Official Logitech Harmony Link Thread (Android & iOS Remote) - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 149 Old 12-18-2011, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has anyone been able to customize the IPhone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 149 Old 12-18-2011, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I figured out how to customize the iPhone. Hopefully Logitech will get iPad to work soon.
post #123 of 149 Old 12-18-2011, 11:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD MAN View Post

I figured out how to customize the iPhone. Hopefully Logitech will get iPad to work soon.

Agreed.

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
post #124 of 149 Old 12-18-2011, 11:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

Keep the iPad and return the Link. There are other solutions for the iPad such as iRule.

Working with iRule and my iPad 2 now.

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
post #125 of 149 Old 12-27-2011, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
... but no cigar.

I got this for my wife for Christmas as a present from the dog, (to avoid the usual criticism that I get her stuff that I want).

This was my first logitech remote, so I had no expectations, one way or the other.

I was actually pleasantly surprised by the ease of set-up, and the ability to accommodate non-canonical "activities".

The deal-breaker, for me, seems to be that there is no way to tweak the start-up time for devices. For example, most activities require powering on my TV followed by issuing a command to change the input on the TV. (Maybe most people do this with their receiver, but I don't.) The switch code is issued too soon after power-up, and there is no way that I have found (and I spent a considerable amount of time looking) to introduce or extend the required delay. (I don't have a physical harmony remote, but I take it this is a common issue and there are standard ways to address it.)

There are other annoyances too, such as the software occasionally forgets key mappings.
post #126 of 149 Old 12-27-2011, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Assuming the wizards are similar across the remotes, online, in the troubleshooting area there is an option to add delays between commands (button pushes). Harmony/Logitech does themselves and customers a disservice but burying it inside a few levels deep within the troubleshooting area. An option to add a delay in the main setup wizard would be very welcome.

Build Thread: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
post #127 of 149 Old 12-27-2011, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

Assuming the wizards are similar across the remotes, online, in the troubleshooting area there is an option to add delays between commands (button pushes). Harmony/Logitech does themselves and customers a disservice but burying it inside a few levels deep within the troubleshooting area. An option to add a delay in the main setup wizard would be very welcome.

As I understand it, the "wizards" are (basically) the same across the "traditional" Harmony remotes, but the Link uses an entirely different setup routine, and MANY of the options available for tweaking the regular remotes just aren't available.
post #128 of 149 Old 12-28-2011, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

That would be an incorrect assumption. Logitech seems to be using only the myharmony.com website for setup. That site doesn't allow for the changes in timing. Remotes such as the 200, 300, and Link can only use that site and not the software setup package. Being in the same company as the 200 and 300 isn't something to be proud of. Simply allowing the Link to use the software package would solve 90% of its limitations.

I'm curious to see if their next "flagship" remote will use only the myharmony.com site.

post #129 of 149 Old 12-29-2011, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
post #130 of 149 Old 01-28-2012, 02:12 PM

Liked: 18
Can this be controlled by multiple phones at the same time? Also is there any security to stop someone in the house next door from issuing commands to my device?

I am looking for a solution and so far I dislike any universal remotes. But this could be worth it if any of us or even guests could use their phones to control items.
post #131 of 149 Old 02-01-2012, 10:06 AM

Liked: 12
So I bought the Link and finally set it up last night. I really like it and it was very easy to set up. I do have two questions though:

1) Can I change the power on/off command for my TV (and other components) to use discreet on/off codes when powering up/down rather than the toggle code?

2) Is there a way to adjust the system to not ask me to re-enter the password to log into the link if I have not used my iPhone as a remote for an hour or when I switch from the iPad to iPhone and vice/versa. It does not require the password all the time when I switch but sometimes it does for some reason.
post #132 of 149 Old 02-02-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavenLei View Post

So I bought the Link and finally set it up last night. I really like it and it was very easy to set up. I do have two questions though:

1) Can I change the power on/off command for my TV (and other components) to use discreet on/off codes when powering up/down rather than the toggle code?

2) Is there a way to adjust the system to not ask me to re-enter the password to log into the link if I have not used my iPhone as a remote for an hour or when I switch from the iPad to iPhone and vice/versa. It does not require the password all the time when I switch but sometimes it does for some reason.

So remote is still not working (can't connect with iPad or iPhone). Called support and was told they are doing a system update and nobody can connect right now and it will be 2-3 more hours. I have owned this unit for three days and have not been able to use it for two of those three days. When it worked, it was great. Not a good experience so far.
Not sure why they require a connection to their servers every time you use the remote. I guess they are mining all the user activity so they can sell it to advertisers, etc. on what people are doing maybe?
I hope a smart hacker does not hold them hostage and demand millions of dollars from them or he/she/them will unleash a DNS attack on their server and make all their link products useless for who knows how long.

Bad design on their part. They should have the commands data stored on the iPad/iPhone so if the login connection times out, it will just refer to the current status of the commands to not cause 'reliability' issues with customers.
post #133 of 149 Old 02-02-2012, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

1. Yes. You just need to dig around in the settings for the activity and select the specific on and off keys instead of power toggle.

2. Don't know.

post #134 of 149 Old 02-02-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:

1. Yes. You just need to dig around in the settings for the activity and select the specific on and off keys instead of power toggle.

2. Don't know.

Perfect, thanks. I will try once the Logitech servers are back up.
post #135 of 149 Old 02-03-2012, 05:22 AM

Get roomie remote ! A thousand times better than a link. Very easy to set up and customize.
post #136 of 149 Old 02-06-2012, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #137 of 149 Old 02-06-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:

Did this happen to anyone?
http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/05/s...a-paperweight/

Pretty much everyone!

They just need to have a timeout routine in contacting the server and use existing remote settings if server contact is not established. If that is put into place, this will not happen other than if you are trying to force the link to update any changes you may have made on myharmony.com.
post #138 of 149 Old 05-10-2012, 12:07 PM

So does anyone have any information if Logitech is still developing anything for this product or does it seem like they have abandoned putting any dollars into developing the software any further?
post #139 of 149 Old 05-10-2012, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

So does anyone have any information if Logitech is still developing anything for this product or does it seem like they have abandoned putting any dollars into developing the software any further?

You can go to the official web site and check out the forum. I have not seen any updates in a while though!
post #140 of 149 Old 05-10-2012, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Logitech reported some pretty bad losses recently. I have a feeling they are going to be focussing on their new products a lot more (the new Harmoney remote and Apple accessories come to mind). With flops like the Revue, the Link, migrating to myharmony.com, I don't really blame them. Have you ever tried to call support? I've called 4 times in a week span and the phone was never answered. I got fed up and just sold the product to cut my losses.
post #141 of 149 Old 06-10-2012, 10:19 PM

But still there's no way to turn on my HTPC from the remote/android-galaxy tab!
post #142 of 149 Old 01-03-2013, 04:34 AM

Does anyone know if connecting an emitter to both emitter outputs disables the Link itself from emitting IR? I tried this last night. While both emitters worked, it seemed like the Link itself was no longer blasting IR. I need the Link to blast in addition to the external emitters.

I'm also wondering if this is a power output issue. Right now I have the emitter that came with the Link on one output, and a two headed emitter on the other. If I go to a single cable with three or four emitters, thereby only using one jack, I wonder if the Link itself will still emit? It seems odd that simply using both jacks disables IR on the Link itself.
post #143 of 149 Old 01-28-2013, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Has this improved a lot since it first came out? I have seen a lot of negative reviews. Still buggy?

Kaboom.
post #144 of 149 Old 01-28-2013, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut4772 View Post

Has this improved a lot since it first came out? I have seen a lot of negative reviews. Still buggy?

I would avoid it at all costs.

post #145 of 149 Old 01-28-2013, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

I would avoid it at all costs.

Especially after the news of Logitech looking to get rid of the Harmony business. The Link has had very little support(I am an early adopter) from Logitech and it depends on myharmony.com, nobody knows how all of this will play out.

I would look into other alternatives if I were you, unless you get one for $10:rolleyes: and consider the link a bonus that came with your new ir extenders.

Krakhen

post #146 of 149 Old 01-28-2013, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krakhen View Post

Especially after the news of Logitech looking to get rid of the Harmony business. The Link has had very little support(I am an early adopter) from Logitech and it depends on myharmony.com, nobody knows how all of this will play out.

I would look into other alternatives if I were you, unless you get one for $10:rolleyes: and consider the link a bonus that came with your new ir extenders.

Not only do you rely on support from myharmony.com, but you have to rely on Logitech to keep up with any changes to iOS and Android OS that my need them to update that software as well.
krakhen likes this.

post #147 of 149 Old 08-27-2013, 03:25 AM

has anybody ever tried to find out if it's possible to hook an IR receiver to Harmony Link? I would like to use it with my Harmoy One Remote Controller but I can't find any info on that...
post #148 of 149 Old 08-27-2013, 12:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkinek View Post

has anybody ever tried to find out if it's possible to hook an IR receiver to Harmony Link? I would like to use it with my Harmoy One Remote Controller but I can't find any info on that...
No, that isn't possible.
post #149 of 149 Old 09-10-2014, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 298
I briefly considered this as a solution to my aging 890, then read this thread, see it's last post is 2013, 1 year ago.
Conclusion: this remote is dead, glad I did not buy one.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech 915 000144 Harmony Link

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page