upcoming TouchSquid remote control (Android-based tablet) - thoughts/opinions? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 131 Old 03-18-2012, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys... this is perhaps a stupid question...but for those that are using the remote...

How do you wake up the remote? Is it motion based, or do you hit the home button like on an ipad?

Then, when it is awake, do you have to unlock it like an iPad and does it go right to the remote control app?

Thanks!! I am just trying to understand the user flow...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 131 Old 03-18-2012, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahambr View Post

Hey guys... this is perhaps a stupid question...but for those that are using the remote...

How do you wake up the remote? Is it motion based, or do you hit the home button like on an ipad?

Then, when it is awake, do you have to unlock it like an iPad and does it go right to the remote control app?

Thanks!! I am just trying to understand the user flow...

Not a stupid question! It goes into Standby in two ways that I can think of...

If you are not using the TSR app (and the tablet has gone into Standby mode): Whether being charged or not, you either hit the main power/standby button on the left side or the Home soft-key near the top right corner, and this should wake up the remote to the lock screen. Drag the lock icon upwards to unlock and you should now be at the main home screen. From there you'd select the TSR app, or whatever else you want to do (internet, settings, contacts, etc.). To be honest, my tablet sometimes seems to have trouble waking up from this standby mode, but not sure if I'm pressing the buttons too quickly, or too slowly, or...

If you are using the TSR app: At some point after your last screen-press while in the remote app, it will go into a "pseudo-standby" mode where the screen will darken (but not turn completely off) and a time/date stamp will appear. This will stay on until one of two things happen - you press the screen to "wake" it back up into the TSR app...OR...the battery would eventually die if you never touch the screen. This "pseudo-standby" mode does use more battery than if the tablet was in a true standby mode, and I've suggested to TouchSquid that they try to utilize the built-in accelerometer (if even possible) to turn off the display and wake up on either a screen-press or tilting the tablet (like Harmony remotes). Hopefully they are able to incorporate something better (battery-saving-wise) in the next big App update.

FWIW, I'm also using the App with a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 and Tab 7.0 Plus (and a Global Cache WF2IR since the Tabs do not support IR capabilities via the App). See this thread for more info. The Tabs seem a operate a bit more stable than the TSR remote, as I occasionally still get the Force Close errors on the TSR. But I am doing a lot on it, jumping between the remote app, web surfing, button programming, etc. I'll assume the Samsung Tabs have better processors than the TSR remote, though maybe a TSR Gen2 remote is in the near future with better guts. But I'm starting to prefer the Tab as it's easier to switch between running apps, such as the remote app and Xfinity TV app from the Andriod Market (which I cannot successfully root the TSR tablet yet).

I hope the above helps!

still one of my favorite bumper stickers of all time...

FREE TIBET! *
* with purchase of equal or lesser Tibet
post #93 of 131 Old 03-19-2012, 10:37 AM

Thank you so much for the reply...I think I get it now. Do you know how long the battery lasts with the app running and not using it? Is it like hours...or days?

Im just trying to decide between this or the harmony 900. I have heard horror stories that the 900's rf sucks and that is what i am experiencing now with my AR Insight remote.

The other thing that I am concerned with, with the tablet is that it wont be as quick to use...for example, with a regular remote, it is easy with one hand to use it... I dont think that will be the case for a tablet. And to be honest, if you have to unlock the tablet, execute an app, then wait for it to load..it wont get used. So I would need to use it in the "Standby" mode. BUT...I LOVE THE WIFI portion as that will eliminate my RF issues....

Hmmm...

What are your thoughts with this compared to the Harmony 900, 1100?
post #94 of 131 Old 03-22-2012, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahambr View Post

Thank you so much for the reply...I think I get it now. Do you know how long the battery lasts with the app running and not using it? Is it like hours...or days?

It lasts thru an evening's use, with the time/date standby mode automatically occurring. Remember it's just a tap of the screen to get back into the remote app.

If we'll be watching a show for a while, I'll put the tablet back on the charging stand which is right next to the couch. Plus since it operates via WiFi (not IR), it doesn't matter where the remote is pointing. Also nice that it sends commands while charging, unlike the Harmony remotes (One and 1100 that I know of).

I'm still having occasional incidents where the battery does not seem to charge while on the charging stand. The red light is on like it is charging, but the battery will definitely not be charging. There is a firmware update for the TSR tablet that's supposed to correct this, so I need to update my tablet to see if that solves the problem.

From my comparison to the Samsung Tab 8.9, the Sam seems to have a better battery life than the TSR, and is easier to wake from regular standby mode (if the TSR app is not active).
Quote:

Im just trying to decide between this or the harmony 900. I have heard horror stories that the 900's rf sucks and that is what i am experiencing now with my AR Insight remote.

I've never owned a 900 so cannot make comparisons. We do have the 1100 downstairs and have been very happy with it. The only equipment utilizing the RF-to-IR blaster is the Lutron Maestro IR dimmer switches, and works just fine with them. Well, the 1100 now feels somewhat like a small toy after using the bigger and slightly heavier tablets... I'm preferring the Sam's bigger 8.9" screen over the TSR's 7" screen, but mostly when using other apps such as web browsing, email, AVS app (of course!), etc. But for remote control use, the 7" screen is probably the better size as it makes the overall remote size itself just right...IMO.

Quote:

The other thing that I am concerned with, with the tablet is that it wont be as quick to use...for example, with a regular remote, it is easy with one hand to use it... I dont think that will be the case for a tablet. And to be honest, if you have to unlock the tablet, execute an app, then wait for it to load..it wont get used. So I would need to use it in the "Standby" mode. BUT...I LOVE THE WIFI portion as that will eliminate my RF issues....

When you first start up your AV system fresh and the tablet has been unused and in "regular" standby mode, you'll need to do the multiple steps as described earlier. However, once you are in the remote app and it goes into it's "pseudo" standby mode (time/date stamp), it's just a quick tap of the screen to awaken back into the remote app. I hope you understand that it's not as time consuming as I think you might be fearing...

Quote:

What are your thoughts with this compared to the Harmony 900, 1100?

I really like(d) the 1100 for our "bigger and better" system downstairs (60" Kuro, 5.1, huge sub, controlled lighting, Berkline seating), but will eventually replace it with a dedicated Android tablet running the TSR app. The TSR app is just so, so, SO much more customizable and the screen quality is miles ahead compared to the Harmony. I do like the 1100's minimal hard buttons which makes it easy to operate without looking at it, but you can't have everything...

Using the TSR remote and Sam 8.9 on our "daily use" system upstairs (40" LCD, 3.1, regular couch and chairs) has really been great, esp. when I want to check email, sports scores, satisfy an Amazon fix, etc. Plus with the Xfinity TV app on the Sam 8.9, just makes the system that much more fun to use...

still one of my favorite bumper stickers of all time...

FREE TIBET! *
* with purchase of equal or lesser Tibet
post #95 of 131 Old 04-21-2012, 07:19 AM

What is the range of the Touch Squid Remote?
post #96 of 131 Old 04-22-2012, 07:31 PM

After just a bit of searching both on this forum and on google, it seems like this is one of the only options for those looking for IP-based remote control functionality... How is that even possible? How are remotes so unbelievably behind the curve here? The advantages to IP communication for remote functionality are too great to ignore.

And forgive my ignorance since I've just glanced through the thread, but on the topic of this remote, is it even released yet? Sounds like it's not.

I really wish that all mainstream UR manufacturers would support this kind of functionality, though. There's just no excuse for it anymore. A universal remote from Logitech, for example, with IPC and traditional buttons with tactile feedback would be awesome.
post #97 of 131 Old 04-22-2012, 08:27 PM

Liked: 11
Yep it is released.

There is also a software download ( after purchase ) that you can use on any tablet to work with a iTach.

I use a Asus Transformer to run my setup.

Works great and for the most part you are only limited by your imagination.

They have a big update coming for using other control devices as well.

-Robert
post #98 of 131 Old 04-23-2012, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketGuy3 View Post

After just a bit of searching both on this forum and on google, it seems like this is one of the only options for those looking for IP-based remote control functionality... How is that even possible? How are remotes so unbelievably behind the curve here?

Err, don't know how its possible but your 'searching' missed quite a few options, with a couple that have huge threads on this site alone. Maybe try again.
post #99 of 131 Old 05-04-2012, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
I'm pleased to announce that the TouchSquid icon database is up and accessible from the home page http://www.iconharmony.com. I'm also now taking channel requests from users.
Thanks to TS for the test remote and to user mak99 for getting the initial set initiated.
,RC

follow icon updates, av & remote info on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #100 of 131 Old 05-14-2012, 06:51 AM

At TouchSquid central we have just obtained a Samsung Tab 2 with built in IR. We have figured out how it works and will soon have a Samsung specific version of our app which will work with the built in IR on the Samsung. ETA about June 12 012.
post #101 of 131 Old 07-09-2012, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hi TS Central. I'm using the TS Pro for Android on a Galaxy 2 Tablet, and it's working well. My family can actually use the home theater now!

I have three comments. I noticed that the database does not include the "back" button command for Roku box. Can you please add that to the next upgrade?

Also, does Touchsquid support the ability to do a smooth ramp up or ramp down in volume with a long click of a button? It is very cumbersome to change volume one click and half a dB at a time. Maybe it's just a setting issue?

Lastly, I see a bunch more channel icons that were placed in my tablets gallery. How do I install them in the TS Pro database? They don't seem to appear when I am working on adding favorites. Am I missing something?

Fine Music, Movies, Wine, and Friends - A Life Well Lived!
post #102 of 131 Old 07-11-2012, 09:50 AM

These issues have been dealt with via private email.

The ROKU XDS profile contains the missing back button--just a setup issue.

Volume Up/Down
This can be done with the hardware volume buttons on the tablet. You can hold them down and codes will be sent as long as you finger is on the button.

Channel icons are in a series of sub folders in the TSR folder on the device. Added icons should go in the User folder.

There is a link in the app for getting more icons from the TouchSquid section of IconHarmony.com

This requires the Firefox browser, other Android browsers don't work (so far). It is available free on Google Play. Search Firefox

We have an active support forum at touchsquid.info
post #103 of 131 Old 07-21-2012, 03:23 PM

After a few life changes (now a Small Business Owner), I am back to start preparing for my HT upgrades which I want the TS to control it all. DW is laughing at me as I type this saying "You are determined to have that remote. I hope it is all you think it is." Yes it is and will be. biggrin.gif

I was wondering...

1. How long is the power cord? I'm trying to find ideal and easy to reach locations to put it.
  2. How can I get a second dock and power cord to have one in my HT and in my bedroom?
  3. What version of Android is on the TS?
  4. What are the warranty features?

Mitsubishi WD-92842, Onkyo HT-S9400THX, Oppo BDP-93, XBOX 360 w/Kinect, XBOX (modded), WD My Book Essential, FiOS Bundle
post #104 of 131 Old 07-29-2012, 12:30 AM

Most of those questions can be answered here : http://touchsquid.org/

If you need support it is best to post there, they will often get something fix inside of a day or two and I am sure they troll their own forum more frequently than the various AVS types.

-Robert
post #105 of 131 Old 07-29-2012, 01:36 PM

Done. Trying both places in hopes for an answer from someone.

Mitsubishi WD-92842, Onkyo HT-S9400THX, Oppo BDP-93, XBOX 360 w/Kinect, XBOX (modded), WD My Book Essential, FiOS Bundle
post #106 of 131 Old 08-14-2012, 04:01 PM

Okay, I got all of my answers except where to get a 2nd charging dock/base. I went ahead and ordered the TS remote. Is there anything I should do first when it arrives besides charging it?

post #107 of 131 Old 12-24-2012, 05:53 AM

Any new information on this unit. Im thinking of purchasing one for my dedicated home theater?
post #108 of 131 Old 12-24-2012, 01:03 PM

Scott, nothing overly new, they are releasing updates and addtions to the DB on a regular basis.

Basic questions take a look at their web site the forums have quite a few threads on various things.

If you have a particular question about a feature just ask , i'll try to answer it. I have been using the software for over a year and it controls the mess of a TH system I have ( 5 995v's 1 BR, Tuner, Radio, Switch, TV etc )

-Robert
attichometheater likes this.
post #109 of 131 Old 12-26-2012, 04:51 PM

Hello, I'm thinking of purchasing TSR or the Samsung Galaxy 2 7" for my media room which will be interfacing with WF2IR box. Would I be better off with Samsung or TSR? Also if I would to purchase TSR, it comes with touchsquid pro app, can I later add that app to a samsung galaxy or other tablet or would I have to pay for the additional device? I'm positive it's probably attached to the google play account and can be downloaded later to other devices, just making sure. Thanks in-advance.
post #110 of 131 Old 12-26-2012, 05:10 PM

Well, there are several things to think about.

The TSR is a generic device that comes with the software pre installed.

Updates via OS etc will be much slower for newer features ( the Android side of that )

Using a more main stream tablet will over all give you more usability and more frequent updates to the OS, but you would need to but the TS or TS Pro app.

The paid app would work like any in the app store it should be locked to the Google account but shouldn't allow 1 purchase to be installed on several devices.

I ran the TS software on the Kindle and now have it on my Asus FT101 Transformer and has been close to flawless and issues that crop up they tackle quickly.

-Robert
post #111 of 131 Old 12-26-2012, 05:18 PM

Thanks for the feedback, I've been debating that same advantage that I would have with more updated OS on non TSR. I've also been debating if the touchsquid pro would be an overkill, my current needs are 4 devices or less so the $20 app would do I believe. Other than the 4 device limitation, having the macros and forward thinking worth the extra $30 to spend up front? Again appreciate any feedback
post #112 of 131 Old 12-26-2012, 07:32 PM

Just depends on what you want from it.

I dont do much macro'ing

TS is great to deal with do the Basic app and if you want to upgrade contact them, they will credit you the basic cost towards the pro.

-R
post #113 of 131 Old 01-07-2013, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
smile.gifbiggrin.gif
Joining the touch squid family
I downloaded the touch squid Pro for android. I have a Toshiba thrive and will also be adding a kindle fire. The touch squid system is a lot like a harmony remote I was using. If you can program a Harmony you should be able to configure a touch squid. The touch squid needed an additional hardware device to flash the IR remote codes. I am using a gobal cache for my IR which is tucked away in my control rack out of sight. The gobal cache using the wireless internet I have set up in my home. I have 7 zones set up for music. With touch squid I built a costume screen with full labeled zone buttons for switching such as Living Room, Patio, office, Master, Hot tub, Cat cave and a multi zone button to activate more then one zone at a time. Touch squid has a great data base for codes all ready in their system. Tech support is outstanding. We work through trouble with my audio switch. Tech support added the codes to the database for me 24-hr turn around was outstanding.

Pro customizable screen layouts.
Rock solid Reponses from the wireless internet was using an RF system that was hit and miss.
Great tech support Thanks Grahame Shannon.
Great product and the a user forum in case you get stuck.

HDTV is clear get the picture
post #114 of 131 Old 03-07-2013, 08:43 PM

I decided I would give this a shot with a Tab 2. Needed something to replace my old Harmony 520.

Roomie seemed like a good option, but I didn't want to use my Iphone, and Ipads are more than I wanna spend for this, plus having to buy the GC Wifi2IR. This solves that by being a cheaper tablet and not needing the GC.

My Tab 2 will be here tomorrow and I will be trying TS out. Probably go with the Pro version.

Will be controlling:

Dish DVR
Denon 2113CI
Vizio E601i-A3

Also have a PS3 and converting my PC to an HTPC that I might add to the list as well.
post #115 of 131 Old 03-08-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
I will be interested in hearing what your experience is as I am heading down the same path. I got my tab 2. Been playing with the "built-in" Peel app.... its OK but not enough of a remote to handle all my stuff (ie. denon 4308, pioneer 51fd, pioneer LD player, wi, modded old xbox as media player one, bell sat, samsung dlp tv, onyko 919 (amp / 2nd rcvr), AND X10). Next I am going to try the denon apps that can control just the receiver to see if its enough but I doubt it.... but maybe a combination of denon app and the peel might work.
Anyways, good luck. I hope it is an answer for your setup.

PS. currently I have been using a sony rmv 3100 which does everything pretty good in terms of operations, macros, and general use AND is about the same size as a tab2. The main downfall is the "weak" touchscreen display is some what hard to see and is not user definable in terms of buttons although the "built in text" identifiers have some choices to help a bit. I can't understand why sony didn't do a more amibitious remote app for both their tablet and also for general sale by just "upgarding" the "software" from the 3100 or equivalent.
post #116 of 131 Old 03-20-2013, 03:22 AM

Touchsquid here. We have just released a Sony version of the Touchsquid app. It uses the excellent ir blaster on the Sony tablet S and the Xperia S, Xperia Z and Xperia ZL phone.

It uses the built in UEI database on the Sony and since the Sony has capture capabilities TS can use captured codes too.

It still works with external blasters as well.

Home and PRO versions are on Google Play now.
post #117 of 131 Old 03-20-2013, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

That's great to hear as the Sony Xsperia might be a good choice for me in the future if the samsung tab2 doesn't work out. This will bring the "macros" function (right?) to the Sony that it currently doesn't have.
post #118 of 131 Old 03-25-2013, 11:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just added a kindle fire to my touch squid worked like a champ. Load the touch squid pro to the kindle fire and copied the proile's on toshiba thrive to the kindle fire and off I went. Happy camper in TS land now 2 andriod tablets to use for my sound system.

HDTV is clear get the picture
post #119 of 131 Old 04-07-2013, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

I have been trying the 30 day pro demo for about a week now. A few "teething problems" have occurred but those have been resolved quickly by the great support at TS. Anyways, I will likely be upgrading to the full version therein after the trial. For others that are looking at universal remote options, for me, with an available Android tablet (samsung tab2 7) with built in IR, this IS the option for a universal remote. It does or can do most things and will likely only get better with release "cycles". The great thing about "app" based units is that a responsive support group can usually quickly supply a "fix"/change for an issue. Of course, not having "hard buttons" may be an issue but I have come from a Sony rm av3100 which has a "sizeable" touch screen for most operations so this was not an issue. Probably main issue as with everything else these days is powering. Regular remotes can last for months on rechargeable batteries. Of course, tablet based apps "live and die" with the base tablet but I think that is the price for "stepping up and forward" in this day. Maybe there will come a time of an inbedded solar cell tablet much like the progress of hand calculators.... :-) Anyways, I am certainly enjoying the TSR experience and hope to continue building out the programming for my setup which basically controls 2 rcvr / amps, dlp tv, bluray, LD, sat rcvr, old xbox media center, x10 lighting, WII, and PC on TV. Of course, some of those are only basic switching plus associate remote icons functions of either the rcvr or tv but maybe when / if wireless/blue tooth interfacing / operation becomes fully integrated then other interesting things are possible. Maybe adding a global cache device for adding the learning function to my IR receiverless tablet or maybe going the way of the sony tablet which has this capability and was recently "upgraded" to the TSR family is my next "toy travel" direction.
post #120 of 131 Old 04-14-2013, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Is it possible to check TouchSquid's db to see if my devices are listed? I do see the companies listed but not the specific device.

Panasonic 37" plasma TV
Comcast Motorola PVR
Yamaha RX-1000 avr
Yamaha 1000 blu-ray player
Sony s590 bluray player

Others as upgrades desired......

Logitech does have a configuration checkout on their site.

As my Logitech Harmony One may be "dying" due to being splashed with coffee as the buttons work hesitantly, I'm looking at getting a Samung Tab 2 (7.0) with the TouchSquid app as replacement. The costs combined still is reasonable considering a comparable universal remote replacement of the Harmony One.

I already have a tablet that doesn't have an IR so if not all my devices is available for the TouchSquid, then the Samsung would be just an expensive "doorstop".
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Vizio , Vizio 8 Inch Tablet With Wifi Vtab1008
Gear in this thread - Vtab1008 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page