Need info/help on deciding on which URC remote.. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-19-2012, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi..

My harmony one remote is pretty much starting to fall apart here after less than two years of use, buttons are starting to not respond, come lose..ect..ect.

I am looking for something more sturdy and came across the URC remotes which seem to be highly recommended if you don't mind programming them (i have the programming software already )

I have narrowed it down to the

MX450
810i

I have just your basic setup with

A/V receiver
Xbox 360
Dish Network VIP922(hopper and joey next month)
PS3
Wii
Samsung TV

additionally downstairs i have

Sony HDTV
Dish Network Receiver
Xbox 360

In the future i am going to be adding stuff like light control and such but that is probably 3yrs away so whatever remote i get now i will most likely be needing a new one anyway by the time that rolls around.

The choice is pretty much down to the 450 and 880, I like the looks of the 450 better somewhat though. The 780 is also an option if you guys recommend it.

I have a question about the "guide" button...When programming it , it of course opens up the guide on whichever box you are using. But what buttons are you guys using to go "page up" "page down"? I do not see any of those buttons on these remotes which makes me wonder do you have to arrow down or up to flip between pages, which would mean it would basically scroll through the guide channels instead of changing pages.

Also, i have read conflicting reports that when you switch activities or whatnot it will not remember what is turned on already and may actually shut a device off when it is on already when switching activities?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-19-2012, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkhead View Post

Hi..

My harmony one remote is pretty much starting to fall apart here after less than two years of use, buttons are starting to not respond, come lose..ect..ect.

I am looking for something more sturdy and came across the URC remotes which seem to be highly recommended if you don't mind programming them (i have the programming software already )

I have narrowed it down to the

MX450
810i

What software do you have?

The MX-450 does not use software for programming but does have a backup utility that is a free download.

The MX-810/i uses wizard based software that is not compatible with any other remote.

The MX-880 is the only one in your list that uses CCP.

Quote:

In the future i am going to be adding stuff like light control and such but that is probably 3yrs away so whatever remote i get now i will most likely be needing a new one anyway by the time that rolls around.

The MX-880 is compatible with the Lutron URC rf remotes or you can use any IR based dimmers.

Quote:

The choice is pretty much down to the 450 and 880, I like the looks of the 450 better somewhat though. The 780 is also an option if you guys recommend it.

I have a question about the "guide" button...When programming it , it of course opens up the guide on whichever box you are using. But what buttons are you guys using to go "page up" "page down"? I do not see any of those buttons on these remotes which makes me wonder do you have to arrow down or up to flip between pages, which would mean it would basically scroll through the guide channels instead of changing pages.

The page-up and down controls are the channel up and down buttons on the remote. When you are viewing the guide the change buttons will page and while under normal viewing they will move one channel up or down. The DTV remotes say chan/page on them. I thought Dish was the same.

Quote:

Also, i have read conflicting reports that when you switch activities or whatnot it will not remember what is turned on already and may actually shut a device off when it is on already when switching activities?

You have to program this functionality yourself using the CCP software (if you get an 780 or 880). It is nice if all of your gear has discrete codes for power and this is quite easy. If not you may need to use variables to track the "state" of your gear. CCP is not wizard based and is meant for professional programmers who know how to use the software to get he most out of each remote. A DIY'er can do it but depending on your skill and experience it may take some trial and error to get it right.

I have both the 780 and the 880 and the main difference is the quality of graphics is better on the 880. The 880 also has a wakes up with movement while the 780 needs a button click to bring the screen up. Hard buttons always work but screen buttons need to be activated before they can be used.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-19-2012, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adk highlander View Post

What software do you have?

The MX-450 does not use software for programming but does have a backup utility that is a free download.

The MX-810/i uses wizard based software that is not compatible with any other remote.

The MX-880 is the only one in your list that uses CCP.

The MX-880 is compatible with the Lutron URC rf remotes or you can use any IR based dimmers.

The page-up and down controls are the channel up and down buttons on the remote. When you are viewing the guide the change buttons will page and while under normal viewing they will move one channel up or down. The DTV remotes say chan/page on them. I thought Dish was the same.

You have to program this functionality yourself using the CCP software (if you get an 780 or 880). It is nice if all of your gear has discrete codes for power and this is quite easy. If not you may need to use variables to track the "state" of your gear. CCP is not wizard based and is meant for professional programmers who know how to use the software to get he most out of each remote. A DIY'er can do it but depending on your skill and experience it may take some trial and error to get it right.

I have both the 780 and the 880 and the main difference is the quality of graphics is better on the 880. The 880 also has a wakes up with movement while the 780 needs a button click to bring the screen up. Hard buttons always work but screen buttons need to be activated before they can be used.

Thanks!

I think i am going to go with the 880 as there are a couple good deals right now i see for about $250 new. The 980 i have seen go for around the same price but not sure if i want to hang around waiting for more to pop up on ebay.

Regarding the channel up/down for page swapping thats how i thought it may work. Looking at the dish remotes its just labeled differently(page up down) instead of channel up down.

I have the CCP software..

The Harmony remotes i have used for years but there quality is pretty sad. Within a few months they always just feel flimsy. This latest Harmony I have the paint is peeling off the buttons, some buttons are starting to not respond unless pressing extremely hard..ect.

Wiling to give URC a shot..I am willing to spend the time to get it to work
post #4 of 9 Old 02-19-2012, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 180
I started URC with an 880. Knowing what a 980 can do compared to the 880 I sold the 880 and bought a 980. It is worth it just to use custom graphics on the 980.

post #5 of 9 Old 02-19-2012, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

I started URC with an 880. Knowing what a 980 can do compared to the 880 I sold the 880 and bought a 980. It is worth it just to use custom graphics on the 980.

I've got a 980 as well. Hey what can I say I'm a URC remote whore.

bryansj is correct the amount of custom graphical control the 980 has over the other is staggering. The other advantage is the if then commands you can use instead of just a simple true/false on your variables. Super handy if you have more than one source with no discrete codes.

Are you going to use a RF base station or just the IR functions?
post #6 of 9 Old 02-19-2012, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adk highlander View Post

I've got a 980 as well. Hey what can I say I'm a URC remote whore.

bryansj is correct the amount of custom graphical control the 980 has over the other is staggering. The other advantage is the if then commands you can use instead of just a simple true/false on your variables. Super handy if you have more than one source with no discrete codes.

Are you going to use a RF base station or just the IR functions?

IR for now, but i am getting tired of it... The only time it does bother me is if i am laying on the couch or something and the coffee table is in the way

RF would be nice though as i would like to have everything concealed at some point in a nice wood piece.

The 980 is nice but i just don't think i would use all the features. I am basically just turning stuff off and on and changing the channels. Nothing much more at this point. I could go with a r40 but i just don't like the looks/build quality of them.

EDIT: after reading some more the 980 does seem like the better choice, the fact that i just found out the 880 does not have a charging cradle may just steered me that way..
post #7 of 9 Old 02-19-2012, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I got an R40 last week. I like being able to tweak things as I go, without having to hook up to a computer. The built in codes got me to about 90% and just used learn mode for the rest. I have some new equipment so I just keep the original remotes handy so I can add buttons on the fly. Much better quality than Harmony and was only about $150
post #8 of 9 Old 02-20-2012, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter

Well I ended up picking up a mx980 used/like new off eBay for $175 shipped including manual and software.

Any good guides you know of on setting up? I also thought I read somewhere there is a problem installing the software on win7 64bit? Any work arounds?
post #9 of 9 Old 02-20-2012, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 180
I run the software on Win7 64bit. You just have to install the Mobile Device Center app and select the correct drivers. Also, for the software to update you have to run the program as Administrator since it modifies files in the Program Files (x86) folder which is a no-no in Vista/Win7.

As for a guide, click Help in the program for access to the setup guides for each remote in PDF format.

Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page