Official Logitech Harmony Link Thread (Android & iOS Remote) - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-10-2011, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I purchased the Logitech Link last week and it is replacing my Harmony 1100. So far for me it's an improvement over the 1100. Its response with my equipment including the Lutron Spacer remote dimmer is quicker with less hesitation on the commands. The Link is located on my audio rack and was having trouble responding with my Tivo and XBOX. Once I connected the mini blaster that is included with the Link it took care of that. I have been using the Harmony 1100 with the RF unit for about 2 years. For the most part the Harmony 1100 has always worked but with hick ups like rolling volume and missing commands on shut down or turn on of my components. The link so far has not had any of those issues. The only complaint I have is the application for the link on the Ipad. Logitech will really need to improve this. They need to have more customized activities and devices.

However if you already own an ipad or iphone and want to use them as universal remotes and can be patient on getting updated software from Logitech, you might want to consider the Link.

I am happy that I did..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2011, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by phansson View Post

I just started a "suggestions" thread over at Harmony. Hopefully we they will not take it down. Go ahead and post your suggestions!

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Harmon...nk/td-p/706706

I added my thoughts over there (Hammie023).
Old 10-11-2011, 12:25 PM

Does anyone know if the app can control an avr's zone 2, zone 3 functions?
Old 10-11-2011, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammie View Post

I added my thoughts over there (Hammie023).

A lot of posts in that thread! It would be nice if we could get Logitech to read it now....
Old 10-11-2011, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Engadget review here: http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/11/l...y-link-review/

"Like most Harmony products from Logitech, the hardware is fantastic and the software leaves a lot to be desired. Sure, it's easy to program and get up and running, but going outside the box even a little isn't something we'd recommend trying. Combine that with an inability to customize the button layout, no gesture control on the iPad version and the bare-bones touchscreen features, and we can think of other IR-to-WiFi bridges that might be a better option. If all you need is the basics and love how simple MyHarmony.com is to use, then this is still the missing-IR-link for you, but anyone looking for the next great thing in home theater control can keep looking."

Old 10-14-2011, 07:19 PM

Well I posted a few days ago about my experience with the iPhone software. Yep iPhone software was an afterthought. Now that I have the iPad up and running I can tell you I really like the setup. I also Jane the harmony 900 running thru rf and there is a lot less delay with the link. Worth the 100 bucks
Old 10-18-2011, 05:19 AM

Bought the link last week. Works great EXCEPT the guide is terrible.It seems like it's constantly updating due to the fact that it only goives you a half hour view of shows. Also when yo scroll thru channels the data is not all there ! it is refreshing data as you scroll. Really zaps the battery life on an ipad. My return and get a Griffin Beacon. No problems withe any equipment working. App needs work !
Old 10-18-2011, 10:45 AM

Hi,

I just purchased a Harmony Link for use with an iPad. I have been able to set everything up successfully with the exception of my Roku XDS. None of the buttons required for functionality either work or are present. The three most important are:

- OK. Present but does not function.
- Home. Not present.
- Back. Not present.

Anyone have any ideas how to make this work? The Roku XDS works fine and has the correct buttons for my Harmony 1000 but not the Link.

Don
Old 10-21-2011, 09:47 AM

Took my LINK back. The guide stinks, the remote controls on the edge of the guide disappear randomly and it drains the battery big time. Going to try the beacon instead. The app just needs to much work at this point.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:15 PM

FWIW, I also took mine back, simply because the app needs major work before being a practical replacement for my Harmony One.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:42 PM

I agree. I have an H1 also... Can't compare ! Software is a joke.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Hi folks, thanks for the feedback in this thread. I know it seems the consensus is not ready for primetime but going to give it a whirl.

I have been considering an ipad so went ahead and ordered on-line at Best Buy along with the Link. Gonna give it a try as I would have bought the ipad anyway and I guess todays the day.

I am slightly different I guess as I have had several high-end harmony remotes and I always have issues eventually. Either I start having issues with the charging cradles or something else happens. I end up tossing them in a drawer and I have spent a fair amount on three remotes. I am one wanting to move away from their hardware.

I hope that even if not perfect they will continue with software updates to make it better. As a couple of others have stated I have easily paid more than $100 for HT gear. It won't be the end of the world if I can at least control my gear. I just want to turn everything on. Change channels and control volume. Nothing fancy.

My Arcam blu-ray remote is horrible so any improvement on the ipad will help I hope (Arcam-tiny buttons. Not in typical spots compared to other mfgs etc). I always need to turn on a light to use it at night.

I only need to control Tivo, CD player, TV, Pre-Pro, blu-ray. Should be fine.

I also want to add the Netflix, Tivo and Comcast Infinity apps to the ipad. I hope this really does take my home theater to another level. Tired of going to my laptop (big 17 inch monitor-can't just lay back on couch and surf. Too big) to load Netflix downloads. Now can have it all in one place on the smaller ipad.

I will let you know later what I think. Going to pick up now.

Rick

Old 10-23-2011, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SoftDome View Post

Hi folks, thanks for the feedback in this thread. I know it seems the consensus is not ready for primetime but going to give it a whirl.

I have been considering an ipad so went ahead and ordered on-line at Best Buy along with the Link. Gonna give it a try as I would have bought the ipad anyway and I guess todays the day.

I am slightly different I guess as I have had several high-end harmony remotes and I always have issues eventually. Either I start having issues with the charging cradles or something else happens. I end up tossing them in a drawer and I have spent a fair amount on three remotes. I am one wanting to move away from their hardware.

I hope that even if not perfect they will continue with software updates to make it better. As a couple of others have stated I have easily paid more than $100 for HT gear. It won't be the end of the world if I can at least control my gear. I just want to turn everything on. Change channels and control volume. Nothing fancy.

My Arcam blu-ray remote is horrible so any improvement on the ipad will help I hope (Arcam-tiny buttons. Not in typical spots compared to other mfgs etc). I always need to turn on a light to use it at night.

I only need to control Tivo, CD player, TV, Pre-Pro, blu-ray. Should be fine.

I also want to add the Netflix, Tivo and Comcast Infinity apps to the ipad. I hope this really does take my home theater to another level. Tired of going to my laptop (big 17 inch monitor-can't just lay back on couch and surf. Too big) to load Netflix downloads. Now can have it all in one place on the smaller ipad.

I will let you know later what I think. Going to pick up now.

Rick

If you're happy with the Harmony system overall, my recommendation is to ignore the current lineup of "high end" Harmony remotes, and instead go to the older models. Forget charging cradles, touch screens and rechargeable remotes, just get the simpler older models (I like the 659 and 670 best) and use plain, easy to replace rechargeable batteries. (or even alkalines)

There's nothing the newer remotes do that the older remotes don't do just as well, except have more complicated interfaces and more fragile electronics.

The older models pop up all the time on eBay, CHEAP.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Well I picked up the link and ipad today and can't get passed go
It can't find my network (not in the list even after I have refreshed 20 times) and when I try to enter my SSID manually it can't find it either.. Ugh

Tech Support closed so I guess will wait till Monday unless someone has any ideas...

Every wireless device connects easily in my home. This is the first time I have had an issue. Like old times with Logitech?

Love the iPad!!

Rick

Old 10-26-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbarar View Post

Hi,

I just purchased a Harmony Link for use with an iPad. I have been able to set everything up successfully with the exception of my Roku XDS. None of the buttons required for functionality either work or are present. The three most important are:

- OK. Present but does not function.
- Home. Not present.
- Back. Not present.

Anyone have any ideas how to make this work? The Roku XDS works fine and has the correct buttons for my Harmony 1000 but not the Link.

Don

Customer service from Logitech is absolutely abysmal. The phone support technician did not understand my problem and offered a solution that was not what I was seeking. Customer service from eMail support goes unanswered. Posting to Logitech forums goes unanswered.

If Logitech can not resolve before my 30 days return at BestBuy expire I am taking back the Link and the iPad.

The Logitech Link sucks.

Don
Old 10-26-2011, 06:42 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbarar View Post

Customer service from Logitech is absolutely abysmal. The phone support technician did not understand my problem and offered a solution that was not what I was seeking. Customer service from eMail support goes unanswered. Posting to Logitech forums goes unanswered.

If Logitech can not resolve before my 30 days return at BestBuy expire I am taking back the Link and the iPad.

The Logitech Link sucks.

Don

I had high hopes for the Link, but the reviews have shown that it's a bust. Return it tomorrow, but keep the iPad!
Old 10-26-2011, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Keep the iPad and return the Link. There are other solutions for the iPad such as iRule.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:37 PM

Now I have really had it with the Logitech Link. Thought that I would give telephone customer service one more try. Waited 40 minutes on hold and them telling me try eMail support (did but they do not answer messages) or forums (but they do not answer these either). In any case I finally got someone to answer the telephone. But they immediately hung up and could not speak to anyone.

The Link goes back tomorrow.

Read on this thread about the Griffin Beacon. Has anyone tried this product?
Old 11-01-2011, 08:40 AM

I have the beacon.. it works ok but it is slow sending commands. Going to try the roomie remote with itach. Looks very impressive.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

After finally getting around to running IR emitters to each component, the Link is extremely fast and hasn't missed a beat with my current components.

I would still like to see some changes,

1. option for power up/down sequence.
2. option for turning off the "tv guide".
3. option for adding some buttons.
4. option for a darker screen.

This has the potential to be great, it just hasn't gotten there yet......
Old 11-15-2011, 04:19 PM

[quote=dgbarar;21131402
The Logitech Link sucks.
[/QUOTE]

Took the first one back. Waited a week and decided to purchase another unit. This one actually works very well with all of my components: Sony XBR4, Pioneer SC07, Sony BDP350, Roku XDS, and a Motorola Cable Box/Recorder.

I also use the Link to set system up my system for streaming of music to my Logitech Squeezebox Duet. It would be great if I could see the Duet interface on my iPad.

I think I and others may have sold this product short. I am now a satisfied customer.

Don
Old 11-21-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:

I think I and others may have sold this product short. I am now a satisfied customer.

Not so fast. Have run into a new problem. Components are recognized under certain activities. If I select watch TV, then I can get the receiver to respond to individual commands. If I select watch blu-ray, all components are set-up properly, but I can not get the individual components to work properly with out first priming the pump by holding the IR blaster in front of the unit. Then I return the Link to it's original position and all works fine. Very odd.

Don
Old 11-27-2011, 10:41 PM

FWIW, I have the link and use it with my samsung tv, HTPC, onkyo receiver, and TiVo and it works GREAT! could use a better guide and some customizable buttons though. But for $99, I think it's well worth it for an entry level universal remote.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discotech View Post

FWIW, I have the link and use it with my samsung tv, HTPC, onkyo receiver, and TiVo and it works GREAT! could use a better guide and some customizable buttons though. But for $99, I think it's well worth it for an entry level universal remote.

While I love the potential, at this point in the device's development I'd rather spend $55 on a Harmony 650 at Costco, which is far more flexible in setup, and doesn't require unlocking my iPad every time I want to change the volume.

It's a fun add-on to an existing universal remote, but if it's truly your first (and only) universal remote, IMO, you'd be better served by other options.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:05 AM

New update available in App store, and Android market. App is supposed to allow some customization now. Getting hopeful, hope they get android tablet support going soon.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Looks like a big change! Looking forward to trying it out tonight!
Old 12-17-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:

Looks like a big change! Looking forward to trying it out tonight!

I can't figure out how to customize my screens and/or buttons with the update. Am I missing something? Help
Old 12-17-2011, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaydoun View Post

I can't figure out how to customize my screens and/or buttons with the update. Am I missing something? Help

I can't either, the "pics of the app" on the apple store make it look like a full screen remote. Maybe you have to do the customization online and then download it to the iPad????
Old 12-17-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:

I can't either, the "pics of the app" on the apple store make it look like a full screen remote. Maybe you have to do the customization online and then download it to the iPad????

I tried logging into the MyHarmony.com site and doing it there and no luck. I did notice that I could customize the app on my iPhone. Maybe this customization update is only good for the iPhone app?!?!? Very frustrating.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:49 AM

Was just informed via the Harmony Forum that the customization update is not yet available for the iPad. Frustrating.

Tags
Logitech 915 000144 Harmony Link