Remote Advice: RF or IR? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-18-2012, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Everyone.

I have an Onkyo TX-606 (soon to be replaced), an XBox360, a Scientific Atlanta DVR and a Samsung LCD. We currently use an older Logitech Harmony IR remote which is starting to have issues and I am about to put my A/V components inside a cabinet.

I am wondering whether I should get an RF remote or go with IR and blasters.

1. I am trying out a URC RF20 but after going from my Harmony that remembers the state of devices, this RF20 is a real pain. The macros seem to be useless. My wife will never be able to figure it out if the devices get out of sync with the operating mode (Watch Cable, Watch a DVD, etc.).

2. I saw the Harmony 900 which is nice (and RF) but it is $250.

If you recommend RF, is there anything between the RF20 and the Harmony 900 on the price scale? Is anything going to remember device state when switching modes? Is anything going to be able to use 2-way communication to keep things in the proper mode?

I have an older iPhone I am not using so iOS options are available if you think they solve my problem.

Thanks in advance for your help.

J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-19-2012, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Another option is to add a Next Generation RF system to almost any remote that takes AA or AAA batteries.

Also, state tracking is unnecessary so long as your devices have discrete power/input commands (most of yours do).
post #3 of 7 Old 02-19-2012, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

It seems like the XBox and the Cable Box have a power toggle rather than a discrete on/off.

I noticed that Next Generation system but my current Harmony doesn't take a AA. Does the Next Generation system work well and - if it does - any recommendations on a remote that can work with it?

Thanks.

J
post #4 of 7 Old 02-19-2012, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremysc View Post

It seems like the XBox and the Cable Box have a power toggle rather than a discrete on/off.

I noticed that Next Generation system but my current Harmony doesn't take a AA. Does the Next Generation system work well and - if it does - any recommendations on a remote that can work with it?

Thanks.

J

The cable box is a very frustrating device. That's why when I had cable I never turned it off. There are work arounds if you search but it uses so little power while just sitting there I left it on.

Does the RF50 come with an RF receiver that uses IR emitters to the devices?
post #5 of 7 Old 02-19-2012, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 169
The XBox has discrete codes available, if you are currently using a Harmony then you have access to them. Just learn them into your other remote if you can't find them.

Most people just leave their cable box on since it is pretty much on when turned "off" anyway, just has the video output disabled.

post #6 of 7 Old 02-19-2012, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip on the cable box. That's a good idea.

My Harmony only has an on/off toggle (maybe it's too old to have a discrete on/off code).

Assuming I leave the cable box on and can have a discrete on/off for xbox, do you recommend I go IR and - if so - what remote do you recommend?
post #7 of 7 Old 02-19-2012, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 169
The Harmony database contains a discrete On and Off for an XBox 360 as well as a power toggle. The remote does not matter.

Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page