Seeking Guidance! Android Universal Remote Choices - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-30-2012, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello AVS'ers...

Looking for some help in determining what my options are for getting a universal remote for my living room setup.

I am over my head and can't figure out what I should go with based upon the 30+ threads and searches I've done on here.

I am looking for an Android based/supported universal remote to run on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 running Honeycomb 3.2 as well as my Samsung Galaxy Nexus runnings ICS 4.0.2. I am well versed with side-loading etc so if something works but isn't officialy supported I can deal with it.

I have 3 components to control:
Samsung LED TV - UN55D8000
Comcast Motorola Cablebox/DVR - DCT3416/2305
Sony Playstation 3

For the remote software itself I'm lookign for it to perform all the native functions of the remotes for each of the components. I wouldn't mind of the interface was customizable with user defined graphics and button placements. I understand macros and if those are supported it would be a plus but mostly looking to take all of the native remote functions and use them thru my tablet.

I've started looking at the iRule, Redeye, Logitech Harmony Link, Griffin Beacon and TouchSquid.

Could someone help clarify if any of these options would support my needs and what else I may need to purchase to get going... I keep reading postes regarding the Global Cache iTach WF2IR or IP2IR... but also not sure what interface I would need for the PS3 support (only thing I can find is the Logitech PS3 adapter).

I have a fairly decent budget ~$200, so hopefully my goal of an android based universal remote to control those 3 components isn't a pipe dream. Thanks for any of the help provided, lookign forward to see what the community offers for options and guidance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-30-2012, 12:25 PM

If you have already not figured it out the options are very limited. I am seeking the same thing.

I started with Redeye and bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 to be my control center.

10+ hours later and multiple phone calls I figured out this will not work. The reason is that Redeye support does not know anything about Android they only know IOS. To make it worse, the setup needs to be done on a PC and they don't have a clue how Windows works.

So I would highly recommend a pass on RedEye.

Then started working on Harmony Link - it says it supports Android but it does not support Tablets. This took two phone calls and about 30 minutes with tech support for them to figure out that they don't support it.

If you read the Harmony support Forum you will see the folks screaming for a Tablet software upgrade among other things. They don't seem to responsive to the posts about that.

Of the two the Redeye looked most promising but I don't do Apple or IOS. If you do then it might be worth another look.

In the meantime, if anyone finds a solution, please let me know.

Phil
post #3 of 11 Old 02-09-2012, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Hey Phil,
I ended up trying the Logitech route just to see how well a solution would work. Suffice to say, the idea is great but the implementation sucks. Both Logitech devices are on the way back to Amazon as I type this.

After some more research, I'm running the iTach WF2IR device with a REBL-X IR2BT adapter and using iRule as the interface on the tablet to control it all.

So far I'm very happy with it all. My only concern right now is finding a compatible omnidirectional IR blaster to hook to the iTach so it will work similar to the Link w/o needing direct line of site to control a device.
post #4 of 11 Old 02-12-2012, 05:36 PM

I currently am using a Y splitter and 2 blasters hooked up to port 3 and an emitter hooked up to port 2. The Itach is on my projector shelf about 15' from my 60" plasma(Electric screen comes down in front of Plasma). I have 1 blaster aimed at Plasma and another blaster pointed at my Equipment rack in front corner. Works flawlessly! Also tried redeye, Played around with iRule(still Playing with), settled on Roomie with iPad: Would like to use my 7" android tablet when I have time to do something with iRule. But anyway, go to radioshack and pick up a 1/8" y splitter and order another blaster from amazon.

Jim
post #5 of 11 Old 02-14-2012, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Poking around Amazon I found this...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

Just came in today, hooked it to port 3 on the GC iTach and added my TV & DVR to the 3rd channel in the gateway and it works perfect!

I saved using an extra port if I were to go with a single IR blaster so now port 2 is still available on the iTach.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-14-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNPalmer View Post

Hey Phil,
I ended up trying the Logitech route just to see how well a solution would work. Suffice to say, the idea is great but the implementation sucks. Both Logitech devices are on the way back to Amazon as I type this.

After some more research, I'm running the iTach WF2IR device with a REBL-X IR2BT adapter and using iRule as the interface on the tablet to control it all.

So far I'm very happy with it all. My only concern right now is finding a compatible omnidirectional IR blaster to hook to the iTach so it will work similar to the Link w/o needing direct line of site to control a device.

Hi, may I ask in what way(s) the Logitech didn't appeal to you? I'm also looking into getting a Universal Remote for my setup (Samsung PDP51", PS3, WDTV Live, Oppo DVD player, and HK ACR330 receiver), as it's cumbersome using 4 different remotes 'in the dark' (when I mostly use my system). So far was considering the older Logitech 620 for $70 (unfortunately, this is the best I can get it for here in Asia). After seeing your post, I'd like to know why it didn't work out for you, as it may still be fine for my needs. Thanks.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-14-2012, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Sherpa,
For me the Logitech devices themselves are extremely nice. They have a great style and universal compatibility based upon the Logitech "My Harmony" website database of supported devices.

That's about where it ended for me. I'm using my Galaxy Tab 10.1 to control my 3 devices. The Logitech interface completely lacked any polish. It did not support the tablet natively (I had to side-load the .apk), it was extremely clunky and was not enjoyable to use. It also lacked any integration with any TV listings nor did it allow for much customization of the interface.

The lack of those features pretty much turned me off as well as the apparent lack of any support as noted in their forums for many users complaining about true Android support never mind true tablet support.

Hope this helps.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-14-2012, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Sherpa,

I don't think you and Palmer are talking about the same thing. He's talking about the Link which is very different from the 620. The Link is terrible, but the 620 is a very good remote. It will work well for your situation. I'm surprised the newer, cheaper 600 isn't available there. That's really the best model for you.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-12-2012, 12:50 PM

Has anyone tried using a Logitech revue and the app available for that? I tried the revue out for about a month before I returned it just so I could get a feel for what GTV 2.0 was like but I didn't really get a chance to put the associated control app to the test. I can't imagine it would be any better than Harmony Link though and I don't know whether it supports honeycomb.

I like the idea of using iRule since it is completely customizable and you could integrate it with your home automation it just seems like a lot of effort to set up properly. I'll definitely be looking more into it.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-12-2012, 03:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I've been using the TouchSquid remote since early January and have been quite happy with it. In terms of customization and button layout, it's pretty impressive (and simple) to do once you get the hang of it. I've used it with the built-in IR blaster, and also via WiFi with the GC WF2IR device - works great either way. You can check out some of my screenshots over at the TSR thread here...only a few pages long right now. I included a few screenshots below:

I just bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 and downloaded the TSR app for it, and it seems to work pretty well via WiFi and WF2IR, except for sometimes the Yamaha receiver stops responding to commands. But I think that might be user error where my main Profile had too many Devices (eight is max IIRC, and I had a ninth one for a while but things starting acting weird). You should have no problems controlling your three Devices.

Plus you can download the Xfinity TV app to use with your Comcast STB. Makes selecting TV shows and OnDemand movies pretty cool thru the tablet itself!

still one of my favorite bumper stickers of all time...

FREE TIBET! *
* with purchase of equal or lesser Tibet
post #11 of 11 Old 11-18-2012, 06:57 AM

I find the touchsquid to be fickle. Sometimes it works perfectly, and sometimes it does nothing. The interface seems OK, but not very adjustable.
I originally wanted something that was all in one, like the squid, but am now thinking that using some of the other options listed here (like the itach) may be a better idea.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page