Harmony 1100 with Panasonic projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-14-2012, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have programmed our Remote here at work (in our conference room) and I feel like I am at the home stretch but I have one hurdle that I have not been able to overcome. I will try to be brief with my explanation of our scenario, and I have posted my actual question at the bottom of this post.

We have the following equipment:
Device - Manufacturer -Model
BluRay Player - Pioneer - BDP-320
Cable Box - Motorola - DCT700/US
DVI Switch - Cables to Go - 39972
Projector - Panasonic - PT-AE4000
Receiver - Pioneer - VSX-1020
Remote Control - Logitech Harmony - 1100 Advanced

Now comes myself trying to stay basic with my explanation: We hired a local company to furnish and install all the equipment and they programmed the remote. Issue #1 we always had issues with the projector getting to the correct input. It was not a everyday issue but sometimes the inputs would just get out of wack and the display wouldnt work of course. Issue #2 we took either a surge or spike in our power which fried up our (too little to begin with) surge protector plug strip as well as from what I can tell some of the HDMI stuff. Local company came out and said the fan we installed in our equipment cabinet was drawing in too much dust and that is what caused all the equipment to burn up. Their solution, New receiver and new blu-ray player $$$

I took it upon myself to look into it a little further which is when I noticed 1. the tripped (Bright red LED light) surger protector in the cabinet. 2. The Blu ray player worked fine straight though to a tv in the area with HDMI input on it. 3. The HDMI output from the receiver is not working. and 4. The HDMI cable from receiver to projector (about 30' long) does not work (I just connected the known good blu ray player to the projector directly ontop a ladder and it worked, through the 30' cable it doesnt work). My quick cheap solution.. I ran component cables from the blu ray player to the receiver, and from receiver to the projector (bypassing all HDMI) Sucks BUT.... we NEVER use the projector for HD content (I think we got upsold on it just because).

Wiring Scenario:
Blu-Ray player to receiver - Video is through component, Audio through Optical.
Cable box to receiver - A/V through Composite
Receiver to projector - Component

We also have 3 computer locations inside the room, one main that has a desktop connected to it, One on the side for a laptop to plug into, and one in the front for another laptop to plug into for presentations.
The computers all have a 1/8" plug and a DVI cable that runs back to the splitter located in the same cabinet.

DVI splitter to Receiver - RCA (input to "CD")
DVI Splitter to Projector - DVI cable

Everything is working good with each other and changes inputs and controls and all the fun stuff.. I think my problem comes in from the projector not having specific buttons for specific inputs. Basically to go from HDMI1 to component input, you have to press "Input" 4 times rather quickly. I know the remote has this function but I feel like this is where some of the orignal confusion (with the projector going to the wrong input sometimes) came from. The projector does have one "Function" programmable button on the remote. I have made this function button give the projector the command to go to the component input (to go from component to DVI it is only one "input" after). I was hoping that this would help me with the control of the projector.

When I change from 2 different computer sources ("Presentation on Main" to "Presentation on side" or "Podium") the projector is changing inputs when it should stay on the current input? Is there a way for me to take that command out of the sequence? Or will that mess up everything else when I go from DVD to presentation the input function will be missing?

Any thoughts? Should I post in a projector area?
Thanks

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-14-2012, 05:48 AM

One suggestion is to get an amplifier for your hdmi cable. Get 2 - 15ft cables and insert the amplifier in between the 2 runs. Also make sure which hdmi cable is compatible with each component. Your projector maybe version 1.1a and your receiver maybe 1.3a. I wouldn't even recommend the hdmi cable for your projector any ways considering you don't need the audio portion of the cable and might be the issue. The s video cable is the same as hdmi but without the audio pins and has a stronger connection. I would use that for your projector . Use the optical for you audio.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-14-2012, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Umhhh S-video is not the same as HDMI. Component is fine running to the projector, even for HD so long as your source doesn't down convert, which it shouldn't.

I'll take a look later and try to help later if I can, if no one else chimes in. Couldn't read thru your entire issue right now.
post #4 of 7 Old 02-14-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok haas_chrs,

First check to see if the Projector offers discrete input selection. Meaning in the database their may be a command which will bring you to the input you want with just one button press. If not then you will have to continue to use the scroll method as you have been. Which is ok so long as long as you have the correct delay in order for the projector to warm up and be ready to receive the input change commands.

Go to the Projector device in the in the software. Run thru the setup wizard for the projector, eventually you should be able to select how to select inputs, choose your best option. The next screen should then give you all of the input choices. If all of them are not listed or too many are listed, then simply add or remove them.

On a Panasonic tv that I have I am able to turn off unused inputs to cut down on the number of inputs that need to be scrolled thru. If you can do this to the projector make you sure that you match the software to the actual inputs that you have active.
Finish that process and move over to the activities section.

Run thru the wizard for each activity and ensure that the correct input is listed for that activity on the projector. I would remove the added command that you have selected in the "function" command for the projector if you have added it to the start or end of an activity. Maybe you simply added it as a soft key on the screen which is ok.

Smart state should keep track of what input the projector is on and if it doesn't get there then help should fix it. If you often have to use help when starting up from and off state then the warm up delay is what you need to adjust.

You don't mention if you use an RF extender, so I'm guessing you don't. That may be the problem why input commands are missed and things not setting up correctly. Not everyone may know or realize how long you have to point at the projector while it's starting up. In any event I would say to get an extender off ebay and switch everything to RF for consistency. The extender itself is an IR Blaster so if you can give it clear line of site to the projector you should be able to fool proof this setup.

Good luck, let me know how you make out.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-15-2012, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys! Oman I'm going to try re-doing/undoing the programmed button! I am glad you mentioned turning off the inputs that aren't being used, I had the same thought but the projector menu, the owners manual and Google couldn't help me do it. I am going to add a post in the projector area to see if anyone here knows a way to do it! Also, everything is going through a RF extender, I didn't think about mentioning that in the scenario.

FWIW, all devices are on their own assigned port except the pioneer receiver and blu ray player which are sharing a port.

Thanks again for the reply and the suggestions! Probably going to try some stuff later this week on Friday to see if I have any luck!

Chris
post #6 of 7 Old 02-16-2012, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Sounds good, you may not be able to shut off unused inputs so don't worry about it too much. Since you have the extender you should be able to get things worked out regardless.

So do you have an activity setup for each computer? You are correct in that the input should not be changing if the DVI switch is selecting the computers and the projector is supposed to remain on the same input. You'll need to dig into those activities to see how they are setup.

Good luck.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-18-2012, 01:32 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by haas_chrs View Post

I have programmed our Remote here at work (in our conference room) and I feel like I am at the home stretch but I have one hurdle that I have not been able to overcome. I will try to be brief with my explanation of our scenario, and I have posted my actual question at the bottom of this post.

We have the following equipment:
Device - Manufacturer -Model
BluRay Player - Pioneer - BDP-320
Cable Box - Motorola - DCT700/US
DVI Switch - Cables to Go - 39972
Projector - Panasonic - PT-AE4000
Receiver - Pioneer - VSX-1020
Remote Control - Logitech Harmony - 1100 Advanced

Now comes myself trying to stay basic with my explanation: We hired a local company to furnish and install all the equipment and they programmed the remote. Issue #1 we always had issues with the projector getting to the correct input. It was not a everyday issue but sometimes the inputs would just get out of wack and the display wouldnt work of course. Issue #2 we took either a surge or spike in our power which fried up our (too little to begin with) surge protector plug strip as well as from what I can tell some of the HDMI stuff. Local company came out and said the fan we installed in our equipment cabinet was drawing in too much dust and that is what caused all the equipment to burn up. Their solution, New receiver and new blu-ray player $$$

I took it upon myself to look into it a little further which is when I noticed 1. the tripped (Bright red LED light) surger protector in the cabinet. 2. The Blu ray player worked fine straight though to a tv in the area with HDMI input on it. 3. The HDMI output from the receiver is not working. and 4. The HDMI cable from receiver to projector (about 30' long) does not work (I just connected the known good blu ray player to the projector directly ontop a ladder and it worked, through the 30' cable it doesnt work). My quick cheap solution.. I ran component cables from the blu ray player to the receiver, and from receiver to the projector (bypassing all HDMI) Sucks BUT.... we NEVER use the projector for HD content (I think we got upsold on it just because).

Wiring Scenario:
Blu-Ray player to receiver - Video is through component, Audio through Optical.
Cable box to receiver - A/V through Composite
Receiver to projector - Component

We also have 3 computer locations inside the room, one main that has a desktop connected to it, One on the side for a laptop to plug into, and one in the front for another laptop to plug into for presentations.
The computers all have a 1/8" plug and a DVI cable that runs back to the splitter located in the same cabinet.

DVI splitter to Receiver - RCA (input to "CD")
DVI Splitter to Projector - DVI cable

Everything is working good with each other and changes inputs and controls and all the fun stuff.. I think my problem comes in from the projector not having specific buttons for specific inputs. Basically to go from HDMI1 to component input, you have to press "Input" 4 times rather quickly. I know the remote has this function but I feel like this is where some of the orignal confusion (with the projector going to the wrong input sometimes) came from. The projector does have one "Function" programmable button on the remote. I have made this function button give the projector the command to go to the component input (to go from component to DVI it is only one "input" after). I was hoping that this would help me with the control of the projector.

When I change from 2 different computer sources ("Presentation on Main" to "Presentation on side" or "Podium") the projector is changing inputs when it should stay on the current input? Is there a way for me to take that command out of the sequence? Or will that mess up everything else when I go from DVD to presentation the input function will be missing?

Any thoughts? Should I post in a projector area?
Thanks

Hello haas_chrs, I have a similar setup. I have the PT-AE4000 with the Harmony 900 remote. When i first setup the remote it continued to do the same thing with not putting the projector on the correct input. But after running thru the "help" function that trained the remote to choose the correct input every time I turned on my system. Hope this helps.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Harmony 1100 Remcontrol

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page