What device are you using for iRule/DemoPad/Roomie/CommandFusion? - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: What device are you using as a remote with iRule/Demopad/Roomie/CommandFusion?
Iphone 0 0%
Ipod Touch 1 100.00%
Ipad 0 0%
Kindle Fire 0 0%
Other Android device 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-02-2012, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was just wondering what the most popular handset/tablet is for use with any of the apps available for use with the Global Cache products?
Please comment which app, what device you are using, and, if you want, your experience.

You can pick more than one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2012, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

I am currently using an iPad and an iPhone to play with iRule, Demopad, and Roomie. Each has their pros and cons.

Demopad has great graphical options and customizability but limited feedback (currently) and a slightly steeper learning curve.

iRule has pretty good feedback and customizability but not as many graphical options (dynamic screens) and is fairly easy to program.

Roomie is the fastest and easiest to get going and has decent feedback for many devices but has very little customizability in terms of graphics.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Feel free to throw in some pros and cons of any of these apps as well as that may help the developers get an idea of features to implement.

I personally would like to see iTunes integration and more customizability of feedback (in terms of graphics).
Old 04-11-2012, 01:41 PM

I am beginning to look into these products and would appreciate an update of your experience so far. I am drawn to iRule initially as I like the cloud accessibility and library sharing concepts. Are Roomie and / or DemoPad cloud based products? Thank you.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

I would say that each has its own pros and cons.

Roomie is the easiest and fastest to set up with a predefined list of devices that it has codes for and also has some nice pre-configured feedback options for certain devices (sliders and numeric feedback). The negative is that the graphics are not very customizable in terms of the look of the buttons and button placement.

iRule is the second easiest to configure (in my opinion) and has not only a list of commands, feedbacks, and graphics as defined by the developer but also has the search feature for user defined commands, feedbacks, and graphics. The feedback capability of iRule is probably the most advanced between Roomie, iRule, and Demopad, and it now has iTunes control built in as a module. The graphics options for iRule are between the capabilities of Roomie and Demopad with Demopad being the most versatile (graphics wise) and Roomie being the least.

Demopad is probably the most intensive to program and configure with its flag system and the feedback is not very versatile at the moment. The major benefit of Demopad is the "wow" factor in terms of its moving animations when using their flag style setup (icons/subpages moving in and out of the screen).

I personally am a fan of iRule due to the relative ease of setup (if you can handle basic networking and drag and drop configuration) and the fact that it seems as though iRule comes out with the most updates with improved functionality (which tells me that more great features are likely coming).

Hope this helps.

Edit:Also note that I have no experience with commandfusion so I cannot comment.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I currently have a fully operational iRule and Demopad setup. Both are on a first generation iPad. iRule was my first project. I liked what Demopad had to offer when it came to GUI dynamics. However, as fun and amazing as Demopad is, I've had continuous issues that aren't really a big deal, but are enough to keep me from using it regularly. I've had no such problems with iRule. It has been stellar in its operation from day one. Once iRule introduced the iTunes module, I haven't looked back. I'm looking forward to what iRule has to offer in the future.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:35 PM

moreilly...I am so glad you started this thread.

Right now I'm in the market for an alternative to traditional remotes (ie.. Logitech) or extremely high-end solutions (ie..Crestron).

I have multiple zones set up in my house with devices that use ir and an equipment room (where most everything resides) with 2 cat 6 runs to all zones.

I've been researching for a solution that would allow me to use android and/or ios to control ir devices over the network as well as provide feedback from networked devices.
Also..Since my wife & kids will be accessing content throughout the house, my solution would have to have a friendly WAF interface.

I first started looking at Redeye Pro (ThinkFlood) as my only possibility, but now I see there are several other affordable solutions (ie..Demopad, iRule, Roomie, Commandfusion).

From what I'm reading it seems that you give iRule a slight edge above it's competitors. Can you give some more feedback as too how well this solution works in your setup and the cost of the whole solution itself (ie..additional devices, software etc...)?

Anyone else have input please chime in...

Thanks for all this great info.........
Old 04-16-2012, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nysteelo View Post

moreilly...I am so glad you started this thread.

Right now I'm in the market for an alternative to traditional remotes (ie.. Logitech) or extremely high-end solutions (ie..Crestron).

I have multiple zones set up in my house with devices that use ir and an equipment room (where most everything resides) with 2 cat 6 runs to all zones.

I've been researching for a solution that would allow me to use android and/or ios to control ir devices over the network as well as provide feedback from networked devices.
Also..Since my wife & kids will be accessing content throughout the house, my solution would have to have a friendly WAF interface.

I first started looking at Redeye Pro (ThinkFlood) as my only possibility, but now I see there are several other affordable solutions (ie..Demopad, iRule, Roomie, Commandfusion).

From what I'm reading it seems that you give iRule a slight edge above it's competitors. Can you give some more feedback as too how well this solution works in your setup and the cost of the whole solution itself (ie..additional devices, software etc...)?

Anyone else have input please chime in...

Thanks for all this great info.........

iRule works incredibly well in my setup. I'm using it to control all of my AV equipment (Global Cache iTachs), my lighting (Insteon with an ISY-99i), and pretty soon a projector lift (iTach, linear actuator, and some relays).
The cost of implementation depends entirely on how many devices/rooms you are configuring. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post prices but they can be found on the iRule website www.iruleathome.com .
For my theater room I have 4 iTachs (1 WF2CC (PJ lift), 1 WF2IR (PJ control), 1 IP2IR (all IR equipment in cabinet), and 1 IP2SL (Blu-Ray player with feedback)).
iRule can control anything that is IP controllable without extra hardware. If you are doing multiple rooms you would probably need at least one iTach per room unless you have everything wired to one centralized location or if all of your equipment is IP controllable. The cost of iRule depends on if you want feedback or not. The cost of a basic setup (one iTach(IR) and iRule basic) is about $150, and upping it to the pro version would be around $200 (if you have devices that utilize feedback or if you want to include the iTunes module (on an ipad).
My setup with 4 iTachs, iRule pro, ISY-99i and dimmers for 6 zones cost me around $1200 but now allows me to control every aspect of my theater room from either my ipad or iphone.
Let me know if you have any other questions or just want some advice as to how to configure your setup/what equipment to purchase.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moreilly View Post

iRule works incredibly well in my setup. I'm using it to control all of my AV equipment (Global Cache iTachs), my lighting (Insteon with an ISY-99i), and pretty soon a projector lift (iTach, linear actuator, and some relays).
The cost of implementation depends entirely on how many devices/rooms you are configuring. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post prices but they can be found on the iRule website www.iruleathome.com .
For my theater room I have 4 iTachs (1 WF2CC (PJ lift), 1 WF2IR (PJ control), 1 IP2IR (all IR equipment in cabinet), and 1 IP2SL (Blu-Ray player with feedback)).
iRule can control anything that is IP controllable without extra hardware. If you are doing multiple rooms you would probably need at least one iTach per room unless you have everything wired to one centralized location or if all of your equipment is IP controllable. The cost of iRule depends on if you want feedback or not. The cost of a basic setup (one iTach(IR) and iRule basic) is about $150, and upping it to the pro version would be around $200 (if you have devices that utilize feedback or if you want to include the iTunes module (on an ipad).
My setup with 4 iTachs, iRule pro, ISY-99i and dimmers for 6 zones cost me around $1200 but now allows me to control every aspect of my theater room from either my ipad or iphone.
Let me know if you have any other questions or just want some advice as to how to configure your setup/what equipment to purchase.

Thanks moreilly......this is really good info.

Let's see....where do I start.......

First.. I've been researching as much as I can about all the options I mentioned earlier in this thread, & I've narrowed it down to iRule and Roomie as my final 2 choices. In a nutshell; I like Roomie for its simplicity & ease of initial configuration and iRule for more user defined screens & Android support.

Demopad looks really nice (great "WOW" factor) but the time & effort it would take to finally get up & running seems a little too intensive for me at this time (I keep a very busy business schedule). When I can dedicate more time to it, I may revisit Demopad as an option for my main theater room.

Okay.... so far I understand that with either choice of iRule of Roomie, I'll need several iTach devices. 1 for every location (zone) that houses IR/SL equipment. In my case, since I have ethernet runs to all zones in my house, I can use 1 iTach IP2IR for each zone.
Also, since I have a couple of devices (in an equipment room) that use serial, I'll need 1 iTach IP2SL for each serial device housed there as well.
Device feedback would be a nice plus, so in the case of iRule that means the price of the Pro version would be added to the final cost of the project.

This just leaves me with a few questions that I couldn't find definitive answers for...
1) Is there a limit to how many IR emitters can be used on each IR port on the back of the iTach device (ie..dual, triple etc..)?
2) Is there an advantage to buying several iTach devices as apposed to a single GC Home Network Adapter that can do serial as well as IR?
3) Can equipment be accessed over your cellular network remotely or is it only accessible on your local network?
Old 04-18-2012, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

This just leaves me with a few questions that I couldn't find definitive answers for...
1) Is there a limit to how many IR emitters can be used on each IR port on the back of the iTach device (ie..dual, triple etc..)?
2) Is there an advantage to buying several iTach devices as apposed to a single GC Home Network Adapter that can do serial as well as IR?
3) Can equipment be accessed over your cellular network remotely or is it only accessible on your local network?

1) You can definitely do double and I have heard of people making custom triple emitters (not sure if they are wired in serial or parallel) but another option is to use the 3rd IR port of the iTach and configure it as a blaster instead of an emitter. I'm not sure if that's an option for you but it is always a possibility.
2) The advantage of going with multiple iTachs versus one GC-100 is that the iTachs support multiple connections at a time (multiple iDevices) whereas the GC-100 only allows one device to connect at a time (one iphone or one ipad, etc...).
3) I don't believe this is supported through either of these apps but may be able to be accomplished using other means (I think others have done it, but it is beyond me and I have no need for it).

Hope this helps.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:38 AM

Thanks moreilly....this does help.

I just have a couple of follow up questions to your responses if you don't mind me asking....

1st) You mentioned the use of a dual &/or possibly a triple emitter for the iTach device..which is good..however I have quite a few IR devices in my equipment room & if I could avoid purchasing several iTachs in favor of using an emitter such as this, that would be even better. Do you think this is possible?

2nd) If I wanted to run a combination of Roomie & iRule on the same network utilizing the same iTach devices.... would this be possible?

On a side note.....My reason for asking about control over a cellular network was because I was interested in the ability to turn on/off my system &/or control key components remotely. So, for example, if my wife calls me at work & asks that I play that cd we listened to yesterday in the kitchen, I could access it with my Droid or iPhone.
When I was researching Demopad I ran across this feature and was wondering if either Roomie or iRule had this ability. If anyone is interested I placed a link below to Demopad's solution.
(Demopad utilizes this device for remote access)

Thanks again.....
Old 04-19-2012, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks moreilly....this does help.

I just have a couple of follow up questions to your responses if you don't mind me asking....

1st) You mentioned the use of a dual &/or possibly a triple emitter for the iTach device..which is good..however I have quite a few IR devices in my equipment room & if I could avoid purchasing several iTachs in favor of using an emitter such as this, that would be even better. Do you think this is possible?

2nd) If I wanted to run a combination of Roomie & iRule on the same network utilizing the same iTach devices.... would this be possible?

On a side note.....My reason for asking about control over a cellular network was because I was interested in the ability to turn on/off my system &/or control key components remotely. So, for example, if my wife calls me at work & asks that I play that cd we listened to yesterday in the kitchen, I could access it with my Droid or iPhone.
When I was researching Demopad I ran across this feature and was wondering if either Roomie or iRule had this ability. If anyone is interested I placed a link below to Demopad's solution.
(Demopad utilizes this device for remote access)

Thanks again.....

1) Not sure this would work as I have never tried it. As long as the signal is strong enough from the iTach it should work (might be able to plug it into port 3 and configure as a blaster). Best bet on this one is to send Global Cache an email. Their customer support is very good.

2)Don't think this would work with Roomie, but it should work with iRule seeing as it is simply using the IR distribution as a web server (should be able to just insert an embedded URL onto one of your pages). The only think I'm not sure of is if iRule supports Keene. Again, not much help here, but your best bet is to contact iRule for this one as they also have amazing customer service.

You got me on those ones.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:00 AM

When using the itach and booster other than inserting the cable into the third slot do you need to do anything else as with my lights the ir only works if 2 m away
Old 04-20-2012, 04:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrwatson View Post

When using the itach and booster other than inserting the cable into the third slot do you need to do anything else as with my lights the ir only works if 2 m away

Yes, you also have to configure port 3 to use the blaster. It's in the iTach's main set up page.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moreilly View Post

You got me on those ones.

Not to worry.....You've been a great help in getting me started.

I'm going to take your advice & e-mail Global Cache, Roomie and iRule to get some answers and decide which direction to go from there. I'll post what I find out in case anyone else has the same questions as I do.

Thanks again.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:19 AM

Is it possible to lengthen the ir leads
Old 04-21-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrwatson View Post

Is it possible to lengthen the ir leads

Standard 3.5mm extension should work - even a stereo one.

Look here
Old 05-12-2012, 01:28 PM

Well I found the answers to my questions from iRule & Roomie's support personel;

1)It seems as though iTach devices are compatable with dual and triple ir emitters but my 6 eye ir emitter is not suggested.
According to the GlobalCache support team..."Our units can support dual or triple emitters, but it is recommended to use non-blinking split emitters due to the fact that non-blinking type emitters are vastly more powerful than their blinking counterparts."

The cheapest non-blinking dual emitters I could find were from Smarthome. I also decided to use a Xantech 4 zone powered ir distribution block in conjuntion with a 6 zone expander block that I got cheap from Ebay. Both units (with power supply) cost me $90. This combination gives me ultimate ir expandibilty without having to purchase additional iTach devices for my equipment room.
(Globalcache response; " our units can be used with powered connecting blocks, but the GC-CGX conversion cable must be used.")

2) iRule has the ability to remotely control equipment over a cellular network.

iRule support response....."You simply setup port forwarding in your router for the IP address and port number of the Global Cache gateway and then in the iRule app, use your External IP address or Domain name in place of your internal IP address."

Roomie has a different approach.According to their support team...

" This is something you can setup, but is not per se something Roomie has anything to do with. One way to set that up is to use VPN software on your local router, and connect that to the VPN software on your iPhone. Once that kind of setup is in place, you should be able to act like you're on your home network wherever you are and Roomie should work fine."

While setting up a VPN is rather trivial..if you don't own the software already that is an additional cost consideration. Although I don't see why Roomie suggests using a VPN over just connecting to the Globalcache gateway directly minus an encrypted tunnel like iRule suggests.

Hope this helps anyone else that's been looking for the answers to these questions.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
/facepalm

This is why there are so many security problems on the Internet, people making suggestions that have literally no idea how networks work.

You would definitely not want to port forward a router port directly to your iTach like the iRule people said. That would be the ultimate mistake and within hours you would find your equipment being illicitly controlled by someone in China. On most normal home routers, Chinese attack packets are coming in literally every few seconds. They *will* sniff out an open port.

Translation, there is no functional difference between the suggestions you got. Both are saying "this has nothing to do with our product, you can do it this way." The difference is that one suggestion is a super bad idea, whereas the VPN is a good idea.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:56 AM

Good thread- this is what I've uncovered so far on differences- iRule seems to be the best and most flexible option for controlling medium to complex whole home / AV systems. Demopad is an 'almost-but-not-quite' option, with potential, if the developers pull their head out of the sand a bit.

Roomie is sort of like a Harmony remote for IOS, it's not very flexible or configurable, but easy to set up / use for basic control tasks of equipment.
Touchsquid even less configurable, but if all you need is an IR remote and have a rather basic AV setup, not bad.

As for DemoPad vs. iRule, here are a few of the primary differences:
- iRule is cloud-based and uses a web-based configuration tool (iRule Builder), so there is no software to install or files to lose, and you can use a Mac, Windows machine, Linux, etc. DemoPad design software requires a PC (or PC emulator).

- iRule includes a large graphics library in three different themes; DemoPad's $40 offering includes basic graphics, so you'll probably want the Graphics Pack for another $30. Graphics appear to be nicer in Demopad.

- iRule is developed for iOS and Android; DemoPad is iOS-only. There are some great Android devices that are cheap enough to be deployed as a dedicated remote. The Google Nexus 7 comes to mind. If you need remotes in several rooms, do you really want to pop $500 for an ipad / ipad mini in each room that is used solely as a system remote? Or, how about less than $100 for a decent Android tablet? Having both platform options with iRule is a huge bonus, regardless of what the Demopad folks will tell you. (From a business perspective, I have zero idea why a custom remote control vendor would purposefully eliminate more than half of the tablet customer market- last year more Android based tablets / phones were sold than IOS devices, Android is not going away).

- iRule Pro is $100; DemoPad w/Pro Graphics set is $70 (with Pro graphics)

- iRule has iTunes Module and the soon-to-be-released Sonos Module. These are the first of many more pre-configured modules. Demopad does not have preconfigured modules.

- Gestures. Like being able to use your remote without looking? With iRule, you can define a page/panel in the remote where the user can swipe up and down to turn the volume up and down, left and right to fast-forward and rewind, and tap to play/pause toggle. No gestures in Demopad

- iRule has excellent 2-way system feedback capability. Demopad is limited in this area.

- Free trial period of the iRule builder app.

- iRule is developed in the US; DemoPad is from the UK
b0gus likes this.

A/V Gear: Elite 70" display, Theta CBIIIHD processor, Theta Intrepid amplifier, Oppo 95 BD, BG Radia LA800 mains, BG Radia CC400 center, four BG Radia R18i surrounds, dual 18" Bag End Infrasubs, two Fuhrman P1800PF AVRs, Synergistic Silver Reference active cables & interconnects. 

Old 03-19-2013, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm using the non pro version of iRule on my Nexus 7 tablet, and I really like it. It meets all my needs and find it to be the closest thing to the Pronto experience. I enjoy building my own remote and have a very different thems (based on a common template) I switch between for kicks. biggrin.gif
Most of my equipment is IP based (Denon receiver, DirecTV HD DVR, Sony Blu Ray, Boxee Box) so I use one iTach WI2IR for my Mits projector, X Box & Darbee Darblet. Once you get the hang of the builder it's fairly easy and IP control is very responsive. Flat out the best remote control I've owned and also the best app on my tablet.