Official URC R40 Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #91 of 273 Old 01-15-2013, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, so I've just done my homework.... The Roku 2 XS uses a Bluetooth Remote, however the actual Roku unit can also work with a Roku IR Remote. So, unless anyone has a better idea, I'm going to pickup a used one from Ebay and use it to teach the URC-R40 remote.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 273 Old 01-15-2013, 02:04 PM

Sorry for the multiple posts... So, looked online, and an IR Remote direct from Roku is under $10, but out of stock. Ebay has them starting at about $20. Did some research, and apparently Code 565 works. So, I re-tried this on the URC-R40, and I think it 'almost' works. Some functions work. Some don't work; i.e. the 2 red and green 'power' buttons top left & right of the R40. I'll do some proper testing tonight.
post #93 of 273 Old 01-20-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post

It's tough if you don't have discrete on/off codes, I've been dealing with the same problem. I set up separate macros in each device to switch to another. For example, if I want to switch to blu-ray when I'm watching TV, there's a blu-ray macro in the TV device that assumes my receiver and plasma are already on, it just powers on the blu-ray and switches inputs.

The macros in the main screen assume everything is off to begin with.

The problem is that the URC doesn't remember states devices are in.

I'd rather not have to power everything off to switch sources.

I've tried just leaving my cable box on, but then if will power itself off when it updates in the middle of the night.

I can figure everything out, but I'm struggling with the set-up so others can do it themselves.
post #94 of 273 Old 01-20-2013, 12:04 PM

I agree with the macro button within the device. My satellite TV is my main screen when I turn on the master. From there I have a goto Apple TV and a goto BLURAY macro button and one to come back. I have also found it handy to activate a device by pressing the MENU button or PLAY button instead of the POWER button to turn the power on. This helps if the device was left on. All of my devices have dedicated power on and off except my Panasonic plasma which is a pain.
post #95 of 273 Old 01-24-2013, 11:10 AM

I can't seem to find whether this remote can be programmed to control the mouse on a HTPC? Anyone know?

Thanks!
post #96 of 273 Old 01-27-2013, 09:36 PM

The remote can mimic a windows media center remote. I use it along with an HP ir sensor and it works great. It doesn't scroll like a mouse.
post #97 of 273 Old 01-30-2013, 01:42 PM

Liked: 42
With this remote using the following devices will the remote do the following?:

Device:
Dish Network new hopper
Denon 1713
Sharp 6400U
Samsung BluRay
Xbox
Apple TV
PS3

1) Watch TV: Turn on Receiver, Turn on TV, Turn on dish, change receiver mode to preferred mode
2) with the above devices on - start movie via blu ray - With out turning all devices on - auto switch receiver input, turn on blu ray
----can the remote automatically tell what is on and change accordingly if some systems are already powered on?

I would think this is all possible with the macros feature. How complicated/time consuming is it to program magro sequences.
post #98 of 273 Old 01-30-2013, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
The R40 cannot remember device states. If you don't have discrete on/off codes, it can be a pain knowing what to turn on or off. It's fairly easy to program and edit macros.
post #99 of 273 Old 01-30-2013, 01:59 PM

what do you mean when you say discrete on/off codes?

If my TV is already on and I am watching dish and switch to watch a blu ray are you saying that the remote is not capable of knowing that the tv is already on so it will then power the tv off?
Is there a work around?
post #100 of 273 Old 01-30-2013, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundwhat View Post

what do you mean when you say discrete on/off codes?

If my TV is already on and I am watching dish and switch to watch a blu ray are you saying that the remote is not capable of knowing that the tv is already on so it will then power the tv off?
Is there a work around?
That is correct. Discrete codes are the workaround. They work like this. If you send a normal power toggle command like when you press the power button, the TV will turn on with the first press, off with the next, back on with the next and so on. If you send a Discrete ON command, the TV will turn on. If you send it again, the TV will stay on. If you send it 100 times in a row, the TV will stay on. Likewise, Discrete OFF will only turn the TV off, no matter how many times you send the command.

If your R40 doesn't already have discrete on/off commands built-in, then your only option is to learn them. You can't learn them from your original TV remote because that remote only has a single power toggle. But you can learn them from a JP1 remote or some other remote that accepts pronto hex codes. You can sometimes learn discrete on/off from a Dish remote depending on the model. The procedure is detailed in the Dish manual.

You can buy a JP1 remote almost anywhere for about $15. Such a remote can generally send every possible discrete code for most devices. Just post what you are looking for and we can usually tell you the code by looking in the JP1 database. You may already own a JP1 remote and not know it if you have an old cable, one-for-all or radio shack remote.

If you're averse to spending any money, then you can sometimes utilize HDMI-CEC and remove some power toggles from your macros. For example, depending on the model, your blu-ray may have discretes on the R40. So your watch blu-ray can consist only of a single blu-ray discrete on command. Then the player itself will send discrete on's and the proper input commands to your TV and receiver. To enable HDMI-CEC in your devices, look for anything called sync or link and turn it on. This may have some undesirable results at times, but well thought out programming can minimize any surprises.

If you're coming from harmony, realize that the automatic power and input state tracking harmony has does not exist on the R40, hence the need for discrete codes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #101 of 273 Old 01-30-2013, 03:19 PM

Yes, I had a harmony in the past so what I wanted to achieve was already done for me.

I think I might want to try the R40...just not sure if I am going to be able to get all the programming done how I want it.
post #102 of 273 Old 01-30-2013, 03:32 PM

after more thought basically a discrete code is a unique identifier? Basically instead of just a power code which powers something on/off, there is a unique code for power on...which only powers on?

With that said, how do I know if the R40 will/will not have the discrete codes I need built in?

Which JP1 remote should I buy?

Lastly, am I better off just getting a harmony 650 rather than mess with trying to get an R40 setup correctly?
post #103 of 273 Old 01-31-2013, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I guess you could think of it that way, but it's really just another code. TVs and receivers often have discrete input codes that aren't on their remotes. Receivers can have hundreds of additional discrete codes. Discrete really means distinct. So discrete on has one distinct function which is on, not both on and off.

I'll let others answer the R40 specific questions as I'm no expert there.

My favorite JP1 remote is the RCA RCRP05B.

If you're unhappy with the R40, most any harmony will do.

post #104 of 273 Old 01-31-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovernev View Post

Sorry for the multiple posts... So, looked online, and an IR Remote direct from Roku is under $10, but out of stock. Ebay has them starting at about $20. Did some research, and apparently Code 565 works. So, I re-tried this on the URC-R40, and I think it 'almost' works. Some functions work. Some don't work; i.e. the 2 red and green 'power' buttons top left & right of the R40. I'll do some proper testing tonight.

I am having the same problem and was just about to post the same question here. I sent an email to URC and got no reply. The URC-R40 can only learn two functions (Power and another button which I don't remember right now), but the rest of the commands won't work.

Let me know if you come up with any new info! I will do the same.

Ben
post #105 of 273 Old 01-31-2013, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
The idea is to program the JP1 using the codes, then use learn mode on the R40 to "copy" each command from the JP1 to the corresponding button you want on the R40.
post #106 of 273 Old 02-02-2013, 06:33 PM

I was thinking about getting one of the R40 remotes but this thread has scared me off.

I have had a harmony One for a few years and it was certainly much simpler to set up than what you guys are describing with the R40.

My harmony is controlling the following:

Sony DA5300ES Receiver
Sony KDL-46XBR4 Television
Panasonic DMP-BD30 Blu Ray Player
Sony BDP-S590 Blu Ray Player
DircTV DVR
Sony HT-CT150 Sound Bar
BenQ W1070 Projector

I didn't have to enter a code for any of those devices. I entered the model number and that was all I needed.
Setting up the activities was a snap and I don't have discreet on/off issues that others describe here.

Am I missing something that makes this remote something I should consider over another Harmony One? I know the new Harmony Touch is crap and I won't touch it.
post #107 of 273 Old 02-03-2013, 01:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasburath View Post

I was thinking about getting one of the R40 remotes but this thread has scared me off.

I have had a harmony One for a few years and it was certainly much simpler to set up than what you guys are describing with the R40.

Sony DA5300ES Receiver
DircTV DVR
Sony HT-CT150 Sound Bar
BenQ W1070 Projector

I didn't have to enter a code for any of those devices. I entered the model number and that was all I needed.
Setting up the activities was a snap and I don't have discreet on/off issues that others describe here.

Am I missing something that makes this remote something I should consider over another Harmony One? I know the new Harmony Touch is crap and I won't touch it.

I feel the same way. I have 3 Harmony`s I am using in the House but was thinking about the R40 if Harmony looses its support.
post #108 of 273 Old 02-03-2013, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Most of those devices have discretes, so you should be ok. The projector may be a little tricky. Programming on the remote will never be as easy as on a PC. If that's a requirement you need to look at higher end URC models.

post #109 of 273 Old 02-03-2013, 09:11 AM

You might be able to use your Harmony remote to program discrete codes into the R40. I did just that with my Harmony 880 and the R40. Programming the R40 is not that bad and much faster than using the Harmony app. I find that the R40 macros are more reliable the the 880. I hated having to press the 880's Help button when things get out of sync. The R40 can be configured to use the discrete codes so it always send the correct commands. Once you figure out how the R40 programming works it is actually pretty simple to use and much better than the Harmony way. It does require you to spend a little bit of time to learn.
post #110 of 273 Old 02-03-2013, 09:16 AM

I should mention that I only have 3 devices - Panasonic UT tv, Panasonic BDT-220 blu ray, Niro 620 amp. The Harmony has the discrete ON/OFF codes for these devices.
post #111 of 273 Old 02-03-2013, 05:17 PM

You can only program the R40 from the remote itself? Ugh.

Which URC remotes can you program from a pc that doesn't require a technician to program it for you?
post #112 of 273 Old 02-03-2013, 05:58 PM

I never liked needing a computer with my H 880. With the R40 it was actually faster to create or edit macros once the devices were all setup. I thought the Harmony app was great until I tried setting up sequences for apps. I hated the whole login, create, plug in, update, test routine with the Harmony. It was a long process. On the R40 macros can be tested as you're creating them. But the R40 is not for everyone.
post #113 of 273 Old 02-05-2013, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

You can only program the R40 from the remote itself? Ugh.

Which URC remotes can you program from a pc that doesn't require a technician to program it for you?

My experience is quite the opposite: I like the R40 (and predecessor R50) BECAUSE you don't need a PC to program them. Not only are most products in the database, but it can "learn" just about anything else AND you can swap and/or modify existing buttons. For example, I don't like having power on/off available on the remote, so I program those buttons with something else (like the TV source select).

Yamaha DSP-A1 Integrated Amp
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps and Mills resistors (R/L F/R)
(2) Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets (dual centers)
B&O TX2 Turntable
Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD
Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-Ray/DVD
Princeton AF3.0HD Monitor
Optoma HD65 Projector
post #114 of 273 Old 02-06-2013, 01:34 PM

Liked: 11
Hello everyone,

I currently have an R50 remote and since it is very similar to the R40, I was wondering if anyone can help me with a problem I am having in programming another device. The device in question is a Sherwood RX-5502 multi-zone/multi-source stereo receiver. The problem is in trying to program the volume buttons for audio playing in room 2. The way to do this on the original remote is by pressing the room 2 button and then using the volume (up/down) buttons as you normally would on the main zone. The way it works is that by pressing the room 2 button, you get into the secondary zone menu and can then select the source and control the volume. If nothing is pressed when in room 2 mode, it will revert back to main zone after a few seconds (never counted how many).

My issue is how to program a macro on my R50 remote where I can control the volume in room 2. If I make a macro for the volume up button where the room 2 button is pressed first and then the volume + button, this will not work because after the first press of the macro (say I press to increase the volume multiple times), it will look to press room 2 every time, which causes the receiver to go in and out of room 2 mode. My question is if I can make a macro whereby when I press the volume up button, it initially activates room 2 mode and then every other click of the volume up button just increases the volume, without engaging the room 2 button again?

post #115 of 273 Old 02-09-2013, 01:13 PM

If you the slightest bit technical get the URC. I much prefer manually programming , putting buttons where I want the and adding macro buttons that control my system the way I want it. No auto program will do it the way I want.
Quote:

Sony DA5300ES Receiver
DircTV DVR
Sony HT-CT150 Sound Bar
BenQ W1070 Projector

post #116 of 273 Old 02-12-2013, 10:00 AM

Liked: 14
Pulled the trigger on a URC R40. Replacing a Logitech Harmony 550 which has been an okay remote. But, since the keys on the 550 are starting to stick (after almost 7 years) it is time to upgrade. Since Logitech is trying to sell its remote business and I was never fond of the Harmony never being able to fully control all the functions of each individual remote very well, I am moving on.

I just hope that I have better luck with the "disappearing keys". Several posts in this thread reporting the problem, and also on Amazon and Remote Central. Sounds like a known bug but am surprised that URC has not addressed the issue. Deleting a device and starting over, or manually reprogramming the keys is not a fix, just a workaround.

Sounds like a great remote, but I won't be keeping it if I have the problem within the first 30 days (return period).

post #117 of 273 Old 02-12-2013, 05:52 PM

I suggest you don't use the built-in device codes. They are mostly generic for each brand and add buttons that may not work for your devices. If you have the original remotes for your devices use them to program the R40. I also suggest that you use the Harmony 550 to Learn the discrete codes such as power on/off for your devices. There might be several discrete codes available for your devices that may not be on the original remotes. They will make macros work much better.

As mentioned by another poster, the disappearing keys appears to be a problem that happens when a button is programmed (Learn) more than once for the same device. I haven't had this issue since I made sure not to make any mistakes during the Learning process. It might be a good idea to create a check list to keep track of "Learned" buttons to avoid mistakes during programming. If you do make a mistake then it only takes a few minutes to start over and it's actually a good exercise for focus and patience.
post #118 of 273 Old 02-13-2013, 01:23 PM

Hey, thanks for the suggestions Uber......

If I manually configure each device, do I have to end up configuring the "common" keys also? (Number keys, arrow keys, transport, volume, etc.).

Yes, I plan on getting all of the discrete power on/off commands from my Harmony. Most of the original remotes for the devices just use the toggle power.

What bothers me most about this remote is the limited documentation and having to use the "trial and error" method of configuring.

post #119 of 273 Old 02-13-2013, 02:46 PM

Yes every button will need to be Learned. It doesn't take too long to do. Documentation is definitely limited but after you create a device or a macro a couple of times you should find the remote very easy and straight forward to program.
post #120 of 273 Old 02-23-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberfarben View Post

Yes every button will need to be Learned. It doesn't take too long to do. Documentation is definitely limited but after you create a device or a macro a couple of times you should find the remote very easy and straight forward to program.

This is the most F_-_-D up remote to configure that I have ever seen. I did not use the codes as you guys suggested but "Learned" EVERY key for EVERY device manually. When I try to use Menu button, numeric keys, and several other keys, they do not work. I work in IT, and configure routers, firewalls, and numerous other devices daily for a living but this remote is a NIGHTMARE. The device-specific keys that I programed on the LCD screen work fine, but all the hard keys on the main part of the remote don't work worth a $hit.

Doesn't help that the Quick Start Guide is a joke.

Can someone give me some pointers, a step-by-step as to how to configure this thing or something. I tried a factory reset and started over (so I have wasted over 4 hours) but still can't get the hard keys to function.

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Urc R40 My Favorite Remote Advanced Universal Remote Control For Up To 18 A V Components , Remotes And Controllers , Mx 780 Universal Remote Control , Panasonic

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page