post #61 of 466 Old 10-18-2011, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemoPad View Post

Just email DemoPad support with the xml file, and someone will send you back a .dc1 file. The ability to import xml files is in the next release of the software. This will only work for 0000 codes.

Can the Pronto hex 0000 codes be cut and pasted from Pronto ProEdit to Demopad?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 466 Old 10-18-2011, 09:49 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Just email DemoPad support with the xml file, and someone will send you back a .dc1 file. The ability to import xml files is in the next release of the software. This will only work for 0000 codes.

Thanks a lot, it is a good news.
post #63 of 466 Old 10-18-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mborner View Post

Can the Pronto hex 0000 codes be cut and pasted from Pronto ProEdit to Demopad?

yes - then use the 'Hex Convert' button to convert to Global Cache / Keene IR format.
post #64 of 466 Old 10-18-2011, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Like I said, Demopad support is great . I hope 2 way feedback will be implented in a short time.
post #65 of 466 Old 10-19-2011, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

yes - then use the 'Hex Convert' button to convert to Global Cache / Keene IR format.

I don't see a hex convert button anywhere in the Designer.
post #66 of 466 Old 10-19-2011, 02:25 PM

After a quick start, I'm a little disappointed by DemoPad.

- impossible to create pre-defined commands file for HTTP devices
- no repetition of IR codes (necessary for some devices to start)

None of these problems on iRule.

It is a pity because demoPad is a very good product and the support is excellent.
post #67 of 466 Old 10-19-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mborner View Post

I don't see a hex convert button anywhere in the Designer.

In the pre-defined commands screen, to the right of the command data...
post #68 of 466 Old 10-19-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearnet View Post

After a quick start, I'm a little disappointed by DemoPad.

- impossible to create pre-defined commands file for HTTP devices
- no repetition of IR codes (necessary for some devices to start)

None of these problems on iRule.

It is a pity because demoPad is a very good product and the support is excellent.

IR repetition is built in - when converting codes from raw hex you just specify the repeat count & it builds it into the command for you, or you can alter the sendir command manually, or you can send multiple codes as part of a macro...

Pre-defined commands for http devices are entered as the raw GET request, eg GET /Channel.cgi?Chan=1 HTTP/1.0 - or you can use the 'send data to website' action type if you just want to enter the http request alone.
post #69 of 466 Old 10-19-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:

IR repetition is built in - when converting codes from raw hex you just specify the repeat count & it builds it into the command for you, or you can alter the sendir command manually, or you can send multiple codes as part of a macro...

Pre-defined commands for http devices are entered as the raw GET request, eg GET /Channel.cgi?Chan=1 HTTP/1.0 - or you can use the 'send data to website' action type if you just want to enter the http request alone.

Thanks for the answers.

For the repetition altering the sendir command works fine

But for the HTTP devices I don't manage.

I enter the line

GET /web/remotecontrol?command=116 HTTP/1.0

in the Command Data zone of the pre-defined commands

and add it in device command.

am I wrong? is there something missing?
post #70 of 466 Old 10-19-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearnet View Post

Thanks for the answers.

For the repetition altering the sendir command works fine

But for the HTTP devices I don't manage.

I enter the line

GET /web/remotecontrol?command=116 HTTP/1.0

in the Command Data zone of the pre-defined commands

and add it in device command.

am I wrong? is there something missing?

I would say it depends on the device...
Have found it easier and more reliable to use the send data to web site method and have a text file with all my commands in, then it is just copy and paste. I control DirecTV and Boxee this way.
post #71 of 466 Old 10-20-2011, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorsplace View Post

I would say it depends on the device...
Have found it easier and more reliable to use the send data to web site method and have a text file with all my commands in, then it is just copy and paste. I control DirecTV and Boxee this way.

Thanks a lot Trevorsplace, I'll do it.
post #72 of 466 Old 10-20-2011, 11:22 AM

Great info on this thread! I got off to a quick start in DemoPad but can't figure out how to add dynamic labels to buttons. Can anyone help?
post #73 of 466 Old 10-20-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post

Great info on this thread! I got off to a quick start in DemoPad but can't figure out how to add dynamic labels to buttons. Can anyone help?

I had the same problem the first couple of days.
Labels are defined at the project level, so you need to be on the top project page in designer.
Define the label there and a default value, then you can use the label as a dynamic label for text.

Just realized you said Buttons, don't think that can be done at this time, I'll check tomorrow.
post #74 of 466 Old 10-21-2011, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

It could be done by using a blank button and dragging the dynamic text label on that button.
post #75 of 466 Old 10-21-2011, 07:09 AM

I've been working on an interface over the past few days and am wondering if I need to change my methods or maybe some things can be added in the next release.

I setup a landscape page to act as my main home page. Then for every icon that you would select on the bottom of the main page, ie: htpc, it opens a sub-page with the HTPC's transport buttons on it. I make the sub-page appear or disappear by setting a flag.

My question - once a sub-page is setup on the Main page, when you view the Main page it's always visible - is there a way or can there be a way to attach the sub-page but hide it in the designer so I can work on Home page without seeing the sub-pages. For example - I have a "Please Wait" sub-page that shows up while things are happening in the background (for the WAF) and that sub-page when added to the Main page always shows up there in the Designer. When the App is running on the iPad it works great, but it just becomes cluttered in the designer.

Just a thought. Otherwise, I love it. It has allowed me to setup an interface that queries my receiver, to check if it's on or not and then change the interface accordingly. I can do the same for AE4000 projector, make sure it's off before allowing my wife to turn the tv on things that matter when designing for my wife and daughter.

Jer
post #76 of 466 Old 10-21-2011, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerran View Post

I've been working on an interface over the past few days and am wondering if I need to change my methods or maybe some things can be added in the next release.

I setup a landscape page to act as my main home page. Then for every icon that you would select on the bottom of the main page, ie: htpc, it opens a sub-page with the HTPC's transport buttons on it. I make the sub-page appear or disappear by setting a flag.

My question - once a sub-page is setup on the Main page, when you view the Main page it's always visible - is there a way or can there be a way to attach the sub-page but hide it in the designer so I can work on Home page without seeing the sub-pages. For example - I have a "Please Wait" sub-page that shows up while things are happening in the background (for the WAF) and that sub-page when added to the Main page always shows up there in the Designer. When the App is running on the iPad it works great, but it just becomes cluttered in the designer.

Just a thought. Otherwise, I love it. It has allowed me to setup an interface that queries my receiver, to check if it's on or not and then change the interface accordingly. I can do the same for AE4000 projector, make sure it's off before allowing my wife to turn the tv on things that matter when designing for my wife and daughter.

Jer

If you have multiple sub pages on your home page, you can right click on a sub page and cycle through the stack that has piled up on that page. I'm not sure if there's any way to hide them.
post #77 of 466 Old 10-21-2011, 09:22 AM

Even that is better than removing and re-adding them - that's great to know.
post #78 of 466 Old 10-21-2011, 04:51 PM

Hiding the sub pages is something Andy said was going to be implemented, not sure if it will be in the pending release.
post #79 of 466 Old 10-22-2011, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorsplace View Post

Hiding the sub pages is something Andy said was going to be implemented, not sure if it will be in the pending release.

That would be a great help. So if I understand right it would be possible to hide and unhide the subpage?
What is your method to get the right size of a subpage? Do you switch all the time between the homepage and the subpage until you got it right? Because this costs me a lot of time, until I got the right size of the subpage.
post #80 of 466 Old 10-22-2011, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hengenl View Post

That would be a great help. So if I understand right it would be possible to hide and unhide the subpage?
What is your method to get the right size of a subpage? Do you switch all the time between the homepage and the subpage until you got it right? Because this costs me a lot of time, until I got the right size of the subpage.

Yes, it's time consuming getting each sub page the correct size. I have 7 of them on my home page. It would be so much easier to just Ctrl c/v a sub page. The good thing is that the sub page doesn't have to be exact. As long as it can house your buttons, it doesn't really matter what size it is.
post #81 of 466 Old 10-22-2011, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Well I sent off e-mails to both iRule and Demopad asking about Android support. Here is the reply I got back from Demopad:
Quote:

Hi - I'm afraid not, not in the near future at least. We have taken the view that Apple devices, with their closed architecture, are far more stable for home automation systems than Android - with the many devices & software configurations (and viruses!) that we would need to deal with.

I can understand sticking with iOS because of fewer hardware configurations, but the "and viruses!" part just gets me. What the hell is that about?

The fact that there are a wider range of tablets, many of them fairly cheap when compared to the iPad makes Android more appealing to me. I've got a real cheap Archos tablet that is perfect for just doing home automation/remote control work. And since users make their own UI layouts, that eases the workload off the app developer in this case.
post #82 of 466 Old 10-22-2011, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Mickunas View Post

Well I sent off e-mails to both iRule and Demopad asking about Android support. Here is the reply I got back from Demopad:

I can understand sticking with iOS because of fewer hardware configurations, but the "and viruses!" part just gets me. What the hell is that about?

The fact that there are a wider range of tablets, many of them fairly cheap when compared to the iPad makes Android more appealing to me. I've got a real cheap Archos tablet that is perfect for just doing home automation/remote control work. And since users make their own UI layouts, that eases the workload off the app developer in this case.

No problem Keith, stick with your Archos, while we ios consumers get the whole package. Seriously, you can't compare an archos tablet with an ipad!
post #83 of 466 Old 10-22-2011, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hengenl View Post

No problem Keith, stick with your Archos, while we ios consumers get the whole package. Seriously, you can't compare an archos tablet with an ipad!

I'm not. But for my purposes, that is basically just remote control, why spend so much money on an iPad? That's my issue with this. I will want to have dedicated devices left in place for remote control. I spent $90 on the Archos, add that to the cost of software needed for control, and I can have a better system than Harmony for a lot less. Granted I am single, and thus the only person using my system, so the remote can go whereever I go, but for a lot of people that's not the case.

Consider this, low-end Android tablets should be sufficient for remote control systems. Their low cost allows a person to purchase multiple tablets to provide whole-house control. You can place dedicated tablets in various locations for this specific purpose. It's akin to using the various touch-panel controllers from AMX or the like, but for thousands of dollars less.
post #84 of 466 Old 10-23-2011, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

I'm not. But for my purposes, that is basically just remote control, why spend so much money on an iPad? That's my issue with this. I will want to have dedicated devices left in place for remote control. I spent $90 on the Archos, add that to the cost of software needed for control, and I can have a better system than Harmony for a lot less. Granted I am single, and thus the only person using my system, so the remote can go whereever I go, but for a lot of people that's not the case.

Consider this, low-end Android tablets should be sufficient for remote control systems. Their low cost allows a person to purchase multiple tablets to provide whole-house control. You can place dedicated tablets in various locations for this specific purpose. It's akin to using the various touch-panel controllers from AMX or the like, but for thousands of dollars less.

Couldn't agree more! Had to "upgrade" my daughters itouch so I could have her old one as a stand alone remote in the familty rm. Would love to use an ipad, but not worth it as just a remote!
post #85 of 466 Old 10-23-2011, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Consider that you can do so much more with an ipad, compared to an archos. Yet you get what you pay for. The best argument in favor of the ipad is the battery life and the quality apps. But I can see your point, and it is up to every one's taste what tablet to choose.
post #86 of 466 Old 10-24-2011, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Good news ahead. Andy told me :

"The next version should be out within a few weeks, we are trying to squeeze everything in that we can..."

I am excited to see which features will be added.
post #87 of 466 Old 10-25-2011, 07:30 AM

Can someone help me get commands for XBMC working, for some reason i can't get it working. I have setup the IP and port, but not sure if i need to fill in the command suffix box? then i just copied an XBMC code from my irule account that works fine in i Rule. here is an example of a code "xbmcCmds/xbmcHttp?command=SendKey(273)" without the quotes

I must be missing something simple but for the life of me I can't figure it out.
post #88 of 466 Old 10-25-2011, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linsmith View Post

Can someone help me get commands for XBMC working, for some reason i can't get it working. I have setup the IP and port, but not sure if i need to fill in the command suffix box? then i just copied an XBMC code from my irule account that works fine in i Rule. here is an example of a code "xbmcCmds/xbmcHttp?command=SendKey(273)" without the quotes

I must be missing something simple but for the life of me I can't figure it out.

Did you change the appropriate settings in XBMC?
post #89 of 466 Old 10-25-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linsmith View Post

Demopad needs post commands to work with XBMC Boxee etc at the moment.
Easiest way is don't set XBMC up as a device, instead use a send data to website command and format as an http command.
I'll post an example when I get home.
post #90 of 466 Old 10-25-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:

Did you change the appropriate settings in XBMC?

I would assume so as it works perfectly from iRule
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Irule

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page