Harmony One/Dish Network Hopper issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-16-2012, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys, I am not sure what I need here to fix this issue, if it can be fixed. I have 2 Harmony One remotes. Just upgraded Dish Network receivers to a Hopper and 2 Joey's. The remotes for the Hopper and Joey's are rf. They are all set on different frequencies so that they do not interfere with each other. Is my solution one of the rf extenders? How do I find the right frequency? Can I still customize the harmony one? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-17-2012, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

I too am interested in this topic. Have the same hopper setup and wondering if my harmony 1100 is now going to be a paperweight?
post #3 of 7 Old 03-17-2012, 11:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 429
To use your Harmony (or any universal) with the Hopper, enable IR mode in the Remote Manager on the Hopper. It should also work with your Joeys, but all should use address 1 now. Joey is supposed to have an IR receiver which sends commands to the main Hopper via MOCA. The nice thing about Hopper is IR and RF work simultaneously, so you can use universal IR remotes and the UHF Dish remotes at the same time. My IR universal remote is working fine with Hopper using the same Dish codes as the VIP 922, address 1.

No universal remote will work directly with Dish RF. The Hopper remote model 40.0 uses a new advanced 2-way RF system called ZigBee which is essentially an RF remote PAN with pairing, discovery and encryption like Bluetooth. I wouldn't expect that to be integrated into any universal remotes anytime soon.
post #4 of 7 Old 03-17-2012, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mdave, thanks. Got it working now. I even left the receivers hidden and it still works.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-17-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

To use your Harmony (or any universal) with the Hopper, enable IR mode in the Remote Manager on the Hopper. It should also work with your Joeys, but all should use address 1 now. Joey is supposed to have an IR receiver which sends commands to the main Hopper via MOCA. The nice thing about Hopper is IR and RF work simultaneously, so you can use universal IR remotes and the UHF Dish remotes at the same time. My IR universal remote is working fine with Hopper using the same Dish codes as the VIP 922, address 1.

No universal remote will work directly with Dish RF. The Hopper remote model 40.0 uses a new advanced 2-way RF system called ZigBee which is essentially an RF remote PAN with pairing, discovery and encryption like Bluetooth. I wouldn't expect that to be integrated into any universal remotes anytime soon.

Just saw the new Hopper and Joey in action, does anyone have this, got a few questions:

1. Is there an interface for connecting a Blu-Ray player to the hopper for whole house Blu-Ray distribution from a equipment closet?

2. Is there an interface for connecting a HTPC to view movies direct from this for whole house distribution?

Thanks
Nik
post #6 of 7 Old 03-20-2012, 07:21 AM

Don't believe there will be Blu-Ray support on the hopper. Currently with my DISH VIP722 and Panasonic Blu-Ray, I plug the HDMI directly into my Onkyo receiver. But back to your second question concerning whole house distribution. The Hopper is DLNA compliant and shouldl work with DLNA servers like that from my Windows Home Server 2011, DLNA software like Serviio and Playon.TV. At least that is what I hope is true. The spec sheet says both the Hopper and your 3 Joeys will be able to receive DLNA transmissions for VIdeo- MKV, MP4; Music- MP3,; Images- JPG. I'll know more tomorrow when they install my Hopper and Joeys. Also, keep in mind that DISH's software running on their new boxes may still be prelim and we may see numerous updates throughout their lives. I'm really excited about all the video options that will be available "Out-of-the-box". - Craig
post #7 of 7 Old 03-20-2012, 08:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 429
DLNA is a no-go on my Hopper and Serviio. I've seen reports it works with PlayOn and a few others. Let us know if you get it going. A lot of people on the other boards are searching for a good DLNA/Hopper solution.

I like Nik's idea of piggy-backing other devices on Hopper's MOCA. Maybe two MOCA systems could coexist on the same coax. It's worth a try I guess. In any case, any non-Dish devices will need their own transmitter. I personally use wireless HD distribution for many of my devices. It works very well. I would go wired if I could, but pulling new cables in my house would be very difficult.
Reply Remote Control Area