Logitech Harmony 800 QWERTY - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 70 Old 03-09-2012, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
There have been several rumors circulating that Logitech has been working on a new Harmony remote with full QWERTY keyboard. Well folks, it looks like we have confirmation that this will in fact be coming soon.

A member of the Logitech Forums noticed the moniker Logitech Harmony 800 QWERTY and when he raised the question another helpful member shared this link to tera.lv - a reseller in Latvia. Tera has posted this picture and these details:

"The Logitech Harmony® 800 Remote. The keys to entertainment for your PC-connected home theater. A backlit, slide-out keyboard for easy text entry.* A color touch screen that shows the controls you need-like a touchpad to point and click when you`re browsing the web, or a number pad when you`re watching broadcast TV."

Of course, anyone can post what they want on the World Wide Web but the fact that this remote will exist can be confirmed by current tests submitted to the FCC. Unfortunately, most of the FCC documents are sealed until April 1, 2012 but this wireframe confirms the photograph on Tera.lv.

Jim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 Old 03-09-2012, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

I need this in my life especially if it has bluetooth (which it almost has to have to be functional). My 720 is starting to die.
Huge images from http://www.electroworld.se that show the touchscreen can now emulate a touchpad mouse complete with left and right click.
Looks like they packed the good stuff from the dinovo mini into this remote.

Built a new home, now filling it with sights and sounds!
post #3 of 70 Old 03-09-2012, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Bluetooth? Not sure how that would help anything. If it is going to be something other than IR and RF then my guess would be WiFi. My TV, AVR, and HTPC don't have Bluetooth, but they all have IP control.

Now if they can just use something other than myharmony.com for programming then it might be a worthy remote.

post #4 of 70 Old 03-09-2012, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

There are mentions in the FCC document to the Harmony Link which is WiFi so I wonder if it would somehow include IP control. That would be a huge leap (but a welcomed one) for Logitech.

Jim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 70 Old 03-10-2012, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Wow looks nice... Hopeful, but cautious that Logitech will do something regrettable with the programming/software.

post #6 of 70 Old 03-11-2012, 06:33 PM

Liked: 10
I have to admit that I am very surprised by this remote and if done right, I think it could be a good remote to own.

Still I am surprised by the number of buttons that they left off of the remote. for example, I am very surprised that they didn't include the Red, Green, Yellow, Blue buttons that are pretty much standard on all of the new remotes.

While I am sure that you could make soft buttons on the display for these, it still appears to me to be a big over sight by Logitech to leave these buttons off.

I also have to wonder how they will impliment the keyboard support. If it can work with any remote that is curretly using the numeric style alpha support, then I can see it being very valuable to those of us that hate to type using the numeric style support. (I suspect that this will depend on how the orginal remote supports the entery of letters and what commands it sends to yeild them.)

I also agree that the software needs to be better and offer sequence macro support for it to be better than what they offer today.

(Sure would be nice if it offered DirecTV RF support native to the remote! <- To dream...)
post #7 of 70 Old 03-13-2012, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 346
I found a PDF brochure HERE.

post #8 of 70 Old 03-13-2012, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

"Logitech Unifying receiver" Well, no bluetooth then. Makes the keyboard/mouse functions useless to me, but you folks with HTPCs/MMMCs should be happy.

I like the compact, vertical, charging base, so I could still be interested.

post #9 of 70 Old 03-13-2012, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 176
So this thing doesn't even have RF? I guess it will only be programmed using myharmony.com too.

post #10 of 70 Old 03-13-2012, 08:21 PM

regarding missing buttons, I'm a little concerned too. There are no device selection buttons for changing from TV, to Receiver, to HTPC, to DVR etc...

I guess that touch screen is going to be the answer to all shortcomings of the button limitations?
post #11 of 70 Old 03-13-2012, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by azazel View Post

regarding missing buttons, I'm a little concerned too. There are no device selection buttons for changing from TV, to Receiver, to HTPC, to DVR etc...

I guess that touch screen is going to be the answer to all shortcomings of the button limitations?

No harmony works that way. Device buttons are always on the LCD. Imagine how unwieldy it would be to have hard buttons for every device on an 18 device remote. Besides, harmony isn't a device based remote, it's activity based. You should rarely, if ever, use device mode. So in that regard it's identical to all other harmony models.

I'm more concerned it will be as featureless as the current models like the Link and 900. It would be nice if the qwerty keyboard replaced triple-tap number key text entry on devices like TVs, DVRs and disc players, but I highly doubt it. I'm not about to buy a $300 remote for HTPC control when I can to it today with a $2 iOS/Android app.

post #12 of 70 Old 03-14-2012, 12:08 AM

I've yet to find anything to replace my Gyration Air Music remote which is on it's way out (Y-Axis doesn't work so mouse is essentially useless).

I want RF for flexibility, and mouse control, plus all normal media keys, and ability to power on/off TV, Receiver, Amp, and change inputs on receiver, etc.

I can do all of this with Gyration, but having to type on keyboard is a pain as I have to pull the keyboard out of the drawer etc since I don't use it much.

This Logitech looks to be able to do it all in 1 handheld device, full equipment control including htpc media, mouse, and keyboard.
post #13 of 70 Old 03-14-2012, 02:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hmmm.. Where are the hard buttons for the four colors found on most remote!! That is one of my major gripe on my Harmony One, and having to program soft buttons for them for each activity onto the touch screen.
post #14 of 70 Old 03-14-2012, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 37
There goes what little hope I had...

Anyone else scan that QR code on the pdf? It brought me to Logitech's site but the product that came up was the touch mouse M600.

post #15 of 70 Old 03-18-2012, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

I think this is can now be completely confirmed since Logitech has quietly removed the original inquiry thread from their forum.
We'll see what gets announced around April Fools Day.

post #16 of 70 Old 03-19-2012, 05:22 AM

It's available now in Germany,.175 Euro cheapest I can find.
looks like a 200Euro retail.

week or 2 and widely available.

Cant post links sorry.

Today is Monday 19th March.

### Actually only available as a pre order ####
post #17 of 70 Old 04-04-2012, 02:30 AM

Any update on this remote on more specs, price, release?
post #18 of 70 Old 04-04-2012, 05:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I have a loyalty 50% off coupon that expires on the 21 of this month, so im hoping its out by then! Haven't heard anything new since everything in this thread came out.

Gamertag: Fargus
Playstation ID: Fargus79
post #19 of 70 Old 04-11-2012, 12:23 AM

It's available on pre order from 2 shops here in Germany.
But hey haven't updated there site page since my last post.
Shop
and
Shop
post #20 of 70 Old 04-14-2012, 05:10 PM

Liked: 14
Really hoping it will have RF...and aside from the missing color buttons this looks like a great remote.

Interested to see the changes once we get to see the final version.
post #21 of 70 Old 04-23-2012, 03:23 PM

Any news on a release date?
post #22 of 70 Old 04-23-2012, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBBoy View Post

Any news on a release date?

Not that I've seen, but Logitech will be announcing their quarterly results on Wednesday the 25th. That would be a great time to announce new product, especially since last quarterly result they admitted to being behind on upgrading the Harmony line.

If there's no announcement this week, I'll probably go ahead and pick up a Harmony One. My 720 is spontaneously rebooting daily now and the 3 and 5 buttons are nearly completely dead.

post #23 of 70 Old 04-25-2012, 07:35 AM

Liked: 14
I hope this is not the final design, while it does many things great it's missing some key features. I feel having the 4 dedicated colored buttons is a must, also I think they could make the screen larger and do away with the arrow left and right keys and simply make it "swipe" left and right for addition pages.
post #24 of 70 Old 05-14-2012, 10:49 AM

Liked: 148
Any new info on this remote?
post #25 of 70 Old 05-21-2012, 01:02 PM

Looks like it was pushed back from the end of June to the beginning of July.
post #26 of 70 Old 05-21-2012, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

LOL, I gave up and bought a One.

Oh well, this one probably doesn't support sequences like all the other recent Harmony remotes anyway.

post #27 of 70 Old 05-28-2012, 10:20 AM

Here is some info on the Logitech Unifying Receiver which will come with the Harmony 800 to send the keyboard commands to a connected device via USB.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/349/6072
post #28 of 70 Old 05-30-2012, 05:44 AM

I wonder if you HAVE to use it, or if you CAN use it. For people who control a set top box via their HTPC, an IR Blaster is needed and this does not appear to support one.
post #29 of 70 Old 05-30-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

I wonder if you HAVE to use it, or if you CAN use it. For people who control a set top box via their HTPC, an IR Blaster is needed and this does not appear to support one.

Sure you can. The remote is still an IR remote for all of the remote buttons. The keyboard and mouse controls are just using logetechs standard bluetooth univeral adapter. There is an on/off switch on the keyboard that probably turns on the bluetooth transmitter. Think of the device as a logitech IR remote, a logitech bluetooth keyboard, and a bluetooth mouse in 1 package.
post #30 of 70 Old 05-30-2012, 08:41 AM

Ah, cool. Was worried for a bit. Do you know if the keyboard works via IR as well, or bluetooth only? Bluetooth will not work in my situation at all.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech R800 Presentation Remote Control 100 Ft Presentation Remote , Logitech Harmony 720 Universal Remote
Gear in this thread - R800 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page