Official URC R40 Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 272 Old 06-11-2013, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Amazon has the R40 for less than $100 right now. I just ordered 3, but I'll return them if they don't have the correct firmware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 272 Old 06-13-2013, 11:12 PM

Liked: 12
Update on ny R40 replacement:

Well, I decided I liked this unit better in some ways than my URC-200 units. It certainly learns commands MUCH easier than the URC-200 does. But the disappearing command issue vexed me. So, I sent my version 1.15 to URC ten days ago. It cost me about $14 shipping to get there in 48 hours and beat the 30 day return window they gave me. I received my new replacement yesterday, loaded with version 1.19 firmware. And...it works! No more forgotten or disappearing commands. It even has a page where I can review the device codes assigned to each main page device. I don't think I've ever been happier...

You can pick up one of these bad boys at a well know online retailer now for less than a hundred. Even if it is the wrong firmware, it will only cost you about $10 to send it in a get the latest version. Enjoy!
post #183 of 272 Old 06-13-2013, 11:35 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Amazon has been shipping v1.19 for a while now. $95 is definitely a good deal.
post #184 of 272 Old 06-14-2013, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Now if only you could clone one.
post #185 of 272 Old 06-19-2013, 03:27 PM

Hi

While waiting for my R40 I would like to get to know about the 'favorites'...

I understand that there is space for (4x12)=48 favourite channel numbers, selected through the 4 coloured/Sports/Music etc. buttons,
but are there 48 favorites available for each configured Device please?
[see PS below, for R50= 48 total, referring to a specific device]

How many different coloured backgrounds for the Favorite buttons can be selected instead of channel logos?
[see PS below for R50= 8 solid coloured buttons with an optional text label]

Could a spare device be set up with ordinary commands learned to the numeric buttons 0-9, so they can be employed in 'pseudo-favorite' macros?
[see PS below for R50= numbers, 'enter', 'dot/dash', and 'pause']
(if so, could it work for processes which need several stages: stage1=long press on 'Sports' do 'something' and goto Sports-favorites: Stage2=press one of the Sports page pseudo-favorite buttons etc.?)

Can it be done, or how best to be able to access both the four sets of 'Favorites' AND have Colour Button commands on the four favorite keys?
Regards
Chris

PS. 20.6.13
In the remotecentral.com review for R50 "...There are 8 pages of favorite channels, giving the R50 a total of 48 macros with 10 steps each. The only commands that can be used are numbers, [Enter], [Dot/Dash], and [Pause] for increased delays, and each macro must reference a specific device. As for button customization there’s a built-in gallery of 52 official network logos, plus 8 solid color buttons in combination with an optional text label for any network that isn’t covered. Of note, it would have been nice to have access to those solid color buttons for use with normal devices as well. Favorite channels can’t be rearranged once created, so some advanced planning will be beneficial..." so perhaps R40 is the same, although seem to remember '12 steps' from somewhere

See http://www.remotecentral.com/ftp/mx500/documentation/MX500OwnersManual.pdf
for P25 of the MX500 manual:
"Tip: (For Advanced Users) To make even more powerful FAV macros, you can learn codes from your original remote(s) to the 0-9, ENTER, DISPLAY, POWER, SYSTEM OFF, and INFO/PAUSE buttons in any device, and use them in your FAV macros. (This will not work if you have already applied a preprogrammed device code to those buttons.)
For example: Some televisions require you to send out a code after the digits other than the ENTER code in order to change channels. For this, you could LEARN the proper code to the ENTER button from your original television remote, and use that in your FAV macro. If you are creative, you can learn any codes to these buttons and make your FAV macros do almost anything!"
post #186 of 272 Old 06-20-2013, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
There are 48 favorites TOTAL. To be honest, I like how the favs work on the R50 more than the R40, but you get used to it; the way they laid it out is different.

Yamaha DSP-A1 Integrated Amp
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps and Mills resistors (R/L F/R)
(2) Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets (dual centers)
B&O TX2 Turntable
Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD
Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-Ray/DVD
Princeton AF3.0HD Monitor
Optoma HD65 Projector
post #187 of 272 Old 06-23-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idicev View Post

...How many different coloured backgrounds for the Favorite buttons can be selected instead of channel logos?
[see PS below for R50= 8 solid coloured buttons with an optional text label]

Could a spare device be set up with ordinary commands learned to the numeric buttons 0-9, so they can be employed in 'pseudo-favorite' macros?
[see PS below for R50= numbers, 'enter', 'dot/dash', and 'pause']
(if so, could it work for processes which need several stages: stage1=long press on 'Sports' do 'something' and goto Sports-favorites: Stage2=press one of the Sports page pseudo-favorite buttons etc.?)

Can it be done, or how best to be able to access both the four sets of 'Favorites' AND have Colour Button commands on the four favorite keys?

PS
R50 review said: "For example: Some televisions require you to send out a code after the digits other than the ENTER code in order to change channels. For this, you could LEARN the proper code to the ENTER button from your original television remote, and use that in your FAV macro. If you are creative, you can learn any codes to these buttons and make your FAV macros do almost anything!"

Thank you for the reply re.48 total favorite channels.

While still awaitng the R40's arrival, this preliminary button map may not be very clear but would certainly appreciate any suggestions biggrin.gif

post #188 of 272 Old 06-24-2013, 02:17 PM

R40 arrived and It turns out that a Favourite button can, within a device, issue a single command, a macro, or a single command and a delayed macro, just like any other hard button.

When the 'Main' screen is shown, each favorite button can additionally display two pages of six soft buttons under one of the arbitrary Favorite headings, Sports, Music, Movies, and News, and these can be individually labelled against an icon as the background, or one of seven plain background colours. Although a category might as well contain favorites for only one device, each one can optionally refer to a different device.

Since the main screen seems to have to be opened first before the soft buttons for favorite channels can be displayed, there is now no obvious point in trying to make use of them for non-numeric macros.
post #189 of 272 Old 07-27-2013, 01:41 PM

Liked: 11
I just got this remote and I setup my devices o.k. in quick setup. I'm try to get the System Button to turn on my TV and with a 2 sec. delay turn on my Cable Box (due to an hdmi handshake issue) and then stay in the Cable menu. I tried Add System Button menu in Quick Setup but it will not retain my settings. Do I have a defected remote or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
William
post #190 of 272 Old 07-27-2013, 03:09 PM

Liked: 12
Try using Advanced Setup and go to Macros. Hitting the pause button adds 0.5 second delay each time. I use 1.0 second for my macros.
post #191 of 272 Old 07-28-2013, 03:12 AM

Thanks for the help..as long as I keep it going to the Main screen as a last "Go To" it works alright. I just have to switch over to Cable after I turn the two on and switch back to Main screen to turn them off. I think I must be missing something here my little URC WR7 will do what I need this one to do with no problem.
post #192 of 272 Old 07-28-2013, 04:33 AM

Quote:
".... I'm trying to get the System Button to turn on my TV and with a 2 sec. delay turn on my Cable Box (due to an hdmi handshake issue) and then stay in the Cable menu...."
Quote:
"....as long as I keep it going to the Main screen as a last "Go To" it works alright. I just have to switch over to Cable after I turn the two on and switch back to Main screen to turn them off..."

I take it that the 'system button' means the Main button labelled 'Cable', and that you don't need to change TV inputs because you are relying upon CEC, so perhaps the macro placed on the [Main: Cable button] could look like this:

001: TV TvPower
002: Delay 2secs
003: Cable CablePower

In this example the CablePower instruction would need to be learned to a button in the Cable pages so it should not need an '004: Goto Cable' because 003: instruction would already refer to that Cable page.

To turn off both, a macro 'Off' within Cable could include CableOff, TvOff, ...... and if TvOff was not learned to the first page of Main, '+ (Goto Main,n)'

What do your macros look like?
post #193 of 272 Old 07-28-2013, 10:10 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by William K View Post

Thanks for the help..as long as I keep it going to the Main screen as a last "Go To" it works alright. I just have to switch over to Cable after I turn the two on and switch back to Main screen to turn them off. I think I must be missing something here my little URC WR7 will do what I need this one to do with no problem.

You need to have both the TV and CableBox set up as devices, with a button for 'on' and one for 'off' inside each device. Use these from the macro to set the devices on, then 'goto CableBox Page 1' as the last step.

If you can manually walk through this process, then there is no reason why a macro should not work.
post #194 of 272 Old 07-28-2013, 11:46 AM

Thanks for the help, I'll give it a shot..I'm new to this so it may take me a while, I've been pulling my hair out trying to get it to work the way I want. Just when I started to make some gains my Media player and TV start working from the same on/off commands from the factory WDTV remote mad.gif
post #195 of 272 Old 07-28-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashMeister View Post

You need to have both the TV and CableBox set up as devices, with a button for 'on' and one for 'off' inside each device. Use these from the macro to set the devices on, then 'goto CableBox Page 1' as the last step.

If you can manually walk through this process, then there is no reason why a macro should not work.

So I have the TV and the Cable both setup and you are saying to put both on/off in each one and have two macros setup, one for on and one for off?
post #196 of 272 Old 07-29-2013, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashMeister

Quote:

So I have the TV and the Cable both setup and you are saying to put both on/off in each one and have two macros setup, one for on and one for off?

Apologies for causing any confusion.

In response to your original enquiry Crashmeister was right.
Reading your post again I now understand you want to use the "system" button, the one at the top right with a red power symbol on it, and believe that this is the button recommended for your macro "to get the System Button to turn on my TV and with a 2 sec. delay turn on my Cable Box".

Best first to get that working. Then you can decide what other macro you want to set up to turn things off.

btw. if you are relying on teaching commands from original remotes, they usually just have a Power ("toggle") command which serves both to come out of standby and to go back to standby, which is usually all you need. However some devices can also respond to specific ("discrete") power commands, one flavour for On and another for Off. They can sometimes be found on, and learned from, other universal remotes e.g. Harmony which has a very extensive database of commands, and can be useful for ensuring that certain macros will work consistently.
post #197 of 272 Old 07-29-2013, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I know this might be a bit of a "left turn" for some of you macro freaks, but not only do I no longer use the "all on/off" type macros, I don't even program the power keys into my remote. Why? Because I don't want to accidently turn something off (or on), especially hi-power devices like TV's and AMP's; in fact, I NEVER turn my DVR off (all it really does it kill the video outs anyway). Turning what I need on and/or off is usually the first/last thing I do on any given day--and I'm usually walking in/out of the family room when I do it.

B&O TX2 Turntable
Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD
Optoma HD65 Projector
post #198 of 272 Old 07-29-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanton View Post

I know this might be a bit of a "left turn" for some of you macro freaks, but not only do I no longer use the "all on/off" type macros, I don't even program the power keys into my remote. Why? Because I don't want to accidently turn something off (or on), especially hi-power devices like TV's and AMP's; in fact, I NEVER turn my DVR off (all it really does it kill the video outs anyway). Turning what I need on and/or off is usually the first/last thing I do on any given day--and I'm usually walking in/out of the family room when I do it.
Thanks. Being a relative beginner too and knowing the frustrations, R40's booklet is very sparse and in fact I did not even remember where the system button was! OP is indeed just doing what is suggested by the layout but agree that with R40 it's nice to free to do it the way that eventually suits best. At least knew what he was trying to do, which is not a bad starting point - before my comment that was biggrin.gif
post #199 of 272 Old 07-29-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanton View Post

I never really thought about it...I did read an article last year somewhere saying that your DVR uses more electricity than anything in your house except the refrig. So it wouldn't be so important to kill the outputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idicev View Post

Thanks. Being a relative beginner too and knowing the frustrations, R40's booklet is very sparse and in fact I did not even remember where the system button was! OP is indeed just doing what is suggested by the layout but agree that with R40 it's nice to free to do it the way that eventually suits best. At least knew what he was trying to do, which is not a bad starting point - before my comment that was biggrin.gif

Thanks again for the help...I did get the System button to turn on the TV and Cable, I just need it to switch over to Cable now at the end of the macro. I did notice on the 4th page of my main TV screen whitch was setup from Quick Setup it did in fact include separate on/off buttons that do seam to be discrete. Maybe I can use these somehow...still learning, but I do like the remote so far. I also noticed that the "add system button" part of Quick Setup keeps losing the Cable "Delay" I keep putting in there, BUT it does in fact still seem to have a delay in the sequence.
post #200 of 272 Old 07-29-2013, 05:24 PM

Have not recently been using Quick Setup so I don't know if you have discovered that using theThumbpad-ArrowsDisc is the best way to navigate..... and Advanced-ok> Macros-ok> Right-on-thumbpad repeated twice> 'Edit Existing Macro'-ok .....is the best way to get to 'On the main menu'/ 'Inside a Device' etc. to edit and especially for reviewing the macros....
post #201 of 272 Old 08-03-2013, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I never really thought about it...I did read an article last year somewhere saying that your DVR uses more electricity than anything in your house except the refrig. So it wouldn't be so important to kill the outputs.

Since you mentioned it, I know EXACTLY how much power my A/V equipment draws since I put something called a "modlet" (from a company called "ThinkEco") on it a few months ago.

1) DVR ~ 70 Watts (continuous)
2) HDTV ~ 110 Watts (when on) Note: it's a TUBE
3) AMP/Receiver ~ 70 Watts (when on)
4) Blu-Ray Player ~ 25 Watts (when on)
5) Linksys Bridge (Router conversion) ~ 25 Watts (continuous)

So basically my stereo/home theater setup draws about 100 Watts continuous (even when not in use). Even when in full movie mode, this pales in comparison to charging my Leaf at night (but I'm not complaining)! Check my sig for equipment types. Note: I don't have a meter/modlet where I plug-in my projector, but I only use it a couple times a month (unless we're doing a Star Wars/Star Trek/Alien/Matrix/Batman/Bourne marathon).

B&O TX2 Turntable
Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD
Optoma HD65 Projector
post #202 of 272 Old 08-06-2013, 03:02 PM

Anyone using a screen protector on there remote? I noticed that it scratches rather easily:rolleyes:
post #203 of 272 Old 08-14-2013, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 448
I recently changed some of my HT setup around and have to teach more commands to my old R40 and it's randomly erasing some existing commands that were previously working fine.

So i just called URC and spoke with Tech Support and explained my issues with it losing learned codes, then asked if my malfunctioning R40's 1.14 firmware could somehow be updated to 1.19 by me or by them, or if they would be willing to replace it with an updated remote and they refused. They said since it's beyond the 1-year warranty they'd have to sell me a new one with the newer firmware for a discount, but with shipping the price would be about the same as buying it from Amazon.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #204 of 272 Old 08-14-2013, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Randy

I just sent mine out last Friday. I called tech support and they did ask me when I purchased it. I didn't know off hand, and he said it didn't matter. They are going to send a new unit. They said "new" so I don't know if that means refurbished with the latest firmware or brand new. Once I looked up the order I had place on Amazon, I was only a matter of a few days short of one year. I would call again. They knew this was an issue since these were initially released and they should take care of it no questions asked, In fact saying it's an issue is being kind. It's an all out defect.
post #205 of 272 Old 08-16-2013, 07:41 PM

I am interested in using this device to control a new smart HDTV (Sony) Its controller has a "Sony Entertainment Network" button and a NETFLIX button. Will I be able to duplicate these on the URC R40?

Thanks,
Bruce
post #206 of 272 Old 08-17-2013, 11:38 AM

Bruce, reckon that because Sony commands have not usually been known as 'difficult' you should be ok teaching the commands from the Sony smart Tv's own remote.

However for some devices, e.g. Huawei You View box D370T, it just cannot learn the codes...
I was advised about that by a Jp1 expert who kindly modified an existing upgrade so I could use its 'protocol' to learn the commands with an Insignia remote (Jp1).
- still could not transfer them to R40 though so it does have its blind spots, although Harmony coped with it just fine.

I believe there may be three protocol types for Sony Tvs so it might be worth specifying the model number so someone can say from experience whether R40 can learn for it.

Chris
post #207 of 272 Old 08-18-2013, 06:36 PM

Thanks Chris,
The Sony is a KDL 70 R550A.

I'm encouraged by what you say and think I'll give the remote a try.
post #208 of 272 Old 08-18-2013, 11:20 PM

I just tried KDL-70 R550A Power command derived from another remote's database, and R40 learns it Ok
post #209 of 272 Old 08-20-2013, 08:49 AM

Hello to all!

Recently bought R40.
I have the device Antec VERIS Premier. I tried to learn R40, but neither command fired after learning. When learning says that all Ok, sends commands, but nothing works frown.gif.

Is it possible to flash the remote yourself with the Fw 1.14 to Fw 1.19?
post #210 of 272 Old 08-22-2013, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixb View Post

Hello to all!

Recently bought R40.
I have the device Antec VERIS Premier. I tried to learn R40, but neither command fired after learning. When learning says that all Ok, sends commands, but nothing works frown.gif.

Is it possible to flash the remote yourself with the Fw 1.14 to Fw 1.19?

Unfortunately the device is not "field serviceable" (can't flash).
However, that's probably NOT your problem; there are lots of (infrared) devices that learning remotes just can't register and you may have one of them (it isn't an RF remote, right). My suggestions are:
1) try a different learning remote (some people have a couple of old ones); then try teaching the R40 with THAT learning remote (I've done this with an old Marantz).
2) buy/borrow an "off the shelf" pre-programmed remote (if it has your device) and then try teaching the R40 with THAT remote.

Sometimes old/obscure remotes are in a part of the infrared range that doesn't "take".

B&O TX2 Turntable
Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD
Optoma HD65 Projector
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Urc R40 My Favorite Remote Advanced Universal Remote Control For Up To 18 A V Components , Remotes And Controllers , Mx 780 Universal Remote Control , Panasonic

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page