Roomie Remote - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1487 Old 08-25-2011, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter
d7n

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone tried out Roomie Remote for iOS? It looks nice, but pretty new. I'm interested in a lot of what it seems to provide, but curious to get impressions from people that have already tried it. I'm especially curious about the two-way feedback with my receiver (Yamaha RX-V2065).

Dave

-----------
Yamaha RX-V2065 Receiver
Sony KDL-46XBR3 TV
TiVo Series 3
PS3
Mac Mini
WD TV Live
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1487 Old 09-04-2011, 12:47 PM

Interested in this too. I wonder how it compares to iRule or RedEye. I'm mainly interested in controlling two rooms with a television, with all AV equipment in a centralized media cabinet. Both TV areas will have bi-directional IR via a HDBaseT balun.
post #3 of 1487 Old 09-04-2011, 04:10 PM

Isn't this the same idea as FLPR but with a far more slick app interface?
post #4 of 1487 Old 09-04-2011, 06:58 PM

No, it's more like iRule, but it takes advantage of IP controls (with some 2-way info), along with RS232 and IR (uses iTach like iRule). It seems to be new, being out for less than a month. Looks promising. I've picked up an iTach to give it a try - worst case scenario, I head to iRule.
post #5 of 1487 Old 09-10-2011, 11:37 AM

I just got this set up last night, and it's a fantastic product. Worked flawlessly. After upgrading my iPad to iOS 4.3.5, I was up and running within 10mins.

Plugged in my Global Cache iTach IP2IR into power and to my router, slapped the IR emitters on the front of my receiver and television. Installed the Roomie app from the iTunes AppStore for $9.99, it downloaded the device library, I set up a "Room", added my devices, it detected the IP2IR without a hitch, chose the IR port the emitters were on, chose my devices. Then I set up the "Activities", which are the macros.

Bam, it worked on the first shot, AS EXPECTED, no surprises. The only issues I had were with setting up the timings accordingly with my slow LG television. I set up a few activities (some cool ones like setting it up for my BlackBerry Playbook playback, and my laptop).

I can't wait to push the app a bit more as I dive deeper into lighting controls, and once I'm in the new house with multiple rooms with a centralized AV closet.

So far, Roomie is my dream app, and it's only been out a few days! Well thought out, great UI, simple macro settings, and it's cheap (no need for desktop applications). It doesn't let you customize the look of my buttons, but I don't really care about that anyways.

Try it!
post #6 of 1487 Old 09-16-2011, 08:53 PM

Liked: 11
Waiting for delivery of an itach unit but I have tested it with both a denon 1912 and Pioneer 1021. Works exactly as you would expect. Very prompt and complete answers to tech questions by email as well as some helpful suggestions on setup where equipment and TV are separated.

update: Now have itach unit connected. Everything works as it should. Use it with a Motorola cable box, Samsung plasma, Apple TV and Pioneer 1021 and a denon 1912 in another room. Pretty effortless. Only complaint is my older motorola cable box only accepts power toggle rather than discrete on/off commands. Warning - if you have roomie on multiple devices and multiple ip-devices, you should exit and close app before trying to do setups on the other - seems to confuse the list of commands available.
post #7 of 1487 Old 09-19-2011, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter
d7n

I did actually buy Roomie after my last message and I couldn't agree with previous posters more. This feels like an app I've wanted for a while now. I think what makes the difference for me is that it's got everything right there in the app making it easy to configure and the interface is really nice.

The TiVo and receiver both worked immediately over the network. I have to say getting two way feedback and volume control of my Yamaha without actually doing anything other than tapping the receiver was darn slick. Sony TV, PS3 (with a Logitech adapter), and the Mac Mini are controlled via the IP2IR. Currently using Remote Buddy on the Mac (for Plex, Pandora, and misc. Mac stuff). Support says they have an XMBC control file to insert into Roomie which should take care of controlling Plex.

Dave
post #8 of 1487 Old 10-13-2011, 12:21 PM

Dave & Thusenth: Thanks for your write ups. I'm also very interested in this app. I don't mean to sound cynical but could you both confirm that you're not affiliated with the company in any way. (I know, I know, it's paranoid. But I'm seen some crazy brazen stuff recently on other forums). Thanks!
post #9 of 1487 Old 10-15-2011, 05:15 PM

Nope, not affiliated in any way. You can Google my username, and follow up on my LinkedIn. Just get really excited over good products.

On another note, I've decided to go with a Plex front-end on a Mac Mini and Roomie Remote detected Plex right away. I also inherited an iPod touch, and was able to get Roomie Remote set up using the DropBox integration (it saves the setting files into DropBox).

Once I'm in the new place in the new year, I'll comment on how well it works for lighting and in multi-room situations.
post #10 of 1487 Old 10-16-2011, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
d7n

I have no affiliation. I did contact their support back when I wrote that message though requesting native Plex support so I don't need the overly complicated Remote Buddy <--> Plex setup. Now that it's here, I'm even more satisfied than I was before.
post #11 of 1487 Old 10-16-2011, 05:33 PM

Thanks guys. I also purchased the app and an iTach for my set up in a new room. Configuring it wasn't completely brainless (like Sonos) but I figured it out pretty quickly.

I'm hoping the developer will continue expanding their database. For example, while the program found my Panny BDT-210 over the network, the stored commands do not include discrete on/off commands. I know they're available. From what I've read on the Roomie web site I think there's a way I could do it, but I'm not sure how easy it'll be.

I'm also hoping to find a way to integrate my Lutron RadioRa 2 lighting. I know it probably can't be done directly, but perhaps through my HAI controller.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with Roomie. I'll contiue fooling around with the app and adding macros and then turn it over to the wife and kids for the ultimate test. If all goes well, I might even experiment with letting Roomie run my "Movie Room" and perhaps ultimate ditch my URC MX880!

BTW, here's what I've got the Roomie controlling in my new room:

Pioneer VSX-31 (via IR. The VSX has trouble connecting to the LAN when you've got several switches between it and the router. I may buy an iTach RS232 controller and do it that way if I feel the nees)
Panasonic BDT210 (via IP)
Cisco/SA 8300HD Cable Box (via IR)
Panasonic ST30 (This will be by IR. I need to run an IR emitter from the iTach to the Panny which is wall mounted).
post #12 of 1487 Old 10-19-2011, 08:51 PM

UPDATE:

Been using Roomie for a few days now, and I'm liking it more and more. Once I adjusted my macros (very easy), the system works very well. I had my installer run an emitter to my wall-mounted Panny TV. I had the TV added to my system and my macros by the time he was finished tie-wrapping the emitter cable. He was blown away.

I've also added my son's XBox but haven't fooled around with it yet.

I love the Drop Box linkage. I took an old iPod Touch and within two minutes had a backup remote! Amazing.

Finally, I have to give props to the developers. They are very responsive. I had a question about integrating my Lutron lighting; they got back to me promptly. Good news: Adding that functionality is, indeed, on their to-do list. If they can pull that off . . .wow.

Long story short, Roomie Remote is a very capable package that rivals the best apps out there but is far more user-friendly.
post #13 of 1487 Old 10-24-2011, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Is anyone here experienced with iRule to make a comparison or choose a clear winner?

My sincere thanks to everyone who makes AVSforum such an awesome resource.
post #14 of 1487 Old 10-25-2011, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have to say this seems to be a very Impresive App!

I have only worked with it for a couple of hours but having used irule, harmony etc.. I like it!!!!

Will post back latter after I finish constructing and testing my system.

Rew
post #15 of 1487 Old 10-25-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregF View Post

Is anyone here experienced with iRule to make a comparison or choose a clear winner?

I have/do use iRule and also Demopad.
Just downloaded Roomie and wasted $10 IMHO.
The $10 download only allows you to control 2 IP devices in a single room, to control IR and multiple devices will cost you an additional $27.
To be fair I new this before buying so it wasn't a shock.

The program did find my IP devices which is a major advantage for a novice.
I selected my Onkyo Receiver and Boxee as the two devices that it would control and continued to define an activity to control and this where issues came in.
First the input definitions do not match the input names for all of the Onkyo inputs instead have Video 1, 2 etc. instead of Cable/Sat, DVR that are used on The Onkyo. Not a big deal but would confuse many and there is no way to customize.

Next the Boxee, Roomie will not control it at all, I'm sure it is a port issue, but once again Roomie does not give any way to see the port let alone edit it.

In summary Roomie seems to be trying to emulate the Logitech Harmony approach to iPad remote control, which could be good thing. Anyone looking for that type of approach may want to give Roomie a try, but expect some issues.

From my point of view either Demopad or iRule are much better choices. At the moment Demopad is my app of choice as it allows for far greater customization and does not have to be static like iRule. However that is a matter of choice and your requirements as iRule also has some very positive aspects.
post #16 of 1487 Old 10-27-2011, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
FWIW my Boxee Box came right up in Roomie, and it did work.

I didn't even know other apps had problems with Panasonic Blu-ray players until the recent threads, but that was my primary reason for looking at Roomie. The sliding elapsed/completion time bar and network control of the Panasonic Blu-ray 210 player in Roomie is pretty slick. Good luck getting that with apps that use generic buttons.
post #17 of 1487 Old 10-28-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayworth View Post

The sliding elapsed/completion time bar and network control of the Panasonic Blu-ray 210 player in Roomie is pretty slick. Good luck getting that with apps that use generic buttons.

Agreed! Now we just need a couple extra discreet commands and it'll be perfect. (What's interesting is that the command set for my Panny plasma has discreet on/off, but the BD-210 command set does not.)
post #18 of 1487 Old 10-29-2011, 12:32 PM

The big advantage that roomie has over the other apps is the tv guide. Having one built in is a must for me. I currently have the Griffin Beacon / Dijit combo, and it's not very good. Eats batteries, you have to find a good spot for it, and the Dijit apps is sub-par with weak customization possibilities. Since Roomie has a guide, I'm going to try that one with a WF2IR.

David
post #19 of 1487 Old 10-31-2011, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Which device is best for this? The IP2IR, assuming I have ethernet connectivity by my home theater devices? Can this thing hit a rack of components and the TV on the wall about 3 feet away? I'm a total newbie at this.

My sincere thanks to everyone who makes AVSforum such an awesome resource.
post #20 of 1487 Old 11-01-2011, 07:22 AM

Waiting for an itach. Can you rearrange buttons on the screen ? Also can you use an ir cable directly plugged in to the ir port on the back of a receiver instead of using a blaster ? Thanks for any info guys !
post #21 of 1487 Old 11-01-2011, 10:13 AM

I found the iLean.exe application and built a file with some older IR hardware. Now what do I do with the file? I'm also not sure the format I have is good enough for the Roomie to understand. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark
post #22 of 1487 Old 11-02-2011, 05:22 AM

Just downloaded the app. I have an Integra 50.1, however roomie can't see it. It can see my iTach. When I manually add the ip address it adds it but I can't control it. I use I rule as well and it can see it (only pointing out that there is not a fault with the Integra). Any hints?
Also, is there a way to customize the device names as well as to move the buttons around?
post #23 of 1487 Old 11-03-2011, 11:28 PM

Well, Roomie just released an update to include the Integra models. Haven't tried yet but will do so when I get home.
post #24 of 1487 Old 11-08-2011, 05:48 PM

I have been a long time iRule user, tried Demopad, and others but recently began using the Roomie app. (including being in the beta program)

I must say for all of the hours I have put into iRule I never had something that was as easy to work as the remote made with Roomie. I was able to create 3 rooms with all devices working in under 15 minutes. (including 2 way feedback from my Onkyo receiver) - It was also all programmed on the remote.

The application is easy enough to use for my wife and with the advanced features of the beta release of 1.2.x it only gets better.

Roomie is not for the person that wants to tweak everything but is great for someone that wants a remote that works and has a roadmap of features that are coming on a daily basis.

I guess I am tired of waiting for iRule to deliver. I like what they are doing and will continue to watch but after almost a year of waiting I prefer to have something my family can actually use vs. me just playing.

If you have not looked at it then add it to your list!

Kevin
post #25 of 1487 Old 11-08-2011, 10:28 PM

How do I get on the beta?
post #26 of 1487 Old 11-09-2011, 02:11 AM

I too am using roomie. Tried Harmony Link and it was terrible. Had 2 rooms up and running in less than 15 min. I would like to try the beta but was denied as I haven't used the product long enough.... Arrrgh.

PS: THAT is the only negative ! AWESOME product and highly recommended.
post #27 of 1487 Old 11-09-2011, 10:37 AM

I just downloaded Roomie and my Global Cache iTach is coming today. Looking forward to testing it out.
post #28 of 1487 Old 11-11-2011, 01:18 PM

Got in on the beta program... even better
post #29 of 1487 Old 11-12-2011, 03:54 AM

How did you get in on the beta? I'd love to get in.

I got mine hooked up yesterday, and it couldn't be any easier. Easier than all my Harmony remotes.

Tom
post #30 of 1487 Old 11-12-2011, 04:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasandkrs View Post

How did you get in on the beta? I'd love to get in.

I got mine hooked up yesterday, and it couldn't be any easier. Easier than all my Harmony remotes.

Tom

Send a email to Roomie support with your list of AV equipment and which units you will use for the remotes; ipad, iphone ie.....

I agree the more you use this one the better you like it!

I started with the Pronto remotes years ago but always wanted more real estate for the controls.

Got iRule almost a year ago got their basic template to somewhat working but found the learning cuve tedious at best. Nothing wrong with iRule just more time then I wanted to invest.

Looked at DemoPad seems a bit like iRule but builder app is on your machine, I like that better but again a learning curve.

But Roomie gets you up and running quickly and with graphics which are quite elegant. You get feedback controls on RS232 and IP controlled devices right out of the box.

It would seem that the future of Roomie looks real good for customization of layout and graphics.

Just somethings that I have found really neat!

Just my 2cents
Rew
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Yamaha Rx V2065 Receiver , Tivo , Pioneer Vsx 1021 K 7 1 Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V2065 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page