5 digit EFC's for URC-7960 and Panasonic TX-37LZ8F - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-25-2011, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have purchased URC-7960 and want to program it to send discrete codes for TV inputs in macros. My LCD Panasonic TV TX-37LZ8F has the following ones:

AV1
AV2
AV3
Component
PC
HDMI1
HDMI2
TV

Scrolling to the required one with a few presses of AV button needs 20 seconds or so, and my son from time to time is not patient enough to wait until the required input is selected by macro. So, direct selection of the input would save a lot of nerves.

I used setup code 0650 and my TV worked. But then I wrote to One-far-All support that was very helpful and sent me an EFC table with directions that correct Setup code for my TV is 1636. I tried that one and it also worked fine. The only problem is that now I have not all discrete inputs anyway.

What is working now with the Setup code 1636:

HDMI1 54564
HDMI2 55588

What is missing:

AV1
AV2
AV3
Component
PC
TV

If anyone could give me a hand in getting correct EFC's, that would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I have read some info regarding Remote controls programming and think the best way would be now to turn to experts
Code table from www. getzweb. net (sorry, cannot insert url's in correct format jet) for TV with devid=1636 matches 100% the info from All-for-One support. But it does not have those codes either

Device: TV / 1636
Protocol: Panasonic MIX Combo
Devices: 128; , 2 ; 0 ; 9 ;
Pid: 001F ;
Fixed: BF FB FE BF FF 6F 7F DF;
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-25-2011, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
1636 can send the following device/subdevices: 128, 2, 0, 9, 1, 4. The Lookup Tool that you referenced has a space limitation that kept it from displaying the 1 and 4, but the fixed data does show it. Anyway, Panasonic provides their IR signals in Pronto Hex format, and I've decoded those and converted to EFC format using RemoteMaster.

Function EFC Device Subdevice OBC
HDMI1 54564 128 4 176
HDMI2 55588 128 4 177
HDMI3 55076 128 4 178
Comp1 15396 128 4 124
Comp2 16420 128 4 125
Video1 61741 128 0 1
Video2 61229 128 0 2
Video3 62253 128 0 3
Video4 60461 128 0 4
TV/Video 61485 128 0 5
PC/VGA 16173 128 0 122
post #3 of 5 Old 11-25-2011, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Unbelievable! Everything works! This is magic, nothing else! How did you do that, man?

Originally I also put the URL to Panasonic IR signals in Pronto Hex format to my message but members with less than 3 posts are not allowed to, alas! I also read your recent help topic to some other member, you also described, what to do and how to apply RM. There as well as here you refer to subdevices. How did you get 1 and 4 from the fixed data?

Well, even after getting these subdevices, how did you get EFC's? Perhaps, RM does this automatically (I have not installed it yet) but from Pronto one can get real info (frequencies, binary data etc.); EFC's are just values from a hash-table. I read an algorithm for getting 3 digit EFC's but it was rather heuristic than grounded, required Remote unit layout (which you do not have) and does not guarantee good results. For 5 digits I cannot even imagine, what effort it will require.

Could you please just highlight a) decoding you did and b) conversion with RM (just copy-paste?) Thanks a lot. You are the man!
post #4 of 5 Old 11-25-2011, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
To decode Pronto Hex, I recommend IRScope. The main purpose of IRScope is to handle data taken with the IR Widget, but you can use the Import function to decode Pronto, see a graph of the IR signal, or view it in IRP format. IRScope, like several other programs, uses DecodeIR.dll to do the actual decoding. There is a newer version (2.43) of DecodeIR.dll than is included in the IRScope distribution, and it knows about more IR signals, so it is worth downloading. However, the newest version of RemoteMaster does have DecodeIR.dll version 2.43 as part of its distribution, so it is easier just to download that and copy the dll into the IRScope directory.

About EFCs:
UEI remotes use a protocol executor to construct the IR signal. It is just a subroutine that takes as input the fixed data (which is constant for all functions codes) and the variable data that changes for each function. There are several executors that can shoot Panasonic, and of course the exact form of the input data varies. The EFC is an encoded form of the input data, and there is a one to one mapping of EFCs and input data. For the Panasonic Mix executor, the fixed data is a list of possible device/subdevices. (Other IR protocols may have frequency or framing information in the fixed data.) I used RemoteMaster to guess the missing subdevice numbers. It automatically computes the fixed data based on the user's entry of device numbers. (Or you could just notice that complementing and reversing the bits of the device/subdevice numbers gives you the fixed data.) The variable data has one byte for the function number, and a second byte is a selection index into the list of device/subdevices. That's why a 5 digit EFC is required--it needs to describe two bytes of data.

RM does the arithmetic to convert the input data into EFC form and displays it. I don't think that the 7960 is currently a selectable choice in RM, but just use any of the JP1.3 remotes, like the RCA RCRP05B, as your target remote.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-28-2011, 03:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks a lot, I will try that.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page