IR interference or weak receiver? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-21-2011, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Moved into a new apartment and had to get Comcast. Technician came out and installed everything, tested the STB (DCT700) on a small old-school TV. Things are working well except to do anything on the STB, my husband and I need to be a couple feet from it with the remote control. At this point, I know it's not interference because we only have the STB and the old-school TV plugged in anywhere in the apartment so, I replaced the generic batteries of the remote with brand new, fresh out of the box batteries.

A week goes by and we get all our other furniture and electronics moved in--Xbox 360, stereo, massive LCD TV, etc. The generic Comcast remote (Silver with red OK/Select) works perfect for the Xbox, stereo, tv but, not for the STB. We still need to be a couple of feet away.

I shuffle things around, unplug everything but the STB, some minor changes in how far away we have to be but nothing that's anywhere near ideal. I put masking tape over the IR receiver of the STB and it makes matters worse. I try a Post-It note, still worse.

Before I call Comcast or make a trip to get a new STB, am I missing something? It was to my understanding that the masking tape/Post-It trick would "filter" interference but, even touching the IR receiver with the remote wouldn't work. I know it's not the remote control because it works just peachy on everything else and, we still have our old Comcast remote (Same model) and it has the same problem.

Is there anything we can do to remedy the problem so we can use the remote control from our couch like the lazy bums we are? Or is the STB broken?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2011, 07:07 AM

You could call interference if it where an RF remote. IR remotes are line of sight and not effected by radio frequency interference. Sounds like you have a defective remote or STB. Call Comcast and have them sort it out. My 2cents
Old 12-28-2011, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Of course it isn't RF interference, but it can be IR interference from, say, a plasma screen TV, or from a fireplace, or from sunlight.

However, given that the other equipment works OK, a Post-it note makes it worse, and two different remotes give the same results, I think it is highly likely that the STB IR receiver is bad. FWIW, where we live, Comcast will allow you to pick up a replacement receiver at one of their service sites, or it will ship a replacement to you. Our experience is that a replacement from the service center is likely to have problems, while a shipped STB seems to have undergone a more thorough checkout.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:27 AM

Oh. That is true. Just read up a bit on that. I have never experience IR interference so didn't even entertain that as being an issue.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3FingeredGlove View Post

Of course it isn't RF interference, but it can be IR interference from, say, a plasma screen TV, or from a fireplace, or from sunlight.

However, given that the other equipment works OK, a Post-it note makes it worse, and two different remotes give the same results, I think it is highly likely that the STB IR receiver is bad. FWIW, where we live, Comcast will allow you to pick up a replacement receiver at one of their service sites, or it will ship a replacement to you. Our experience is that a replacement from the service center is likely to have problems, while a shipped STB seems to have undergone a more thorough checkout.

Thank you so much for your reply. I figured that the STB was a doorstop but, wanted to make sure all my bases were covered before advancing. Will contact Comcast tomorrow and figure on getting a new STB. Hopefully it works. Will update accordingly.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Traded in the DCT700 for a TDC577X from Comcast today. Everything works perfect and my husband and I can go back to being lazy bums sitting on the couch to watch TV. =)