Roomie Remote - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #241 of 1519 Old 02-14-2012, 01:54 AM
Advanced Member
 
keeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wish I knew I could do two blasters via one itach- would have saved me $100.
keeper is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #242 of 1519 Old 02-14-2012, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
krichter1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Chicagoland (Naperville)
Posts: 2,651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott-C View Post

I've done all this; in talks with the developer, it doesn't matter. You can't have an activity like "Adjust Lights" that brings up a panel of lighting buttons, because that Activity will stop the Activity before it (which in turn powers off devices) before starting the new Activity. The only thing you can do is have an activity that activates one scene of lighting - for example - the scene you designate for watching movies - and as long as the "Opens Remote" option is set to "None" and "Automatic Commands" is set to "Off," Roomie will activate that lighting scene without disturbing the current activity...

If you are considering Roomie, I'd recommend it wholeheartedly if you have a standard/basic system that is not unusual in any way. If you have things like masking and multi-zone lighting systems, you may want to wait for version 1.3 and try it out before buying. YMMV, but for me, initial setup of my more standard / basic devices was a snap; I had working remotes and Activities in an hour or so. But, I've been trying to get lighting and masking integrated into my system every night (with lots of communication with Roomie Support) for the last 4 or 5 days and I still do not have what I would consider to be a fully functional Roomie setup. As it currently stands, as of a few minutes ago, I can use it to control everything in my HT except the masking. Until version 1.3 arrives, and assuming it will solve my remaining issues, I have to continue to use my old remote (Universal Remote MX-810) for screen masking.

Before I close, I must point out that Roomie Support is among the most punctual I've ever seen. I've always gotten email responses from them within couple of hours, regardless of the day or time of my transmission. For me, that was wonderful and served to temper my frustration.

I hope this is helpful; please let me know if anyone wants more details.


I've read through this whole thread as I've been seriously considering this Roomie approach for the past couple of weeks over my existing Universal remote solution (all MX-850's in the house including my dedicated theater which Roomie would be used exclusively for), and it sounds like you and I have a similar set-up Chris.

In my theater rack I have a Denon 5308ci (can do IP/IR/RS232), 3 Sony BDP-CX960 400 disc BD changers (no serial only IP/IR), Oppo 93 3DBD player (I believe it can do all three?), DTV HR22 and a TIVO THXS3. I've also got an older Kenwood Sovereign legacy DVD changer solution (I believe the Entre interface to the 3 400 disc DVD's can do RS232 but I have not tried anything but IR here). This all gets routed for IR only though a Xantach distribution block. As well I have a Lutron GrafikEye 4 zone 8 scene installed by the front glass doors (IR only I believe?), and a JVC RS55 3D projector installed on the ceiling.

So Chris . . . with what you've experienced so far would you suggest from an ease perspective going all IR and simply use the interface cable into the Xantach IR system or is there some overwhelming benefit to the IP/Serial solution here. I like the "state" functionality but also want all my buttons to work and it sounds like it's not all quite "there" yet. Would be very interested to hear your (or anyone's), thoughts on the subject because from what I've read so far I conclude that most of the interface issues revolve around non-IR problems (or am I wrong??).

This looks to be a very promising solution but I certainly don't want to add complexity to an already complex theater environment (I'll be keeping most of the IR remotes that slave off of my theater rack for video distribution to other rooms), ecspecially if the IR I already own would provide another rock solid solution using a cooler Roomie interface (albeit for beginners as implied early on).

Thanks in advance!

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


==> The Richter Family 3D Theater  
krichter1 is offline  
post #243 of 1519 Old 02-14-2012, 02:58 PM
Member
 
scarr2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an onkyo TXSR- 805 with a serial connection and an epson 5010 w/ serial and other ir components. I Like the idea of two way feedback. The most economical solution would be to get the GC-100-12 w/ 2 serial built in plus 6xIR. My problem is that the gc100 is older technology and is limited to one connection. Roomie support recommends a ethernet to serial itach for each serial connection but this would require 2 plus the IR2IP itach which would cost about $50 more than the GC100. Any others have thoughts if it is worth the money, pros and cons? Thanks.
scarr2k is offline  
post #244 of 1519 Old 02-14-2012, 04:51 PM
Member
 
arnobarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Another serial option is to consider a Digi Port Server. These can be had for about $50 used on eBay and can talk to 16 devIces. You can set up a Port Server as a proxy for a serial device - and, incidentally allowing multiple simultaneous iOS devices - and receive live feedback. You can also gobble up two ports on the port server and setup a loopback where one port is talking to an IP device (in my case an Onkyo receiver that only allows one IP device at a time and I wanted Roomie setup such that my wife could use it at the same time as me).

The upside of the PortServer is that it is cheap (used) and very, very flexible. Solves both your serial needs as well as pseudo serial setups (devices that are controlled via something like telnet but don't allow multiple simultaneous connections like my Onkyo). The downside is that it isn't for the casual user. There is some good info on how to configure and use the Digi PortServer on the iRule AVSforum thread. You also need to be able to create or find cables (RJ45 to DB9 or DB25) as required. The Digi site has manuals on all the pinouts.
arnobarno is offline  
post #245 of 1519 Old 02-14-2012, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Scott-C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Baltimore Area, But My Heart Belongs to Philly
Posts: 1,259
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

I've read through this whole thread as I've been seriously considering this Roomie approach for the past couple of weeks over my existing Universal remote solution (all MX-850's in the house including my dedicated theater which Roomie would be used exclusively for), and it sounds like you and I have a similar set-up Chris.

In my theater rack I have a Denon 5308ci (can do IP/IR/RS232), 3 Sony BDP-CX960 400 disc BD changers (no serial only IP/IR), Oppo 93 3DBD player (I believe it can do all three?), DTV HR22 and a TIVO THXS3. I've also got an older Kenwood Sovereign legacy DVD changer solution (I believe the Entre interface to the 3 400 disc DVD's can do RS232 but I have not tried anything but IR here). This all gets routed for IR only though a Xantach distribution block. As well I have a Lutron GrafikEye 4 zone 8 scene installed by the front glass doors (IR only I believe?), and a JVC RS55 3D projector installed on the ceiling.

So Chris . . . with what you've experienced so far would you suggest from an ease perspective going all IR and simply use the interface cable into the Xantach IR system or is there some overwhelming benefit to the IP/Serial solution here. I like the "state" functionality but also want all my buttons to work and it sounds like it's not all quite "there" yet. Would be very interested to hear your (or anyone's), thoughts on the subject because from what I've read so far I conclude that most of the interface issues revolve around non-IR problems (or am I wrong??).

This looks to be a very promising solution but I certainly don't want to add complexity to an already complex theater environment (I'll be keeping most of the IR remotes that slave off of my theater rack for video distribution to other rooms), ecspecially if the IR I already own would provide another rock solid solution using a cooler Roomie interface (albeit for beginners as implied early on).

Thanks in advance!

Kevin,

I think your assessment is basically correct. At the moment, v1.3 has solved all of my problems except for one - not all of the surround sound modes function within the non-IR Roomie protocols. I suppose it would function correctly using IR, but I do really appreciate and value the two-way feedback, and don't want to lose it.

Otherwise, Roomie is a very impressive solution.

Thanks,

Scott
Scott-C is offline  
post #246 of 1519 Old 02-14-2012, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
krichter1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Chicagoland (Naperville)
Posts: 2,651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott-C View Post

Kevin,

I think your assessment is basically correct. At the moment, v1.3 has solved all of my problems except for one - not all of the surround sound modes function within the non-IR Roomie protocols. I suppose it would function correctly using IR, but I do really appreciate and value the two-way feedback, and don't want to lose it.

Otherwise, Roomie is a very impressive solution.

Thanks Scott! I'm a novice when it comes to IP/serial communications in the remote world so I assume your saying knowing the state of each device is worth it? Is that more for your macros so that there's no confusion on which devices need to be turned on/off consistently?

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


==> The Richter Family 3D Theater  
krichter1 is offline  
post #247 of 1519 Old 02-15-2012, 08:08 AM
Member
 
scarr2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post


Thanks Scott! I'm a novice when it comes to IP/serial communications in the remote world so I assume your saying knowing the state of each device is worth it? Is that more for your macros so that there's no confusion on which devices need to be turned on/off consistently?

Krichter, in my very limited testing it is very nice having the state of the device. In the roomie app for example it will show the volume of my onkyo, video setting, etc which is invaluable especially if your av gear is tucked away in a closet. Just my 2 cents.
scarr2k is offline  
post #248 of 1519 Old 02-15-2012, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
krichter1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Chicagoland (Naperville)
Posts: 2,651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarr2k View Post

Krichter, in my very limited testing it is very nice having the state of the device. In the roomie app for example it will show the volume of my onkyo, video setting, etc which is invaluable especially if your av gear is tucked away in a closet. Just my 2 cents.

I really like that ability (definitely!), but what makes me nervous is all the other issues with certain surround modes not working, or DirecTv buttons not right on the page etc...

If the predominent feeling in this group of "serial killers" is that this is the only way to go and it has performed consistently (without being "buggie"), then I'm all in! I just didn't get that sense after reading through this thread and for me I'd rather have all my functions of each piece work as intended than have a cool state for the one's that are supported (but not 100%).

Last question would be to the serial guys that also do not have 100% of their devices with an RS232 output. What do you guys do there (some are on the serial controller and the others use IR or IP if possible?) Just don't wanna spend more than I need here.

Thanks!

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


==> The Richter Family 3D Theater  
krichter1 is offline  
post #249 of 1519 Old 02-15-2012, 09:41 AM
Member
 
scarr2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I picked up a GC-100-12 on Amazon because it has 2 serial ports and 6 IR ports. But when I contacted Roomie support they recommended the iTach ethernet to serial for EACH serial device then a separate IR unit. This of course would mean I would be spending about $50 bucks more to have the same functionality as the GC100. They also said the GC100 is older technology and doesn't have the newer technology (which they did not elaborate) and it does have the limitation of only one control unit instead of multiple devices accessing it. I'm still undecided on what to do, but I do know that I want serial connection for at least my Receiver and probably projector.


The IR units (IR2IP or wifi) have usually 3 ports one of which can be an IR Blaster port that can send signals at a further distance possibly controlling your entire rack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

I really like that ability (definitely!), but what makes me nervous is all the other issues with certain surround modes not working, or DirecTv buttons not right on the page etc...

If the predominent feeling in this group of "serial killers" is that this is the only way to go and it has performed consistently (without being "buggie"), then I'm all in! I just didn't get that sense after reading through this thread and for me I'd rather have all my functions of each piece work as intended than have a cool state for the one's that are supported (but not 100%).

Last question would be to the serial guys that also do not have 100% of their devices with an RS232 output. What do you guys do there (some are on the serial controller and the others use IR or IP if possible?) Just don't wanna spend more than I need here.

Thanks!

scarr2k is offline  
post #250 of 1519 Old 02-15-2012, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
krichter1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Chicagoland (Naperville)
Posts: 2,651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I think it would be a really cool addition if somehow Roomie would add in support for this little device (Global Cache GC-IRL IR Learner ) for IR devices in your system that you wanted to add in on an Ad-Hoc basis and somehow use that dropbox feature to include the new device.

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


==> The Richter Family 3D Theater  
krichter1 is offline  
post #251 of 1519 Old 02-15-2012, 01:29 PM
Member
 
pdeacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: MD
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Acer 9500bd projector control

I have been checking out various options but so far I think I am leaning towards roomie.

The acer has rs232 so assume serial control is possible but would have to set up all commands myself- I am total noob on this subject so was hoping that someone else may also in the same boat. I have no clue about network protocols so if some one could point me to a version for dummies that would be great

Also as it has an Ethernet port perhaps control via ip may also be possible? This would be the absolute most convenient as I have already run a cat5 cable to the pj

With all that being said would having two way communication with the projector be worth it. I know for my pioneer receiver it will be as control has always been flakey via IR using my harmony one but perhaps the projector IR would be just fine

Any thoughts?
pdeacon is offline  
post #252 of 1519 Old 02-15-2012, 05:41 PM
Senior Member
 
kelmk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

I think it would be a really cool addition if somehow Roomie would add in support for this little device (Global Cache GC-IRL IR Learner ) for IR devices in your system that you wanted to add in on an Ad-Hoc basis and somehow use that dropbox feature to include the new device.

You can do this with the Global-Cache IP2IR devices
kelmk is offline  
post #253 of 1519 Old 02-15-2012, 05:47 PM
Senior Member
 
kelmk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You will have to find the spec sheet for your projector that has the serial commands listed. I just set this up with my Panasonic AE7000 yesterday.
Using the roomie supplied template from their FAQ section it's really easy to add custom devices.
Roomie currently doesn't support custom device feedback but I've been told they're working on it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by pdeacon View Post

Acer 9500bd projector control

I have been checking out various options but so far I think I am leaning towards roomie.

The acer has rs232 so assume serial control is possible but would have to set up all commands myself- I am total noob on this subject so was hoping that someone else may also in the same boat. I have no clue about network protocols so if some one could point me to a version for dummies that would be great

Also as it has an Ethernet port perhaps control via ip may also be possible? This would be the absolute most convenient as I have already run a cat5 cable to the pj

With all that being said would having two way communication with the projector be worth it. I know for my pioneer receiver it will be as control has always been flakey via IR using my harmony one but perhaps the projector IR would be just fine

Any thoughts?

kelmk is offline  
post #254 of 1519 Old 02-15-2012, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
krichter1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Chicagoland (Naperville)
Posts: 2,651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmk View Post

You can do this with the Global-Cache IP2IR devices

I'm a techie by trade and feel most of the time I know a thing or two about HT (after building three of them in 15 years), but I must say I feel like a real noob with this stuff, (wish Roomie would put out some sample connectivity schematics or something). I just can't seem to wrap my head around all this to even know what to buy. I want to pull the trigger but I ain't got no bullets (and don't even know which ones fit my gun!).


Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


==> The Richter Family 3D Theater  
krichter1 is offline  
post #255 of 1519 Old 02-16-2012, 03:24 AM
Member
 
Geordie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Australia
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post


I want to pull the trigger but I ain't got no bullets (and don't even know which ones fit my gun!).


That's because Roomie is keeping the documentation bullets to itself but I'm pretty sure they are ending up in its foot LOL
Geordie is offline  
post #256 of 1519 Old 02-16-2012, 08:50 PM
Member
 
jc111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Timonium, MD
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys

I am a Roomie novice and after checking out iRule and some other apps decided on Roomie. Received my iTach WiFi2IR today and connected to my Apple TV, XBox360, Onkyo Receiver and Epson 6010 projector.

Everything works well with no issues. My previous setup included a URC MX-900 with a MRF-250 box for my hidden components and I also installed the URC Lighting dimmer.

My installer programmed several macros with the lighting and I would love to retain the functionality if possible. When I start a movie the lights dim, when I pause, the lights go on, etc.

What are best options for a dimmer switch to work with Roomie? Can it work with my URC switch (I think it is RF).

Your help would be appreciated.
Johan

Kind regards
Johan
jc111 is offline  
post #257 of 1519 Old 02-16-2012, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Scott-C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Baltimore Area, But My Heart Belongs to Philly
Posts: 1,259
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarr2k View Post

Krichter, in my very limited testing it is very nice having the state of the device. In the roomie app for example it will show the volume of my onkyo, video setting, etc which is invaluable especially if your av gear is tucked away in a closet. Just my 2 cents.

I agree completely. My equipment is in a separate room, and I am just neurotic enough that prior to having Roomie, I was always jumping up at the beginning of movies to ensure the proper surround sound mode was selected. Roomie's feedback feature has buried that problem.

I also realized I have a solution to my surround sound buttons not working using the IP protocol of my Denon AVR-4810CI. I use an IP2IR upstream of my MRF-350 IR distribution blocks. I never disconnected the IR output cable from the MRF-350 to the Denon. So, I just added it as an IR-based device, and using version 1.3 of Roomie, added each surround sound button to my custom remote configuration. Problem solved...

I did notice that I was unable to utilize the "Collapse Commands" option to add a button that, when pushed, provides a list of surround sound options. I can't tell if this is a bug in Roomie, but no commands register. So, I had to put individual buttons on the remote.

Thanks,

Scott
Scott-C is offline  
post #258 of 1519 Old 02-16-2012, 09:27 PM
Senior Member
 
kelmk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The collapse button is very counter intuitive and I've been talking to Roomie support about it.
Apparently the only thing it does is create a button for remote codes that already exist on your device with the same prefix. So if you made a collapse button named INPUT, it would group all the default codes starting with INPUT. There is no way to have it group arbitrary custom buttons or group remote codes from a different device. Say you want to have all the inputs for your receiver grouped but on a different devices remote. That doesn't work. Hopefully the next version will have something more useful.

I do the same thing with some of my devices. The IP control doesn't have discrete commands for on off and just a toggle so I end up using IR for those commands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott-C View Post

I agree completely. My equipment is in a separate room, and I am just neurotic enough that prior to having Roomie, I was always jumping up at the beginning of movies to ensure the proper surround sound mode was selected. Roomie's feedback feature has buried that problem.

I also realized I have a solution to my surround sound buttons not working using the IP protocol of my Denon AVR-4810CI. I use an IP2IR upstream of my MRF-350 IR distribution blocks. I never disconnected the IR output cable from the MRF-350 to the Denon. So, I just added it as an IR-based device, and using version 1.3 of Roomie, added each surround sound button to my custom remote configuration. Problem solved...

I did notice that I was unable to utilize the "Collapse Commands" option to add a button that, when pushed, provides a list of surround sound options. I can't tell if this is a bug in Roomie, but no commands register. So, I had to put individual buttons on the remote.

kelmk is offline  
post #259 of 1519 Old 02-16-2012, 09:28 PM
Senior Member
 
kelmk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Roomie support several lighting systems. You should email support and see if they work with yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc111 View Post

Hi Guys

I am a Roomie novice and after checking out iRule and some other apps decided on Roomie. Received my iTach WiFi2IR today and connected to my Apple TV, XBox360, Onkyo Receiver and Epson 6010 projector.

Everything works well with no issues. My previous setup included a URC MX-900 with a MRF-250 box for my hidden components and I also installed the URC Lighting dimmer.

My installer programmed several macros with the lighting and I would love to retain the functionality if possible. When I start a movie the lights dim, when I pause, the lights go on, etc.

What are best options for a dimmer switch to work with Roomie? Can it work with my URC switch (I think it is RF).

Your help would be appreciated.
Johan

kelmk is offline  
post #260 of 1519 Old 02-17-2012, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Scott-C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Baltimore Area, But My Heart Belongs to Philly
Posts: 1,259
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmk View Post

The collapse button is very counter intuitive and I've been talking to Roomie support about it.
Apparently the only thing it does is create a button for remote codes that already exist on your device with the same prefix. So if you made a collapse button named INPUT, it would group all the default codes starting with INPUT. There is no way to have it group arbitrary custom buttons or group remote codes from a different device. Say you want to have all the inputs for your receiver grouped but on a different devices remote. That doesn't work. Hopefully the next version will have something more useful.

I do the same thing with some of my devices. The IP control doesn't have discrete commands for on off and just a toggle so I end up using IR for those commands.

Ah, that's good to know. I was trying to group commands that have the same prefix, but I was trying to put them on the IP-based device page even though they were commands from the IR-based device (of the same name). From what you are saying, it sounds like the Collapse command would have worked if the commands I was trying to group originated from the IP-based device page (in addition to having the same prefix).

Hopefully this function will be more useful in the near future - Roomie has already come very far in a short period of time.

Thanks,

Scott
Scott-C is offline  
post #261 of 1519 Old 02-17-2012, 12:19 PM
Senior Member
 
kelmk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please send a message to Roomie support and let them know that's is confusing and should work differently. I'm not sure they get it. The more people that chime in will hopefully get it implemented faster.
kelmk is offline  
post #262 of 1519 Old 02-17-2012, 05:36 PM
DGF
Senior Member
 
DGF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Los Gatos, CA
Posts: 485
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

I think it would be a really cool addition if somehow Roomie would add in support for this little device (Global Cache GC-IRL IR Learner ) for IR devices in your system that you wanted to add in on an Ad-Hoc basis and somehow use that dropbox feature to include the new device.

I read your post and kelmk's response, and it reminded me that I had an old USB IR transmitter/receiver from a long since expired HTPC - the device, a USB-UIRT, attaches to a PC via USB and comes with a simple utility to capture/display IR codes.

I have a few obscure pieces of equipment in my setup (like a home built IR control device for my screen masking system) - it was really easy to squirt the remote at the receiver, then cut & paste the hex code into the Roomie "RoomieCodes" file using "pList Editor" (freeware XML editor). I then uploaded the file to my DropBox and restored the new config to my iTouch. Took under five minutes and everything worked like a charm!

[FWIW, the USB-UIRT is still available and sells for about $50 - Google it if interested. Usual disclaimers on any affiliation with the site.]

I now need to get my head around how Roomie determines button layout on the various remotes, but getting the IR codes nailed was a major step forward.

I know that I sound like a broken record here, but I'd love to see more documentation from Roomie (in any format) that pulls back the curtain just a little bit more. I feel like I'm bumbling around a lot trying to understand the logic behind how things work and how to achieve what I want - the collapse button logic is a great case in point (thanks for the info kelmk).

Anyway, I'm definitely making forward progress and I excited with what I've achieved so far.

Dave
DGF is offline  
post #263 of 1519 Old 02-18-2012, 11:47 AM
Senior Member
 
Sodbuster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Blaine, WA USA
Posts: 345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, I nearly have DemoPad working, and now have decided to explore Roomie. The web page shows support for many components, including all the ones I want to control...so I purchased the additional IR pack. However no new devices showed up. Then I discovered I could control only 2 components, so I bought the $20 add-on....still no new components. How do I find anything not on the short list?

Bill Bunker
Sodbuster is offline  
post #264 of 1519 Old 02-18-2012, 12:08 PM
DGF
Senior Member
 
DGF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Los Gatos, CA
Posts: 485
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodbuster View Post

Ok, I nearly have DemoPad working, and now have decided to explore Roomie. The web page shows support for many components, including all the ones I want to control...so I purchased the additional IR pack. However no new devices showed up. Then I discovered I could control only 2 components, so I bought the $20 add-on....still no new components. How do I find anything not on the short list?

You didn't mention it in your post, but are the devices you're expecting to see listed going to be controlled using IR? If so, you have to go through a physically present controller (like Global Cache, for example) - only then do you see 'behind the curtain' and get shown the multitude of possible devices.

Most of my devices require IR control, and I feel that not having the capability to develop a working system 'offline' (i.e. not having the controller present and accessible) is a pain. There have been occasions when I've been travelling that would have been perfect to work on my Roomie config, but the app currently doesn't support doing this. To be fair, I mentioned my frustrations to the Roomie support guys and they thought it would be a good function to add in a later release....so we shall see.
DGF is offline  
post #265 of 1519 Old 02-18-2012, 04:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Sodbuster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Blaine, WA USA
Posts: 345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodbuster View Post

Ok, I nearly have DemoPad working, and now have decided to explore Roomie. The web page shows support for many components, including all the ones I want to control...so I purchased the additional IR pack. However no new devices showed up. Then I discovered I could control only 2 components, so I bought the $20 add-on....still no new components. How do I find anything not on the short list?

Ok...the above was written before I ever tried the app at home..once within range of the iTach WF2IR device all was made clear.

Bill Bunker
Sodbuster is offline  
post #266 of 1519 Old 02-18-2012, 05:10 PM
DGF
Senior Member
 
DGF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Los Gatos, CA
Posts: 485
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodbuster View Post

Ok...the above was written before I ever tried the app at home..once within range of the iTach WF2IR device all was made clear.

That's cool.

As an aside, I'd be interested to hear your perspectives on how Roomie compares with DemoPad once you've had chance to play with it.
DGF is offline  
post #267 of 1519 Old 02-19-2012, 01:09 PM
Senior Member
 
donatelloa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Lake Placid, NY
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can not get iLearn to learn the UP DOWN screen function. I have a Seymour AV electric screen that I would love to command with my Roomie. any thoughts on how to get this to work? I have found a few screens located in the AUX when trying to add device. Is iLearn my only option?

Stagecoach Theater is DONE!
donatelloa is offline  
post #268 of 1519 Old 02-19-2012, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Hampton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 6,856
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Can Roomie Remote control my itunes audio server?

I have a fairly simple HT which has a Blu Ray player, AVR, and Projector.

I also use my phone to open itunes "remote" program and listen to all my CDs from a hard drive on a macbook on the network. (This macbook is attached to the AVR via Optical.)

If I can't integrate the itunes server with Roomie then I'll have to go with one of the other options which is much harder to learn.

It's not a matter of training the IR or something either. The Itunes Remote program shows me cover art and stuff.

I don't see any mention of Roomie being compatable with Apple Itunes servers.

-Brian

Edit - I see on the roomie facebook page this is a "major" feature they are "considering" focusing on in the future so ... no, it won't work at least yet. Grrrrr....
Brian Hampton is online now  
post #269 of 1519 Old 02-19-2012, 05:57 PM
DGF
Senior Member
 
DGF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Los Gatos, CA
Posts: 485
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by donatelloa View Post

I can not get iLearn to learn the UP DOWN screen function. I have a Seymour AV electric screen that I would love to command with my Roomie. any thoughts on how to get this to work? I have found a few screens located in the AUX when trying to add device. Is iLearn my only option?

I had a quick look at RemoteCentral and couldn't see anything specific for Seymour, but there were many other motorized screen codesets that might be applicable if you had the patience to try some out.

I did find some codes on a Seymour site (non-US?):

http://www.s-se.us/technical.asp

....but am not sure if they relate to your particular model.

If you can find the right codes, it is pretty easy to cut & paste them into your Roomie config

Dave
DGF is offline  
post #270 of 1519 Old 02-19-2012, 07:19 PM
Member
 
jayworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
First hit in Google. Codes are right there on their main site in Excel in exactly the format Roomie accepts:

http://www.seymourav.com/screensretractable.asp
jayworth is offline  
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Yamaha Rx V2065 Receiver , Tivo , Pioneer Vsx 1021 K 7 1 Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V2065 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off