My Harmony 360 remote is on its last legs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 09-07-2011, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
More and more buttons have stopped working. I've opened it up but no amount of cleaning, poking, or prodding seems to work.

I have to bite the bullet and buy a new remote. But Harmony seems to have greatly jacked up their prices while removing features. I paid $60-70 for this remote a few years ago and it controls 12 devices and has a million buttons plus screen. Looking at the Harmony site, I now have to spend $200 to get a device that controls 15 devices; otherwise, I'm looking at 5-6 devices, which is not going to cut it -- I need a bare minimum of 7. I need to control a projector, a tv, two receivers, 360, PC (mimicking an MCE keyboard), Comcast cable box, and no doubt something else I'm forgetting right now.

Suggestions? I do like having the 360 buttons because they work well for the 360 and for Comcast remote features (onDemand, Guide, etc). I want to spend under $100. The Harmony One refurb for $125 could conceivably be tempting but with all the problems I've had with this remote (and other Logitech products), a 90-day warranty isn't going to do it for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-08-2011, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 167
FYI, you can use code "logi_h1_9711" for $25 off the Harmony One refurb to bring the price down to $99.99. But yea, you would still own a Harmony remote with a 90 day warranty.

post #3 of 11 Old 09-08-2011, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I'm just a bit baffled as to how a 12-device remote with configurable soft keys, activities, and 43 hard keys completely customizable per activity was only $60 or so five years ago and now there seems to be NOTHING as powerful for anything close to that price.

Anyone have any experience with this Philips? http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Presti.../dp/B003DNS88W
post #4 of 11 Old 09-09-2011, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It seems like even the pricier ones like the URC R50 don't do what this Harmony did.

I need true Activities, not just Device macros. I have two displays and all the same devices going to each, so I need complete control over what is turned on and what every button does for each Activity. For example, I need one activity for "HTPC - tv" and one for "HTPC - projector", along with "cable - tv" and "cable - projector", with all the corresponding devices, inputs, and keys set up for each.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-09-2011, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 167
If you are trying to stay under $100 you are going to have trouble replacing a Harmony's features. With a Harmony you are trying features for build quality. They do a lot, but should be considered disposable.

You could grab a Monster AVL300 for cheap which has the guts of a Harmony 890 and has RF. The Acoustic Research remotes are also a pretty good value.

post #6 of 11 Old 09-09-2011, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 284
+1 on the Acoustic Research. I replaced my 360 with this 18 device remote for less than $70. It's similar to harmony in many ways minus device state tracking. On the plus side it has no macro limitations.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-09-2011, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That's definitely in the running. My three candidates right now, along with the best prices (some allow me to use deal points gained at another site to reduce the price) are:

Philips Prestigo 6008 $18

Xsight Touch $56

URC R50 $61

Monster AVL300 - $54 -- thanks for the tip on the Monster

It's tough to decide since the manuals either aren't available or are trash.

I guess it's the dual displays that are the problem. Everything but Harmony seems device-based, but an activity based on, say "cable tv" just doesn't cut it because I need to be able to watch it on tv or on projector. I guess a workaround is duplicating the cable box device and setting one cable "device" for tv and one for cable, for example.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-11-2011, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
FYI, I received an email from Logitech for 50% off a single item. I have been given a supposedly unique coupon code. I have decided not to purchase anything with it so I will give it to the first person that PM's me (expires 9/14/2011). BTW, the 50% off seems to work for the new remotes but not the refurbs.

Jay
post #9 of 11 Old 09-12-2011, 09:13 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerndl View Post

FYI, I received an email from Logitech for 50% off a single item. I have been given a supposedly unique coupon code. I have decided not to purchase anything with it so I will give it to the first person that PM's me (expires 9/14/2011). BTW, the 50% off seems to work for the new remotes but not the refurbs.

Jay

Nor does it work with the Logitech Revue which has recently been reduced to $100.

Vin
post #10 of 11 Old 09-19-2011, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Gonna go with the Monster. Familiar Logitech-ish software, packed-in RF, etc made it the one for me. Came down to this or the URC R50, I'd probably be happy with either.
post #11 of 11 Old 09-23-2011, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Got it today. Same old hassles with Logitech software, but it does everything I need it to. I don't miss the colored buttons really. And it's nice having 8 configurable soft buttons per page as opposed to the Logitech 360's four. RF is nice too although I don't need it at the moment.

Thanks to bryansj for the tip.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page