Sony S Tablet - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 10-01-2011, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So I guess no one is using the Sony S Tablet even though it has a built in IR and the app already installed? I have not seen any threads on it. I'm curious if anyone has a good reason NOT to use it as a Universal remote.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-06-2011, 12:36 PM

Liked: 10
Do you have one? If you do tell us about it.

I have looked at it but price is an issue.

IR and learning remote is a plus.

Can you change and edit the layout?
How is it with HTPC appications? Does it have Mouse and keyboard support when using the unit on a HTPC?

Will the remote work with WIFI or Bluetooth?

I have been looking into Tablets to use as a universal remote but HTPC support with mouse and keyboard will be a must.

RDP with the remote might be the only option to do it all or are there any universal remotes for tablets that have mouse and keyboardd support as well?
post #3 of 11 Old 10-06-2011, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No I don't have one. I'm considering one and was curious what other people thought. Looks like no one is using it here.
post #4 of 11 Old 10-06-2011, 05:37 PM

I have one, I'm on the fence with it.

As far as using it as a universal remote there are no "activities". You can customize the buttons, change the layout (somewhat) and map different signals from different remotes to any key.

I'm being lazy, sorry.. buying this tablet exclusively as a universal remote is over the top as it needs to mature. The remote software is "version 1.0" which has me hoping that Sony is going to continue to develop it.

For me, I am trying to decide if this tablet is really what I want for a tablet. I think I am convinced to keep... yet I have a feeling six months down the road I will regret dishing out $500+ dollars for it. I have another week to take it back.

The screen is nice but not as nice as Samsung's Tab 10.1. The shape is good.. personally I think this is the perfect tablet to have if there's kids around. Out of all the tablets I've seen, this one will stand up the best to abuse and with the Playstation options.. entertain the kids.

Reading on it is ok.. but I think I wouldn't want to use it as my main reader. The Sony version of the Android Keyboard is really nice, I like it.

I wish it had a sharper display, it's good but the Samsung is much better. I wish it had tactile feedback and I wish it looked a little less toy like. But overall I think it's a great tablet at this point in time, next year however... it could look like a sad joke with the next wave of hardware and ICS.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-09-2011, 01:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dberladyn View Post

Nice Review. Thanks.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-01-2011, 03:10 PM

Does it include Bluetooth so it can be used to replace the PS3 controller as a remote? Seems like that would be a no brainer with Sony. Thanks.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-05-2011, 03:57 AM

Hi,

If you only use it to control one room and do not need macros it is ok. But if you want to do macros and learn other IR codes with extenders such as GC itach it is a bit problematic. The most stable app so far i found is the one i've been using for the Touchsquid and the recent Redeye also works better. In all quite ok for limited functionality and ofcourse if you own a Playstation it is a nice add on.

The second remark i have is for the screen. I clean my Ipad with a nice cloth i use for my sunglases in a second. This screen is much more dificult to clean.

Regards!
post #8 of 11 Old 12-11-2011, 02:00 PM

Liked: 13
Does this thing control your lights as well? I am looking for a more simple alternative to ipad/irule
post #9 of 11 Old 12-11-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azula View Post

Does this thing control your lights as well? I am looking for a more simple alternative to ipad/irule

If your lights are controlled via IR then it does. I am not sure, since i returned the item to my customer for whom we did some integration, but i think that it does have a learning function. If not than you have to use an Extender with lernable IR such as Global Cache or RedEye.

If you are looking only to controll AV and some lights the best solution in my oppinion today would be the touchsquid tablet.

Regards!
post #10 of 11 Old 12-15-2011, 11:21 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor30 View Post

If your lights are controlled via IR then it does. I am not sure, since i returned the item to my customer for whom we did some integration, but i think that it does have a learning function. If not than you have to use an Extender with lernable IR such as Global Cache or RedEye.

If you are looking only to controll AV and some lights the best solution in my oppinion today would be the touchsquid tablet.

Regards!

Yes, it does have/is a learning remote.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-22-2012, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page