Looking for a universal remote - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-15-2011, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After reading a bunch of "Looking for a universal" threads, reading the stickies and generally poking around on this and various other related forums, I BELIEVE I know enough to actually ask the question I've been contemplating for about 9 months with enough detail to actually be helpful. Let's see:

Panasonic plasma TV
Denon 1910 receiver
Denon 1610 Blu-Ray Player
Sony 5 disk DVD player
Toshiba A2 HDDVD player
Panasonic VHS/DVDR player/recorder

I do not have a cable box, do not have cable, do not change channels on the TV, do not have a satellite dish and have zero intention of ever getting any of that.

All of my components are within one rack, approximately 15' away from where the (now multiple) remotes sit and all are less than 5' off the floor and greater than 3' off the floor. They're all within a single remote facing towards them's beam, in other words.

I honestly don't care if it's programmable via WIN or Mac or only via the remote itself, I'll figure how to do that out. Given my druthers I'd rather Mac software, though. WIN is not a deal breaker in any case.

I want to press a button and have:

TV on
Receiver on
DVD on
Receiver changed to DVD
Buttons for play, menu, top menu, stop, pause, volume, and turn it all off

repeat for Blu-Ray, HDDVD, and VCR/DVDR

I'm guessing this is a lot like Bicycles, guns, or any other hobby in that no matter what price cut off I choose I'll get "Well if you were willing to go up by XX, you'd get this spiffy feature..." answers.

I'm thinking $100 is about as high as I want to go. I don't want fancy, I don't want an automated shoe tyer, I'm okay with basic. I do programming and troubleshooting so I'm not entirely opposed to having to do that but I don't believe I'm looking for something terribly out of the ordinary.

The reason I'm starting a thread and not just going and picking one up is I don't know if any or which ones can be made to NOT have cable box, TV tuner changing, etc. I would much prefer not having "Cable" labeled on a button and having to remember "Cable" means "HDDVD" and most of the ones I see have all that pre-printed on the case of the remote over or beside a button. If that means I have to spend more and get a primarily LCD screen, so be it.

Help?

Thanks
DanH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-15-2011, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Harmony 600/650/700 will all work fine. 600 has greyscale LCD, 650 is color, 700 is rechargeable and has more devices. I personally prefer the Xsight Touch which is much better overall than similarly priced harmonys.

EDIT: Missed the Mac part before. Xsight is a no-go on Mac.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 Old 12-15-2011, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 63
The Harmony 600/650 only handle 5 devices (you have 6) so the 700 would be the choice for you, on sale @ Best Buy for $79.99 right now. All the brands you have are very popular so you shouldn't have any problem programming with Mac, or Win. With a decent internet connection you could bang it out in about 45 min.

post #4 of 5 Old 12-17-2011, 03:51 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGH View Post

I'm thinking $100 is about as high as I want to go. I don't want fancy, I don't want an automated shoe tyer, I'm okay with basic. I do programming and troubleshooting so I'm not entirely opposed to having to do that but I don't believe I'm looking for something terribly out of the ordinary.

The reason I'm starting a thread and not just going and picking one up is I don't know if any or which ones can be made to NOT have cable box, TV tuner changing, etc. I would much prefer not having "Cable" labeled on a button and having to remember "Cable" means "HDDVD" and most of the ones I see have all that pre-printed on the case of the remote over or beside a button. If that means I have to spend more and get a primarily LCD screen, so be it.

I like the learning type remotes - i've been using a URC MX-500 for about 6 years and recently upgraded to a new URC R40 and i like it even better. I've had a few Harmony remotes but i could never get them to do everything i need them to do and end up going back to a learning remote.

The URC R40 (and it's predecessor the R50) give you the ability to custom-create your own icons on the main device screen, and you can create your own text on the device icons and the device's function icons. I'm currently controlling 8 devices with this R40 and i created my own icons and labels. It's capable of extensive macros to switch between all my various devices and so far it's doing everything i need it to do.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

Gallery -
post #5 of 5 Old 12-19-2011, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have been using the touchsquid software on a kindle fire w/ a Global Cache iTach Wifi2IR device.

Overall works well, they have a free demo in the market to tinker with.

They are also releasing a tablet with a built in ir blaster for I think 350. Should be out soon,

A bit more than $100 but I personally have never been happy with my logitech remotes.

-Robert
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page