Harmony 1100 with RF extender.... Cables too short - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-24-2012, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hello all. I am building a dedicated theatre in Sydney Australia. I have the Harmony 1100 with the RF extender kit. All of my equipment is out of the room and to run the cables, it's distance of about 20-25 feet from the ir emitters to the receiver. The cables supplied by Logitech are too short. Is it possible to extend the length of the cables with speaker wire or the like? May be a silly question but I am hoping someone has a solution. Logitech Australia customer support were of little use as the rf extender is not sold domestically.
Thanks
Greg.

Follow my thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-24-2012, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Preferably the extender should be placed near the equipment and the remote should have good range to the extender for about 30-40 feet. The only exception that I typically find is if you have a projector or need to control lighting which is not near the equipment.

You can splice emitters with cat5 cable and extend them that way, I have a 35 ft extension to my projector. I decided to solder 3.5mm jacks on to the cat5 so I wouldn't have to cut the emitters. Simply needed a mono male to male cable at the extender and then plug the emitter at the other end where the projector is.

The other option is a 3.5mm male to female extension cable of the necessary length. Should be able to find online.

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 Old 01-24-2012, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Oman,
I will wire up a cable with 3.5mm plugs.
Appreciate your help. One think I have plenty of is CAT 6 cable!

Cheers

Greg

Follow my thread
post #4 of 5 Old 01-24-2012, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Like Oman mentioned, it sounds like you are doing something backwards. Put the receiver with your equipment. As long as the 1100 is within about 30-40 feet it should work fine.

Unless you have one device that is separate from the other devices there should be no need to run any long cables. Usually the exception is running a cable to a projector from the equipment closet.

post #5 of 5 Old 01-25-2012, 03:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

Like Oman mentioned, it sounds like you are doing something backwards. Put the receiver with your equipment. As long as the 1100 is within about 30-40 feet it should work fine.

Unless you have one device that is separate from the other devices there should be no need to run any long cables. Usually the exception is running a cable to a projector from the equipment closet.

Thanks for your help. It was mainly the projector issue that i was trying to remedy. Appreciate your feedback... Much appreciated!
Greg

Follow my thread
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Harmony 1100 Remcontrol

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page