I could see the amazing potential of what could be the best universal remote system because they have features that others lack, such as active media guides built into the remote, support for Kodi and Plex, etc... but some of their design decisions they have in between are straight up baffling, deliberately clumsy to program, and prevent you from doing things like saving procedures and therefore sparing you from having to repeat your work over and over. Also, the fact that their documentation is antique and their forums are mostly unanswered posts that are over 3 years old, it's safe to say the product is not supported properly or debugged at any level of acceptability.

Even now I am trying to find a replacement for Simple System and not finding the same feature set, specifically media guides, it makes me all the sadder that the product turned out to be a bust. The potential is obviously incredible, but when it's backed by a company that has as little support as possible, a flagrant disregard for QA, and what can only described as an attitude of contempt for their customers, I'd say use this product at your peril. When you do find yourself getting frustrated when you get the run-around by the SINGLE support engineer, you too might utter an expletive that gets you "banned" and are told by some employee who won't reveal their name that they don't want your business. (Yes, this seriously happened to me. Worse, they wouldn't honor the licenses I had already bought through the App Store, so the best Apple could do for me was refund my money. All the work I put it was for naught.)

So there you go- a true story from an actual user.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by darfnader; Yesterday at 10:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Yamaha Rx V2065 Receiver , Tivo , Pioneer Vsx 1021 K 7 1 Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page