Need Help understading IR Repeater/Extender - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-07-2011, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm totally new to this so I can use some help. I'm considering wiring up my surround sound and put all of my tv components in a closet in a different room from the TV. I understand i'll then need to use an IR Repeater/Extender.

How do these typically work? Do you simply install a small IR eye, and then run that IR repeater back to the closet where the components all plug in?

How does the wiring work with a cable box, surround sound receiver, and blu-ray player?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-07-2011, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
You should be able to find everything you need to know with a little research on the web. Assuming you want to use a single remote you will need either need:
a) and IR based remote with an IR extender
b) an RF based remote

The IR extender has an eye which must be located where it can receive IR signals from the remote. It eye has a wired connection to the repeater located in the closet.

An RF based remote does not need line of sight and has separate receivers (kind of equivalent it and IR Extender) which send out IR signals. These receiver(s) are located close to the devices that need to be controlled, e.g., in the closet and in front of the TV (unless the remote is dual IR and RF capable).
post #3 of 5 Old 12-08-2011, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPlayer View Post

You should be able to find everything you need to know with a little research on the web. Assuming you want to use a single remote you will need either need:
a) and IR based remote with an IR extender
b) an RF based remote

The IR extender has an eye which must be located where it can receive IR signals from the remote. It eye has a wired connection to the repeater located in the closet.

An RF based remote does not need line of sight and has separate receivers (kind of equivalent it and IR Extender) which send out IR signals. These receiver(s) are located close to the devices that need to be controlled, e.g., in the closet and in front of the TV (unless the remote is dual IR and RF capable).

Thanks for the specifics. I am familiar with IR needing a direct line of sight to an eye, where RF is radio frequency and can pass through obstructions. What I'm trying to understand is, if I have an IR Repeater/Extender in place, could I then use all of my remote controls the way they currently function, without needing just 1 remote? So one remote for the cable box, and another for the TV/Blu-Ray player?

I'm trying to also understand how to best wire everything through a receiver but I'll save that for another thread.
post #4 of 5 Old 12-08-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by telltale5 View Post

Thanks for the specifics. I am familiar with IR needing a direct line of sight to an eye, where RF is radio frequency and can pass through obstructions. What I'm trying to understand is, if I have an IR Repeater/Extender in place, could I then use all of my remote controls the way they currently function, without needing just 1 remote? So one remote for the cable box, and another for the TV/Blu-Ray player?

I'm trying to also understand how to best wire everything through a receiver but I'll save that for another thread.

If you have an IR repeater/Extender you can continue to use your current set of standard remotes just like you are now. But now you can hide all your equipment in a closet or other room. You will just need a line of sight to the IR receiver, this runs via wire to the repeater. Then there are small IR emitters that run from the repeater to sit on/in front of your components and re-transmit the signal from your remote to the devices.

I use this one: Have had no problems with it.
http://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Infrare...3364853&sr=1-3
post #5 of 5 Old 12-08-2011, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBob View Post

If you have an IR repeater/Extender you can continue to use your current set of standard remotes just like you are now. But now you can hide all your equipment in a closet or other room. You will just need a line of sight to the IR receiver, this runs via wire to the repeater. Then there are small IR emitters that run from the repeater to sit on/in front of your components and re-transmit the signal from your remote to the devices.

I use this one: Have had no problems with it.
http://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Infrare...3364853&sr=1-3

Thanks for confirming that. I saw that one on Amazon, and this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-Acou.../dp/B001BLTDZA

I want to keep my components about 25 feet away from the TV in a different room. I called cables-to-go and they said I could easily extend the IR Receiver with a headphone wire. Anyone ever stretch that far?

Where would I post to ask questions about how to get everything wired up if I want to get a cable box, tv, blu-ray, and surround sound receiver all together in a separate room? Trying to understand how it would be best done and whether I put 2 hdmi's from the TV to the cable box and receiver, and then put the blu-ray into the receiver, or, if I need to run 1 hdmi from the tv to the receiver, and then feed everything through that. Thanks
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page