Can IR receivers go bad? Tricky problem to diagnose... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 02-20-2012, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm helping a friend with an odd, inconsistent situation related to his IR repeater system and need some help.

His system includes a Xantech 78944 connecting block in the closet with a Xantech receiver (model unknown) near the LCD display. The remote is a Harmony One.

The Onkyo AVR is connected to the block with a mono audio cable to the rear IR input port. The other components are controlled with emitters on their front panels.

The system has been working fine for years, yet suddenly the performance has become intolerable, but only for the AVR (other components are working fine).

The primary issue is that around 50% of the commands are not going through to the AVR. He bought a new Harmony One and got the same results. I switched the mono cable and tried driving the AVR with a stick-on emitter and got the same result. The only thing that seems to have any effect is moving closer to the IR receiver, but even then the results are far less than 100%.

I've switched ports on the repeater block with no change.

The remote works at nearly 100% when in the closet with the AVR.

Is it possible that an IR receiver can begin to fail but only in a range that would affect certain devices? I know it sounds crazy, but we can't find any other sources of the issue.

I realize we could switch out the receiver to test (and will probably end up doing that) but was hoping someone here could validate our troubleshooting before we spend the money to replace it.
Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page