Anyone remember the Core CL9 Remote? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 09-12-2011, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Back in the 80's, there was a universal remote called the Core CL9. Steve Wozniak was the creator of this beast. Back then, it retailed for about $300 (which was a lot back then for a remote). I worked in a shop and we sold these units.

To me, even up to today, this was the best remote ever made. It fit your hand like a glove. Very few buttons, but could do something like 256 functions. You could hook it up to your computer via serial port and do all kinds of programming.

The company never took off and closed. The problem was that it was too complicated for the average person. A company by the name of Celadon bought them out. They used the Core CL9 for commercial purposes, mainly for GE MRI machines. They did support the Core users by performing upgrades. But many years ago, they stopped producing these.

I've had it with these Harmonys and the rest of the remotes out there today. After the Core CL9, nothing holds up quite as well.

McIntosh MX-119 Pre/Pro
Oppo BDP-105 Blu-Ray
Spectron Premiere MKII 7 Channel Class D Amp (500w x 7)
5 Anthony Gallo Reference 3.5 Speakers
Sunfire Super JR Subwoofer
Sony Z2 Series laptop as dedicated HTPC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-17-2011, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had one of these. I think your nostalgia is a bit in overdrive.

I don't recall it being PC programmable. Perhaps it was, but I never had software or a cable to connect it to a PC. I'm doubtful that it was PC programmable as I can't imagine myself not taking advantage of that.

It had 16 programmable buttons labeled 0 through f. (Don't tell me a nerd didn't come up with that.) You could also switch among 16 "pages" each of which assigned different functions to the buttons. I think you would hit a "Page" button and then one of the 0-f buttons to select the current page. So there were a total of 256 different functions. Some programming techniques required "hidden" buttons (buttons that you would never actually press), so generally you might dedicate a page or two to hidden buttons.

It had an arcane macro language that you used to program it. One of the most powerful features of this was that a macro could reprogram other buttons. I don't recall if a button could have both raw IR codes and a macro. I kind of recall that it was best to program the raw IR codes onto buttons on hidden pages and then create macros that would invoke those buttons.

As disenchanted as I have become with Harmony, I'd take a Harmony over a Core any day.
post #3 of 14 Old 09-17-2011, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

I stand corrected on the PC programmability. It must have been out of my price range.
post #4 of 14 Old 09-17-2011, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
CORE? Why haven't u say so! IT IS PC PROGRAMMABLE.

I my friend, still have 4 of those in WORKING condition. Let the bid begin!

I had bought one in the early 90s, used it until the plastic buttons broke. I loved it so much that I kept looking for a replacement on eBay. Lo and behold one day some guy offered to sell 4, and I immediately grabbed them. Didn't pay that much either.

The CORE is the programmer's (geek) dream. I have all the software, and the special PC interface cable, original manuals. Very few remotes even today give you TIMERS, every button programmable, you can reprogram a button on the fly like a computer which allows between other things program TOGGLES, press once for on, push again for off. The TIMER is powerful, allowing fixed timing function: i.e. Turn on Light 6:00 p.m. OR relative TIMER: At trigger, wait 20 seconds, then turn on light, which between other things allows function like: Turn on radio 6:00 a.m. at low volume, then every 30 seconds turn up the volume a bit more, then 30 seconds later turn it up some more. POWERFUL.

It's not my main remote because (1) I don't want to wear it out, (2) My Pronto's graphic icon screen spoils me.

But CORE is a programmer's remote for sure, 'cause programmers don't need labels!

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #5 of 14 Old 09-17-2011, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I'm just glad there are others who remember this remote. I miss mine tremendously. My friend has two new in the box, but refuses to sell as he thinks these are gonna be museum pieces someday.

The programming capability beats any remote out there today...and I still stand by this statement. The nice thing was that when friends came over, no one knew how to operate it. I was always in full control. The serial interface was great. I remember B&O equipment was hard to capture, so the company sent me the codes on disc (3 1/2 floppy) and I loaded them and it worked great. The timer functionality was outstanding, specially since DVR's weren't around back then.

Core went under because this remote was just too difficult to program for the average user. It was definitely meant for the programmer and the enthusiast.

If I find another one someday, I'll buy it in a snap!

McIntosh MX-119 Pre/Pro
Oppo BDP-105 Blu-Ray
Spectron Premiere MKII 7 Channel Class D Amp (500w x 7)
5 Anthony Gallo Reference 3.5 Speakers
Sunfire Super JR Subwoofer
Sony Z2 Series laptop as dedicated HTPC
post #6 of 14 Old 09-18-2011, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah, the timers were great. It was my alarm clock for several years.
post #7 of 14 Old 09-18-2011, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Most of people reading this thread are going... What are these geezers talking about?

post #8 of 14 Old 09-27-2011, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post

Most of people reading this thread are going... What are these geezers talking about?

This is nuts. I was thinking about the CORE remotes 2 days ago, and here is a post about it!
One thing that I remember about it was that it's IR emitter was so strong, I swear it could blast thru brick walls!
Seriously, we programmed it a little to work with the NEC tv's in our store just to play around a bit, and we could turn them on from 120 feet away, pointing it at the OPPOSITE WALL!
The manual (can you believe it? an actual MANUAL!) was HUGE!
I found this link:
http://www.ktronicslc.com/core.html
post #9 of 14 Old 09-28-2011, 03:25 AM

I think, perhaps a bit ahead of its time?
Also if you think about the actual activities (watch or listen to something, turn a light on/off) they are quite simple. Why would anyone (and especially at that time) go into such a trouble?
I am wondering, was there an installer's business around that product?

And another afterthought: Is is the fate of ground breaking systems to end up in ashes? (e.g. the Philips Pronto line of products?)
post #10 of 14 Old 09-29-2011, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apapanto View Post

And another afterthought: Is is the fate of ground breaking systems to end up in ashes? (e.g. the Philips Pronto line of products?)

The nice looking Prontos are just too darned expensive.

Have used a Pronto Neo for 10 yrs, can be had currently in eBay for a song. A few times now I have wanted to replace this black&white remote with a color touch screen but I can't find one with the right ergonomic. Give me a Neo Plus with a color, higher resolution screen, a little thinner perhaps, a TIMER! then it will be perfect.

post #11 of 14 Old 09-30-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post

A few times now I have wanted to replace this black&white remote with a color touch screen but I can't find one with the right ergonomic. Give me a Neo Plus with a color, higher resolution screen, a little thinner perhaps, a TIMER! then it will be perfect.

I was wondering...
I am using a (humble) Samsung Wave 723 mobile phone as one of my remotes for remoteX4. This device has decent touch screen, Wi-Fi and web browser. Now imagine stripping it of its phone features (that should bring its cost even more) and adding it to the upper part of a bar with the lower part being standard, physical remote keys. How much a thing like that would cost? How would this compare with the remote touch from Savantv?
I am wondering...
post #12 of 14 Old 11-01-2011, 08:51 PM

I have 6 CORE remotes 3 that work. One of the 3 non working is a PIC200 the 2nd gen CORE .Right now I have one hooked up to a tiny htpc. I use a mimo 7 inch touch screen to control it. I can also access it over the net from my android phone. This works great for those days you forget to set a recording it also allows me to boot my other pcs remotely. I love CORE I also own a MX3000 never use CORE timers much easier to set.
post #13 of 14 Old 12-13-2012, 08:57 AM

Hi.

I have one of these CL-9's and need to find out how to use it.

Anyone help with where I could find a manual online?

Thanks.
post #14 of 14 Old 07-03-2014, 07:10 PM

Liked: 0
I still have one of these remotes. I even have the original box that it came in.

If you have one of these chances are it doesn't work anymore.
Years ago I purchased the serial cable and the software to restore the
key definitions. You have to do this once the lithium battery has gone bad.

If you have questions about the remote......Reply here.
I have all the original manuals and program info.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page