Another newbie...rf remote and an iPad app?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 01-31-2012, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Been snooping around for a while and love the site. Looking for an rf remote to control my marantz 6006, Samsung LCD tv and blue ray player, and my scientific Atlanta hd box. I have been looking at the Logitech 900 and The urc rfs 200 power pack bundle, and recently someone mentioned the control4 to me but I have not looked at it yet. My equipment will be in one of spare bedroom closets and my tv in the living. However the closet wall is shared with my living room so the distance is only about 15-20 ft but will also have 2 speakers outside which is another 20 ft away and I would like to be able to sit out there and control everything as well. Price range is $250 and under. Also is there a certain remote I would need to have everything work with iPad app as well or are they two separate things? Will I be able to have different volume levels on each zone at the same time? And will any of these remotes allow me to control zone 2.

I hope i gave enough information for someone (people) to assist me.

Thanks for any and all help. I am trying to educate myself a little as I am new to most of this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-31-2012, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Anything? No one wants to even lie to me to make me feel better?
post #3 of 21 Old 01-31-2012, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wriley1 View Post

Anything? No one wants to even lie to me to make me feel better?

Well, I won't lie but I'll try and make you feel a wee bit better. I also have the 6006 and I control it with URC and the Marantz Wizapp which controls it via IP. It's free and it controls all three zones if you have them, it won't control anything else. I have also dabbled with iRule, which with the help of a Global Cache unit, control anything you want, including the Marantz via IP. As for a wand style remote, there are several choices but for $250 it's gonna be tough, maybe flea bay. I know nothing about Harmony.
post #4 of 21 Old 01-31-2012, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. I searched for the app but couldn't find it. What do I need to search for in The app store? How is the irule working out for you and the 6006 and your other devices?

Thanks

What urc do u use?

Update I found the app but would still like to know how you like irule with it and what urc you have
post #5 of 21 Old 01-31-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the response. I searched for the app but couldn't find it. What do I need to search for in The app store? How is the irule working out for you and the 6006 and your other devices?

Thanks

What urc do u use?

Update I found the app but would still like to know how you like irule with it and what urc you have

Glad you found it. One thing of note, with the Marantz remote, go into the setup and set the network standby to enabled. Otherwise you won't connect unless the unit is turned on.

I use an MX-900 with a MRF-260 RF receiver. Works very well together. As for iRule, it has it's quirks but all in all it's very flexible and I like what I use it for. I would like to try Demopad or CommandFusion as they seem even more capable right now.
post #6 of 21 Old 01-31-2012, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Help me see why spending 3-4 times the money on the mx900 and receiver vs the Rfs200 bundle system?
post #7 of 21 Old 02-01-2012, 03:10 AM

Quote:

Help me see why spending 3-4 times the money on the mx900 and receiver vs the Rfs200 bundle system?

Well, an MX900 will be rock solid. I had a RF10 bundle once and the interference on the MRF100 receiver was awful that led to a very frustrating situation. Secondly, the programming capability is exponentialy more powerful, from variables to complex macros to URC Lutron lighting if you desire. I am not saying the RFS200 won't do what you want, but it is just a personal preference. Even Harmony would work, I just don't have experience with them.
post #8 of 21 Old 02-01-2012, 03:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
You can accomplish what you want and more quite easily with an iPad and a Global Cache iTach unit. If you already have an iPad, you're golden. Look for apps such as iRule, Demopad, Command Fusuion, and Roomie. Control4 is more for professional programming and setup.
post #9 of 21 Old 02-01-2012, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. I already have an ipad2 so I guess I only need the global cache unit. Where do you recommend ordering that from? Which app do you recommend for a beginner? I will only be controlling my 6006 av rec, Samsung blue ray and Samsung LCD 3d tv and my hd cable box. Will not need to control any lights. Looking for the most user friendly as my wife will need to be able to use it as well
post #10 of 21 Old 02-01-2012, 08:36 AM

Hi wriley,
I too am looking into the Global Cache iTach unit but I am an Android user so my software/GUI options are EXTREMELY limited. I'm also looking to control a PS3 so my options get een slimmer! So far the iRule solutions looks like my best options for configuration/customizations. I could also go with a complete Logitech solution with the Link & PS3 adapter but poor reviews and no true tablet support makest he choice difficult.

I found this here: http://remoteshoppe.com/m-75-global-cache.aspx
Seems like a very good place, nice write-ups, and decent prices.

If anyone can recommend anything for Android (sorry for the minor thread jack) I'd be truly grateful.
post #11 of 21 Old 02-01-2012, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Is there a trial period for the irule? It says its a free app but how long do I have before I have to purchase one of the options they give?

Thanks
post #12 of 21 Old 02-01-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:

Is there a trial period for the irule? It says its a free app but how long do I have before I have to purchase one of the options they give?

Thanks

It is 14 days... so I've started w/the builder site and started messing with templates etc but I have no hardware to test with
post #13 of 21 Old 02-01-2012, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the response. I already have an ipad2 so I guess I only need the global cache unit. Where do you recommend ordering that from? Which app do you recommend for a beginner? I will only be controlling my 6006 av rec, Samsung blue ray and Samsung LCD 3d tv and my hd cable box. Will not need to control any lights. Looking for the most user friendly as my wife will need to be able to use it as well

If you are a beginner, I would recommend Roomie. There's a Roomie thread here on AVS.
post #14 of 21 Old 02-01-2012, 10:03 AM

The good news with your 6006 is that is network ready and you can test it immediately. Then you can continue to build and create if you like it.
post #15 of 21 Old 02-01-2012, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

This is probably a dumb question, but could you please elaborate on how it is network ready and I can test it then I can continue to build and create it?

Also I ordered a global cache wf2ir, please tell me I ordered the right one for my devices. I appreciate all the help and am still trying to wrap my head around everything

Thanks
post #16 of 21 Old 02-01-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:

This is probably a dumb question, but could you please elaborate on how it is network ready and I can test it then I can continue to build and create it?

Also I ordered a global cache wf2ir, please tell me I ordered the right one for my devices. I appreciate all the help and am still trying to wrap my head around everything

Thanks

It's IP ready in that because it has a network connection and has an app with control ability, you can control it from iRule with nothing more than the correct network commands sent. They are in iRule already under Marantz SR network devices. It's very simple with the default templates to create and test. Run through the tutorials and you'll see.
post #17 of 21 Old 02-01-2012, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Am I going to have everything I need to control my equipment with roomie?

I am getting a marantz 6006 av rec and have a Samsung 3d tv, Samsung blue ray player, and a scientific Atlanta hd Dvr box

I ordered the global cache wf2ir, am I going to need anything else

I appreciate the help as I would be screwed without this forum and the help everyone gives

Thanks
post #18 of 21 Old 02-02-2012, 03:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Am I going to have everything I need to control my equipment with roomie?

I am getting a marantz 6006 av rec and have a Samsung 3d tv, Samsung blue ray player, and a scientific Atlanta hd Dvr box

I ordered the global cache wf2ir, am I going to need anything else

I appreciate the help as I would be screwed without this forum and the help everyone gives

Thanks

iPad, check
GC WF2IR, check
Roomie App, check

Yep, you're ready to go.
post #19 of 21 Old 02-04-2012, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Can I control my tv with my iPad if my wf2ir is in the closet in the other room controlling my av receiver and other equipment. Help please

Thanks
post #20 of 21 Old 02-05-2012, 04:46 AM

Quote:

Can I control my tv with my iPad if my wf2ir is in the closet in the other room controlling my av receiver and other equipment. Help please

Thanks

Maybe. I am doing this, but have extended an emitter from the av closet in the other room with my itach ip2ir. If you have some sort of extra wire running from your av closet to the back of the tv, you can do this. I used an extra run of rg6.

Also, check to see if your devices are ip controllable (roomie website). Its a super userfriendly interface, it took me about 4 hours to setup 2 rooms, and 10 devices. Make sure you have dropbox to back up your settings to the cloud, and allow you to download them to any other ios device. I had a couple friends give me their old broken iphones, replaced the screens, updated ios to 4.2 or higher, and you have a spare remote! Note that old iphones are MUCH slower at running the app/sending signals, but theydo work. I would want an iphone 3g or older being my primary remote, but a great back up!
post #21 of 21 Old 02-05-2012, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Forgive my ignorance but how did you make that work. What do I plug each end of the run of rg6 into? This is my first go around of installing all this stuff and it can be very overwhelming at times. Thanks for your help
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page