DirecTV & Zone 2 audio delay - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-05-2012, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I know this has been discussed many times regarding the audio delay in zone 2 when using a digital signal in the main area and an analog signal for zone 2. However, my Marantz 6006 passes digital audio to zone 2 when the signal is PCM 2 channel. Selecting different sound modes in the Marantz doesn't work but changing the DirecTV audio format from Dolby Digital to PCM allows the audio to pass to zone 2. My real question is, is there a discrete command for the remote that will switch off DD and change to PCM when zone 2 is turned on? Then, when zone 2 is powered off, I'll send a command to the receiver to re-enable DD sound. I know i can muddle through the receiver menu and do it manually, but that is tedious and has very low WAF. Sounds like it will work if only a command for the DirecTV exists.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-05-2012, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 321
There is no discrete command for that. You'll have to use a macro.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-05-2012, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

There is no discrete command for that. You'll have to use a macro.

That's what I didn't want to hear. But, if it works, I'll try it. That'll be an interesting macro. I'd like to do it via IP rather than IR, so I might need to go to plan B.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-05-2012, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 321
I have a macro to toggle parental controls that's around 15 steps. Is DD any worse than that? Anyway, you'll need a delay of a second or two after initially entering the menus, then you can go fast again after that. It would be nice if you could shortcut to menu items by number like you can on Dish, but you still couldn't do that last time I checked.

If you're wondering how I know there is no discrete for DD, it's because I tried all 256 possible commands and it wasn't there. Only 50 of those codes do anything.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-05-2012, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

I have a macro to toggle parental controls that's around 15 steps. Is DD any worse than that? Anyway, you'll need a delay of a second or two after initially entering the menus, then you can go fast again after that. It would be nice if you could shortcut to menu items by number like you can on Dish, but you still couldn't do that last time I checked.

If you're wondering how I know there is no discrete for DD, it's because I tried all 256 possible commands and it wasn't there. Only 50 of those codes do anything.

Thanks I appreciate it. Now I don't have to search the codes. ;-). The macro, compared to the one you are using, shouldn't be that many steps I hope. But, with the proper delay it should work fine.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-06-2012, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Another though I had that involves a macro is going back to component and then using digital audio for the 5.1. Then when the kitchen is involved, have an analog input into an AUX input and upon switching the kitchen on, change the input for the main sitting area to analog.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-29-2012, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

My fix to the above problem: route all zone 2 analog audio out the zone 2 pre-out, through a Sonos ZP-80 and then through a sherbourn 2/150 auto sensing amp. The delay in the zonos line in is just perfect enough to match audio with the main zone. When the main zone needs a sonos feed, it comes from the sherbourn line out feed and into the cd input on the main room avr. Works like a charm.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page