Problems with Logitech Harmony Software? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 03-07-2012, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone successfully used the Harmony software to update a remote in the last week or so?

When I try to update the remote with the software, it sits at the "connecting to your remote screen" with 0% on the progress bar. I even tried leaving it plugged in last night and 4 hours later still was sitting there.

A month ago, things worked perfectly fine on the same computer.

I believe the software fetches stuff from the Logitech "cloud"....... I'm just wondering if Logitech is having a problem or not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-07-2012, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I updated my unit several times on Monday, no problem.

Are you clicking view status to see if it is successfully communicating with the remote?

Are you using the same USB cable as before?
I have one that does not allow the updates to go thru although it works fine with everything else I use it for. I have a robust cable that I use for the updates and it works no problem.

You can also log in online and try to update the remote from here. The screens are little different and the options don't always appear to be the same, but any changes you made with the regular software will show up once you update.

http://members.harmonyremote.com/Eas...2E0%2E50727%29

BTW, sometimes when you try to go thru the link it will say there is a software update. It did that to me just now in firefox, but went to the correct place IE. Good luck.
post #3 of 18 Old 03-07-2012, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

i've used two different USB cables, tried the web software, turned off windows firewall and virus scanner, and still nothing..............
post #4 of 18 Old 03-07-2012, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

So, i tried an older computer running XP and everything works fine. So, I guess even though the software once was working on my Win 7 machine, it no longer does.......
post #5 of 18 Old 03-08-2012, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangrel View Post

So, i tried an older computer running XP and everything works fine. So, I guess even though the software once was working on my Win 7 machine, it no longer does.......

Well that's odd. I did do my most recent update on a new Win7 Laptop. So something must be happening with your machine and the software. At least you were able to update with another machine.
post #6 of 18 Old 03-09-2012, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

Well that's odd. I did do my most recent update on a new Win7 Laptop. So something must be happening with your machine and the software. At least you were able to update with another machine.

yes. What I find odd is that the same machine worked just fine a week or two before that. So, unless some background Windows update nerfed things........

Weird, very weird.
post #7 of 18 Old 07-15-2013, 08:15 AM

I am having the same issue with my MAC!

Craig
post #8 of 18 Old 09-05-2013, 01:44 PM

A few days ago, I had to update my home entertainment system with two new HD Comcast set-top boxes, which use IR/RF signals to change channels and decode the newly encrypted basic service. There were several problems, centered upon when the supplied remotes were using RF, versus IR(which is required by the Harmony One). In the process, I updated my Harmony One, and in THAT process, I opened and tried to update the remotes with my computer's Logitech software. This software has always worked well and faithfully.

However, after trying to update the Harmony remote with the supplied Comcast remote(unsuccessfully, because the remote was only putting out RF), I quit the program, which had opened very slowly(unusual). When I re-opened it, all that showed up was a blank window( after a (at the window's bottom) web-based update) which remained blank for about 10-15 minutes. Then the regular widow loaded, and I proceeded with my IR/RF problems.
It occurred to me that I might need a software update so I downloaded 7.8.1 to replace the 7.7.0 I had been using on my almost brand-new IMac. When I installed it, I got the same blank window, and have been unable to do anything about it.
So, I went down to my workshop older Mac laptop(running 7.7.0), and proceeded about my business, including writing a note to Logitech about my troubles[ IR/RF, AND the software not loading).

I went back upstairs, restarted my Mac in the 'dark side' mode (Windows 7- Bootcamp), downloaded the Logitech Harmony One software (7.7.0), and it opened and worked OK. By then the software knew of my MAC settings, and had even updated itself with an addition to its database, renaming my set-top Box as a PVR. I connected my Harmony One, updated it and all was well, since now, with the updated database, the software didn't need to try to read my IR/RF Comcast remote anymore. Problem solved(at least with the remote.

However. now, my IMac upstairs will only open Harmony ONE software to a blank window(this after MANY un-installes, re-installs, re-downloading and re-installing, etc, of the latest software versions). BUT.... most interestingly, my downstairs Mac (7.7.0), also now only opens to a blank window. I haven't the spirit to un-install, and update to a later software version downstairs, due to the history.

It seems like a virus or bug that has infected both computers and emanates from Logitech's web-software. So, I can't do anything now on either Mac, with the software. I'm not trying the Windows side, for fear of it happening to them also. I find it interesting that the latest Windows 7 version is 7.7.0, while on the Mac, it is 7.8.0, or 7.8.1, depending on which Mac OS is in use.

Any comments or experiences????? My last notes & e-mails to Logitech have gone unanswered.
post #9 of 18 Old 09-17-2013, 09:35 PM

Yes they have a problem with the software. I logged it with them on the 12th and called them again last night and they are still working on it. WTF?
They told me to take the remote back for a refund but I want the remote as it is the best on the market.
I have been told to call back on Thursday.

I would suggest you also log the issue via their telephone support line on the web site. The more that complain the sooner it is fixed
post #10 of 18 Old 09-18-2013, 04:48 PM

Further to my posting #8 of about ten days ago. I received a prompt reply from Harmony Tech support. The software-related issue with the Harmony One remote, was due to a Java update which had to be loaded into both of my Macs. As soon as I performed those tasks, the software worked perfectly- I even loaded 24 'favorite' channels (for one of the Comcast adapters) on my Harmony One remote.
So, NO PROBLEMS, anymore, software-wise.... And, many follow-up helpful messages from Harmony Tech support, in the bargain. No complaints. I still have some issues with inadvertent channel changing on (one vs the other) Comcast adapters, but that is an issue to do with activating/deactivating the IR vs RF signals for the adapters. That is still a can of worms, which I am working on with Comcast, but is not related to the abilities of the Harmony remote. I may go to a low-tech solution (black masking tape!!!!!!!) We'll see. Regards
post #11 of 18 Old 09-18-2013, 04:49 PM

sorry about the line-outs in the previous post!!!! I should have proofed it first !!!!!
post #12 of 18 Old 09-28-2013, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi,

I'm also having a problem trying to open the Logitech software for my Harmony One Remote. I'm up to date on java and using 7.81. It was working two weeks ago and now it opens to a blank page. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
post #13 of 18 Old 10-06-2013, 03:58 PM

On reading your post, I just tried opening mine on my iMac using 7.8.1 and it worked successfully. I've had no problems since doing the Java upgrades on either computer. The software works fine, like it always did, except for the 'Java-interlude'. Good luck,
post #14 of 18 Old 10-08-2013, 12:04 PM

I called Logitech support and there was a update for java to fix this, even though it never showed up as a update, on my Mac! It's now working correctly!!
post #15 of 18 Old 10-10-2013, 02:58 PM

Good for you. Glad that all is now well. Incidentally, I solved my 'dual-Comcast-adapter' problems. I set the HD-recorder Comcast adapter to RF only, in order that it WON'T respond to the Harmony remote's signals, which are IR only. I use the Harmony remote to feed IR signals to the TV Comcast adapter, which sits right next to the other adapter. The Harmony(in this context) only changes channels, etc on the TV adapter, while the supplied Comcast remote, only sends out RF to change channels on the HD-recorder adapter. (Of course, I can change the channels to record a morning show, then later change them to record a different evening show- WITHOUT, even turning on the HD recorder setup). The only drawback is that I have to pick up the Comcast remote from the drawer to do this. However, I'm still going to explore some 'pairing' possibilities to use ONLY the Harmony Remote, but this solution is working well for now, and I'm a little "flipped-out" :-))))) for now. Regards, Mike
post #16 of 18 Old 10-10-2013, 03:37 PM

Glad you for it working.
post #17 of 18 Old 10-10-2013, 05:52 PM
DGF

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyons07 View Post

Glad you for it working.

And they say literacy is a dying art form.... biggrin.gif
post #18 of 18 Old 03-12-2014, 09:49 PM

Was having the same problem! Tried a lot of different things. Finally one simple thing worked.

Use the usb cord that is supplied with your harmony remote. For my usb cord it has a bulky thing in the wire so I know the difference between that and other wires around my house.I pretty sure this will solve most peoples issues.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech Harmony One Advanced Universal Remote

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page