Logitech Harmony One alternatives - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 12-11-2011, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for recommendations for an affordable alternative for the Harmony One. I love the device when it is working, but I'm currently on my third in less than three years (first two replaced under warranty) and the third has now crapped out. The product quality and customer service from Logitech are atrocious.

I've done some Googling but have turned up few alternatives. Does anyone have recommendations or does Logitech just have this market cornered?

Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-11-2011, 03:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

for consumer level remotes, yea, they pretty much have the market cornered... it's allowed them to decontent their remotes pretty severely...

urc remotes, imo/ime, are far more reliable and robust... however, if you want a touchscreen, it's gonna cost...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #3 of 20 Old 12-11-2011, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 79
If you want higher quality, you're going to have to pay more.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #4 of 20 Old 12-23-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Richmeister View Post

I'm looking for recommendations for an affordable alternative for the Harmony One. I love the device when it is working, but I'm currently on my third in less than three years (first two replaced under warranty) and the third has now crapped out. The product quality and customer service from Logitech are atrocious.

I've done some Googling but have turned up few alternatives. Does anyone have recommendations or does Logitech just have this market cornered?

Thank you in advance.

Have you looked into the Acoustic Research ARRX18G XSight. Amazon has it for $54. Remote Control Central did a nice review on it too. You can find it here.
http://www.remotecentral.com/reviews...uch/index.html

I also have a Sony RMVLZ620 that I picked up on Amazon for around $19 that will also do everything plus more than the Logitech Harmony One believe it or not. I have it completely loaded with the same macros as my Sony AV-RX4000 that I've had for 5 years that does everything. Don't let the low price fool you. The best part of it is, you don't have to log into any websites or load any software to program it, and it will program up to 8 devices.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-RMVLZ620-...4701144&sr=8-2
post #5 of 20 Old 12-23-2011, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I love my Home Theater Master (aka URC) MX-700.
It looks like URC's MX-850 would be a replacement.
They are pricey though.

What I like:
- Programming Software: The MX Editor allows complete freedom to set things up the way you want.
- Sturdy: My MX-700 is still working great after more than 5 years and it's been used and abused.
- Tactile buttons: I like not having to look at the device to use it.

Just some thoughts,

Mitch
post #6 of 20 Old 12-24-2011, 08:23 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by the richmeister View Post

i'm looking for recommendations for an affordable alternative for the harmony one. I love the device when it is working, but i'm currently on my third in less than three years (first two replaced under warranty) and the third has now crapped out. The product quality and customer service from logitech are atrocious.

I've done some googling but have turned up few alternatives. Does anyone have recommendations or does logitech just have this market cornered?

If you don't mind programming a learning remote, the new URC R40 is fantastic. I have had two Harmonys and they look and feel cheap, and after hours programming them on the PC i could never get them to do what i needed them to do. This R40 on the other hand is solid and very well built, the buttons respond with a nice tactile click, and it feels really good and is well balanced in my hand. And when i use it while it's sitting on my desk it doesn't capsize when i press the buttons along the sides - it stays planted. URC remotes are known for having good build quality - i have three MX-500s in various rooms and they get heavy use for the past 4-6 years and they're all working perfectly. This R40 is the first worthy replacement i've found for my MX-500 and it's working out perfectly for me, which i could not say about my Harmonys.

More info:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1380016
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1380759

There are some good reviews on Amazon dot com.

Attachment 231838Attachment 231840
LL
LL

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #7 of 20 Old 12-24-2011, 08:23 AM

For the last few weeks I have been trying to get Harmony support to transfer some codes over to a new Harmony 900 I just bought (to replace one that died about 2 weeks after its warranty ended)
Customer service is beyond horrible. Here is their latest response to my inquiry:

Dear xxx,

Thank you for contacting Logitech Customer Care about your incident number xxxx-xxxx. My name is Rupert, and I will be assisting for this case.

I understand that you would like to transfer commands from one account to another. I can help you resolve this issue. I do apologize for the delay on our response.

xxx, I do apologize but we cannot transfer commands from one account to another, however all of the accounts are connected to only one database. That means, if the device that you want to copy the command from is the same from the device on your account, you can copy the command directly from the database. I would like to do it for you, but our records show that your account is already out of support which means that we will not be able to make changes for you. We have a dedicated team that handles accounts that are already out of the 90 day free support. Should you decide to contact them, please click on the link below:

Bear in mind I have been a customer for well over 10+ YEARS. (not that it should matter)
I even created a NEW harmony account (as instructed to do so, and also my 13th one) and offered to send in my Amazon receipt.

So...I too, am looking for something to replace the currently used 12 Harmony remotes I have. If I am not going to be able to receive the customer service like I have in the past, then I am done with this company//
post #8 of 20 Old 12-30-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

If you don't mind programming a learning remote, the new URC R40 is fantastic. I have had two Harmonys and they look and feel cheap, and after hours programming them on the PC i could never get them to do what i needed them to do. This R40 on the other hand is solid and very well built, the buttons respond with a nice tactile click, and it feels really good and is well balanced in my hand. And when i use it while it's sitting on my desk it doesn't capsize when i press the buttons along the sides - it stays planted. URC remotes are known for having good build quality - i have three MX-500s in various rooms and they get heavy use for the past 4-6 years and they're all working perfectly. This R40 is the first worthy replacement i've found for my MX-500 and it's working out perfectly for me, which i could not say about my Harmonys.

More info:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1380016
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1380759

There are some good reviews on Amazon dot com.

Attachment 231838Attachment 231840

I've got a couple of Harmony's and I don't really use them that much. I was considering purchasing the MX-500 because Amazon still has a few of them left. It's amazing that this remote has been around for 10 years. The R40 really looks nice but more than I want to spend at this point. Have they stopped making the MX-500?
post #9 of 20 Old 12-30-2011, 11:01 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rta53 View Post

I've got a couple of Harmony's and I don't really use them that much. I was considering purchasing the MX-500 because Amazon still has a few of them left. It's amazing that this remote has been around for 10 years. The R40 really looks nice but more than I want to spend at this point. Have they stopped making the MX-500?

URC has discontinued it, but NXG Technologies is still making the MX-500 under a different model number (NX-RM505). Over the past year i've bought a few of these off EBay and they're exactly the same. I was even able to clone it from my old MX-500.

I bought both of these brand new from a seller on EBay that sells B-stock units that have flaws in the LCD screen for $40 - but the ones i got have a perfect screen. I'm using one in a bedroom and the other in the den and they both work perfectly. Aside from having a few different labels on the hard buttons, it's identical to my MX-500.

Search EBay for this phrase:

*B-Stock* NXG NX-RM505 HDTV Universal Remote Control

Edit - there are still a lot of new MX-500s on EBay as well, not so much on Amazon anymore.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
post #10 of 20 Old 12-30-2011, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Search EBay for this phrase:

*B-Stock* NXG NX-RM505 HDTV Universal Remote Control

Do these units use the pc editor software?
If so, is the sw included?

Thanks

Mitch
post #11 of 20 Old 12-30-2011, 11:50 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch G View Post

Do these units use the pc editor software?
If so, is the sw included?

No. Like the MX-500, these are strictly consumer grade pre-programmed/learning remotes. Not even JP1 capable.

Randy
post #12 of 20 Old 12-30-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:

No. Like the MX-500, these are strictly consumer grade pre-programmed/learning remotes. Not even JP1 capable.

Would the same be true of the R40?
post #13 of 20 Old 12-30-2011, 03:14 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rta53 View Post

Would the same be true of the R40?

Yes, and the R50 too. Pre-progammed/Learning only.

Randy
post #14 of 20 Old 01-10-2012, 07:38 PM

Any experience or knowledge on lighting control with the R40 or 50? I'm looking for the right remote to control my components in a closet as well as 5 dimmers. I haven't purchased the dimmers yet. I know URC has their own proprietary Lutron lighting with the RF box, but I'm thinking any Lutron/Insteon/etc. dimmer that can be IR controlled could also work. Any recommendations?
post #15 of 20 Old 06-09-2012, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Yes... how does the URC-R40 do with Lutron Lighting?

Domino's donÂt fall all at once, they fall one at a time...
post #16 of 20 Old 06-13-2012, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm looking into getting a nice universal remote. I was thinking of the Harmony One, but these comments about poor service and build quality have me concerned. The URC R40 looks sweet and is the same price. I would be using mine to control my uVerse DVR, and the uVerse remote has a My Recordings button, which I use a lot. I don't see a button on the R40 that would be a reasonable choice for that function, unless it could pop up on the display when you select the DVR device. I've seen very little that says what you can do with the screen. Can someone elaborate on those capabilities?

Living Room: Denon 2113ci + BIC V1020 + Panasonic BDT220 + AppleTV + uVerse DVR + Panasonic P42S2 plasma
Theater: Denon 2313ci + Klipsch RW12d + Panasonic BDT220 + Mac mini + uVerse wired receiver + Epson 8350 PJ + 100" screen
post #17 of 20 Old 06-13-2012, 09:24 PM

I have uverse and use the r50 as a replacement remote. You can pick one up on eBay for $50. There is not a hard "my recording" button. It does show up on the LCD pages button. Another option is to learn the command and program it to one of the six top hard buttons. It takes a few tries to get the macros setup. Documentation is terrible. Search YouTube or pm me with any questions. My wife loves the remote after getting used to it. The hardest part is getting the on off macros to work for all of your devices. The uverse DVR is based on a toggle on off command. There is no discrete code for on or a discrete code for off. Let me know if you need help. I personnaly like the urc remotes better than harmony.
post #18 of 20 Old 06-13-2012, 09:36 PM

The r50 is ir only. You have to use an ir repeater or have a line of sight. I'm not sure if the r40 is rf capable. You have to have rf to control lighting Lighting control works great on my mx 780 and mx 5000. These are both professional models and require ccp software to program. Mike at surfremotecentral provides the software to clients that purchase through him. Great remotes but a bit pricey. Good luck.
post #19 of 20 Old 06-14-2012, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 172
You don't have to have rf to control lighting. I have Homeseer controlling my Z-wave lighting and it only needs IR input.

post #20 of 20 Old 06-14-2012, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Well, I picked up an R50 yesterday at Paul's TV for $60. I can see what you mean about it being a pain to set up the power-on and power-off macros -- that took me half an hour by itself! It'll probably take me a few weeks worth of tinkering to get it just right, but I'm confident I'll get there, and you guys are right about the build quality. It feels excellent! I had no trouble programming one of the softkeys at the top to control the DVR.

Living Room: Denon 2113ci + BIC V1020 + Panasonic BDT220 + AppleTV + uVerse DVR + Panasonic P42S2 plasma
Theater: Denon 2313ci + Klipsch RW12d + Panasonic BDT220 + Mac mini + uVerse wired receiver + Epson 8350 PJ + 100" screen
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page