Official URC R40 Thread - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #301 of 303 Old Today, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCxZ0 View Post
This one makes six.

I set the screen brightness at around 60% when I first got my new (direct from URC with new firmware) R40, but now it's at 100% and it difficult to see clearly in daylight.

My MX-500 remains in active duty. though the buttons are worn and some require a firmer press than others.
Guess I'm number seven...my R40 screen is so dim it's only useful at night; to make things worse, you can't change the (blue) background color of the keys INSIDE devices! I haven't checked this thread in awhile but I need to investigate some of the replacement/suggestions. I really don't know why they discontinued this remote

Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's (R/L F/R), (2) Polk Monitor 4's (TM), Polk CS300 center channel
Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-Ray
LG 65EF9500 4K OLED (coming soon)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 303 Old Today, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanton View Post
Guess I'm number seven...my R40 screen is so dim it's only useful at night; to make things worse, you can't change the (blue) background color of the keys INSIDE devices! I haven't checked this thread in awhile but I need to investigate some of the replacement/suggestions. I really don't know why they discontinued this remote
URC has been moving away from the lowly Do-It-Yourselfer market in the past few years, choosing to focus instead on it's network of Authorized Custom Installers to install and program their higher end remotes, and the OEM market (cable companies etc). URC used to be the best source for good DIY remotes but as of a few years ago they no longer make any user-programmable remotes. That pretty much leaves the DIYer with Harmony. URC still sells the MX-450 but they consider that a Pro remote, but it's user-programmable. I have one but it's nowhere near as configurable as the R40.

The place where i bought my last R40 still shows about a half dozen left in stock and that's the last i've been able to find. I expect the OLED screens on all R40s and pro MX-780s to eventually dim to the point that the remote is no longer usable. I wish they would have used LCD screens in these things.

Aside from the MX-450, the only other user-programmable remotes are the Harmony remotes and the discontinued Nevo C2 or C3.

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Series3 & Premiere, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890, MX-780, R40, MX-450, MX-500 Remotes.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #303 of 303 Old Today, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
The place where i bought my last R40 still shows about a half dozen left in stock and that's the last i've been able to find. I expect the OLED screens on all R40s and pro MX-780s to eventually dim to the point that the remote is no longer usable. I wish they would have used LCD screens in these things.
I do too, which is why I'm seriously considering the MX-450. To me, it looks like an R40 with a (bigger) LCD screen. I don't use macros much anymore, so I think it will do the job for me.

Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's (R/L F/R), (2) Polk Monitor 4's (TM), Polk CS300 center channel
Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-Ray
LG 65EF9500 4K OLED (coming soon)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Urc R40 My Favorite Remote Advanced Universal Remote Control For Up To 18 A V Components , Remotes And Controllers , Mx 780 Universal Remote Control , Panasonic