Official URC R40 Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 272 Old 03-27-2012, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
It's tough if you don't have discrete on/off codes, I've been dealing with the same problem. I set up separate macros in each device to switch to another. For example, if I want to switch to blu-ray when I'm watching TV, there's a blu-ray macro in the TV device that assumes my receiver and plasma are already on, it just powers on the blu-ray and switches inputs.
The macros in the main screen assume everything is off to begin with.
The problem is that the URC doesn't remember states devices are in.
I'd rather not have to power everything off to switch sources.
I've tried just leaving my cable box on, but then if will power itself off when it updates in the middle of the night.
I can figure everything out, but I'm struggling with the set-up so others can do it themselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 272 Old 03-27-2012, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonDonald View Post

I recently got an R50 to simplify using my set up (samsung plasma, panasonic blu ray, xbox, dvr box, & vizio sound bar) and I have a couple questions about how you guys prefer to set up your macros. I recently set up my first one, if you hold down the cable button on the main menu, it turns on the TV, cable box, and sound bar. It's working great, but I'm a little bit confused on the best way to program a couple other macros to do the same, only for the blu ray and xbox. At first I thought I'd just copy the one I currently have (instead of turning on cable, it would turn on xbox or blu ray), but if I'm already watching TV, and I pressed that macro, it would turn on the blu ray or x box, then turn off the sound bar and turn off the TV (since they're already on). This might be a silly question, but how do you guys prefer to set these things up? Is it a couple button combination or something that I'm not thinking of?

Finding the the built-in discrete On and Off codes for my Panasonic Plasma and Onkyo was maddening, and apparently the R40 doesn't have discrete On/Off codes for my Tivo or Cable DVR or Panny DVD player anyway so i don't use any discrete On/Off codes in my macros at all. I just use the devices' regular Power commands instead.

What i do is use my Tivo as my "Home Device" since that's what i primarily watch when i get up in the morning or get home from work. I placed a Macro on the SYSTEM button which turns on my TV, turns on my Onkyo AVR, and just to be safe i also include the commands to force the TV to the HDMI-1 input (Tivo is connected), and also forces the Onkyo into TV mode and ultimately lands the remote in Tivo mode. I press the same SYSTEM key to turn everything off when i leave.

To switch from "watching Tivo" to "watch DVD", i created a press-and-hold Macro on the main screen's DVD icon key that turns on my DVD player, switches the TV to the DVD Player's input (HDMI-2), and switches the Onkyo AVR to DVD mode, leaving the remote in DVD mode.

When i'm done watching DVD, i return to Tivo mode with a press-and-hold Macro placed on the Tivo screen icon that switches the TV back to HDMI-1, turns the DVD player off, and changes the Onkyo AVR to TV mode and leaves the remote in Tivo mode.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #33 of 272 Old 03-27-2012, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Randy, doing it your way works in most situations. Where it gets tricky is sometimes I want to swtich from watching netflix on my Oppo to watch TV, but don't want to turn the Oppo off as I'm planning on going back to it.
I've also setup "music" and "video" buttons on my Oppo screens to switch from Cinema-music to Cinema-movie modes on my AVR.
What's great about these remotes is how easy it is to try different things, edit macros, etc. without having to hook up to a computer.
That, and the build quality is much much better than their more well known competitor.
post #34 of 272 Old 03-27-2012, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I agree, it's nice to be able to make the macro and see how it works while you're watching TV, then tweak it to your preference, especially without having to hook it up to the computer. Also it feels 100 times nicer/sturdier than the logitech 650 I returned (the activities everyone praises continually couldn't turn on or off all the right devices). How do you go about finding the discrete on/off codes for the TV?
post #35 of 272 Old 03-27-2012, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonDonald View Post

I agree, it's nice to be able to make the macro and see how it works while you're watching TV, then tweak it to your preference, especially without having to hook it up to the computer. Also it feels 100 times nicer/sturdier than the logitech 650 I returned (the activities everyone praises continually couldn't turn on or off all the right devices). How do you go about finding the discrete on/off codes for the TV?

I think you have to go through the preset code sets to see if it's in there. If not and it's not on the original remote, you're out of luck.
post #36 of 272 Old 03-27-2012, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 319
I think it's always a good idea to have a cheap JP1 or harmony for teaching discretes. That way if you find codes in the JP1 database, harmony database or remote central, you can easily learn them into your main remote. If you have trouble finding codes, just ask in this or one of those forums.
post #37 of 272 Old 03-27-2012, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

I think it's always a good idea to have a cheap JP1 or harmony for teaching discretes. That way if you find codes in the JP1 database, harmony database or remote central, you can easily learn them into your main remote. If you have trouble finding codes, just ask in this or one of those forums.

Excellent idea!
post #38 of 272 Old 05-03-2012, 01:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
The problem I've had over the past several years with different model programmable remote controls from Sony and in the past year on the AR touch remote is some of the most used hard keys quickly become less or nearly totally non-responsive with frequent use after several months (less than a year typically).
This is unacceptable on a more expensive remote I think.

How is the URC remotes and the R40 in particular in this regard? Will all the hard keys remain fully responsive after years of frequent use?
A good programmable remote with high quality hard keys that will keep working good as new for years is what I'm looking for...
post #39 of 272 Old 05-03-2012, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Generally speaking, anything with dome contacts (ones that click) will wear out quicker and can't be repaired. Harmony and AR has those types of keys. Some URCs and most cheap remote have no dome contacts. The conductive coating on the rubber key mat makes contact directly with the circuit board. These wear out too, but they can be cleaned and even refurbished with a little conductive paint. So while they lack the same tactile feedback of domes and feel a bit mushy, the life is typically far longer.

So can an R40/R50 user confirm whether or not the keys click? If they don't, that's a good sign.
post #40 of 272 Old 05-03-2012, 08:05 AM

I've only been using the R40 for several months and can at least confirm that the buttons do not click. My previous remote was the URC MX-500 and it was in use for many years. It never had an issue with the buttons as described above. I don't really think you'll have to worry about it with this device.
post #41 of 272 Old 05-03-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynetinc View Post

Thank you, your input is very much appreciated, this helps alot. For those interested if RF extension works with R40: I've been using this remote with NextGen RF extender and it works, with caveats.

Has anyone found a better RF solution for this remote?
post #42 of 272 Old 05-03-2012, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

I've only had mine for a few months, but it is built very solidly. It does eat batteries though, looks like they may need to be changed once a month or so, depending on usage.
post #43 of 272 Old 05-03-2012, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxer View Post

The problem I've had over the past several years with different model programmable remote controls from Sony and in the past year on the AR touch remote is some of the most used hard keys quickly become less or nearly totally non-responsive with frequent use after several months (less than a year typically).
This is unacceptable on a more expensive remote I think.

How is the URC remotes and the R40 in particular in this regard? Will all the hard keys remain fully responsive after years of frequent use?
A good programmable remote with high quality hard keys that will keep working good as new for years is what I'm looking for...

URC remotes are renowned for being built like tanks. The build quality of my MX500s (i have several) as well as the R50 i returned and the R40 i'm now using is very solid and high quality - much much better than my former Harmonys and Sony remotes. My primary MX500 has seen heavy daily use in my man room for like 6 years with no issue, and the little woman has been using hers in the den for almost as long and it's still perfect too. And the R40 seems to be even more solid than my MX500s. Button feel is more solid too.

I fully expect my R40 to give me many years of service. If you're ever in El Segundo you're welcome to stop by and give my R40 a test drive

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
post #44 of 272 Old 05-03-2012, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I read a review by someone with an R50 remote that he had to replace due to often used keys wearing out after a year or two. Unfortunately that sounds the same as I have experienced with cheaper Sony learning remote controls.
Seems like all models have this issue eventually.
I wonder if the keys are covered by the warranty?
My current AR remote is under a year old and has a one year warranty.
At least that model saves all the custom settings on their website so I suppose I could get a warranty replacement model and reload the settings easily and quickly.
Other models would have to be loaded manually which would take a long time.
post #45 of 272 Old 05-03-2012, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I just had my AR replaced under warranty for worn out keys and loaded my existing config. They didn't want the battery back, so I now have a spare.
post #46 of 272 Old 05-03-2012, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

I just had my AR replaced under warranty for worn out keys and loaded my existing config. They didn't want the battery back, so I now have a spare.

Good to know that the online saved config can be easily reloaded on a different unit. Thanks for that info.
What was the turnaround time for sending the unit to them and getting the new one back?
Are the keys working better/longer on your new unit?

On mine its strange because the keys that are getting harder to activate (need firmer push) are not the keys that are used the most, for example the up arrow button.
The volume keys get the most use and they are just fine.
post #47 of 272 Old 05-03-2012, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

HERE's my experience. My up arrow failed to. Maybe it was a production issue that was fixed in later units. Won't know if it lasts any longer until about a year from now. New unit works perfectly.
post #48 of 272 Old 05-14-2012, 03:15 AM

Is there a fix / workaround for the issue where learning commands causes previously learnt commands on nearby buttons to be lost? This is really annoying and makes the remote almost unusable. Wondering too is this an across the board issue or do only some suffer from it?
post #49 of 272 Old 05-31-2012, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewCowley2 View Post

Is there a fix / workaround for the issue where learning commands causes previously learnt commands on nearby buttons to be lost? This is really annoying and makes the remote almost unusable. Wondering too is this an across the board issue or do only some suffer from it?

I'm not aware of any fix or workaround, but in my case the remote only lost maybe a half dozen commands out of the few hundred commands that i've taught it for my 8 devices. It is a bit irritating to have to re-teach it those lost commands but it only takes a few extra seconds and it really isn't a big deal and in the grand scheme of things i've spent several hours programming it so what's a few more commands? This thing has been working flawlessly for all my devices and this minor irritation that happens upon initial setup is a small price to pay on such a great remote.

Randy
post #50 of 272 Old 08-08-2012, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I'm expecting one of these in the mail today to replace my trusty old MX 850. I read some previous posts mentioning contacts wearing out and I can definitely say my down button is getting worn. Going through menus and the Dish guide is getting frustratingly difficult so it's time to try something new. I'm also looking forward to a few more device specific hard buttons like skip forward, skip backward, and the four color buttons.

I do have a quick question though regarding macros. I read where a previous poster used the color buttons as device macros and it got me thinking.

1. First question. Like the 850, do all the hard buttons support macros?
2. This is what I'm really curious about and am wondering if it can be done. I see that the R40 does not have a hard button dedicated to "DVR/List" whatever it's called by different DVR manufacturers. I realize I can learn this command on other hard buttons including the screen buttons, but I would really like it where the MUTE button is. Thinking about how macros work by adding a delay, can I learn "DVR" to the mute button and still retain the mute function as a macro? So a quick push of the MUTE button works as "DVR" and a longer push of the mute button works as mute?
post #51 of 272 Old 08-15-2012, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Well, I've had my new R40 for nearly a week now and my initial impressions are very positive, albeit with one Big BUT...

I'm having major issues with the remote losing previously learned commands after learning new commands. I see several others mention the same issue with no comments regarding a factory fix. I simply cannot complete a device, no matter how many times I try, without losing at least one button. It can be a hard button, a hard button along the menu screen, or even a power on or power off button. When it's a power on or off button, any macro that uses those buttons becomes broken. When it's a hard button next to the menu screen, then that device won't open to access the buttons for that device. I was up until midnight and went to bed extremely frustrated. I sent an email to URC to see what their response will be. Unfortunately, I'll be sending this back if I can't get this resolved. Perhaps tonight I'll do a reset and complete everything from scratch again...

It's really too bad that they would release a product with this flaw. I say too bad because my last three remotes were a Marantz RC2000, then a MX-500, and finally a MX-850. Outside of the 850 having RF, the R40 has the capabilities to be a very good replacement for it. If it wasn't for that Big But. wink.gif

By the way, I can confirm my own "yes" response to my questions posed in the post above.^^
post #52 of 272 Old 08-23-2012, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

I emailed URC and got a response to call their tech support line. For anyone interested in calling, the number is (800) 901-0800, Monday thru Friday between 9 am to 6 pm EST.

I did call and got a chance to speak with a tech right away. The short answer is that you need to delete the entire device if you're experiencing this problem and start over again with that device. I did try doing that and it worked for me the first time. I was finally able to fully program my remote.

I hope I don't fudge this too badly, but the tech explained that when you learn a command over a button, it doesn't erase the current command, but "stacks" the new learned command on top of the old. I'm not sure if that means the stack moves over to the next button and then makes that button malfunction or what. I didn't ask for an explanation why the button that was re-learned actually performs the command properly.

I'm really enjoying the remote now. The added buttons and the layout really help to make it more enjoyable for using with the Dish Hopper DVR. One great surprise to me was that the built-in code that worked for my Epson 8350 projector actually has a discreet off command! I looked a long time for a code on the web and never found one.

Hope this little bit of info helps someone else!!
post #53 of 272 Old 08-23-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtlots View Post

I emailed URC and got a response to call their tech support line. For anyone interested in calling, the number is (800) 901-0800, Monday thru Friday between 9 am to 6 pm EST.
I did call and got a chance to speak with a tech right away. The short answer is that you need to delete the entire device if you're experiencing this problem and start over again with that device. I did try doing that and it worked for me the first time. I was finally able to fully program my remote.
I hope I don't fudge this too badly, but the tech explained that when you learn a command over a button, it doesn't erase the current command, but "stacks" the new learned command on top of the old. I'm not sure if that means the stack moves over to the next button and then makes that button malfunction or what. I didn't ask for an explanation why the button that was re-learned actually performs the command properly.
I'm really enjoying the remote now. The added buttons and the layout really help to make it more enjoyable for using with the Dish Hopper DVR. One great surprise to me was that the built-in code that worked for my Epson 8350 projector actually has a discreet off command! I looked a long time for a code on the web and never found one.
Hope this little bit of info helps someone else!!

I've been researching the URC remote offerings recently and was concerned about the issue with loosing learned commands on the R40. Thanks for your follow-up post on this matter, it's very helpful. I'm still between choosing remotes, but the R40 is probably the best choice for me at this time. The R50 looks god too, but after reading some reviews, I'm concerned about the hard button layout and the ability to program it (seems like it's dated and more difficult than the R40). I also very much like having the colored buttons on the R40. I agree with the others that wish there was an "Input" hard button on the remote.

I've also been considering the MX-780. Yes, I know it's computer programmed, and getting the CCP software depends heavily on the reseller (Authorized!). I believe I can get the software from my local reseller. Unfortunately the MX-780 is twice the price, so I'm not sure if it's additional features are worthwhile. I don't think I need RF for anything in my system. I'm not passing through walls, etc. No dual zone home stereo at this point (although it'd be great for the patio in the future). Anyway, the advantage that I see is the computer programming, from a back-up sense. Does anyone know if the CCP software can input codes directly now (i.e. Hex or other), or is it still database dependent? How do I go about getting discrete codes in, or do they all need to be learned? Finally, with the CCP software, can custom icons be uploaded for use on the remote LCD?

My set-up consists of a Sony HX750 LED TV, Onkyo receiver (older model, can't quite remember the number, 501?), Sony DVD changer, HTPC (WMC), Xbox 360, Wii, and Zune Docking station. Does anyone have the discrete power codes for the TV and DVD changer? If I got the RCA learning remote, does this help in transferring those into the R40? I'm a little confused on adding discretes into the R40...but do appreciate their benefit once there.

A few specific questions about the R40:
* Does it contain the codes for the Xbox 360 control?
* Does it contain the codes for the Zune AV Dock?
* Can I use a colored icon button on the LCD ANYWHERE (i.e. on the main screen)? IIRC, the R50 is limited in where it can be used.
* Anyone have a pictures of all the icons available on the LCD screen, or a link to the same? Looks like there is a windows button, but would really like to see what all is available if possible.

I really do think the R40 will be a nice solution, but need a bit more info to get me over the hump. The R50 looks pretty nice, and the short comings seem to mostly be a one time issue (programming) IF the buttons aren't unusable. I watch all TV through my HTPC, so the Skip buttons would be used a ton. Anyone have any input on just how hard those buttons are to use? I'm also considering the AR offering and want to make an informed decision.

Thanks for all the help and insight! I've used learning remotes before, just nothing this fancy!
post #54 of 272 Old 09-02-2012, 06:33 AM

Just picked up an R40 two weeks ago. Was initially frustrated and couldn't make it do what I wanted. Simple system, plasma tv, satellite dvr, av receiver and blu ray player. Was about to return it, but called URC first. Got good support, tech basically walked me through set up and gave me some codes to use that I never would have known on my own. Macros are a little beyond me now, but maybe later. Prospective buyers should know that the latest panasonic plasmas do not have built in codes in these remotes that will control all the tv's features. The basics are fine.
Build quality and ergonomics, as others have noted, are great. I've never owned a logitech, but this piece seems pretty robust and good for the long haul. It's a keeper, for me, even if I never get more sophisticated with it. It's already retired four remotes.
post #55 of 272 Old 09-30-2012, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Where did you all purchase your URC-40 from. I've been looking at Amazon.
I want to purchase from an authorized dealer.

Domino's donÂt fall all at once, they fall one at a time...
post #56 of 272 Old 09-30-2012, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk112000 View Post

Where did you all purchase your URC-40 from. I've been looking at Amazon.
I want to purchase from an authorized dealer.
Bought mine from Amazon, they are authorized.
post #57 of 272 Old 09-30-2012, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post

Bought mine from Amazon, they are authorized.

Awesome... thank you.

Domino's donÂt fall all at once, they fall one at a time...
post #58 of 272 Old 10-01-2012, 01:08 PM

Also bought on Amazon, where I pretty much buy everything. Also still happy a month later. I'm sure it can do a lot more than I've got it set up for. But it's doing the basics and has consolidated 4 remotes, which is what I was after. I'm also still impressed with build quality, ease of use, ergonomics, etc. Don't have anything to compare it to (my first universal), but it seems pretty good to me.
post #59 of 272 Old 10-05-2012, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Another Amazon buyer.

After a couple months use, I'm very happy with the R40. It replaced a URC 850 so that's saying quite a bit. I do miss the RF capabilities of the 850 somewhat, and I did add a IR repeater to my system, but it's not as foolproof as RF. All in all though, a great remote.

For reference, I'm controlling a Harman Kardon AVR-3600 receiver, Dish Hopper system, Oppo DV-970HD DVD player, Playstation 3 through a Nyko Blue Wave remote USB dongle, and a dimmer for my lighting. The IR repeater is a Sewel SW-29311 I got from Amazon. It works great with the Dish system. Some IR repeaters don't work with Dish.
post #60 of 272 Old 11-05-2012, 10:51 PM

Liked: 12
I'm getting fed up with the delay or lag from my Harmony 650.
I'm using it for XBMC software and the lag is noticeable when scrolling lists.

Can anyone tell me if the experience would be better on the R40?

Thanks
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Urc R40 My Favorite Remote Advanced Universal Remote Control For Up To 18 A V Components , Remotes And Controllers , Mx 780 Universal Remote Control , Panasonic

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page