Do you like touchscreen? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-16-2012, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If you've used both touch screen type and the button type remotes do you ever find touch screen annoying?

I'm debating what would be better for me. I used to have a touch screen mp3 player which did not have buttons for volume and while it was cool at first to have just a screen it quickly became annoying for daily use. Not being able to change songs and volume without taking it out of my pocket was irritating.

Once I get used to a remote I can usually do what I want by feel without looking down. Does anyone find touchscreen more annoying or do you get used to it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-16-2012, 08:11 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyen78 View Post

If you've used both touch screen type and the button type remotes do you ever find touch screen annoying?

I'm debating what would be better for me. I used to have a touch screen mp3 player which did not have buttons for volume and while it was cool at first to have just a screen it quickly became annoying for daily use. Not being able to change songs and volume without taking it out of my pocket was irritating.

Once I get used to a remote I can usually do what I want by feel without looking down. Does anyone find touchscreen more annoying or do you get used to it?

Touchscreens are IMO the PRICE YOU PAY for flexibility and complexity.

Meaning in the old days with a CRT tube, it was really easy to become used to handling the remote in the dark.

In modern times with a physical remote, you've got the TV remote, the DVD remote, the TiVO remote, etc. etc. TOO MANY BUTTONS to learn by feel!

I use my iPad with Roomie Remote these days and the physical remotes are in storage.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-16-2012, 11:38 PM

An all touch system was something i could get used to. Tried using my tablet and phone wjth xbmc and the offer awesome flexibility and superior funtionality, but compared to my harmony its a no contest. Now the harmonys touch im cool with since its not wear the main functions are. Just my two cents
post #4 of 6 Old 02-17-2012, 01:23 AM

Liked: 11
I use both. I have Roomie on the iPad. For music I use the Sonos app on the iPad. For movies I use the MyMovies app w ith the Dune. This is very cool, you can browse your collection on the iPad, play trailers, and select the movie and it begins to play. But for tv, DirecTV in my case, I just prefer the wand format. I have a harmony for each room. With all the fast forwarding, I just prefer the wand over the touchscreen.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-17-2012, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Hi,

I have a old Harmony and these days there are apps for some of my gear for my iphone.

I don't mind adjusting the volume at all with the iphone and I love the way the iphone will tell me the status of my AVR.

I am wondering how people get around the need to wake up iphone or ipad. Someone was mentioning having to wake the ipod up and slide it and put in the pass code and all that.

I guess maybe ipads don't have that type of problems.

?

-Brian
post #6 of 6 Old 02-17-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post

Hi,

I have a old Harmony and these days there are apps for some of my gear for my iphone.

I don't mind adjusting the volume at all with the iphone and I love the way the iphone will tell me the status of my AVR.

I am wondering how people get around the need to wake up iphone or ipad. Someone was mentioning having to wake the ipod up and slide it and put in the pass code and all that.

I guess maybe ipads don't have that type of problems.

?

-Brian

Yes, iPads have the same problem and my biggest barrier for going all iPad or iPhone for my remote control.

Say you just want to quickly mute the tv because a phone call comes in (hopefully not on the same iPhone you use for remote control): wake it up, swipe, enter pass code, fine the app (unless you dock it), touch and wait for it to open, hit mute.

On a harmony one, to do the same thing you just pick up the remote and hit the mute button.

Go through the same steps just to change the channel, adjust volume, etc and you see while touchscreens offer better interfaces and graphically appealing, from a usability standpoint there are just too many steps involved to do a simple task. Then there's also the privacy issue if you're using your personal device. A guest comes over and I'm not about to hand my device over to them with all my emails, texts, financial data, Facebook, etc on it.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page